Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    rostell,

You should try Edmunds Used PowerShopper here.

tidester

Host

SUVs

• gild150gild150 Member Posts: 7
    I placed a deposit for a new 2002 ML500 on Nov. 14th, and still haven't received a build date from the dealer. Does this sound right? How long does it usually take to get a build date?
    Thanks in advance.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    That appears to be a place to place ads for used cars, not car accessories.

You will have better luck at:
    www.mbworld.org and www.mbnz.org or www.ebay.com
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    I have to pay a toll every day. That means the window HAS to go up and down twice a day minimum. Ater 12K miles and about 1 year, my driver window switch has suddenly become intermittent. It will always go down, but sometimes it does not want to come back up. Today I head for work early in the snow/sleet/freezing rain and forget about the stupid window switch. It goes down all right, but after chucking out the tokin, it won't go UP! Seems it doesn't like the cold either. My left side was cold and frozen by the time it finally decided to function (~10 miles later). I thought they fixed this problem (at least MB told me it was history). I guess I'll find out how fast they can swap it out this week.
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    My wife left this forum in protest, however I find the format inviting, and never knew the other guy who hosted here. I will add my two cents. Our ML320 looks like a battering ram, and we have only had it 6 months. We previously owned a E class, and I currently own a SLK, and have not had the problems with as many dents, and pings as this ML.

I recently took it to the Premier MB body shop here in Tampa, and was remarking on the "collection" of dents and pings. The Owner there told me he has a steady stream of ML's coming into the shop merely to have these removed.

He said the side metal is definitely not "mercedes quality" and feels as though the interiors are also made out of pretty "chintzy" material. I was given a quote of $1011 just to remove a ping from the left passenger door, a scratch from the tailgate, and a small dent on the right front passenger door.

We do not have small kids, and my wife rarely shops in malls or parks in congested areas. The Body shop owner stated each one of the dents are from pressure against the metal (like if someone leaned heavily) and are not from hwy debris, or door pings from parking too closely. The scrape on the tailgate happened when the wife closed the garage door and wasn't entirely in the garage.

Bob
    What exactly are the yearly tele aid costs, even if you never lift the receiver. When I purchased the ML320 for the wife I was not told they charge yearly - even without usage. The SLK is a company lease, and those charges are directly billed to the firm.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • mkwamemkwame Member Posts: 21
    MY2000 ML is coming up for B service with the MB dealer on 12/17. This will be my very first trip to MB service bay. I bought the ML used with 14.8k miles. What should I expect in terms of the services to be performed? Do I have to pay for anything?
    Thank you in advance for your inputs.
  • eversonseversons Member Posts: 38
    We have had our ML55 for almost 2 years now. It has been in the shop for only the oil change. We haven't had any issues that other owners of ML's have reported. In fact it has been quite reliable.

The ride IS firm but not harsh. The tires are low profile, so it is possible to ding the AMG wheels if you aren't careful. I only took it out once in deep snow, it didn't get stuck. If I were to use it regularly in challenging snow, I would get extra wheels and mount snow tires on them, and swap every 6 months.

The car is quite enjoyable to drive around.

As far as value for the $$$??? How fast can you afford to go?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    On my 2000 E430 sport, first year costs were free. To renew, the "basic package" is $205.00. I did not renew. Of the 5 or six people I know who have the Tele Aid, only one has renewed. When I get my new '02 ML500 (hopefully next week) I will take the one year free and not renew after that time period. If I was an older person and traveled a lot in the car, I might consider it. But, I have a cell phone that works just fine.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    I was told today that the bra/mask is not being made for the 2002 ML. The service guy said the demand was not great enough.

