Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• budinctbudinct Member Posts: 21
    Jon,

please email me the dealer info regarding your purchase.

Thanks
    candsyoder@hotmail.com
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    HI you all,

I have read some posts with regards to ML pricing. Again for the Southern California market the incentives that are going on right now are as follows:

For the ML 320: they are selling for $500 below invoice yes you heard it right below invoice.

For the ML 500: they are selling them for $200 over invoice.

Do your math. If you are interested email me and I will hool you up with the right people and trust I have no incentives whatsoever in referring people to my contacts besides they take care of me whenever I take my car dor service (free loaner and a car wash).

Cheers
  • groundpilotgroundpilot Member Posts: 1
    I've got a speedo in Km and need a head where the the primary data is in Miles. I figured one of you might have seen one in a bone yard. Any leads? Thanks.
  • wep2wep2 Member Posts: 6
    Jon90:
    R U serious about the price in the DC area.
    Up here in NJ you can get maybe 1500-2000 off sticker.
    Did u pay cash or finance from dealer?
    Please email me w/info.
    Thanks,
    wpullen@hotmail.com
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Roland, email me and I'll tell you a site where to go.
  • mymlmyml Member Posts: 12
    johnny2000,

You've got mail !

Thanks
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I sent you email about the dealer and the deal. I forgot to mention, i never once even talked about financing. You shouldnt up front. The vehicle is being made first week of January, i will worry about it more soon. I did go to peoplefirst.com and got preapproved for anything i wanted at 6.0% over 60 months...I havent figured out whether to lease or buy yet, honestly.

Good luck shopping!
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    Regarding the FM reception i have had the same problem since day one! I rarely drive it (wife's car)but it happens some of the time. My wife doesn't notice it. On the last service i had it checked out and they checked a splitter in the rear area and said it was tight and couldn't reproduce the problem. Make sure all of your preset stations are set to strong stations because one of mine wasn't and they wrote on report that this was probobly the problem. At least you got a new radio that will be my next action. G
  • horacegreeleyhoracegreeley Member Posts: 2
    Please e-mail me the details of your DC dealer. I'll be in the market for a new ML in Jan. and don't mind making the trip down to D.C. for pickup. Also, do you know if the dealer arranges factory delivery? Thanks,

Craig T.
    cthaler@excite.com
  • zip123zip123 Member Posts: 1
    Jon90,

Please e-mail me infos of that DC dealer. I am shopping for a new ML and don't mind driving that far.

AC
    alconcept@yahoo.com
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    ahhhh... the curse of black paint. On our ML430 we have black too. The swirls are nature of the paint and the US EPA. The Swirls are a factor of US water based paint as well as black is just so darn hard to keep swirl free.

The Water based paint is much softer than the European paint
  • kjookjoo Member Posts: 27
    Ure a chappaqua resident arent u.
  • troutbum1troutbum1 Member Posts: 6
    Just signed papers to purchase forest green 2002 ML320. Will turn in my leased 99 320 with 79000 miles as soon as it gets detailed. Looked real hard at Acura MDX, but kept comimg back to ML320 based upon overall satisfaction with car. Also, I can't say enough about the dealer service on my old car. Great customer service attitude. If you are anywhere in the Northwestern Ohio area and are considering a quality SUV look up Jason Perry at Coppus Motors in Tiffin, Ohio.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Troutbum, did you go WAY over on mileage on your leased '99 ML320? If so, how much is the penalty?
    Just curious, are you going to lease your 2002?

I've ordered a 2002 ML500 that should be in mid December... Can't wait!
    M.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • hdarkhdark Member Posts: 2
    Greetings y'all,

Can anyone comment on whether or not credit cards are accepted as a form of payment for a new vehicle purchase at MB. I would like to take advantage of the cash back saving provided by an American Express CC thereby penning my loan check for Amex as opposed to the MB dealership. Thanks in advance!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    hdark,

I would like to take advantage of the cash back saving provided by an American Express CC

I don't know the answer to your question but the dealer may balk at accepting payment from American Express. AMEX charges a substantially higher fee to the business than other credit cards. The "cash back" isn't free from the dealer's perspective.

