Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    I have been driving Mercedes vehicles for the last fifteen years and have had very good service from them. I currently own a 1998 ML320 and a 2000 E430. My ML has had all of the typical problems that have been documented on this list and the dealership has not balked at fixing any of them. I like my ML very much after having gone through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb fixing the problems as I'm very picky, the truck now doesn't have any rattles or squeeks but it definitely did when it was new. The great thing one has going for an ML is the Mercedes drive train that is second to none and one should easily get 200K plus miles from it given decent maintenance. My bother has a four year old Toyota 4 Runner that he bought new and although it is a good vehicle, it is a very rough riding truck and I wouldn't want one if I was going to do much distance driving in it as on a trip it will wear you out. I have never had any difficulty with the engine, transmission, differential with any of my Mercedes and have seen them all go over 200K miles.
    Just my opinion.
    Wally
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    new pics @ http://fullspeed.to/ml

dt77

• orlandorland Member Posts: 9
    Is it not how a car drives far more important than whether some "creature comforts" are standard or available at an extra cost? Why would you not want fresh air most of the time-- even in LA, which I visit several times a year? My worst mileage on a 2002 ML320 driving in the Bay Area has been about 15 mpg and the best has been 20.4.

The ML, as every other vehicle, is far from perfect, but why dwell on such trivial matters?
  • alg70alg70 Member Posts: 2
    Any positive experiences in Essex county?
  • billyttbillytt Member Posts: 14
    I agree with orland that the reviewer seems to have spent an inordinate amount of time on recirculation. I have used recirculation only a handful of times, primarily to speed up cooling or when passing through an area with a foul odor. I appreciate the 30 minute timer as it eliminates having to remember to manually turn it off.

The reviewer is wrong about not having automatic door locks. My 2002 ML320 has that feature and works flawlessly. While not inabled by default, turning it on is described in the owners manual and, if I recall, was quite easy.

While the CD changer in the back is inconvenient, there is an in-dash single CD dealer-installed accessory that fits behind the MCS panel just below the cassette (not the Navigation System unit.) If I recall correctly, it was pretty cheap by MB standards ($395 list, but deeply discountable depending on your negotiating prowess.)

Finally, I do not know how the reviewer drove, but I have averaged 19.8 mpg over the entire 14,000 miles that I have put on my ML, mostly in-town (albeit, not stop-and-stop as in LA.)
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I've been following some posts on an Acura MDX board (not Edmunds; Steve; can I put in the address of that board, or is that against the rules?) This guy had a camshaft bearing seize, at 5000 miles. Acura told him that the best they would do was repair the engine, take it or leave it; no question of a new car or even new eng, which by the way was cheaper than the repair in the end. They gave him a Durango after he told them he was writting them up on the forum. I complained of a squealing noise in my ML430, and before they had finished they had replaced both front wheel bearings, and the transfer case, and given me a new E class to drive. That's how a luxury brand should treat the customer I think it's against the rules to say who my dealer was, but it was in Hickory, NC
    We don't mind you naming your dealer - we do frown on naming competing car forums, even though we realize that there are lots of car specific enthusiast sites out there (google, anyone?). Maybe they'll start buying ad space like Tire Rack or Carfax :-)

Thanks for asking!

Steve
    Host
  • sam_mlsam_ml Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody. I am new member about to buy my first Mercedes a ML 500 2002.

I have priced following
    Brilliant Silver Metallic/ Charcoal Int.
    168 Bose sound Sys. with changer
    172 Xenon Head lamps.
    M3 Convenience package
    M5 Sunroof package
    Navigation CD collection.

The lease offered was $839 a month.

They will pay me my $536 current lease payment which I have to pay for early termination of the lease.(Which will be built into the new ones price I guess)

I am about to sign for it. Can anybody advise on the price. Dealership is in NJ. I live in NY.

Thanks.
  • c_j_gordonc_j_gordon Member Posts: 19
    Where online can I buy a trailer wiring harness and relay for my 99 ML 320? The original one has rotted away and dealer refuses to swap even though I though it would be under warranty. Thanks in advance!
  • maneesh1maneesh1 Member Posts: 39
    Hi all:

I've posted before asking for your assistance in making the decision but have more questions.

