Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    I have ten days to make a decision on an extended warranty for my 01 ML320. I have received the info from my dealer about the different options available. My question is, can the cost of this extended warranty be negotiated? I noticed at the top of the pricing column it says "suggested retail price" Has anyone had any luck negotiating a lower price and by how much? I live in Northern NJ if that would make a difference. I am only interested in a factory MB warranty. TIA G
    PS. After 1yr and 12K mi ther have only been a few minor problems but nothing serious. It still drives great and is as tight as day one!
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    I recently purchase the MB 4yr/100K for $1525. This I found is probably the best price around. If interested in more info, let me know and I'll e-mail you.

BTW, I also live in Northern NJ. I bought my ML320 from MB of Morristown. ;-)
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Delsherif:

Rochester, NY; Holtz MB.
  • zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    I'm looking at a used ML 320 loaded (3rd row seat, leather, CD changer, Bose, etc.) with 30,000 miles for $30K (private party). According to Edmunds, it's overpriced, but it's spot on based on kbb.com. I still have a few questions for the veterans (and other ML users) of this board:
    - does the price sound right?
    - is 99 a good year? I know that the ML had a lot of problems in its first years, and I was wondering if there is anything I need to look for, or should I even stay away from it?

Thanks for the answers.
  • carstuff3carstuff3 Member Posts: 11
    I purchased an early 1998 M-Class new in December of 1997. It had a number of quality issues in the first few years, but since about the 45,000 mile mark I have had zero problems. My 1996 E-Class had more problems with fewer miles than my M-Class. This is a rugged vehicle that will last a while. We just got returned from a weekend in the desert logging 400+ miles. Current mileage is 77,500. I would not purchase an extended warranty seems like a waste of money given my experience. Good luck with the 99 ML320. Pricing seems reasonable.
  • c_j_gordonc_j_gordon Member Posts: 19
    Where, other than the dealer, can I but new wiper blades for my 99 ML320? Either aftermarket or OEM... Thanks for any advice.

cj
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    Can you believe how much the dealer wants for them? I think it was $30 a piece. They replace them for free on a 'B' service, but not an 'A'.

I went to the local auto parts store and bought generic replacement arms. They work fine. Didn't bother with the back one.

They are Anco's. I don't think they are lasting as long as the MB ones did, but at less than half the price, who cares.
  • tomhocktomhock Member Posts: 6
    I found Anco has replacement blade inserts for the M-Class that are a perfect fit in the standard Bosch blades. They are Anco N-22R, and are only a few dollars for a set of two. I find them every bit as good as the original equipment.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    March 17 Pine Barrens Monthly Trail Ride

Info on a gently off-road experience in the Pine Barrens of Central/Southern NJ. Come on out for a day of adventure, fun, and comradre with fellow SUV/Off-road/Rally/Car Nuts! Info at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• cavman2xcavman2x Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for your response re: extended warranty. Please e-mail me with any info. It is greatly appreciated. G
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I have recommended many times the person/dealer from whom I have purchsed my warranties from.
    Lisa Marie Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors in Chico CA. Her tel# is 800-655-3535. She is a gem to deal with, no hassles, just the right answers and great pricing. I would recommend the 4yr/50K Mercedes Premium Extended warranty. It is transferable, which is a big plus when it comes time to sell your vehicle and it can be refunded on a pro-rata basis if unused prior to it elapsing. Just mention that you obtained her name on the net. Good luck.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I must be missing something. You said 4 year 50K miles. Is this in addition to the original 4 year 50K mile warranty? I don't think so. When I bought my new E430 I bought an extended warranty which was a total of 7 years 100K. What is it that I'm missing?
    Wally
  • ianhianh Member Posts: 8
    extended warranty comes in 3 terms(that i know of), 2yrs/100k, 3 yrs/100k, and 4 yrs/100k. it seems you got a 3 yrs/100k, which gives you 7yrs/100k. also, you may not get 7 years, it depends on when your original warranty expires.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    $30K for a '99 ML320 is probably overpriced. There are tons of MAJOR imporvements on 2000 MLs. Just to give you an idea... I negotiated a new '00 ML (w/ M1, bose, sunroof) for my parents back in Oct '00 for $36K.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    Over the past few months I have been researching on buying an ML 320. I would like purchase a used ML 320 with low mileage (99'-01'). I'm 6' 6" and I feel the ML fits me comfortably. I'm also looking at an MDX, but for some reason, I'm still drawn to the ML. I recently stopped by a Mercedes repair shop which is apparent listed high in the DC metropolitan area in Checkbook magazine an spoke with a mechanic. This mechanic proceeded to tell me that the ML series is one of the worst quality vehicles Mercedes has ever brough out. He also told me that the average repair cost for the vehicle (w/o any warranty) is at least $1000. He then told me that if I wanted to buy an ML series for around $30K make sure you have at least $10k in the bank for repairs. He recommended that if I wanted to purchase an SUV, that I should look at the Japanese SUVs. I was surprised that he said this to me because he was a Mercedes mechanic.