If anyone knows or if you find out do tell us about it!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    I think it depends on the dealer. When I bought my car, they would only accept MC/Visa and capped the amount at $6,000. Merchants pay the CC companies 1% - 4% in order to accept CC's for payments. If they were to accept your credit card, you may be better off paying cash/check & ask them to give you the discount that they would pay the CC company.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Paint used in car factories all over Europe (if this is what you meant) has been water-based for a while already, due to much more restrictive environmental guidelines.

Tarik
  • jorgegvbjorgegvb Member Posts: 15
    I mentioned before that I had swirls in my paint when I purchased my ML 320. My ML is Capri Blue, so they were pretty noticeable. The dealership offered to detail my car again and buffed them out. The swirls are in the clear coat only, so they will likely come out. They did a great job getting the swirls out, I was very pleased.

My salesman said they are not suppose to put the dark cars through the machine to wash them, but rather wash them by hand. I think I will tell the dealer in the future not to wash my car at all when it is in for servicing. I would imagine you can only buff the swirls out some many times, before you go through the clear coat. A free car wash may not be worth the hassle of dealing with the problem.
    I have had my ML 320 for nearly 3 weeks and I have accidently set off the alarm at least 6 times already. I believe the panic button on the key is to senitive. It has even went off while I was in the house with the key in my pocket. Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if there is a way the dealer can adjust it.

I believe on my Jeep GC you had to punch the panic button 3 times to set off the alarm. I can only recall setting off the alarm twice in 4 years on my GC.
  • troutbum1troutbum1 Member Posts: 6
    My ML320 has almost 80000k. My lease was for 75K.
    I am not going to lease, but will purchase using a home equity loan. I got quotes on lease and found that by purchasing on HEL, getting the deduction for the interest, and basing my payment to amortize loan down to the residual in the lease quote that I was saving better than $100/ month. Do your own analysis and see how you would do.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    rs64,

you may be better off paying cash/check & ask them to give you the discount that they would pay the CC company

Good point! Especially since AMEX requires full payment at the end of the month anyway! Incidentally, that's another vendor complaint about AMEX - they take their time making payment to the vendors.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • hdarkhdark Member Posts: 2
    Excellent suggestion indeed rs64!

I will let you guys know how i make out on that front...

My next question, does anyone have a clue as to the incentive received by MB dealerships from the factory on floorplan interest? As i understand it, this is paid by factory to the dealer to offset dealer's floorplan interest cost. Gracias!
  • horacegreeleyhoracegreeley Member Posts: 2
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Henry,

I think the term you are looking for is called Dealer Holdback...it is the amount of money the dealer gets paid by the manufacturer for floorplaning and the cost of keeping inventory on the lot.

Specifically, Mercedes holdback is 3% of MSRP so if the dealer sells or pre-sells a vehicle right away and doesn't keep it in inventory they make 3% on that transaction in addition to the profit they made on the deal itself. The only difficulty with this is that the dealer does not get this holdback on a monthly basis so they might not be willing to negotiate it as their profit on a deal for that month. High volume dealers would be more likely to deal this way because they are looking for volume dollars vs. the profit on each transaction.
    FYI - many times it is actually the buffers that cause "swirls" in the paint. Usually after a polish the swirls are not very visible due to the wax and silicon that makes the surface shinny and hides them. Once a vehicle has been washed several times (depending on the detergent used) the swirls will start to show.

Dark colors show this much more readily than light colored cars. I won't allow a buffer on a dark paint surface due to this...you have to keep on top of it or the swirls keep coming back...
  • eric95eric95 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 99 ml320 and plan to I change the fuel filter. What the best way to do it? please advice.
  • eric95eric95 Member Posts: 4
    I am rapidly approaching the 50,000 mile mark on my 99 ml320. Is anyone aware of extended warranties available? I purchased the car last spring as "certified used car" from the local dealer.

thanks
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I am in the same boat as you are. My 99 ML320 is approaching the 50K mark. I will most probably go with Warranty Gold. www.warrantygold.com. I can't recommend them cause I have done only some basic research. The main reason, I am going with them is that we get a discount through the company I work with. I know it is about 1200 - 1500 to extend the warranty to 10 Year/ 100 K from original date of purchase. Remember the rate is a lot lower, if your car is still under factory warranty. So get the extended warranty before your factory warranty runs out.
  • geardaddiesgeardaddies Member Posts: 5
    "The FM radio is always cutting in and out of stereo. It seems to gather in a stronger signal and you get this wonderful sound when stopped at a stop light. (all FM stations) Where is the ariel? The dealer already replaced the radio so it must be a defective ariel. Has anyone experienced this and have it fixed?"