For one thing, someone mentioned the dealer installed single CD.. does anyone have it - how good is it? Also, and most importantly, over in the MDX townhall, owners have made mods by adding DVD, TV tuner, rear view mirror and having it displayed on the MCS screen... Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Please share your thoughts and experiences.

thanks,
    maneesh
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I finally had my ML shipped to London. I don't find it a problem driving a US spec vehicle here in UK. I drove to Oxford last weekend. It is great to be able to do 90+ MPH on the Motorway. Ofcourse one must watch out for the Speed Cameras. It is far more fun than doing 65 MPH on the NJ Tpke.

My first shocker was when I put in a full tank of gas. Cost me 50 Pounds. We really have it good on the US.

Tony
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Before you make your decision, you would do well to look at some of the Acura MDX forums (other than Edmunds, although Edmunds is a very good one. Use Google and ask for Acura MDX forums. ) On one board a guy describes how he had a cam shaft bearing freeze up and blew the engine, at 5000 miles. If that weren't bad enough, when he tried to get Acura to replace the car, they told him the best they would do was rebuild the damaged engine; take it or leave it. Great treatment from a "luxury" brand, wouldn't you say? As I've described on this board, my dealer replaced a transfer case, in my ML430, unasked, while in the process of diagnosing a noise, and gave me a new E class while they had the car!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Acura corporate is significantly less responsive than MB corporate. Usually (but not always), if you make enough calls to MB corporate, you can get some action. It takes a lot more work to get something out of Acura corporate. Since the 5th-year ML still struggles to achieve even average quality (JD Power) and there are plenty of owners who have to visit their dealers repeatedly to fix issues, having that MB corporate support as a backup is important. With the MDX, you have a significantly lower statistical risk of issues, but if you have to go beyond your dealer, you might get less support unless you really push them.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    It's interesting to know that. Keep us updated. I heard European MLs have thinner tires to reduce rolling resistance. Since gas price is so much higher there, thinner tires are used to reduce fuel consumption. I'm not sure if that's true. You may want to look into that when it's time to get new tires.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    I have just the single CD player in my 2000 ML320.
    It sounds fine. Not as nice as a multi-disc player but much more convenient than dealing with a player in rear corner.

Had it replaced once already. It started to miss the beginning of the song. On some CD's more than others. It would start anywhere from 10 seconds to 1:30 into the song. It knew where it was in the song but didn't understand it missed the beginning.

I mentioned it once and the dealer replaced the unit without a hassle.
  • joseph40joseph40 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 1999 ML 320. Over the weekend my sunroof stuck in the open position. Today my dealer said that my sunroof frame had "worn out" and needed to be replaced, and that the cost ($1600) is not covered by the extended warranty.

The dealer went on to claim that this occurs from "normal wear and tear" on the sunroof. My problem with this explanation is that the vehicle is less than 3 years old, and we can count the number of times we have actually opened the sunroof.

Has anyone else had this problem? Please help.
  • ohloneohlone Member Posts: 55
    Our Y2K ML320 went in for it's 21k mile check up recently and one item they replaced was the motor for the sunroof. I thought it might be a little slow, but I had no idea it needed replacing. It was done at no cost to me. We also got new shocks, which came as a surprise as well.

I think the response you got back from MBZ is pretty lame. And it also goes on to support my feeling that extended warranties are a huge rip off.

best of luck
    Yes, my '99 sunroof is falling to pieces and I rarely use it. The more the dealer works on it, the worse it gets. The motor barely turns.
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Kiwii,

It's partly true. Until MY 2002, the base tire dimension for non-North American ML 230, 270 and 320 was a rather skinny 225/75-16, with upgrades possible towards "your" 265/65-16 or 275/55-17 - or even an ML55 AMG-like 285/50-18 option. However, few ML's were seen around withe the basic tires, as they look downright silly ;-)

Since MY 2002, the basic tire size is 255/60-17, with upgrades to 275/55-17 and 285/50-18.

IMHO, the difference in fuel consumption is not significant - the tall, wide and heavy body plays a much bigger role (as does the driver's right foot).

