Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• parfive1parfive1 Member Posts: 75
    Are those compartments removable, or is it one molded piece ?
  • atomic80atomic80 Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone noticed how soft the paint is on the ML. It seems to chip really easily and one has to be especially careful when washing the ML as not to cause more chips to appear. Any tips or suggestions as to how to prevent any further chips from appearing so easily?

Thanks

Jason
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    The compartments are removable, independently. Convenient for caring for the groceries on spirited drives.

Robert
    Jason,

Is the gas tank cover on the AMG ML55 the same as all the other ML's. Coming back from church today I parked next to a ML55 and it had a chrome gas tank cover. It looks like the same one on the Mitsubishi Eclipse

It is a circle with chrome cover, and chrome screws or rivets on the outer cover edge. The guy said that that is how the ML55 came, but it doesnt seem like it does. Its not typical of MB to put something as flashy as that. Not even our CLK55 has a tank like that. Looked kind of out of place.

Robert
  • dagilldagill Member Posts: 13
    Drew is it poss to get the twin proj lights in the US.
    The chrome tip on your ML looks good. What size does one need and where did you get yours from. Tried K-mart they do not seem to carry any.
    thanks
    Dave gill
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I really doubt the ML55 came with that cover. My bet is that guy put it on himself and lied to you =)

dt77
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The ML55 comes with a normal fuel filler lid, just like all other MLs. To my knowledge, MB has never added anything like what you saw to any of their vehicles. Screams boy racer :-)...The Audi TT and the Mitsubishi Eclipse both have these billet aluminum fuel filler caps from the factory.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    poolio:
    It's been tried. Someone on the M-Class list long ago tried to get one into his 1998 ML; he had to put one of the spare keys in the ML. I think someone on this forum long ago was successful as well. The problem is that most of today's cars come w/ a "smart" key. The key transmits a code to the ML before the ML will start. Makes it hard to steal, but almost impossible to add a remote start to.

atomic80:
    What are you using to wash you ML? Sand? ;-)
    I haven't had the paint chip from washing yet, but I haven't been able to give it a full hand wash since my week of Zaino. The weather here has been totally crappy and it's coated w/ salt and dirt and it's too cold to wash it off (8 degrees F this morning)-:
    Rexconde:

My ML55 doesn't have a chrome cover like that....I think that guy was pulling your leg too. I wouldn't want something like that to begin with too...too gaudy for my taste.

Ken:

Others have said how soft the clearcoat was on the ML so I was concerned about that. And it isn't that cold over here...I still don't know why you guys are getting all the cool stuff! No snow here yet to play with! :( It's all of 45 degrees right now!

Jason
    I was thinking that he may have bought it used, he was an older guy about 50-60, and I doubt that he would have put it on himself.

Yes I thought that this is more of a japanese type add-on. I knew he probably lied to me but I never looked at the gas cap specifically on other ML55s.

robert
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    What is everyone's opinion of the NAV system for the ML. The hardbound owners guide that came with my 2001 makes it seem neat, but I would like to get the opinions of others that have used it. Does the novelty wear off? Where is the best place to get it, Clair parts and then have the dealer install it?
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I have even seen really shady stick on covers too ! they are just chrome stickers ... man, can you imagin ? shady ...

dt77
    Where are the paint chips you are seeing? People have said the front chips easily. I think a big part of it is the steep angle of the hood. MB also has switched to water based paints before other companies have and these paints suck.
    Kenyee:

I have the stongard and bug delfector on the front so I haven't gotten any chips up there but I have gotten quite a few chips (4 at last count) on the rear hatch area. I"m thinking that the rocks that get kicked up by the tires may have had something to do with those chips. What do you think? You may want to check your hatch for signs of any chips. Maybe I should get a mud flap but I've heard from others that it won't fit the ML55.

