Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    I too have the dreaded dash squeak and a rattle (ml430 '99). I think the squeak is the defrost vent that doesn't seem to fit quite right. Also the rattle was coming from the wiper cowling vibrating at anything over 35mph. In addition I get severe wind noise from the door seals, particularly the driver's side at the top of the door frame (I can put my fingers through the gap past the first set of seals). The service guys bent (yes bent) the door to make it a tighter fit at the top. They claim it just isn't shaped exactly right and bending it slightly decreases the gap the seals have to fill. Maybe I also need to try the old acquarium tube trick.
  • Options
    aj17aj17 Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading this site for 2 months now. I finally saved up enough money to purchase a 2000 ML320 and pay cash for it. Up until now I have owned Ford products exclusively. I have been driving a F150 for the last 4 years for work and have put on 102,000 miles. Don't talk to me about rattles or squeaks. My ML also has a rattle from the dash when it is cold, big deal - turn up your radio. Heat, try going 20 days without it because the ford dealership is too busy to fit you in. I will take a little more heat any time.

After looking at all the repair records for my 150, especially those done in the first 6 months of ownership, I am extremely happy with my ML.

So my advice to all you whiners is to relax and enjoy the great vehicle that we have all purchased. And count your blessings it is not a Ford.
  • Options
    hogster21hogster21 Member Posts: 38
    aj17 - Been there done that, but can you beat an engine replacement at 20,000mi? Ford that is, not MB.
  • Options
    blackmercedesblackmercedes Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my new 1999ML320 in Sept of 98. When I drove it off the lot it had a problem. You could start it while still in gear. 3 trips in to the dealership fixed it. Then the ignition had problems and had to be replaced. Would turn over and not start. 2 trips in to dealer and that was fixed. Took management out to Western Open golf outing to show off my new truck and one found a stress fracture in the back panel drivers side next to the back window. 2 trips to dealer to fix that. Rear windshield wiper broke. 2 trips to dealer for that. It rarely comes back washed from the dealer and now they charge you "gas" for the loaner they give you to do the warranty work on your truck! Plus they give a small compact car to drive while they have your MB. Just before 50,000 turned over I took it to another dealer to have it checked over well. Having trouble with "noise" sounding like from ignition. Ended up being a blower and that was replaced. Would whine and RPM's build up before shifting into 2nd and linkage was replaced. Rear wiper started "clunking" and that was replaced again. The day it turned over 50000 found the weatherstripping around sun roof had clip broken. Going to pick that up this week. I think there were other items but seems I can't remember them all!!! I love the ride, the amenities, the look but am having lots of problems with my 1st Mercedes. Hubby is still driving my Jeep Sport with 150,000 miles on it 125 miles a day with only a water pump replaced in 6 years other then regularly scheduled maintenance. I now change my oil in my ML every 3000 cause I don't trust it to be OK. A Mercedes mechanic suggested it and I don't think it's a bad idea. I hoped to keep my ML for years and hand it down to hubby and buy myself a new one! Can't say I'll do that now.
  • Options
    victuswvictusw Member Posts: 8
    I think it would be interesting to survey all the ML owners on this forum to find out whose ML is trouble free and whose not during the first year of ownership.
  • Options
    aj17aj17 Member Posts: 3
    When I purchased my 1997 Mustang Cobra I drove it home from the dealership (approx 6 miles) and parked in front of my house for about 20 minutes. When I came out there was a large puddle of transmission fluid under the car. I called the dealership, but because it was a Saturday they couldn't do anything until Monday. After keeping the car for 10 days and putting a new (rebuilt) transmission in it I drove it for 2 months before trading it in.

My wife's subaru outback needed a new engine at 13,000 miles. She put on another 70,000 miles on it before we got rid of it.

My point here is you can get a lemon with any manufacturer, however, you can reduce that possibility by purchasing something a brand with a good rep. Hopefully, this will not be my last MB. After giving Ford some many chances (6 new vehicles in 10 years) I will only give a brand one chance to get it right. I am tired of spending my hard earned money on crap.
  • Options
    parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    Read somewhere here about streaking windshield wipers and can't find the post.
    Did someone say you should clean them with lemon juice?
    I've tried cleaning the blades with windex, but they still streak when using the windshield washer.