Cheers,
    Birger
  • procterprocter Member Posts: 19
    My comments:
    1. dealer install CD's are going to be more expensive than the local Electronics store and will probably not be as good. by the way -- my Pioneer (Supertuner III) tuner's (3 of them dating back to 1980's in various cars will pull in any station for about 100 miles beyond the junk the cars co's install and at about 1/2 the cost.

2. not clear on the concept. you want to watch tv and drive?

For one thing, someone mentioned the dealer installed single CD.. does anyone have it - how good is it? Also, and most importantly, over in the MDX townhall, owners have made mods by adding DVD, TV tuner, rear view mirror and having it displayed on the MCS screen... Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Please share your thoughts and experiences.

thanks,
    maneesh
    This is another place where a real maintenance manual sold by MB would be nice.

It's not in the owner's manual as far as I can discern. Good luck!!!
    hi,

I guess what I' referring to is an entertainment system that has a DVD and a TV tuner (not the VCP accessory offered by MB for $2k.) Along with that, on the MDX, you can install a rearview camera and have the display bee seen on the Nav screen in the dash. Was wondering if anyone has tried to add these accessories on their ML.

It seems that the MDX is more versatile, and modifications can be made with ease while the ML is too proprietary.

It would not have killed them to add radio controls on the steering wheel. I'm so used to this in my I30. Even the Honda Pilot has it.

Yes I am aware of the great service MB has to offer (except this one dealer in Jersey)... But if it was only easy to add non-MB accessories to this truck.
    I know some may tow heavy loads or do some off-roading.. I only need something to combat the snow.

PROS:
    Better off-road and more stable than MDX
    Name/reputaton
    luxurious seats and real wood
    can probably get a better price

CONS:
    3rd party entertainment system compatability
    build quality - although minor in 2002.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    can anybody comment on the quality of the new mLs, as well as the drive/comfort differences between 02 and previous versions??

thx.
  • pandaipippandaipip Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone.. it was a bad day for me. Some stupid people stole my Big Silver Star on the the front Grille at my 2002 ML320. Anyone have any idea where can I buy that Star except teh dealer. i think the dealer will charge very expensive on that Little plastic star. Thank..... :-(
  • needwheelsbadneedwheelsbad Member Posts: 2
    We are looking at both of these SAV/AAV's and are having a tough time choosing.. The BMW rides better but the 2002 M-Class is better than previous years. Are there any ML320 Sport owners out there who have gone through this decision? I would appreciate any comments from ML320 Sport owners.

Thanks
  • rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    I had the same thing happen. I could not find another source, so I went to the dealer and it was around$26.00 retail. It twists on, making it very easy for someone to swipe. I installed the new one and took a cable tie and tied it to a spot under the hood, which should slow down the next person that tries to take it. Can't really even notice it from the front.
  • 1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    I recently bought a 99 ML 320 and have no idea if its the classic or elegance. It has a moonroof, heated seats, trip computer on the roof with multiple modes, side runners/steps, alloy wheels, leather seats, tape player (no CD!). Anyone know?
  • 1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    I recently bought a 99 ML 320 and have been reading these forums to find out what owners have to say. Yesterday I read about sunroof problems and while driving at speed on highway 417 with mine open, I thought, Gee I'm lucky- mine works great. That was yesterday. Today on the way in to work I tried to close it and the metal arms went "ping" and fell off. One landed in my lap (with the large deflector piece) and the other one stayed wedged between the glass and the metal, keeping my roof open by about 1/2 inch. We're expecting rain today so I have to run home and stick the truck in the garage.

I'm still under warranty- any idea if this will be covered? I haven't had a chance yet to call the dealer.
  • ohloneohlone Member Posts: 55
    When we purchased our Y2K ML320 it came with all service included for 3 years. In my mind it means I just need to pay for gas, registration and insurance after that.

After taking it in for the second oil change, MBZ called to ask for authorization to replace the front brake pads for $280.00 Now I understand that brakes aren't part of the deal, but I really don't want to pay MBZ mechanics to replace my pads.

After telling them I'll take care of it myself, MBZ went on to replace the sunroof motor, front shocks and the stearing column. All of which were working as far as I could tell.

