Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    I've ran my ML320 over 100mph and it handled like I was going 50,very smooth and responsive.Over 20000 mi,Knock on wood no problems
  • bon_bonbon_bon Member Posts: 20
    So I visited my local dealer to buy some accessories for my new ML 500. He suggested that I should get Auto Bhond(?? Some kind of clear bra) installed over the front hood, bumber, grill, indicators and below. It protects the paint from stone chips, bugs, etc. This product is called Auto Bonhd here in New Hampshire/Massachusetts (It might be called something else in other places). Has anyone heard of it before ? Is it really good ? Does anyone has any recommendations that I should get it installed ? Let me know.

He also said that the wheels and tires are not covered by the standard Mercedes Warranty that comes with the new car. So he was offering for about $399 a five year warranty plan that covers the tires and wheels (in case you go over something, mostly side curbs or rocks and damage them). Is this true ? Has anyone taken this warranty and would recommend it ? Any ideas on this one would be appreciated.

Regards,

--Bon Bon
  • bon_bonbon_bon Member Posts: 20
    First of all "Congratulations on your new Car", I am sure you'd enjoy it just as I do. Please don't get me wrong, I just love my car and was pointing the things that annoyed me (in comparision to RX 300). Actually, I was not trying to compare apples with oranges as they are two different beasts and cannot be (actually should not be in my opinion) compared. But certain features made sense to us and I was merely pointing them out in my review.

> I agree with bon_bon on a couple of things. The Navigation System was a
    > slight disappointment because you have to enter the address in a parked
    > position. It's probably good because it prevents me from typing while
    > driving, but doesn't explain preventing the passenger ability to do so. This
    > is a small inconvenience because I didn't buy the car to tell me where to
    > go. But I have found that you don't have to have the radio on when using the
    > Nav System. Put on the CD player. If there's a CD in it, pause it. Or, put
    > it on an empty CD slot.
    This is a hack not a solution. I had figured this one out myself but the point I was trying to make was that they should have provided some kind of feature to shut the Radio/CD off. Anyway this is something I can live with, so I would'nt worry about it too much.

> But I wish the CD player controls were a little closer to me, or on the
    > wheel. But I'm tall and I can handle it. The changer in the back is a good
    > idea. Let's not clutter the front cabin with CD's and cases. That really
    > gets to me.

I disagree. Have you seen front dasboard closet for RX300 ? Even with a CD changer in it, it is still a lot bigger than the one I have on ML 500 which I think is ridiculously small. Even the maual set packet does not fit in it. With a 6 CD Changer, there would be no need for you to clutter your front cabin with CD covers, etc. Atleast I never did. On a similar note, the RX300 has space between the MCS and the gear lever. You can easily put a bag/purse, etc. right next to you and it comes very handy. We really miss the absence of that *extra* space. I wonder how they did it and at the same time also wonder why Merceded cannot do it.

> Yes, I feel some of the road, but this is the best driving truck around.
    > Remember, it is not a Camry body. It is a truck, and a powerful one at that.

I agree and that's why I bought it in the first place. I was just saying that this happens so if someone does not care about the SUV features, and smooth riding is important to them, then this might be an important piece of information for them. But I still don't understand why they could not make the ride even smoother ? Could someone answer this one for me, wife wants to know too. Different kind of suspension system maybe ?

> I hear the engine when I accelerate, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I
    > love knowing that I have something in reserve on the freeway when I have to
    > get around traffic, and I'm already cruising at 65. Just don't stomp on it.
    > You don't have to.

We are feeling a lot better know that we have driven the car for a few weeks. But when we first got into the ML 500 from RX300, we found it struggling for power (ironic ?). I guess that's the magic of the VT engine. They don't let you feel that grunt.

> As for air recirculation: It is unhealthy to recycle the same air
    > continuously in the cabin. Normally, you want to pull in "fresh" air to
    > replenish "old" air. A common complaint in airplanes is second-hand air:
    > Recycled air spreads throughout the cabin and everyone shares the air.

Once again I disagree. Do you live in a city ? When diesel fumes from the bus infront of you come into your car, you give a damn about the air quality inside car. Your first impulse is to shut the bloody thing off ASAP. But then it comes back up again in five minutes. How comforting !! Now imagine you are in a stop and go traffic, especially in a tunnel (Have you heard of the Big Dig ?) and stuck in the traffic for a long time (a common thing here), should your focus be on traffic ahead of you or on that little button every five mintues ? So I can say that air recirculation can be very important in certain situations and they should provide a way to override the timer.