M.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Welcome aboard, Bob - we're glad to have you here and we'd love to see your wife come back!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    The cost for tele aid after the first year is $252. Watch out, because they will charge your credit card automatically after the first free year is up. They have the credit card number on file from when you first set up tele aid. I had to call MB to cancel the tele aid and credit the cost back to my credit card.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    For 2000 and on there is no cost for routine service for the ML, including B service for US customers. My wife's 2000 Ml430 just went in form B service and faulty SRS light (which is faulty again) and there was no charge for the service. I'm now waiting for a new seatbelt assembly to replace the faulty one (which we can't find). The dealer seems to think it's probably the one where the car seat is hooked up, but you should expect to pay nothing for the service and pick up a nice clean car. Make sure you ask them to Hand Wash so that the delicate ML paint is not run through a car wash!
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Bob,

A couple of things... the comments made by the body shop were superflous...The metal is as thick as needed for accident crumple zones and the vehicle has heavier metal than lets say most Japanese vehicles... the real issue is the door angle as opposed to other doors which your vehicle gets parked next to... any sloppy door opener hitting your ML will cause a "ding" or "dent" if there is a sufficient impact... it does not take much for a door to have quite a bit of impact mass... if you ever opened a door normally against another surface and placed a finger in this same impact zone you would either break or damage your finger...metal dings/dents with the same impact.

The real issue is the ML door does not have a large impact strip to absorb the hit... in addition the existing impact strip is painted the same color as your vehicle so it can chip as well.

*IF* the paint is not actually chipped in the areas of the dings or dents you can have these removed WITHOUT paintwork....there are several paintless dent repair businesses in most metropolitan areas. These companies specialize in removing door dings and there is no issue with trying to match paint Plus it takes a very short time to do the work.. couple of hours...

The scratch you have would need to be painted obviously and it would probably run $500 to repaint the rear hatch the correct way (removing the emblems and such).

We own a 1999 and have yet to get one ding and always park the car carefully but not necessarily in the furthest parking spot... usually look for nicer vehicles in nice shape and you have a better chance people will respect your vehicle ...I find the "Mom"(either male or female) mobiles are the worst to park next to for several reasons... they usually have young kids that require the doors being left open for a bit perhaps resting on the car parked next to them... the kids themselves when old enough don't always respect or understand the "don't hit the car next door" topic and basically throw the door open to hit whatever is in its path.

There are many "Generalizations" made that are just not accurate... the 1998/1999 had many more issues with the interior for example but the interior was upgraded in 2000 and is equal to or better than most of the competition... it all depends on what you are looking for.

Getting back to the door ding issue... the fact that soo... many people are actually touching your vehicle with their doors is not a good sign... we all get dings now and then but usually this is from the rare idiot that cares less and has no thought of what they are doing... these are the people that just "exist" in this world and have not a clue of anything that is around them. The rest of the damage happens by mistake, also rare. OR you live in an area where the parking spaces are soo narrow that the average person can't exit their vehicle without touching the other persons car.
  • cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    Just had the "A" service done today. While it was there i had the trip computer replaced (acted erratic) and the driver's side passenger door worked on. It closed hard and had to be re-aligned. It still seems to close harder than the others but it is much better. I know these doors close like a hatch on the Queen Mary (real solid) but they all take more effort than most people are used to, as evidenced by the times that most passengers have to take 2 shots to close them. This vehicle is still a great ride and have no real complaints so far.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Don't forget that MB is using a higher tensile strength steel in their design to absorb impact, so regardless of thickness you will be protected by the crumple zones and I have yet to in any pictures of wrecked ML's where this protection has not been a true benefit. All this despite any dings. Thor's analysis previous to this more than addresses the ding issue.

Swirls: I have been using here in western NY (Rochester and Buffalo) the Delta Sonic car wash since 1980 with many costly vehicles and have never had trouble. This machinery may be proprietary to this company but it does not touch the vehicle, create swirls, remove wax and it cleans the entire vehicle including undercarriage, brake dust, tires and all surfaces get a protectant. I say this having many times in winter months with a solid cake of salt and sand driven the ML through the wash with astounding results.

I am somewhat religious about Meguiares car care products and finish treatments. Carnauba waxing 3 times a year by hand for 3 vehicles for me anyway is enjoyable. But the dark finish swirls you find are oftentimes not in the "paint" but in the wax or other protectant coating. The product to use prior to re-waxing is Meguiares Show Car Glaze N0. 7. It is totally non abrasive but will provide a terrific soothe base upon which the application of one of their top coats will give the best protection and as swirl free as possible.
    I personally prefer their #3 Carnauba as it will not leave any white stain on black plastic or rubber.