BTW..just had the fog lights activated at the dealership. I installed the PIAA H3's myself.
    Seem's kinda strange that they're supposed to be illegal in MN (according to Roberts site) but yet the dealer didn't bat an eye. Just put it on the computer and activated them.
    Oh well, I'm certainly not complaining.

To Robert..excellant site, lots of good detailed instructions.
  • Options
    cpt1cpt1 Member Posts: 3
    Earlier today my '00 ML 320 with 800 miles displayed the check engine oil light while my husband was returning from the store. The light remained on for five minutes and was replaced by a warning which said minus two liters. We are taking it to the dealer in the morning to get it checked out. They said that it is either a broken sensor or too little oil due to the factory failing to top it up. We will check the dipstick later. Anyone out there with a similar experience? I hope that this is an isolated incident.
  • Options
    bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Man you like black death when it comes to cars.

Good luck with Ml. Sound to me like any car you buy turns to S--t.

2000 ml320, 15k, only a "wavy" center armrest (bubble). Knock on burl..........
  • Options
    mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    I ordered all-season floormats from the MB collection web-site for my new ML 320. However, when I received my order confirmation I found that it was backordered. Does anyone know how long it will take MB to ship a backordered item?

Thanks,
    Jamie
  • Options
    rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Your disccussion forum looks great. Also the MUCH needed FAQ looks great!

Everyone if you have a chance take a peek. Its something that we have needed.

http://www.keysolutions.com/m-class.nsf/

Robert
  • Options
    noelb1noelb1 Member Posts: 19
    The seat belt light of my '00 ML comes on when engine is started as it should, and then goes off when you buckle up, as it should. But if you take the belt off while the engine is running, the light does not come on again as it should. Anybody noticed this on his/her ML?
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Does anyone know what the ML320 revs, at 70mph?

Alson, does anyone sell a "Full Size" spare tire carrier for the inside. Iv'e seen one in the ML55. Does MB option this for the other 2 models?

- thanks
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Sorry for the lousy spelling.
  • Options
    evdavisevdavis Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I currently own a '99 320 and I am going to upgraded for numerous reasons, some for safety (seatbelt/teather) and some for "gadgets". :-) My question is if a 430 is worth 5k more than a somewhat closely configured 320 (leather/6 CD/etc). As far as I can see, the 5k difference is for the engine, rims, and tires.

Thoughts?

Evan

BTW, my '99 320 has been great.
  • Options
    cpt1cpt1 Member Posts: 3
    My local dealer told me that backordered mats could take a few weeks. I just received mine today from clairparts.com (they told me they were backordered but they arrived in ten days)$68 + shipping. If you can cancel your order try clairparts to see what they have available.
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    I wonder if that clunk that you heard could be from the torsion bar on the driver's side? This would be consistent with the "bed spring noise" that you mentioned. They may add shims to correct the noise.
  • Options
    Just to let both of you know, I just received that recall notice (for the buzzer/middle rear seatbelt reinforcement) for my 1st decade October/'99 2000 ML320. Since I haven't noticed any problems with buzzer and the middle seating position has probably only been used >10 times over the last 13 months, I'll be putting this off till Service A in about 2500 kms time.
  • Options
    I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the silicon spray stinking up the cabin. It's really odorless once you let some of it evaporate.

Keep us updated on the fix for your problem!
  • Options
    So, we're down to 1/2 century posts now, are we?! ;-)

BTW, how was your trip? Are the snows back on? I see that your area will probably get a mix of snow/rain later this week(end). I'm hoping that we'll get just snow in Vancouver :-) Can't wait and I certainly hope that the forecast is accurate.
  • Options
    Have you suggested the retrofit to the MY2K's double door seals? They do reduce wind noise noticably according to many who have done the retrofit.
  • Options
    That citric acid/lime juice remedy for streaking (of the wipers, that is ;-)) was mentioned in the E-class topic. You may want to try it + clean your wiper blades with a paper towel with some alcohol.
  • Options
    I think the seatbelt light is only supposed to come on during startup (along with the buzzer/beeper).
  • Options
    Haven't really paid attention to the revs, but I'm guessing 2500 rpms or below.

