Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    The pivot cut outs in the rear wheel well area is the part I was referring to that the plastic slide piece covers. I think about a month ago Drew posted some photos. You may find them if you go back a few dozen pages in this forum. If not, I can take some photos and email them to you.

rs
  • js888js888 Member Posts: 11
    Ken:

Thanks again for your reply!

Joe
  • jazzi777jazzi777 Member Posts: 1
    Drew,
    I have found this board extremely helpful on my search for the best SUV in the market for my family requirements. I have come to the conclusion that the ML 320 with a third row seat is what we need. I am presently waiting for the 2002 models to arrive.
    My question is with regards to this possible Bose CD/Third Row problem I have been hearing about. My dealer has mentioned that they will be receiving several 2002 models with a third row seat in the next 2 weeks. They did mention that these models with a third row seat cannot have a Bose CD systems in them. They could not explain why or elaborate more.
    In addittion, it was also mentioned on message #4184 that there is a Bose/Third Row problems. Could you or anyone else please clarify what the problem is if there's any at all?
    Thanks in advance.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Glad to read that you're enjoying this discussion topic.

I haven't heard anything, but I'll try to find out more information tomorrow. Do keep in mind that I'm in Canada though, my information will most likely come from Canadian sources.

You may want to call your dealer to ask for more information about this. You can also phone the MBUSA 1-800-FOR-MERC number and speak to a rep. They may be able to confirm or deny this right there and then.

I would find it very odd if the 3rd row cannot be ordered with the Bose system. I'm not aware of any engineering changes that would restrict this other than the two additional D-pillar speakers. The ML500's in Canada will probably have the Bose system as standard equipment, and they will definitely be available with the 3rd row seats.
    Keep in mind that occasionally, dealers may tell untruths to their clients due to a mix-up or problem with their ordering process. I don't know if this is happening in this case, and I wouldn't presume either, but it really is not unheard of, MB dealer or otherwise.
    The plastic slid covers will cover the two pivot slots/integrated anchors where the 3rd row seats attach to. They are hidden when the 3rd row seats are removed, so that don't have the gaps in the wheelwell walls.

The covers are not installed in the following picture. The handle on the bottom of the seat is what is used to release the pivots from their anchors:

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I never noticed them in my cargo compartment because I put the cargo nets on the sides :-)
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Drew,

I saw the picture of the net thing on the front passenger side tranny, looks nice. Where did you get those? You mentioned that it was easy to install.

Thanks.
  • robsutsrobsuts Member Posts: 18
    Just spoke to my dealership. They stated that the MSRPs will not be available until next month. I have found this discussion group to be invaluable in making my decision to purchase a new 320. I originally ordered an alabaster white one, but changed it to silver since no color sample were available. My dealership just got in an alabaster white SLK -- I think I'll go and look at it today and decide if I should ask to change it back (they'll lecture me again).
    Anyone have any opinions on that color?

If it wasn't for this forum, I would have LEASED another Bravada. Nothing against that vehicle -- I leased a 1999 model. The plastic front seat skirts broke off (passenger side) and the rear hatch leaked when it rained. I hope I've made the right decision by purchasing the ML instead of leasing. Opinions?
    The numbers posted are right. The dealer probably just refuses to tell you what they know ;-)
    As for your Bravada...well..... :-)
  • ml430s40ml430s40 Member Posts: 14
    I find it hard to believe that the price of a new ML500 only went up 750.00. Especially with all the new features like: Dual Climate Control, Bigger Engine, Window Airbags, Mirrors w/Signals, Front Fog Lights, Front and Rear Lights, Bumpers, etc. Are those prices confirmed? If so, wouldn't that lower the value of the ML430? Would there still be a market for used 430s?
    I'm sure 1998/1999 owners felt the same way...
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    The latest is that my '02 ML320 was built 8/9/01 and the dealer has the VIN number. I did not get the Bose but I did get the M7 third row seat package. The dealer said they are just waiting for them to release the vehicles so not sure about the delay but I did not get the Bose. I called Mercedes and they said on the phone that the '02 prices have been released so what you have seen on the net are the actual prices.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Base MSRP prices were released on Mon 8/13/01. The option prices have been available for several weeks now. If you would like to see an ordering guide there is a link at the bottom that takes you to one.