So my question is for those of you who have purchased a used ML series (99-01), Are you finding that the repairs cost are extremely high for this truck or are they reasonable compared to let's say a MDX or 4runner.
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Bertram,

I recently tried to get Dunlop SP5000's from Discount Tire. I had them ordered and installed. They appeared to be ok at first until I discovered they put on two tires of the wrong size 255/70/17 at opposite corners of the car. In addition these tires were not the assymetrical pattern I was told they ordered but instead the symmetrical ones. Can you tell me if you got the symmetrical pattern?
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I bought mine from The Tirerack - I believe that they're all 275-55-17's and that they are assymetrical (no inside/outside or rotation markings on them). The tire racks website is down so i can't check and my wife has the car so i can't go look. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the quick response. I think I may end up back with the Grandtreks if Discount can't get this straight. They are only $100 vs the $167 Discount is charging to get in the SP5000's. I'm not sure I'm going to appreciate the difference for that price.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    If the used vehicle is still covered under the original warranty, repair costs shouldn't be a problem during that time. And 1999+ ML's have free scheduled maintenance (as dictated by the computer) for the initial warranty period.

Beyond the warranty period, you might want to look into a third-party extended warranty. Unfortunately I don't believe that you can buy an MB extended warranty after the first year, but I may be wrong here. The third-party extended warranties on the ML's aren't cheap, probably reflecting the generally higher costs of MB technician labor and higher cost of parts.

Each year of the M-class brings higher quality so the more recent vintage you can buy, the more reliable (statistically) it should be.

Please note that you can buy a 2002 ML320 at about $500 above invoice in most parts of the country (though the spread between invoice and MSRP is not as severe as it is with the MDX you're looking at, or an RX300). Plus late in the 2002 model year MB will likely introduce incentives, which in past years have added anywhere between $1,500 to $2,500 in discounts, at least from what I remember. That might make a new ML320 more financially palatable.
  • grohsgrohs Member Posts: 8
    I'm 6'5", tried the MDX, didn't like the salewoman's attitude and I felt like I was sitting at the wheel of a school minibus.
    Toyota Secoya,(spelling?) was way too big for my liking.

I have a 2000 with 36,000Kms, (23,000 miles aprox)no real major problems:
    -center arm rest replaced, leather had puckered, their idea, not mine
    -replaced muffler, cracked weld, mufflers are suppose to last quiet a few years
    -cd changer sticking, replaced magazine, ok

That's it. My wife's 2000 Honda Accord has had it's share of problems, more than the Merc.

There is no such thing as a perfect car, some think that because it's a Merc. there should be no problem. So far I am happy with the ride, my family fit's comfortabley, wife is 6'1", oldest is 6'4" and youngest is still growing. Great gas mileage for a SUV, good safety rating, and good passing power. Just not too crazy about the ESP, you can turn it off, but it still activates when you aproach extreme limits. That's ok, but sometimes you want total control.