The ML55 has a compact spare, just like the regular MLs. There is not enough room for a full-size spare unless you buy the external spare tire carrier. This is only available as a factory option in Canada/Europe/Asia. There are aftermarket solutions (if you have the hitch) though.

Drew
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I'm in the process of revamping the site so it's not just my notebook of ML tidbits I've collected over the past few years.
  • Options
    bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I was getting concerned Drew we haven't heard from you.

Snow Tires : I don't recall anyone answering a question on snow tires I had a few months ago. How does the ML react with the standard General tires on snow and bad road conditions. Are snows really needed?

I would think with the AWD and traction control you wouldn't need them, but am looking for input form some folks who have gone through a winter with the ML already. I saw the Tire Rack tests and the ML did much better with the snows, as any vehicle would on a iced skid pad, but that is also their business so I would assume there were some half truths there.
  • Options
    howiebxhowiebx Member Posts: 20
    Hi - does anyone know if this is a fair price
    in NY
    39000 for ML320
    + sunroof
    + m1 pkg
    heated seats
    bose + cd changer
    metallic paint
  • Options
    We did have one m-class mailing list member who had to rock his ML out of his parking spot when he went skiing and got snowed in. He didn't try low range and also had OEM tires. I'm not sure snow tires would have helped. BFG ATs might have ;-)
  • Options
    atomic80atomic80 Member Posts: 24
    nah! Just saw that we were at 49 and I got excited and grabbed the "50" mark! But if we're gonna do the half century mark from now on, why the heck not!

I heard about the forecast this coming weekend! Snow level down to 1000 ft in my area! Whoo hoo! Looks like there's going to be quite a bit of snow in the mountains! Enough to go snowmobiling! I'm not driving the ML55 for that though. A friend of mine is taking his truck + camper up the mountains instead.

The trip went pretty good. I went through a bunch of twisties in the lower part of Oregon and upper parts of California. I drove at speeds I would've never attempted with the Jeep. The ML55 was fun to drive especially after I broke it in somewhere around Tacoma. The gas mileage however was horrible but we all know that can be blamed to my "lead" foot.

Also went up to Whistler right after Thanksgiving for 2 days too with the ML55. That's when I first got to drive the 55 in the snow. It did pretty good too. I didn't detect any slippage at all especially during tight turns nor did I see the ESP light flashing. These tires do pretty good. BTW, for you folks that're looking for winter tires for the ML55, I ended up getting a set of Dunlop Wintersport M2 in size 265/55HR-18 with the stock rims...they work GREAT although they're a bit noiser than the stock SP9000's.

Jason
  • Options
    Glad you're enjoying your 270CDI. Look forward to your review of the COMAND system.
    I'm curious what your instantaneous mileage is w/ the 270CDI. I've gotten a low of 8mpg on my ML320 during acceleration/city driving and a high of around 24mpg on the highway (it says 70mpg when coasting, but I don't believe it). I suspect I should be using cruise control more on the highway to maximize mileage. It's weird to watch the fuel needle almost move as you use it in the city, especially compared to my old Integra.
    I'm hoping MB will release an MLG-400CDI here to tempt me into breaking my 10yr upgrade rule :-)
  • Options
    Hi - Please does anyone know if this is a fair price in NY 39000 for ML320
    + sunroof
    + m1 pkg
    + heated seats
    + bose+cd changer
    + metallic paint
    thinking maybe wait for Acura MDX
  • Options
    howiebx : You forgot some important details, what year?