> I am grateful there is no sound for the lock/unlock doors. Some people may
    > need this to locate their car in a parking lot, but I don't really want to
    > call attention to myself by chirping each time I park, so this works for me.

The point was not to call attention by chirping but to use it as a guidance. But again we can live without this one. Although, sometimes during the day, in the absence of any sound, I really have to look at the locks to see if the car is locked (they go down). During the night the three flash signals in the indicators are easy to spot.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your car as much as we do.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I have seen this clear film that a lot of people down here put on the fronts of their cars. A friend put it on the front of his 996 Turbo and while its not too bad looking, you can see it. My biggest complaint is that in order to go around some of the corners, they put a lot of "cuts" so the material wouldn't wrinkle. If you have a light colored truck, you'll hardly see it or these cuts, if it's dark (like his 996) you can see them, especially if someone uses a white wax that builds up in the cuts.

The good side is it really does seem to work for most of the nicks and chips. From what i hear it can be removed and replaced once it starts looking bad. It can't prevent all the chips, as some rocks and such will break through it, but it seemed to really help his car. How much do they want for it. I think my friend paid about $500 for the front end, behind the front and rear wheels on the edges of the wheel wells, and a few other "high impact" areas.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    I'm in the Boston area. Wrote up a review of the Autobahnd film. Go to www.keysolutions.com/M-Class and click on the Reviews section.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I tried to get the invisible bra for the ML in December when I took delivery. The whole set was not available when I inquired about it.(not from dealer; I think it was 'Perfomance Products') There are two pieces... one for the hood/grill and another for the mirrors/bumper. I ended up getting a dark smoke colored hood shield that is supposed to protect the windshield from rocks/sand etc. I have also tried to get mudguards but the full set is not available until a few more weeks. (Per Dealership) I think the fronts were available but not the rears. Anyway, I want them.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • mike_xmike_x Member Posts: 1
    Just got my new ML320 a few weeks back. I also bought a 2000 psi, 2.5 gal/min pressure washer recently. Is it safe to use it to wash my new car without damaging its finish? Thanks for any advise.
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    You can also get the product at http://www.xpel.com

Also, I bought a tire warranty from America's Tire Store for around $100. But it doesn't cover the rims, though.

• spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    i have a 98 ml -- and am going to get something new. can someone comment on the quality and overall improvements to the 2002 vehicle.

thx.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Can you elaborate on your ML, like how many miles, anything serious or just the typical complaints?

Thanks
  • cvs4cvs4 Member Posts: 1
    Every once in a while, since a month after we bought our 2001 ML 320, we notice thick white smoke from the exhaust - enough to cause people following to brake. Have taken it back to the dealer a couple of times, but they haven't yet found the problem. Anybody having this problem ? Any pointers/help would be appreciated.
    Thx
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    white smoke is a sign of one of two things.

1) Water as a byproduct of combustion which is recondensing into visible steam.

2) Coolant leakage into combustion or exhaust system.

1. should only occur when the engine is cold and is okay

2. There should be a noticeable drop in the radiator coolant level or reservoir level. Hopefully this is still covered under the warranty.
  • ripleyiiiripleyiii Member Posts: 10
    ...and this is now. I guess the early glow of the ML500 has to rub off sooner or later. Since the creaks and squeaks have shown up, I've become just a tad bit annoyed.

I've taken it to the dealer and left it overnight. They fixed an annoying knock in the left rear behind the driver, but the squeak in the driver's seat persists. They heard it too. After they initially "fixed" it, it's back. I'm gonna have to take it in again.

There's an annoying rattle in the passenger side seatbelt well. My wife hears it constantly, and I hear it over big bumps. Gotta have them take care of that, too.

Anybody had this experience with these noises?