Jason
    Jason:
    That's a weird place to get chips. I have the mud flaps, but the vacuum created by the ML's mass has been sucking up salt/dirt and dropping it on the back hatch (including under the hatch handle!!!)-: I did notice what looked like a paint chip on the roof when I waxed it.
    I'll have to check when I wash it next week. Have to do it soon. Some weenie decided that it would be fun to do graffiti on the dirt on my windows and tried doing it on my painted areas (and no doubt grinding the dirt into the paint), too :-P
    The mud flap won't fit the ML55 w/o serious cutting. You might want to see if you can trim a generic mud flap to fit, but it won't look as good as the MB ones. MB is supposedly redesigning a bull bar and side steps for the ML55 and ML Sport by this summer, so let's hope they redesign flaps as well (and in rubber instead of the horribly hard plastic it is now).
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    it is really trick, very useful, especially for my wife who has a genetic impairment (just kidding) when it comes to directions, for her its a godsent. That is one of the reasons I got the 430 v the 320. It is std. on the 430 and at least a $2K option on the 320.
  • scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    Atomic 80/ Jason

My theory is that the metallic clear coated paints seem to hold up much better than the solid colors. I had a black one and the paint seem to kinda flake when hit with a rock or something. I now have silver and it is holding up much better. Still get some chips in weird places.

BTW, when I see large trucks or anything that has debris that may kick out, I stay way clear, sometimes getting off the freeway to avoid the trucks load with junk.
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Many Auto Shows going on now and more to come in Jan/Feb... it will be interesting to see if there is any new info. leaked on the 2002 ML changes....
  • pepperheadpepperhead Member Posts: 4
    That is exactly the item. Thanks so much for the help. I will order from Clair and save a few bucks and get it timelier, I'm sure.

Thanks again,
    Pete
    After days of aggravation, the Parkpilot system installation is finally complete. It took a little longer since my father and I decided to wire in manual kill switches so that the system could be easily deactivated in the event of a problem, or when towing (even though the system can be specially programmed when towing).

In the process of dismantling many trim pieces, we discovered the extent of the improvement in sound dampening/insulation (not to mention the huge improvement in the quality of the plastics) everywhere for MY2K MLs. Nearly every cavity that we opened was filled with a combination of sound dampening foam, thick carpetting and rubber seals. Even the rubber mouldings around the tailgate hatch were filled with (tough to cut) metal loops and fibres.The only bad thing about this was that it was considerably more difficult to push the Parkpilot wiring around.

The P.P display/beeper unit was installed in the 3rd row seatbelt cutout area primarily because it was in the same line of sight as the stick-on convex mirror, as well as the fact that it was one of the easiest spots to wire in. I could've cut into the plastic trim for a more integrated look, but this would've required removing a large plastic piece (holding the headliner) and I didn't want to mess with that. Not only this, but I was scared off by the difficult drilling in the bumper + I didn't have the right size (30mm) bit :-)

I'll be uploading a lot more pictures in a seperate album soon, but for now, here are a few more:

Enjoy!
    I believe that Clair parts sells the GPS system for about $1500...installation apparently takes only 1/2 hour.
    I see that Robert has already answered your questions. I would simply only add that it's an accessory that I don't know how I was able to do without in the past. Since the cargo area has been covered by the tray since delivery, the carpetting underneath is in practically brand new condition.

Gary, MB also sells them for the E-class sedan/wagon, so you may want to have a look at that too. If it's not on the www.clariparts.com homepage, try contacting them by e-mail or phone. Since they are a MB dealer, they can get can any MB parts.
    I suppose it would be able to get the ART design projector headlamps for your ML. However, you'll have to have it imported to the US, and that probably would be costly.

WRT the chrome tip, I used a 2 3/4" generic chrome tip from Canadian Tire and rotated the other way around. There's plenty of room for expansion; it's held it by a screw on the top - not obvious unless you bend down and look at the rear bumper level.
    Looking forward to the article if you manage to scan it in. :-)
    Thanks for the compliment and the URL. As you probably read, I added a couple of light scratches myself during the installation ;-) Grr...

Here are a couple of pictures of the weird ART Germany triple beam headlamps. I wonder where the front turn signals are?:

No snow here either :-(

What are you washing your ML with? I hope it's not a cloth or a spomge. I haven't noticed any paint chips on my rear hatch, but I did have a very small chip just below the pop-out quarter window a several months ago. The service tech. touched it up for me and it's just about invisible now.

Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
    No snow here either :-(

What are you washing your ML with? I hope it's not a cloth or a spomge. I haven't noticed any paint chips on my rear hatch, but I did have a very small chip just below the pop-out quarter window a several months ago. The service tech. touched it up for me and it's just about invisible now. It's probably the wide tires of your ML55 that are kicking up a lot more debris.

Drew
    The Parkpilot system is nearly identical to the MB Parktronic system. It gives both audio and visual warnings as to how close you are. The visual starts at 1.5 metres, and the audio starts at 1 metre. Upon shifting into reverse (even if there's no obstacle behind), all of the LEDs light up and a test tone is emitted; I kind of like this little self-test.

With 4 sensors, it coves quite a wide range behind the vehicle and a certain extent to the sides. For example, like the Parktronic system, it detects the door frames of the garage door and gives me a visual warning (no audio) while backing up of the garage. Also like the Parktronic system, accuracy is decreased a little on slopes. It occasionally beeps once while backing down my sloped driveway, not a big deal. FYI, it can detect chain link fences despite there being not much surface area.

Drew
    How helpful the cargo tray is/or may be in such a case where you leave your ML in chicago to go on a vacation to las vegas with two-24can pack of pepsi in the back.

Yes I am worried about coming back to a sticky ML. At least my floor will be clean, when it explodes and melts !!! I cant ask any one to check the ML because no one can get into my garage nor into my ML because I have the place so well locked down, and hid the keys for the ML.

The weather in ORD is below freezing, here in LAS it is about 50-60.

UhhhhhhOHHHHHHHH
    Robert
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    My dealer threw in the MB cargo tray when I bought my ML320. However, there are a couple of things I don't like about it. The far end of the tray that pushes against the rear seat is really high, maybe around 6 inches or so. Therefore, if you need to fold down the rear seat to load a big box, you will need to remove the cargo tray. Also, since it only comes in black, it seems a little out of place with the Java interior. I ended up buying a Weathertech cargo mat, which comes in tan (or black or gray). It's a perfect fit, but it doesn't have cutouts for the floor hooks.
    Jason:
    I forgot to mention the rear spoiler. If your paint chips are caused by the same vacuum that is depositing all sorts of dirt on my hatch, the rear spoiler may help you according to all the positive things I've read about it.
    rich96:
    What did you do w/ your old MB cargo tray? Want to sell it? :-)
    You may want to try installing it backwards first. The high part will face the back and will offer the hatch some protection from cargo.
  • kingscorpiankingscorpian Member Posts: 16
    It depends on what you are looking for. I had the same concern, I could not decide. I wanted all the options that the ML 430 had, but getting a ML 320 was still $3,000 to $5,000 less. Then I took into consideration that the ML 430 came with an 8 cylinder, which was more powerful, and gas economy was not much different. Also the ML 430 had 17” 7 spoke 8 ½ “ rims instead of 16” 5 spoke 8 “ rims. The tires are also much better on the Ml 430. Also the insurance rate is less on the ML430. To me the ML 430 is a better bang for the buck and also better to re sell. If all these things do not matter then get the ML 320.
    kenyee:
    I guess I could have installed it backwards, but the MB cargo tray went back in the box and is now stored in the basement. Do you really want to buy it? Are you in the Boston area?

Rich
    Rich:
    Yep, I'm in the Boston area (in the South End). If it's the all-weather tray w/ the compartments, I'd like to know what you'd like to sell it for?
    Ken,
    Check your email.
    Rich
    What Ken is referring to is the rear dustguard/deflector (Nordleth sells it). The rear spoiler/wing is more for aesthetics. I have the former and it seems to do a very good job keeping the rear window clean and an okay job at keeping dirt away from the lower part of tailgate. I think the mudflaps are the ones that help more here since I've noticed that my rear bumper gets significantly more dirty (when driving in the rain), a lot quicker since removing the mudflaps.

Drew
  • safevansafevan Member Posts: 3
    I have just finished reading posting volumes 17, 19 and 19 and cannot understand why Consumer Reporst gives the MB 320 the LOWEST reliability rating given the nature of the comments I have read here. I am in the market fro a new SUV and really liked the MB 320 but am hesitating to buy.
    If you read back a few more volumes, you'll find out that CR did it's reliability ratings based on the 1998/1999 models. Those did have more problems (especially recurring ones such as the fuel guage, alarm, and machine gun door locks) than the 2000+ models.
    The ML is now average or close to average in reliability.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I have had my ML since April and love it more each day. The ONLY problem I encountered was a door actuator that didn't like the cold weather when it got below 10 degrees (f). The dealer replaced it and no problems since.