IMHO, the ML is a better choice than the Acura.
  • Options
    Thanks Bob year is 2001
    is this a fair price in NY, 2001 $39K for ML320
    + sunroof
    + m1 pkg
    + heated seats
    + bose+cd changer
    + metallic paint
    thinking maybe wait for Acura MDX
  • Options
    howiebx:
    In case you didn't know, MB's margins are only 7% as of the 2000 model year. Other manufacturers still have around a 15% margin. This severely limits how much a MB dealer is willing to deal. That said, it looks like you're getting roughly $1K off, so it's not bad.
    More importantly, why did you mention the MDX? Does it have some features you really really want? If so, you should probably wait. It's always better to take your time and make sure you made the right decision for yourself rather than trade your car in a few years afterwards because you're unhappy w/ it...
  • Options
    MDX is ~ $3k less, & has more power
    An ML feature I appreciate
    is rear door aribags (2 kids 9&11)

Acura MDX imo looks a little better
    and has 3rd row, drives as well as ML

Downside w/ MDX is paying MSRP
    AND 3 month wait !!! Most dealers
    are getting 1500-2K over MSRP

Any opinions on ML quality - hoping its
    better than prior years
  • Options
    howiebx...I agree with kenyee's comments. 39K for a 2001 seems like a fair price. Most dealers won't be willing to deal much more then that right now because of it being the new model year.

What I did when I was looking to buy was go to carorder.com and print out what they would sell one to me for and after a week of haggling got a fair price, within $500 of the web price, at the local dealer. Also try the web car sites compare tool and it will tell you the differences and weight the cost differences/trade-offs of the different models you are looking at. I was going to buy a Lexus RX300 till I did that, drove a ML and started to really look at the differences. To big an investment today to make a quick decision.

On that topic, I have never been as happy with a choice I made as I have been with the ML. A big thanks also goes to Drew (aling) as his comments on other boards made me do more research and end up buying the ML... What ever your choice enjoy!!!
  • Options
    howiebx:
    ML quality is average now. If you've been reading the MDX topic on Edmund's, you'll also see that the Odyssey (the MDX is based on parts of it and built at the same plant) is also average.
    I think you'll have to prioritize what you want: safety (ML is better), reliability (MDX is probably better, but w/ the Odyssey's lackluster reliability, I'm not so sure), price (MDX still cheaper even w/ absurd markups), durability, ergonomics, size, 3rd row use, maintenance cost, whether your local dealers are good, service departments, etc. The 2002 ML will also have curtain air bags and a minor face lift (will probably have the Sports pkg as standard would be my guess). I'd guess the 2002 MDX will have VSA/ESP and maybe real wood inside.
    You also don't have to wait for the MDX if you're willing to consider out-of-state purchase.
  • Options
    sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Hi Drew. Since I was having The Beast detailed, I had them do the recall work, too. I never noticed any problem with either area of work, but have noticed a very slight difference in the time the chimes last (slightly longer) now.

As mentioned earlier, I had them look at the transmission, and they re-shimmed somthing...don't know what, though. This morning I was able to get a really good test, too. It was brutally cold here in sunny southern California, barely 50 degrees :) and on my way down the street from my house the engine revved as high as before when cold, but when it shifted it was a nice, smooth one with no lurching or clunking.

So if anyone is having similar shifting "anomalies", then I suggest having your dealer look at it.
  • Options
    jonathancijonathanci Member Posts: 2
    I think 39,000 is pretty decent price, considering the dealers in northern cal were not really discounting at all on the 2001 models.
    Before I bought my 2000 ml320 about a month ago, I too considered the MDX thinking it was a much better value. I did drive it, and I think the drive is pretty similar. The third seat is nice but it is only for kids or really small adults. The interior is laid out quite nicely as well.

But I think the MB ML320 has much more character, an the Acura stlying is so so. Like with most of Japanese cars, one would get tired of it easily, in my opinion. Also, the big factor against MDX is that they are not discounting at all. They are adding dealer markup plus the wait as you mentioned. With that, I did not see any incentive in going with the Acura.
  • Options
    hogster21hogster21 Member Posts: 38
    Can't resist...

After I took delivery and was driving my '99ML430 home form the dealer, the radio was making loud popping noises (fixed - replaced radio - after 3 trips back) and a startling rattling noise underneath the truck - the emergency break cable supports were broken off - fixed after one trip back.

But, my friend still takes the honors - He was driving his brand new, shiny Dodge Intrepid off the dealer lot and never made it out - a huge tree branch fell across the hood of the car an totalled it...
  • Options
    100!