ML320 $36,300

ML500 $44,950

ML55 $65,900

Met Paint $495

Bose (168) $1200

Xenon (172) $875

Parktronic (220) $1,015

Heated seats (873) 635

M1 (107) $1,635

M2 (105) $1,275

M3 (103) $800

M5 (105) $1,295

M6 (772) $3,350

M7 (152) $1,180

Spc Paints $1,000

designo $4,100

Destination $645

from dealer newsletter: "MY02 is not a Revolution but a solid Evolution"

Link: http://content.communities.msn.com/CLKOwnersDiscussion/2002mlorderguide.msnw

Note: there seems to be problem with MSN displaying photos today; so just click on the individual photos to bring it up.

• sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Just another note, invoice pricing will not be available until dealers actually get them which will hopefully be in a few weeks or sooner.
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone know of the best source for M CLASS TOYS (ie; wheels, rims, nets, cargo covers, grills, etc)

Neicey (still ironing the bugs out of my 2001 ML)
  • moeck1moeck1 Member Posts: 4
    For those of you with my 2001's that have the false reading and phone connection problems: MBZ has released a software fix for the NAV unit which can be uploaded into the MCS unit. The dealer here in San Jose is waiting for the arrival of the software.
    If you have phone connection problems, it will require replacing the MCS unit at this point so get on the waiting list!
    Mo Eckley
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Anyone have an idea what that guy is up to? From what I can see, he's bought a new ML (he states "never been used") and has then removed the frame, and then removed the engine from the frame (AFAIK, the engine is normally attached to the frame and not to the body. In the background of the photo, one can see the ML body sitting (on stands, I presume) in the garage. Is some kind of mega-monster-ML in the making??

Thanks to Tarik for finding this!

Kind regards from Europe,

Birger
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    How good is this Topsider Oil from BoatUS.com ? I'm seriously thinking about purchasing it. Do I need any other accessories with this Topsider?
    Item #162027 @ $34.99 Thanks in advance.

'01 ML430
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    WHat about having an independent garage do the brakes, e.g. sears, goodyear, midas etc. any of you did this. 329 is a lot of $$ for frequent changes.
    thanks
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Eugene,
    Midas can do it for you, but I think they are using hard brake pads that's why they are offering a lifetime warraty. The down fall on having a hard pads is your rotor will wear out fast, or if you are a handy man you can do it yourself, just buy a OEM pads and some elbow job and viola.... you can save money. Visit www.mercedesshop.com if you want some idea how to do it. Click the DIY section.
    www.mercedesshop.com
  • cea3409cea3409 Member Posts: 1
    Hi lemongrass,

I have the topsider but I have not used with my ML yet. I have used to change oil for my Acura integra and it works wonderful. If you change oil yourself, get it. Oil change in 15 min. and no mess. One sugguestion, losen the oil filter before suck the oil out or you will have a hard time to remove it.
    I fear Midas. My father-in-law has gotten a few mufflers from there. They invariably rusted out within two years. Lifetime warrantee, but you get whacked w/ labor every time you go and I suspect this is where they make their money...
    Do they even do MLs? I don't think it's on a consistent basis. The last time I checked, just for interest-sake, they wouldn't even touch MBzs. Plus they're not that cheap anyway.

Regarding the labour Ken, as I mentioned to you a while back, in my area, they only charge taxes. The pads and labour are free!
    Yes, those prices are confirmed. I think that there would still be a market for the ML430s, especially for those people who want a bit more power than the ML320, but not the fuel consumption from the larger 5.0L V8. With the MSRP being increased by only a marginal amount, you can almost bet that the profit margins have shrank again, and hence reduced bargaining room. Considering what you're getting for the money, the vehicle is very reasonably priced.
    I don't change the oil myself so I don't have a Topsider, but from what I've read from others, it works very well.
    Must be different in Canada..we get whacked labor here AFAIK. Of course, this is only 2nd hand info since I've never gone there....and that was on a Volvo ;-)
    What are you looking for specifically? The items that you listed were pretty general. Your MB dealer carries wheels, brushguards, etc.