I will be very honest, you will have far more problems with a GM or Ford then you ever will with the ML, believe me. I too was concerned after reading the CR article but in talking to current owners I realized they were start up problems. Not once did I hear of any major driveline problems, only cosmetic issues for all the years.

To help you understand a little better I normally get bored and swap every year or two and start looking usually after 4 - 6 months for something else to get and customize. I have had no such thoughts with the ML and really think I'll be keeping it 4-5 years.
  • rameshramesh Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I have stupid question, the Bose stereo system on 2001 ML430, says that it is Six Speakers with a Sub woofer. I know the sub woofer is under the passenger seat.

I only see 4 speakers (1 on each door), so where are the remaining 2 speakers?

My dealer claims that there are 2 speakers on each door with one opening but that would work out to 8 speaker system.

Please help.

2001, ML430 (Red with Java Interior, M6, M7, Bose, Sunroof) with 1800 miles in one month and doing well except for the left mirror shakes on highway. Very little rattle from the rear and seems to be from the panel that covers the opening (foot well) between the back and rear seat (clattering up and down when on going on rough road). Anyway to solve it?

Mileage, just averaging around 15 Highway/city. Plan to drive to Tahoe this weekend and will see what kind of mileage I get on full highway driving.

Thanks guys
    Ramesh,
    I looked in the 2001 brochure, and on page 13 there is an illustration that shows two speakers coming out of each of the front doors. I'm sure that one of them is a tweeter. Also, the subwoofer is under the driver's seat.
    Rich
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Just curious, what mpg have 320 owners experienced and 430 owners expierenced?
  • carbon_00carbon_00 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone else getting a load Squeaking when backing up on teh brake when its cold ( like -10 or worse). Whenever I back up from my garage in the cold mornings I get a really load squeaking from brakes...brutal pre-coffee noise!

As an aside, I am still happy for getting the ML430 over the 320..the torque is great..memories of my 540.

Cheers!
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    For those new to this site, The ML is a great vehicle, 16K purchased it in April.

I've been to the dealership 1x for a I front turn signal bulb, now in the shop for an Oil change (I transferred to synthetic oil and pumpkins after 1K)

MPG average 20 in town/highway I usually average 21@ 73MPH in Central Florida

Mike
    Mike:
    Are you sure you get 20mpg in town? I'm averaging 14-15 :-(
    Do you have any stoplights in town? ;-)
  • rameshramesh Member Posts: 6
    Hi Rich,

Went to the dealer and picked up the 2001 brochure and yes, it does show that there are 2 speakers in each of the front door. Also spoke to the mechanic.

Thanks a lot.

What kind of MPG are you getting?

Does your Navigation system show wrong direction and longer routes too, is some cases?

Thanks again.

..Ramesh
    On my ML320, I'm getting 15 mpg in the city, and around 20 mpg on the highway, with 1600 miles. I don't expect this to improve, as none of the new cars I've owned got better gas mileage after it's broken in. At least I haven't noticed.

As for the navigation system, don't have one.
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    My driving style is one from my Past life of Fire Rescue, slow easy starts with the anticipation of the second light in front of me.

I'm no slow poke but I do not race to the turning Red light and wait there.

I'll take better notice in a just in town situation most of my driving is on secondary roads, few stops and when I need to slow down for a light, I shift down to a stop. In town only I would estimate 17-18 MPG Never using the computer as the source of information shared!

Cruise control is used all the time.
  • stevalsteval Member Posts: 1
    On my way to work this morning, I stepped on the brake peddle of my 2000 ML320 and the amber BAS/ESP light on the instrument cluster came on. It stayed on until I parked my vehicle and turned it off. I started it back up after a few seconds and the light was off. Anyone ever have a problem like this??

On the mileage issue, I have 11,500 on mine and get around 14/15 around town and 19/20 on trips.