Drew
  • Options
    LOL, that must have been one heck of a large branch! Did your friend take it as a sign that he wasn't meant to drive an Intrepid?
  • Options
    Thanks for your concern. No, I'm doing just fine. Have been busy lately, which is why I was reading the posts in bulk and posting likewise.

I suppose it depends on how much snow/ice you get, Bob. One could argue that if you get more than a few days of (moderate to heavy) snow per season, that you should consider the dedicated winter tires.

The OE tires are pretty good though. The open tread design is great in that it doesn't clog up with snow as easily as the closed tread passenger car tires (ex. on the Lexus RX300). Incidentally, this open tread design is part of the reason why the ML is not completely on-road biased. I'm not sure about the Generals, but the Dunlops have a self cleaning tread design.

As long as you take a cautious approach when cornering/braking, the OE tires should be fine; ESP can only do so much. Better yet, drive into an empty snow covered parking lot and try turning/braking/accelerating with and w/o ESP. That should give you a good feel of the limits of the vehicle as well as the tires. Plus, it's just fun if you can sneak in a couple of donuts (in the snow, that is) :-)
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    It's not so impressive if you skip numbers to get to a 100. Why not next time, do it the fair way and see who the REAL lucky person is.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    Good to hear that you're enjoying the ML55. I heard somewhere that Tirerack has sold out all of the Winter Sports. They're not officially available from Dunlop USA either, BTW. If this is true, you were one of the lucky ones to be able to get a set.

As your vehicle gets broken in more, fuel economy should improve slightly. However, I know that the acceleration from that AMG tuned engine can be addictive :-)

Drew

P.S. Mark Just something silly that we do...nothing to be impressed about ;-)
  • Options
    noelb1noelb1 Member Posts: 19
    Guys, it is amazing how you guys can get so much fun out of a race in getting to a certain number of posting! I can't imagine the amount of fun you get out of your ML. : )

By the way, didn't remember reading anything on the ml manual on warming up the engine on cold days. Do you recommend letting the engine warm up on idle or driving slowly? Please advise.
  • Options
    xcursionxcursion Member Posts: 3
    Poople with 3rd row seats watch out!
    When the seats are hung on either side, make sure any cargo (boxes,etc) you place in between them do not press against the seat base.
    The seats have a plastic base that easily cracks into pieces when any pressure is applied.
    The worst part is these plastic plates are in short supply. Had to wait 5 weeks for the parts to arrive.
  • Options
    atomic80atomic80 Member Posts: 24
    well at least I got the halfway mark as opposed to grabbing the century mark! ;-P

It's really fun racing to see who grabs the century marks whenever we can! Kinda adds to the fun but scribbling the numbers before the "century" marks...I'm not so sure if that's fairgame! Maybe we should come up with a rule that we have to wait til it's at 99 or 199 or so forth before going to the century mark. Just a thought, aling! :)

I was wondering why they were no longer showing those Dunlop Wintersport tires on tirerack.com. I guess everybody else thought that they'd need those tires too and bought them out all at once or maybe tirerack just decided not to renew their supplies. Do they sell those tires up in Vancouver though? I'd hate to have to worry about where to get replacements once these tires of mine wear out.

You're right....there's nothing like the rush you experience when you floor the pedal and surge on ahead past everybody else! AMG power really rocks!

Jason
  • Options
    Okay, how about this. For those who are interested in our pathetic attempt at competition , no scribbling posts unless it is >=5 to the next century. I will say this though, we'll only have one or two chances to do this (posts #200 or 300). After two weeks, something will change and it won't really be possible anymore.

Yes, MB Canada dealerships do offer the Winter Sport tires. I believe they have an agreement with Dunlop Germany or something like that, to import them in. Phone the dealership up ahead of time to order though. If you like, the next time I go in, I'll try to remember to ask them what one of these puppies cost.

Drew

P.S. A while back you asked me about Edmunds.com. You'll find probably all that you want to know here.
  • Options
    Like all vehicles, don't rev the engine while it is cold. Take things easy for the first couple of minutes at least. After starting, I usually let it warm up for 5 seconds before shifting into gear. If it is colder than normal in the garage, maybe 10 seconds warmup.