I'm convince that when a customer like me, is a dead beat who doesn't want to pay for anything at the dealer after shelling out MSRP for the car,
    MBZ service goes into a revenue seeking mode and starts charging the factory on any item they know has a history of problems.

I can't tell if this is a service or disservice since I know the records will state that there were alot of items replaced on the car.

With that said, I still like the car, but think I paid way too much for a car that doesn't live up to the MBZ reputation.
  • peters98ml320peters98ml320 Member Posts: 1
    I would also have a look at the capability of the MDX to move with only one wheel on solid footing.
  • ronayangronayang Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2002 ML320 with GPS system last weekend. I did months of comparison shopping with X5, RX300, MDX and Audi wagon prior. And the ML was the car for me because of its cargo space and classy looks, I thought.
    But not until I got it, I found out how much I like it beyond the space and the looks. I was very impressed with the build quality, and interior details. The only thing I found annoying so far is the lack of door-ajar light -- no excuse for that, a 15 year old chrysler has that feature. Heard people say the NAV system on the ML is comfounding, and I don't know what they're talking about. It's very easy to use, not any worse than the Honda's touch screen system my mother inlaw has.
    I own a BMW 528 for a few years, and I didn't know what I was missing in terms of dealer service quality until I bought the ML. The dealer was so much nicer, and more willing to accomendate your needs. I feel the 46K is well worth it.
    I also want to comment on the RX300, and that some people say that its look appeals to females. I think it maybe true for older females, who just likes lexus' practicality anyways. I found it as much lack of character as the MDX.
    Cut down on the categories please.
    After trying my strap on rack (and having had it scratch another car) I opted for a used Thule roof rack. Cost $200 complete at the local Recycle Sport Rack store. Works great.
    So you only have to pay $26 for a little piece of plastic! I'd be tempted to bondo the hole and spray paint it. MB has got you by the .... Only suggestion is a store in West Oakland CA. Mercedes Only. They might be able to help.
    You need to look at other forums. The other one wheel car is the Jeep Quadra not the MDX. But who cares? A better test is the scrabble. Both Jeep and Toyota win on a gravel grade (something like 75% with 4 to 6 cm of gravel). Neither the ML or he MDX can make it.

My experience from years in snow driving (as stated in prior postings.): The ML is the best highway/street traction for the ordinary person I've ever seen.

But!!! If you want to go though 1 meter deep snow, get the Jeep or a 4 X 4 with locking x-fer and differentials.
    All,

Just picked up my ML with M1, M2, M5, heated seats from the dealer. This truck is awesome. It is very lux... Love the features... Now let's talk about the accessories.

I want to add a CD player, DVD player, nav, screen monitor and reverse camera..

Has anyone doen these things on their ML? For some reason, these things are easy to add on an MDX but not on an ML.

THanks,
    maneesh
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Quadra-Drive is also available on the Pontiac Aztek and Buick Rendezvous, although it's called Versatrak in those applications.

Of course, they lack a low gear and locking differentials.

BTW, in 3 years of driving Ford Bronco's in muck, snow, and sand, I can only remember locking the hubs and shifting into "low" a handful of times.
    All:

Wondering if you ML owners got the same.

I just realized that my floor mats don't say Mercedes on it or have the 3 pointed start. Even my Camry came with mats that said Toyota. Is this normal?

Also, the interior illumination lists and the reading lights turn on. None of them do. What gives? Was something deactivated or is there a broken fuse?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    thanks in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Just a reminder: I don't know if your offer was for real - but - we don't buy and sell items on these boards. Edmund's Terms of Use, to which we all agreed when we signed on, don't permit that.