Good luck.....brian
    Didn't see your e-mail in your profile. My e-mail is in my profile. Send me your e-mail and I will get back to you ASAP.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    For what it's worth: back in '99, my wife wanted an ML and nothing else. I had read about the abysmal reliability reports and was worried, but they, those were the days of the NASDAQ bubble and money seemed cheap... :-)

Thus we bouth her the ML320, and the car has performed great. Sure, there were 2 annoyances: the sunroof's edge came off somewhat, and excessive wind noise on the door. Both were taken care of under warranty, quickly and painlessly. If my wife were to chose a new car again, it'd be the ML320 all over again. She loves it.

I think people have such ultra-stringent reliability expectations on MBs these days that the cars can't do anything else except disappoint, even though it really isn't half as bad based on what I observe from people with MBs around me. Sure, the days were Mercedes built cars to a standard, and not to a certain cost, are a thing of the past. No one can afford to do that anymore and be competitive.

But based on our experience with a much maligned '99 model year ML320, we would not hesitate to recommend the car. Seems rock solid to me these days afte the 2 initial service calls for noise and cosmetics.
  • greg_xgreg_x Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased a 99 ML320 with 40K miles on it...

Considering I don't have much warranty left, I want to take it in to the dealer and have any "necessary" things replaced. I've looked at some of the older messages, but can someone summarize what things I should have looked at?

Thanks, Greg
  • troutbum1troutbum1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm on my second ml320. the first was a 99 that i drove for 30 months and logged 83000 miles. Not any problems worth mentioning over that timeframe. When I turned it in it was as tight and great riding/handling as when new.
  • calsmithcalsmith Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2000 ML320 with 26,000 miles, m1,m2,m5, heated seats and cd changer for 33K. I think the differences between a 99 and 2000 are worth going for the 2000 model. If you really look around, you can find a deal on a 2000. I looked for about 2 months before I found mine, and had a drive 5 hours just to get it, but was worth it. I love it. Good luck.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    OK, after many doubts and phone calls (I looked at the pictures of the tires and my tires and thought i had the wrong ones too), here's what I found out.

The tires are asymmetrical, but they are NOT uni-directional (there is no inside or outside and they can roll in either direction). The Tirerack's web site shows two tread patterns, one asymmetric and one symmetric, my tires, and all new ML's (except ML55 which uses sp9000's) look like the symmetric pattern, but are actually asymmetric. The 275/55/17 is only made in an asymmetric pattern. I called Dunlop and spoke with a Tech and she confirmed that in fact I had the correct tire, but that the tread pattern did not look like the asymmetric/uni-directional tire.

You should have Discount tire send you two of the proper size tires or swap them all out for the Grandtreks as you said. I personally like the sp5000's more than the Grandtreks as they have a better on-center feel, seem quieter and have better wet road traction than the old Grandtreks did IMO.

Good luck.
    Randy
  • serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    i heard the m-class is made in Alabama, not in germany,,is this why this suv has reliablity issues and shakes and rattles..i was strongly considering this suv, as i love mercedes, but can this be classified as a real mercedes if it is not made in Germany..i know honda makes cars in OH, but they are $19,000 cars and makes little diff, the BMW is made in Germany, of course $8,000 more than M-320, but you know it is perhaps the best SUV made..
    is the engine made in AL or parts..can someone please expand and give me some more info..should this be a non-issue for me in my suv decision?

kind regards,

eric
  • laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    Guess you'll have to forego considering the BMW X5 since it's made in Spartanburg, S.C. later, ldf
  • sport320sport320 Member Posts: 11
    Additional Resources
    • Find a local dealer
    • Find a new vehicle in your area
    • Find a used vehicle in your area
    • Refinance your auto loan
    • Check vehicle history
    • Get multiple insurance quotes

Low Rate Auto Loans

Click here for a FREE Carfax Record Check!