I have this same problem with mine. Any solutions yet? Thanks.
  • geardaddiesgeardaddies Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2002 ML320. I am pretty happy - but maybe it is my excitement to get away from my Jeep LTD, what a piece of crap.

I am having the same FM reception problem and I notice some vibrations at higher (>50mph) speeds. I will take it in to have it looked at soon, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what are the solutions. Thanks - always a helpful board.
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    I have a black ml430 and have given a standing order to the dealer to never wash my car after service due to the swirls. Still they have forgotten on several occasions. I'm not sure what to have them do to remedy it since the only temporary fix I know is a good wax like Meguirs. As Thor mentioned the effect only lasts so long and you have to wax again. I don't think I would let them touch it with a buffer either but I am suprised to hear your blue ML came out improved.
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone with a 99 model ML430 gone through the old defective fuel pump situation? Mine has 40k miles and just last night wouldn't start for about 20 min. After trying for about 5min I let it sit and tried again about 15 min later and it fired up. Does this sound like the well known failing fuel pump? I'm sure since I can't duplicate the problem today the dealership will call and say they can't fix it.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    My friend's 95 M3 never had a stone chip in it no matter where he brought it. After 5 years not a chip. Recently he was sideswiped into another car that caused frontal damage. When they repainted the car, espically the front, the have been a lot of chips. The dealer admitted that there is lead in the European based paint so it wouldnt turn out as strong as the factory paint. It was also suggested that we travel down to California or Mexico and have it"Painted"

The ML paint does seem to be weaker than other MBs that come out to the US maybe its the inefficient curvature that makes the ML suceptable to chips or light scratches.

r
    paint chips, etc. I was thinking of buying a "bra" for my 2002 ML500. I should be taking delivery in about two weeks. I will be taking it on a trip soon after delivery and don't want paint chips. I'm not a fan of the bra, but I'll consider it if it's the best option for my "road trip". Have any of you guys used the bra? Are they easy to put on and remove? Also, how much do they run pricewise?

Thanks, Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Mark,\
    Have you consider a bug deflector? I have the same problem that Robert has I have black opal and boy.. two days after delivery i have two chips already so I installed a bug deflector. Now no more chips and it help to keep the bug out of my winshield.
    Biker5, are you saying you don't have any chips on your bumper and grill area and around the headlights, etc.

My '00 E430 has gotten a few chips too. I think the car chips too easily. (brilliant silver)

Mark
    I did not have a bug deflector on my first SUV and after 4 years, I had about 30 small stone chips around the front hood area and a couple on my windshield.

On my second SUV, I used a bug deflector and they do help. However, you should look at the shape of the deflector and ensure it is slightly extended around the hood corners for extra protection. After 4 years my Jeep GC had only a couple chips. You also get a lot less bug splatters on your windshield, that alone is probably worth the money.

I just got my ML and have not looked into buying one yet, but I will soon. You might want to check with the dealer before buying one. Be sure to get one that is fitted for your vehicle and not a generic one.

Also, some go on with double-sided tape and some are screwed into the hood, so you may have to drill a couple small screw holes. I have had both, they work about the same, so don't let the tape idea scare you away (I guess drilling holes may be more scary for some!)
    The bug deflector that I have is made by EGR no double sided tape or drilling either, its pretty easy to install.

mark, yes I have some chips on my bumper but its not noticable at all, but for the hood nothing accept for the first two that I have when my ML is new. Email me and I will sent you a picture.
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    I agree with Thor8. Good detail places usually apply (cream type) waxes with the buffer and remove by hand. Dark colors are beautifl if taken care of properly, but this means never using automatic car-washes and waxing and polishing by hand, also you should only rub the surface (washing, waxing, etc.) in the direction that the wind travels over the vehicle. Now having said all that and after having 5 black cars I bought silver this time...
    Hey Dave! Is your ML have a Bose system? I forgot.
    anyway, I knew you add a tweeter on your front speakers how is it now, still sound oK? I was told by tech at Circuit City that you can't tap the tweeter on bose system because it has 2amp and pre amp. I also asked Good guys and the other shops and their opinion are all the same. Now I'm confuse.
  • marylandml320marylandml320 Member Posts: 21
    No, I do not have the Bose system. Everything is fine, I have not expierenced any problems since installing the tweeters by tapping into the front door speakers. That may be true since you got the same response from several shops specializing in car audio systems. But I seem to recall a few people with the Bose system performing this upgrade too with no problems. Asked around MBNZ.org, there were quite a few planning to do the upgrade...
    Thanks Dave, I asked you the same question on that site but you have no response. Anyway, did you know that your front speakers is only rated 15watt..and maybe the rear too. What in the world that MB did that.
    Hey Dave, How far are you from Springfield, VA I will be over there this X-mas to visit my folks. Maybe you can show me your toy. How's that sound to you.
    Remember you sent me a dead pedal?