See Terms of Use

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories

• biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Sorry.,i deleted my message
  • troutbumtroutbum Member Posts: 1
    Driving along today in my 2002 320. Suddenly I hear wind noise, look back and see back window on drivers side has opened by itself. Did I hit the button by mistake? Put window up, and a few seconds later, it goes down again. Haunted?
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    It is very common, elbows is the main culprit.
  • jpbocinajpbocina Member Posts: 1
    Is traction control the same or similar to four wheel drive? Is the '00 ML320 going to provide me with adequate winter weather drivability/safety? And what about ESP? I'm confused! Thanks!
    Anyone here using 87 or 89 in their MLs? My friend's 99 has 120,000 miles and has used nothing but 87. Am i throwing away $.40/gallon by buying 93?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Trout and Thor, I recently had the auto-touch feature not work correctly on my ML. To reset this feature, you hold down the button for 10/15 seconds. When I would use the auto up on my two front windows, they would close then come down about two inches. So, I just held the buttons in the up position for about 10-15 seconds and the problem was curred. Seems like I read that fix in the manual or something. I have 7,100 miles on my 2002 ML500 and I'm really enjoying it. The air condition works 100% better than my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The rear vents are real plus!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • orlandorland Member Posts: 9
    The text below has been copied from Harold Pietschmann's Web Site. Harold is an expert on 4-wheel drive vehicles and conducts off-road driving classes and tours. Since we cannot post other web sites here, please e-mail me at oec@pacbell.net and I will send you the link to Harold's superb site. Many individuals who live in the northern US and Canada believe that the ML is one of the best vehicles available for winter driving. One of the main reasons I purchased the ML is for driving to the ski areas in Lake Tahoe.

Harold's text:

In the Mercedes-Benz M-Class vehicles all differentials are "open", meaning no limited slip or diff lock is installed - saves money, saves weight. Plus: No negative effects on the steering. The ABS sensors of the M-Class detect locking wheels as well as spinning wheels.

If the right rear wheels loses traction (remember this means less resistance for the diff), the rear differential sends more torque and eventually all torque to that wheel. The other wheel does not get any torque at all anymore. AFTER losing traction and spinning about 3mph faster than the opposing wheel the brake of the right rear wheel is activated - slowing it down to the speed of the other wheel. This braking action creates the SAME resistance as the traction at the other wheel.

In a way the rear differential is fooled to think both wheels have the same traction and now it will send an equal amount of torque to each wheel, rather than sending all torque to the spinning wheel.

The wheel with traction will receive 50% of rear axle torque (25% of torque send from engine) and will transform it into moving action. The wheel with no traction, slowed down by the brake, receives the other 50% of rear axle torque which is transformed into heat.

Since the center differential (not visible like the axle diffs, it sits between the two driveshafts inside the transfer case) is also open (no locks, no limited slip, no viscous coupling), the front axle will not receive any torque from the moment the right rear wheel loses traction, because the center diff "thinks": "Less resistance in rear - So I'll send more or all torque to the rear"

This means, the ML320 acts like a full time 4WD with an unlocked center diff for a split second until 4ETS steps in and keeps the vehicle moving.

If two wheels lose traction 4ETS slows down those two spinning wheels. After the 4ETS action both diffs are fooled to think traction is equal on all four wheels, so they will send 25% of the available torque to each wheel. Transformed into moving action on the wheels with traction (resistance by ground friction / traction) - transformed into heat on the wheels with brake initiated resistance.

If three wheels lose traction, 4ETS will order three brakes to create resistance (brake friction) to fool the differentials.

The wheel with traction will receive its equal share of torque: 25%.

The other three wheels will receive their fair part as well: 25% each.
    You mean this link?

(Posting links is ok, unless you are soliciting for your own company or promoting competing forums. Posting copyrighted information is a no-no. Posting your email address will likely result in your getting spammed).

Steve
    Host
  • qtopcatqtopcat Member Posts: 1
    This is a plug and play operation. (except fro 2002s' which require some dealer programming)

You pull the MCS from the dash, drop in the NAV module, connect prewired Sat antenna, re-insert NAV. On 2000, you need to install antenna on roof, on 2001, you need to add a splitter under passenger seat. That is all there is to it.

Usually used NAV's and Map CDs can be found on Ebay (under Ebay motors) Search on Navigation, NAV or Mercedes. This is a great add-on to a ML320 that did not originally have the NAV installed.
  • jcaexecjcaexec Member Posts: 2
    Should I buy the ML 430? Is it going to be a maintenance horror story? ML is silver with black leather interior. CD changer, BOSE sound, heated seats, NAV system. 21,000 miles asking price $38,000. What do you guys think?