My neighbor asked what kind of gas mileage I get. Ha! I told her that shouldn't be a consideration when buying a V8 with 288 horses.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    White smoke is steam, I doubt the water is coming from the cooling system because by now the engine would have overheated and the dealer would have detected the problem very easy. Most likely is water in the gas, long time ago I fueled in a gas station in N.C. not long after that my car started to belch white smoke (steam) like a steam locomotive, I could not see the traffic behind me.
  • mymlmyml Member Posts: 12
    Check the seat belt on the rear right passenger side and make sure it is not in contact with the door panel, etc. Had a similar problem and found out about the seat belt thing.
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    I did not renew my teleaid service after the first year. Ever since it expired, every now and then I would get the message "TELEAID PLEASE VISIT WORKSHOP" on the radio screen after turning on the radio. Is this just becuase I no longer have the teleaid service, or is there a real problem? Thanks.
  • procterprocter Member Posts: 19
    mike_x - I would not do it except on the tires and rims and then don't get too close to the tires. My 3200psi owners manual warns you can pop a tire. Baaad news!!! I've seen one pop at a service station. Takes out lots of stuff. I've tried to find the right pressure balance with mine for the painted stuff. It either takes off the paint or is not strong enough to take off the dirt. I've given up.

riplyiii - Don't know why the 500 would be much better than the rest. After 25,000 miles on my ML 320 I've concluded I paid for the traction system and the drive train. The body is a rattle trap. Worse than my 1994 Mercury Sable which also has better creature features.
  • siripongsiripong Member Posts: 2
    I have the same rear rattle problems from 3,000 miles on my 1999-ML430. Many trip to the services department with new rear trunk strike plate replaced each trip.

One day I asked my son to sit in the rear cargo trunk area and listen to the noise and found the noise from the same rear trunk strike plate.

I solve the problem by insert a hard half inch rubber hose and about three inches long behind the rear(trunk body)stike plate receiver, this solution solve the rear trunk door from moving left/right, this cause the strike plate to station tight without rubbing with the door, now no more noise.
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I know that the rattles and groaning that come from the back liftgate can be very frustrating, but it sounds like maybe you missed making the standard adjustment used to correct the noise that the rubber hose corrected for you. On both sides of the body adjacent to the tail lights and next to the rubber seal for the lift gate there is an adjustable hard rubber bumper that can be screwed in or out to create enough tension on the door to keep it from rattling. I have a 98 ML that I bought new and initially used this adjustment including a new latch to eliminate all rattles and groans from the rear deck. With the proper adjustment i'm sure you could dispense with the rubber hose.
    Wally
  • siripongsiripong Member Posts: 2
    I did have the trunk adjusted by unscrewing the hard rubber out on both sides so that it closed tightly. I believe the problem had to do with the latch. The striker of the latch is protected by a thin layer of rubber, which prevents it from rubbing against the latch receiver and making noise. However, after a couple hundred miles on poorly paved, bumpy Boston streets, the protective rubber on the latch wore out, leaving the two pieces of metal(the stike plate receiver and the now bare strike plate hook) to rub up against one another, and create noise. Now, if my ML hits a pothole and the frame twists, the trunk latch can be heard rattling, despite the fact that it was adjusted in the past.

I have had my trunk latch replaced a couple of times, and each time the problem was fixed only temporarily. I put the rubber tubing in approximately five months ago -- it may not have the same aesthetical value as the rest of my Mercedes, but it prevents the rattling much better than the solutions from the dealership service department do. Besides, when the trunk is closed, the rubber cannot be seen from inside or out, and I haven't heard a rattling from the trunk ever since.
  • roger58roger58 Member Posts: 3
    Just replaced my trouble prone Conti 4x4 contac tires on my 2002 ML500 sport with Pirelli Scorpion zeros. I am much much happier. All vibration gone at all speeds, much softer ride(even at increased inflation ), terrific dry and wet weather grip. Would highly recommmend them.
  • avoiceusavoiceus Member Posts: 1
    After my 99ML320 lease ended, I finance a 2002 ML320. So far had 1300 miles on it, very happy with the car overall. The offer price from my dealer in NJ was 3% mark up from the TMV published on Edmunds.com. The steering wheel feels much firmer now compared with 99 models. GPS was one of the most useful features and it calculates routes way MUCH faster than my handheld Garmin GPS V+. Asked dealer to install sunroom wind deflector and basic carrier, turned out the basic roof carrier is making too much wind noise when vehicle travels at higher speed (60mphs+). I had to remove it and decide to use it only in winter when I have skiing trips. The coin holder is very disappointing: it’s hold something like 10 quarters and 5 out 10 times the coin fall off when you are taking them out with one hand.
  • satycsatyc Member Posts: 1
    Hello avoiceus, Did nav come std on your 320. I am picking up my 320 on wed and from i have been told it is not an option on 320. Can you share with me how you managed to get it. And how much you paid for it. I would love to have it installed..
    Thanks
    Saty C
  • ripleyiiiripleyiii Member Posts: 10
    Where IS the coin holder, avoiceus? (I suppose I need to read the books that come with my ML, but so far I've put it off.)
  • flexstarflexstar Member Posts: 3
    I just took delivery of my second ML 320 (first '99) and am very unhappy with the new headlights. I find that I easily "overdrive" the low beams at 6o MPH. I am curious to know if a dealer could install the older ('99, '00 or '01) headlights in the new '02 ML. The headlight area appears to be idelical but what about the wiring plugs? Any comments would be appreciated.