The Tire Rack

Town Hall Owners Clubs Mercedes-Benz Owners Clubs Mercedes Benz M-Class Owners MB M-Class Owners: Dealers & Service Experiences

MB M-Class Owners: Dealers & Service Experiences
    35 messages, Last post on Mar 12, 2002 at 08:55 AM
    Created by KarenS

Msg#

[beginning of discussion][scroll up 20 messages] (33 previous messages)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#34 of 35 Buying a new 2002 ML320 by miketyner Sep 04, 2001 (12:15 am)
    I saw some posts about buying a 2002 ML and thought I'd share my personal success story. I went down to my local dealer and was quoted MSRP for an order - they seemed more interested in trying to sell me a 2001 model left in stock. I made the mistake of giving the salesman my phone number and I finally told him to quit calling or I'd never buy there again. I have bought two MB's previously - a 1998 ML320 and a 1999 C230. Both vehicles involved the usual grind of back and forth to "the manager" and focusing on the payment instead of the sale price. I saw a post a few weeks ago about the internet manager at Mercedes Benz of Bakersfield so I called him. I gave him the vehicle I want: 2002 ML320 Black Opal/Charcoal/M1/M2/M5/Bose and he just gave me a flat quote of $1000 over invoice. No haggle or anything - the guy just went to bottom line. I called my local dealer back and they assured me that there must be a mistake and I was probably buying a 2001 model. So of course I called Bakersfield back and he sent me a written quote by email on the 2002 model. Needless to say I'm pretty jazzed waiting for my new 320 due in October. If you are near California you should hook up with this guy - very easy and nice to work with. Doesn't even sound like a car salesmen. My dad is working with him right now to order a G500 for delivery later this year. If anybody is interested - here's the guy I am working with:

Ron Hoff
    ronhoff@sangera.com
    800-848-3494

The more we support dealer sales like this will eventually change the way the whole business works. Tell him I sent you...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #35 of 35 Recent issues with Service - Mercedes-Benz of Miami by sport320 Mar 12, 2002 (08:55 am)
    I brought my ML 320 in for a number of small issues. Occasionally when starting the car the fuel gauge would not register any reading, the drivers window would intermittently not operate, and I smelled something burning when driving from time to time (all hard to find things I guessed). The dealer replaced the window switch and the fuel sender (more about this later), and found a small leak in the transmission fluid which they believed was causing the burning smell.

It has 25,000 miles and I was surprised when I was told I needed new front brake pads and rotors as they were 95% worn, I was told the back brakes were at 40% and could wait longer. I am used to brakes later closer to 40,000 miles but this is my first SUV so maybe they don't last as long. I had them replaced and picked up the truck. The next day I smelled gas while driving and when I pulled over to a gas station (the gauge was visibly dropping) gas was pouring out and across the undercarriage.

I called 800-for-merc and they were very helpful and arranged for a tow truck to take me back to the dealer. The dealer told me that a fuel line had ruptured and blamed it on damage caused by the bad fuel sender that they had replaced the previous visit. Personally, I wonder if a fuel was just not properly re attached. I was also surprised that they didn't fill the tank up for me. It had approximately one gallon of gas in it when I got it back.

I have also read posts about people having problems with the MCS, I have to reset mine approximately every 6-8 weeks, by pulling the fuse out of the back of the unit. I have had the system rewired and the command unit replaced, and it still occurs.

Anyone have comments? Are other people going through brakes as quickly?
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    I am approaching 45K on my Y2K ML 320.

so far all has been pretty good, window challenges, just a switch.

I am preparing for my front brakes to be changed for the 1st time

I only was able to get 37K from the Factory Dunlops.

Check out the Continental SUV tire. The same 520 AA rating as the Michlen, $50 cheaper for tire @ Discount Tires. I also had the cross cuts placed on each tire, and I am very Happy with the ride.

Central FL
    Thanks for the update Bertam. That makes sense now.

Mikestaley, are you autocrossing those Dunlops? I got an easy 42k and I drive some pretty windy roads. Beware the Discount Tires website, I have lived on it the past couple of days and have discovered it has many errors. One of course is the mismatched picture of the Dunlops, the other is the temp and 520AA rating on all tires for the ML. It isn't correct. That rating actually applies to the Michelin Cross Terrains. Someone has erroneously cut and pasted the same info into all the tires. I can guarantee you the Grandtreks are not rated as such yet the site says so. I have heard very bad things about the Generals on this website from numerous people.