Drew
    Host
    I wonder if it's the labour for exhaust systems that they charge on? Afterall, it's a lot more time consuming than just replacing brake pads. Or were you referring to brake pads too?
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Drew,Ken,
    I found this info. that Midas do ML brakes from other side of the board mbnz.org and for the same reason they want to save some money on labor, but I am with Ken, Midas cannot touch my ML,NO CHANCE.
    I'm not sure about brakes. I know he's used them before, but don't remember him replacing them as much as the muffler...
  • kozzy01kozzy01 Member Posts: 4
    I finally had the 2000 ML430 (16,200 miles) evaluated for poor front tire wear. Both front tires were worn down to near the wear-bar indicators on the insides of the tires.
    MB rotated the tires, and realigned the front end, which was out of alignment. (I hadn’t rotated the tires previously). They thought the worn tires had about 8K miles left, which they claim is average for the H-rated ML430 tires. Since it was beyond 12 months and 12K miles, total charge was about $225. I recommend that everyone have their alignment checked and tires rotated before 12 months or 12,000 miles, so MB pays the bill.

Service was performed at RBM of Atlanta (R B and M are the initials of original owners’ names). Overall, I was happy with the service they provided except I should have taken it in before hitting 12K miles
    When I got the 2000 ML430 back from service, I noticed that the MCS screen light level did not dim after turning on the headlights. It’s always dimmed in the past, so I thought maybe something was reprogrammed.

After messing around with it for a while, I realized that if you start the vehicle with the MCS off and turn on the headlights before turning on the MCS, the MCS will turn on with bright illumination and stay bright even if you turn your lights off and back on later in the trip.

If your MCS is already on and the headlights are turned on afterwards, then the screen dims. If you turn your headlights off, the screen brightens.

I guess this might be a 2000 ML feature.(?) Autodimming if your driving for a while and have to turn the lights on, but no dimming if you already have your lights on and then turn on the MCS. In either scenario, you can override the screen brightness with the soft-touch buttons.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    The proposed prices of the 2002 ML500 don't bother me at all. Even though I paid about the same for a 2000 ML430, corrected for inflation, and don't have the new features (e.g., upgraded sheet metal and lights, bigger engine, side airbag curtains, better climate control, etc.), the trade-off is that I've been enjoying driving my ML for the past 1.5 years. Today, I still enjoy everytime I get into the ML. The 2000 ML is still a great and safe vehicle and was a great value when I purchased it.

Sure, I would like to have most of the new features, but none of them make me feel like I have to upgrade, and I probably won't for 5+ years. By that time, the impact of the new features in 2002 will have less of an effect. I'm looking forward to the features of the 2007 MBs, which should be awesome.
  • tracy_lebtracy_leb Member Posts: 39
    Re Topsider: I have one and use it for all 5 of our vehicles, plus 2 lawn mowers. Excellent tool. Warm the engine first. Also before you start to remove the oil, unscrew the filter just to the end of the screw to permit it to drain. Wait about 20 minutes before removing the filter housing after doing this, or you’ll have a messsssssss.

Re tire rotation: If I recall correctly recently MB announced that the tires should be rotated and balanced more often than their lame-o FSS system pays for. The old rule was to rotate & balance every 3,000 miles. Sadly this will end up costing as much as the tires do, over the tire life, so you really gain nothing except more even wear at approximately 2x the cost of the tires. So the compromise is about every 8,000 miles. If you use the ML in town, more often will help. If it’s only used for road trips, you can go 8,000 miles easily.

Regards,

…Tracy
    For those who have had a trailer hitch installed, how much did you pay? My dealer has quoted me 460.00 for the hitch kit and installation. Sounds like a lot.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I think I'm one of the few people here who's had the dealer install one after delivery. I was quoted around $500 installed, and decided to go to a Draw Tight dealer for about half the money. Upon speaking with the owner he said that they would do it, but to make it look like the factory one (behind the bumper cover) would require removing the cover. Since it is painted, he would not take liability for any damage done to the cover. Long story short, I went to the dealer and had it done. Luckily (I guess) there were a few other issues with the car, and I only ended up paying around $260 for it (installation only) to compensate me for the four days they had my truck.
    The cover is actually really easily removed. I'm surprised that the Draw-Tite dealer was worried about it. The middle cover removal is necessary to gain access to the drop down spare tire carrier anyway.
    There are other hitches out there on the market, however, they are less fancy than the MB hitch. I'm not sure if they have the electrical connectors either. Here are a couple of messages that you may be interested in.
    hilld "MB M-Class Owners: Accessories & Modifications" Aug 5, 2001 3:47pm

drew "MB M-class Owners: Accessories & Modifications"