Flexstar
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Hi, Walther

Your dissatisfaction with the '02 headlights surprise me - most people seem to think that the '02s are superior to the previous years - even the "ordinary" halogens.

You might check whether the lights are not aimed too low - I test drove a Bi-Xenon equipped ML some time back, and the headlight aim was so "polite" that I also had the impression of "overdriving" the low beams.

If you decide to change: As quite a number of people are upgrading to the '02 lights, you will have a very good chance of acquiring a set of pre-'02 lights at a fair price. Unfortunately I'll be needing mine after my coming Bi-Xenon upgrade due to legal reasons - otherwise it would have been an excellent opportunity.

Instead of getting the pre-'02 lights you may consider getting the Bi-xenons. They're not cheap, but most certainly worth it.

I'm not sure about the connections - check the www.mbnz.org forum about this.

Kind regards,
    Birger
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Hi all, I have a 2000 ML320. Has anyone ever noticed that the ML "kicks" in 2nd gear from 1st? This doesn't happen from stand-still acceleration. It only happens when ML is slowed from 2nd or above -> 1st (still in motion, not a complete stop) -> 2nd gear. Sometimes I can even hear the "kick" from 1st ->2nd.

Thanks!
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Yes, I do have ML320 MY2000 like yours and I do feel what you are talking about if I put too much gas on take off. What I did to eliminate that kick, I ease up on gas during take off and I noticed on mine it only happened while the engine is cold. Hope this will help.
    Thanks for the reply. Somehow mine happens all the time @ slow speed w/ too much gas. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot. Do you hear anything when your ML kicks in 2nd gear?

Our other car has almost 100,000 miles on it. The transmission is a bit rough sometimes if I step hard on the gas, but I never heard anything when the transmission is shifting. It only happens on the ML...probably only on my ML =(
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    I didn't hear any sound but I can feel when it kicks, just for the 2nd gear . Otherwise mine shifted smooth.Have the dealer take a look at it before it gets worse, what ever it is they can figure it out to prevent the further damage. They probably need to adjust some kick down linkage, I think.
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    Months ago I introduced to this forum the problem of hesitation with the 01 ML320, MB has acknowledge (finally)this problem, and replaced my ECU with a 02 ECU. They stated the ECU coding was unable to read the "blends" of gasoline. Apparently gas comes in summer, winter, and mixed blends. The ECU codes read the gas and sends it to the injectors, and what have you to distribute to the engine. In my truck and others with this problem this either wasn't happening, or the communication was happening too slowly.

If you are experiencing hesitation (after coming to a complete stop) please don't take "no" for an answer - it took me 9 months to get them to listen to me. Each time they returned my truck they stated there was nothing wrong.....then I called Montvale NJ (MB CORP) and things got done.

Neicey
    In the 01 ML the coin holder is a useless piece of black rubber found under the console top. I have removed mine as it impaired the ability to freely store and remove CD's. Since I don't smoke I put change in the ash tray (much to my husbands dismay) but be careful small coins fall between the console and removable ashtray spaces and are difficult to remove. This IS NOT an option for large hands, as it's difficult for my hubby to remove coins when he borrows (yikes)my truck.

Neicey
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    What changes are in store, do you think they will ever get a DVD based Nav system?
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I had the same problem. Had the Shift Control Module replaced under warranty and it is fine now. Had to leave the car for a day as they had to order the Shift Control Module. Nothing to get worried about, but get it done when your car is still under warranty.
    Thought we'd have a little fun in this forum by listing the things we feel would transform our truck into the "ultimate ML".

I'll go first:

My name is Denise (aka Neicey)I own a desert silver, 2001 ML 320 with 17,000+ miles. My dream ML would possess:

headlights like those on the 02 (performance products)

hella fog lamps (my roadster.net)

new burl vent covers/door handles (my roadster.net)

sun roof wind deflecter (performance products)

mud flaps

mobile audio system (tv in headrests)
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    Does anyone know how much it costs to add the 3rd row jump seats on an ML320?
    Do you have a source other than the dealer who can provide this accessory?