I think my next attempt is to try the Mich Cross Terrains. Discount can get those readily and are giving me a good price on those. Anyone have experience with Cross Terrains?
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    The ML is made in Alabama however the engine and drive train is made in Germany and shiped to the U.S. as a complete unit.

The greatest problem with the ML "was" the fuel pump, it had an extremely fine prefilter and it would clog up by the varnishes and coatings suspended in the gasoline from the fuel storage tanks.

Other problems were a few small electric issues like switches for the windows and a rattle here and there, mostly upholstery rubbing.

Rattles and shakes, is a gross exageration.

Asides this issues, is a very fine SUV and a capable off roader, with two wins at Dakar in the unmodified class, meaning as is from the show room can testify to the fact, see how many other SUV's have that record in that class, you will have a hard time finding one. Even more remarkable is that the vehicle is only four years old, other SUV's have been made for decades and don't have the wins that the ML has at Dakar and other events.

Also it has a real deep reduction low range and a very precise steering and handling manners, the SUV is very solid built on a heavy frame, all major mechanical components are trouble free and long lasting, is worth to try, you have nothing to lose by testing one, all MB salesmen I have encountered are the nonpressure type, dont want it no problem, have a good day.

I have a 99 430ML and I will do it all over again.
  • budinctbudinct Member Posts: 21
    I'm in the need of a little input.

As I am pricing the 320ML, the pricing is as diverse as the USA.

Has anyone gotten or have beaten $38,600 +tax for M1, M5, Bose and Heated Seats?

I think that this is probably the best I can do but I want to be certain. Thanks
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Folks,

I do not need the following NAV disks and will be happy to sell($ 75 each) if anybody is interested.

MAP Data cd 1,2,3,4 & 7.
    These are brand new 2001.1 version (current). You may e-mail. It is in my profile..
  • serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    The information about the tires I shared was from me buying the tires, not looking @ a web site, as you realize information on any and all sites are not always updated and correct.

The best bet in any purchase is that 1 on 1 customer - agent you are buying from.

Mike
  • ohforesterohforester Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of 2 Benz's 98E300D&98SLK230, both lovely, durable no problem cars.I also have 2 pickup trucks 95K25006.5 TD 4x4 & 93 Toyota 4x2 p/u. So you can see Iam not a UTE lover but I have looked them over many times and driven ML's.
    Any one seriously considering should drive a used
    Toyota Land Cruiser 98> or LX470. Depending on the miles they will be $$ at or below a new ML. ML's have a very questionable tract record to be kind and if you buy one after driving a used TLC or LX470 well_______you won't! Sorry about the "worth-less content". Just wanted to add my "2-cents"
  • digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    I am looking at buying an m class and I would like to know what the invoice price refers to. is it the dealer cost or is it something else. I am assuming it isnt the list price. here in the springfield mass area we only have one mb dealer and they get list. I AM NOT paying list price. thanks in advance.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    I have had several Toyota and Lexus products as well. Had a new LX-470 and an RX-300 for 2 days trial each. I found the air suspension of the 470 too rubbery and the entire vehicle far from confidence inspiring in the corners and lumbering in compound ess turns. Tippy and unsafe feeling. While fine for pulling horse trailers it is simply no match for the superior handling of an ML. They are simply far different vehicles in both design and execution.
    The RX is a Camry - period. My old Avalon was far superior.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I own a 1999 ML320 fully loaded with 3rd row seats with 48K miles on the odo. I shoped around for a couple of third party extended warrantys and they were all quoted me about $2200 to $2500. Based on my experience with the vehicle during the last 48K miles, I figured it was not worth spending that kind of money on extended warranty. I was willing to spend upto $1500. So, I have dropped my plans to buy the extended warranty.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I am in quite a dilemma about whether to keep my 1999 ML320. My company has just moved me to London for two years. I have been thinking of whether to take my car or not. GEICO offered me a very competitive full-coverage insurance rate of $1400 per year to use the Car in UK. I pay more for covergage in New Jersey. They will also cover any loss/damage while shipping the car there. Car Shipping companies have quoted about $700 each way to ship my truck to London. The DVLA in UK (Like our DMV) emailed me saying that I could drive the car there for upto a year on a valid US registration and plates. I figure it will cost be about $2000 to ship the car there and back. I am still not sure if this is the wisest thing to do. I know that the driver sits on the right side in UK, but the last couple of trips to London, I have seen people drive left-hand-drive Camaros, Mercs and stuff like that. So maybe it is not too bad. Besides, I plan to drive around in Europe and cars there are the same as here.