Under some lighting conditions you can spot imperfections in any color finish. But, you can minimize them.
    Hope this helps.
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    You would have think MB would have figured out
    that for a $36+K vehicle an in-dash CD player
    should be standard.
    Has anyone here purchased and installed the single CD player for this truck? How difficult was the installation?

Bob
  • rwharcharwharcha Member Posts: 19
    I am working with dealer to get a quote on 2002 ML 500 and I will have to better understand what IRG participation really is, and if it will be negotiable . They want $ 600. Can anyone here clarify ? TIA. Russ
  • bj9904bj9904 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a used 2000 ML430 and am concerned about the vague ride and handling. I had road tested a couple of 320s and briefly test drove the 430 before buying (test drive was during rush hour, probably a mistake). The 430 seems to float and have a lot of motion from uneven road surfaces vs. my recollection of the 320. The truck does have 43K miles on it, but I am disappointed in the way it handles. Am I imagining this, have others noticed this, or is it a possibility the shocks are hurting?

Bill
    William, does it have new tires on it? I would imagine it would be due for a set if it has 43,000 miles. It is amazing how the ride will change.

M.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Few months back I was complaining about that on my 2000 ML320, finally after a couple of complaint to the dealer I have the shop foreman rode with me to show him how the ride feel. First he didn't feel anything then when his turn to drive he felt it and agreed to change all 4 shocks and 2 springs at the back. Now my baby ride like brand new ML. I am glad I have a good dealer that can understand our frustration. Try to discuss that to your dealer. BTW, The replacement are free N/C. under warranty. I have 23,000K miles on my ML.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Is it the advertisement fee? I encountered this when buying my ML. If that dealer participates, say, TV, radio, or newspaper ad, they would charge ya for that. The solution is simply find a dealer that does not participage or charge you for the ad thing.

I talked to all the dealers in Dallas and Houston area. There was only one dealer charging the ad fee. Of course, I didn't buy my ML from them.
  • perkins5perkins5 Member Posts: 2
    I just had the dealer install a trailer hitch for my 2000 ML320 and was somewhat dissapointed with the appearance. I assumed if would have a nice neat fit and almost appear flush with the bumper as if it were an integral part or custom fit. ON the contrary, the sleeve protrudes several inches away from the bumper itself. In addition, the plastic cover on the bumper (the panel which can be removed for the hitch installation) was actually cut out (and not removed completely) to make room for the sleeve. I wonder if I did not get an actually ML hitch and maybe an aftermarket one. For $650, I am dissapointed what it looks like.

Can anyone add some insight into my concern

Thanks!!
    Bob,Thats true its ugly if they just cut the plastic cover square and slapped it back in the bumper. I did installed mine myself and I took time to cut the plastic cover to my satisfaction and I'm happy withthe result. You can check the pic. at www.MBNZ.org under Roof racks topic posted by JimB.
    Check out Edmund's new review of the '02 M-Class!

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/48116/article.html

tidester

Host

SUVs

• acraftonacrafton Member Posts: 99
    Hi - been gone for a while as we sold our 2000 ML 320 a few months back prior to moving. Alwasy loved the truck and thought it was great and was always confused by the complaints that it was a 'cheap mercedes', etc. Note that this was our first Mercedes after many Toyotas.

Well I purchased an E320 this week and now I understand many of the complaints from folks that owned an E or S and bought an M assuming that they would get the same level of comfort/refinement for $20K less. The E is tighter, quieter, more upscale, etc. . .but it SHOULD be for the extra $.

Don't get me wrong - I would buy an ML in a heartbeat if I again needed an SUV. But, I understand previous MB owners disappointment if they were expecting an E/S in ML clothes/price.

Adam
  • vpotlurivpotluri Member Posts: 47
    Thanks to a dried tree branch which my ML430 rubbed against, trying to get out of the way of an ambulance, there is a fine scratch almost the length of the vehicle above the doors. How do I fix this?