I'm trying to sell my 2000ML320 and everyone who calls says they want the jump seats.

Thanks,
    First of all ML's third row is a lot more than a "jump seat" the third row is two FULL seats which can comfortably hold an adult for short trips. I use the 3rd row for my grandson, and he now has no desire to move to the 2nd row.

The third row can be taken out, or folded out of the way for groceries or cargo, they have been crashed and safety tested and have a full seatbelt feature. Adding them can be done, but you will catch hell trying to get into the 3rd row.

When a ML is designed with the third row the second row folds down at least 3 different ways to gain access to the last seat.
  • eric95eric95 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 ml320. It now has 54,000 miles and so far has been a great car. I change my own oil, filters, fluids, etc.

Has anyone ever changed their own fuel filter.

If you have please tell me where it is and the simplest way to change it.

thanks
  • mcqpmcqp Member Posts: 1
    I had front brake pads changed at 20k, 30k and now 40k miles at the MB dealer shop. These pads lasted only 10k miles???. Rear brake shoes lasted 20k miles. My wife drives the car mostly on the freeway to work in Orange County, CA. I asked the Service Manager at MB dealer and he said it is normal; sometimes they last only 8k miles. What kind of MB products quality is this???. I mean I could get 40k miles on the brake pads/shoes that I replaced on my 99 Toyota 4runner . Had anyone have the same experience/problem?. Please reply. Thanks
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    neicy59;
    Any idea what is would cost to add the seats?
    I don't really care how functional they are, just to inform a prospective buyer that it can be done
    and how much it costs. When you say they can comfortably seat adults, are you referring to midgets?

mcqp; I just had my 20k mile maintenence done on our 2000ML320 and they said the front pads needed to be replaced. They quoted us $280 to replace them! to just replace 2 pads.
    After we declined to have MBZ do it, because it's less than $100 down the street, they called back to say they were going to replace the steering column, the sunroof motor and the front shocks (all covered by warranty). I guess this is good revenue for them since they can bill the factory.
    Thanks for the info. I'll mention that to the service manager on my next service.
  • digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    does anyone know when the production run for a given year ends for the m class? also wont after market HID lights work on the m class? what is the REAL difference between HID lights that I can get installed from a local franchised trim shop [just rite auto trim, cheezy name but very good workmanship] and the mb specific ones?
  • unsure3unsure3 Member Posts: 8
    Heard this week that the ML320 will be replaced by a larger-engined ML370 starting with the 2003 model year. Production for the existing 320 stops at the end of May or June (can't remember which), meaning that the new car should be in dealer showrooms late summer/early fall.

Only change to ML500 is apparently a DVD-based navigation system.

Prices are expected to increase slightly for the ML500 - $500 - $1000, but it's unclear how far above the current 320's MSRP the 370 will be priced.
  • unsure3unsure3 Member Posts: 8
    Apparently the MB-installed are self-levelling, unlike typical aftermarket lights. I'm sure std xenon bulbs could be fitted to any model year card, but you'd lose the benefits associated with self-levelling.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Any information regarding the increase in hp/torque? MB needed to do something to keep up with the competition in this department. Will this engine be shared with the C and/or E?

Is the full redesign scheduled for 2005? Have we heard what direction MB is going to take the ML at that time. The GST will be coming out at approximately the same time.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • brightwellbrightwell Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a used ML320 with 48,000 miles. Know the previous owner..no problems there. I would like to hear from all you current 1999 320 owners regarding any serious problems...Especially from any of you with high mileage (aka lots of experience with this vehicle). I REALLY need to know what to expect as it will take me about 10 years to pay off!!
    Please help.. I appreciate your advice!
    :)
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    What type of fuel does Mercedes officially recommend for the ML320 - Premium, or Regular?
  • carstuff3carstuff3 Member Posts: 11
    I have a early 1998 ML320, purchased 12/97. I have 80,000 miles on the truck. Some early issues in the warranty period, under 50,000 miles, but the last 30,000 have been trouble free. The brakes pads have been replaced only once since new. This is not a babied ML320, always maintained properly by the dealer, but a lot of real off road driving. I still cannot believe how versatile this vehicle is compared to the competition. Definitely the best all around SUV available new or used. Good Luck!