Clairparts.com sells the trailer hitch for $250:
    http://www.clairparts.com/shop/accessories.cfm?do=list&&cat_id=241

Drew
    Host
  • lemongrasslemongrass Member Posts: 21
    Is it true Michelin Cross Terrain tires ride smoother and quieter than Dunlop Grandtrek? I have the Dunlop Grandtrek right now and it's so far so good, but a little bit rough and noisy (could it be the tread design?). What about Pirelli Scorpion Zero?
  • noelbongnoelbong Member Posts: 41
    Drew, someone was saying his ML had bad lifters at 20,000 miles, can you tell me what bad lifters sound like? like a diesel engine?
    Has anyone installed all-weather mats and if so, how do you like them. I have seen the MB ones but they do not cover the middle portion of the back seat where my son sits. I have read that the WeatherTech ones work good but haven't seen any pictures of the rear mats. I have seen that the Husky rear does cover the whole back floor but they aren't as nice to look at.

As for child seats, I will be in the need of an infant/child seat soon with our second child coming in December. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, our new Volvo S40 has the ISOFIX setup built in. At first I thought this would be great to have both new cars with this setup and thought I should have waited for the 2002 but have recently read that ISOFIX child seats are not transferrable to different cars yet. Just thought others may want to know.
  • sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    ml430s40

As my youngest is 5, I don't have much experience with the latest infant seats. I did, however, just return from caring for my 8-week-old niece (family emergency). I put her Century infant carrier (the removable, carry-through-the-store kind) in the middle of the 2nd row and wasn't happy with how loose it fit. As hard as I tried, I couldn't secure it so that it didn't slide back and forth. I'm assuming a tether would have been needed.

I purchased the Baby Smart booster seat for my 5 year old. It was pricey--he usually sits in the middle of the 2nd row, but there have been times I've had to put him in the front passenger seat--knowing the car seat disables the airbag has been well worth the cost. I've never used the Baby Smart infant seat, so I can't tell you how well it fits.

Sharon
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone know if the Digital Trip Computer, specifically the compass function, will be a standard feature in MY02 ML320?

According to the MY02 Option Pricing Information, the Trip COmputer (w/electronic compass mode) is part of Option 102 (therefore, it is not standard). However, according to 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES, it is a standard for MY02. What gives?

Thanks for all your response to my RFI re: 3rd row seats. You guys are awesome.

Mike
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    We have a two year old and had a Century seat when he was smaller and now have a Britex, which although it's very expensive, is the best seat I've had to deal with. It's easy to move from car to car, and also said to be one of the safest seats out there. We will be getting a Britex booster seat as soon as he needs it. You can't spend too much for your child's safety.

I would also be curious to know if the Baby Smart seat can be used in other vehicles besides MB.
    bertram60

My Baby Smart booster (I think they may call it a toddler seat) is a Britax. I've been very pleased with the construction.

I think the "Baby Smart" technology is proprietary--but I may be wrong. I can use the booster in any car, but it will only turn off the air bag in a Mercedes equiped with baby smart. It would be great if the car manufacturers would come up with a standard technology for this.

Sharon
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Britax seats are great. However, as an alternative to buying a Britax booster seat, please consider the Britax Super Elite (you can see it at their web site at www.childseat.com).

The Super Elite is a forward-facing-only restraint that keeps a child 22-80 lbs in a five-point harness. Thus, it's a good alternative to boosters, using a more secure five-point restraint, than the vehicle's lap and shoulder belt. Most boosters only go up to 80 lbs though Britax does make one that goes to 100 lbs.

Some children may not like being restrained in a five-point, but if a child has been kept in a five-point in the convertible he or she will probably be more accustomed to it.

The Super Elite is also expensive (about $200) but is great. Unfortunately, Britax is having manufacturing problems so after a short introduction, it isn't available at this time but will be in the Fall of this year.
    wmquan--
    That does look like a nice seat, do you know if Mercedes is offering a Baby Smart version?
    The Babysmart technology is developed by Siemens. Porsche also OEMs the same technology for the Porsche-brand child seats that are available for their cars.