Has anyone had any experience in shipping their car overseas? Any help would be appreciated. If anyone you know is looking to buy a 1999 ML please let me know. I can be reached at tony_cora@rediffmail.com. If I do decide to sell it. I could use some help.
  • lambo_oreolambo_oreo Member Posts: 15
    thats a hell of a deal - i paid 500 more w/o the heated seats.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't have any experience with taking a car abroad.

Two things I would think about: (1) it will cost a bundle to ship the car both ways. Whether you are reimbursed for it - someone will still have to pay it!.

(2) You might get used to having the steering wheel on the "wrong side" but I'd thing that going native will be a big advantage in adapting to driving on the left.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wouldn't want to have to drive in London on a regular basis myself, but you didn't mention wanting to commute. A friend of mine got a motorcycle and stored it on the edge of town so he wouldn't have to fight traffic just trying to get to the countryside. Otherwise it's probably simpler just to rent cars and take public transportation.

Don't forget edmunds.co.uk either :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • carstuff3carstuff3 Member Posts: 11
    I agree that the price of $38,600 for the ML320 as you spec'd is a great deal. Taking into account the 3% dealer holdback, they are making about $1,000. Any extra fees beyond tax and tag/license? I paid more than that 4 years ago for my ML and did not get 4/50 service. I would take the deal. Good luck.
  • budinctbudinct Member Posts: 21
    No, there are no other hidden fees.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel better about buying the car.
    I ordered my '02 ML320 a week before 9/11 and took delivery in early November.

I have M1, M2, M5, heated seat, xenons, BOSE and metallic paint. I paid $41,800 + $290 DMV + tax. I also got a great deal when I traded in my '99 Honda Ody.

Hope this helps.
  • dom55dom55 Member Posts: 4
    I paid $38,364 + tax, lisc, doc fee for 2002 ML 320 VAN, ooops I mean SUV, with M1, M5 and metallic paint in September. I do not like the vehicle, the dealer or the service. Have several quirky problems. Some still exist. Headlites went out, rear seat moves up and down by itself, left headlite and left tail lite went out, alarm sounds for no reason: all these were fixed after 5 repeated visits to dealer. Other problems not fixed: rear wiper goes on by itself with front wiper (they still don't know if this is normal), rattling in front passenger air bag area of dash. Don't want them to touch dash...would probably get worse. The mechanics suck. When they fixed the self moving rear seat, they put grease all over the curtain on the bottom of the seat..still won't come off. Think things will only get worse due to merge with Chrysler. This is my 3rd and last MB. How about that stupid gas cap that hangs down on the side of the car dangling on the paint???? You mean they couldn't make that fit on the inside of the filler door???? Every
    &^%$#@ time I get gas I have to make sure the attendant does not smash the cap onto the paint with the nozzle (no self serve in New Jersey).
  • nikolnikol Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a rack to carry skis on my ML430. Can someone offer any advise on either Thule or Yakima racks? Is the Mercedes rack made by one of these manufacturers?

Also, some model numbers and internet sources for the best pricing is appreciated.

TIA.
    Sorry to hear about all your ML problems. So far, mine has been behaving pretty well (knocking on wood). BTW, I live in NJ too. I bought my ML from MB of Morristown and has been getting service at Globe. Which dealership do you get your service from?