Also, I saw today what appeared to be a rust spot on the front, the size of a pin head. Is this covered under the warranty?

Thanks.
    Has anyone else here had a problem with keyless remotes on MB vehicles? Both my wife's ML and my SLK are plague with a sluggish remote, although the ML's is much worse. We have changed batteries, so that's not the problem. The remote on a E Class loaner I recently had was so severly diminished - it would only work if you were standing directly next to the vehicle.

My Sister and son have the same problem with their C Class remotes. In past vehicles I've owned you could open, and lock the vehicles from a great distance. My wife posted this message on several MB sites, and we were surprised to find how many people had also learned a battery change wouldn't help. Any suggestions?

Bob
    Neicey, my E430 seems to work ok. How far you are talking about? Mine seems to work 20-30 feet away. (two year old battery's) I have to say that my '99 Jeep seemed to work farther away but the E seems adequate.

M.
  • pham2001pham2001 Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone,

I'm Tom Pham from San Jose, Ca. Last Saturday, I
    finally purchased a 2002 ML320 in desert silver/java
    with M1, M5, Bose w/6 CD and heated seat and will add
    a polish step bar, polish grill guard and rear spoiler
    next week. I was thinking to buy an Accura Mdx but
    decide to buy the ML instead.

My last suv was a 1988 Isuzu Rodeo.
    But now it is a 2002 ML320. It's a beautiful one.

I already drove for more than 200 miles so I don't know how
    its handleing in a long trip yet. But I noticed that I can hear wind noises come either from front side window or somewhere on the front when the speed was over 45miles or more. I was sure that all window closed tight too.

My other 1993 Nissan Maxima has no wind noises until it gets over 65 miles or more.
    Did anyone notice any wind noises from your suv?.
  • bj9904bj9904 Member Posts: 2
    Mark156 and biker5, thanks for the feedback.

Tires are going to need replacement in 5K miles or so, but that shouldn't completely fix my problem - the shocks and/or springs are my suspect areas. (Vague handling in corners could be fixed with better/newer tires, but the bouncing/rocking I get going over the smallest bumps seems to me to point to something different).I will try with the dealer service group next week to see what they are willing to do under warranty - not sure I will be as sucessful as biker5 - did not buy from the dealership.

Any new recommendations out there on replacement tires. Seems like Mercedes is going to car type tires on new models vs. truck/SUV tires in the past. I would like criper handling, so the Dunlop SP5000s are interesting, but not sure how smooth or quiet they will be vs. a Michelin Xterrain or the Continentals I heard they are puttin on 2002s. Not a lot to select from in the 275/55/17 size. Have heard the Pirelli's are noisy.
  • lalinelaline Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about purchasing a used (1998) ML320. I checked Consumer Reports and they did not give it a good rating. In fact, they have it on their "worst used car list". I wasn't sure if they were stating that is was a bad car in general or if compared to other cars in it's class. I am also concerned about purchasing a used ML320 as opposed to buying - say a NEW Toyota Rav4 - that would have a warrenty. Does anyone know what exactly Consumer Reports problems with the car are? Any thoughts? Any advice?
  • maabmaab Member Posts: 41
    Try "under the chin" trick for distance.
  • gloriadgloriad Member Posts: 18
    I will be purchasing a 2002 ML320 with M1 & M5. Has anyone purchased one recently in the SoCal area and received a really good deal. Also I'll be adding a different aftermarket radio & CD-any suggestions on a good quality one? Is it worth getting Xenon lights? Thanks for the help.
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Been a long time since I've checked this board. I only recognize you, Biker5!

I am thinking about tire chains for my '00ML320. Any suggestions? I live here in SoCal, but am planning some trips to Big Bear, Idlewilde, etc. Don't think I'll need them, but CHP requires them occasionally.