JimB
    I have quite a bit of experience with them... I've owned three of the MB "T" style and now have the Colgan (same company that makes the MB OEM ones) sport bra. The sport bra is basically the same part that comes with the full front bra from MB but it is only the hood portion and does not cover the bumper...I have the M4 package (factory brushguard and side runners) that will not allow for the full bra... hence this is why I ordered the Colgan part.

Anyway, the MB "T" bra protects the most because it has more coverage... I've used this bra in Colorado where the gravel on the roads for winter traction is so bad you replace windshields regularly... the hood is still in excellent condition... BUT the down side is that at high speeds I see an air bubble develop in the front lower section... not that this does any damage but it should not do this...I have tried three different ones and they all have done this... this happens at high hwy speeds.. if you always obey the speed limit you are probably safe... at 70 + MPH is where this occurs.

The Sport upper bra that I use now stays down at high speeds due the the design of the wind defectors built in (raised triangular ribs at the upper edge of the bra). Both bras go on/off quick.. at least for me..I am mechanically gifted so I'm usually not a good person to ask about this : )

My end opinion is that if you go on highway trips these bras are great and I highly recommend them.. they will keep your truck looking new or very close to it... Colgan uses only the best materials and dense felt for the surface touching the paint... others may not be a good... The bras are not meant to be left on all the time and if you get your truck real dirty and it rains the dirt will roll down your hood and wash under the bra......I have still driven after long rain storms and no damage to my paint and I've left it on wet (not supposed to do this!!!!!)...I have also left it on in Colorado because it was too darn cold to mess with and it got covered with salt/caustic... but no damage to paint... YOUR MILEAGE MAY VERY just sharing MY EXPERIENCES...
  • kevin90kevin90 Member Posts: 7
    The FM reception is a problem on the ML's. I have the same problem, and the sound, like your ML get's better when you are stopped. I got my radio replaced, but it did not solve the problem. The service Rep said they will now test the ariel. I hope to get it in next week and report back here as to the outcome.

Re ML paint....it is inferior and chips easily. I owned a Volvo for a lot of years and the paint quality is far superior to that of the ML.
    K
  • macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    I noticed that when I apply the brakes and come to a stop, I can hear a very noticeable sound of water (or liquid) sloshing around. I checked the obvious things like the washer tank and its full. The gas tank is 1/2 full. I've never heard this before. Anyone else have ideas?
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    Just finish your beer, the problem should go away
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    I am thinking about an ML55, but I have some concerns.
    1) ride comfort, is it going to rattle my teeth on the city streets(lots of pot holes) of Chicago?
    2)How is it in the winter, are the tires to big for good traction?
    3) overall quality for the $$$?

Any help from owners is greatly appreciated!
  • rostellrostell Member Posts: 1
    I know this is not the place to be selling stuff, But I don't know where to go, anyway, if any of you who are interested on ML stuff, I will be selling mine for almost half the price. Like ML55 Xenon headlights for $800 or Wood and Leather steering wheel and shift knob for $500 and many more. Any of you who are interested let me know. Thanks.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    My buddy has one, and with the standard tires is all over the place last year, where he used his girlfriends ml320 to get around, also, spare takes up a lot of room in the rear. My other friend with one said "it's not a keeper" problems with quality, and they haven't solved the problem of am and fm reception, the command system is so complex and must take eyes off the road, they use it minimally. Maybe a new ML500. Both are disappointed with the ml55, including premium and 12mpg. I'd look at the ML500 or elsewhere, but the BMW also has problems and is smaller in the back than a ford focus wagon. Lexus not as powerful.