Where to buy, how much, etc....
    Hi Ron, yeah, I check this site every now and then
    I'm pretty sure you don't need a snow chain on our ML,because we have permanent 4WD but I know what you mean CHP requirement.Buy some el cheapo one and keep it in your trunk just incase. If you really want to use it you should use 4 chain not only 2 because remember you have an ESP... light will be keep flickering.
    You can check 4Wheel Parts in Chula vista or El Cajon or OFF Road Warehouse at Kearny Mesa. You want to see some white stuff huh.
    have anice day...and Happy Holidays to you.
    Jim
  • edward24edward24 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. and I am tired of supporting my dealership. Giving serious thought to a ML500. I have been offered a $1500 Discount. I live in Atlanta. Can I do better?
  • steventostevento Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I plan to buy a ML 320 with M1, M2 and M5 options. I live in San Jose. If you have
    bought ML 230 recently, please let me know
    the price you have paid.

Thanks,
    Steven
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    Laline, I would shy away from the deal unless you have a really great extended warranty. That was the first year for the model and has had tons of problems. Try to get at least a year 2000, even if you need to wait a while longer.

Good luck.
    Steven,

I recently bought my 2002 ML320 with some options
    for $45,600 after tax & license. See mssg #5633 for detail of all options.
  • johnnyboygjohnnyboyg Member Posts: 1
    having a very difficult time getting proper roof racks for my 01 ml. Wind noise is major problem. Tried Thule 754 but couldn't tolerate the howl above 45 mph. Returned them for Yakima Low Rider. Same problem @60mph. have tried moving the front rack back and forth. No luck. Can anyone suggest a better location on the vehicle? Only other choice seems to be the Mercedes rack-but I have heard nothing but bad things about the quality and lack of versitility.
    I just bought a 2002 ML320 last week and already put over 300 miles on it. I noticed some wind noise cleary howling when the speed is over 45miles. Is it a problem or normal for this SUV?.

Can anyone share your experience if your SUV have a same type of wind noise when speed is over 45 miles?. Thanks in advance for your input.
  • howvoodhowvood Member Posts: 19
    In response to "neicey59", I have installed the single cd units. I would have the dealer get you the tools to remove the MCS unit. They are only a few dollars and without them, you would not be able to remove the MCS easily. The tools go into the two slots on the bottom of the unit and pull in the radio retainer spring-loaded slides. The cd player goes in very easily. The first one I did took 20 minutes, the next one about 10.
    My wife's ML has this wind noise, and according to the MB sites so does most of them. You can have the dealership check your door and sunroof seals. If you are driving with the sunroof open the dealership has advised my wife to crack her rear windows a tad to decrease some of the noise. A wind deflector should also help.

Bob
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Regarding wind noise... there will be some air/wind noise in any SUV or Car for that matter but in general SUV's have more due to their size... if you are actually hearing an air leak type noise then there may be an issue with door alignment and fit to the door seals or window channel seals could be causing it.

I would also post the same question on the other helpful ML forum at:

http://www.mbnz.org

Between these two forums you should maximize your information gathering potential.

Laline - 1998 ML320 - The 1998's did not even have ESP, BAS, and other major safety items... from 1999 on they have so if you can go for 1999 or newer... ESP and BAS can't be added... ESP is what tries to compensate for the vehicle loosing directional stability... very important safety feature in an SUV!!!!! BAS is Brake Assist that actually senses when you are starting a panic stop and applies full brake pressure much faster than your foot could.. hopefully preventing an accident..

DON'T PURCHASE THE 1998...GET A 1999 OR NEWER

Thanks for all those whose responsed.

I'd feel much better now. It might be just my imaginary since I expected air/wind noise are muted in the Benz.
  • mymlmyml Member Posts: 12
    howvood,

do you need wiring harness for the single cd-unit ? does the ml320 comes pre-wired for the single-indash cd player ?

thanks.
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I got about 3500 off of sticker, which (yes) is below dealer cost. DO NOT get talked in to taking 1500 off...There are plenty dealers out there dealing!

the MCS comes prewired for a single player which can be installed in about 20 minutes very easily. It is plug and play
    Jon, What happen if you have a cassette already in your MCS, Do I have to get rid of my cassette player to have room for a single CD? One more. I have Bose system with 6 CD changer at the back are they will be working at the same manner.

Thanks.
    Jim