Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    Self-inflicted embarrassments of analysis and a dearth of any meaningful information--nothing distinguishing about these few repetitive and discordant personal opinions. Just a discordant few among thousands of satisfied MB owners; disgruntled malcontents who thrill in demonstrating their pitiful need to maintain dubious credentials as the holder of an intelligent opinion. Just a stagnant love affair with the swamp of their stagnant personal and irrelevant musings. Every car maker gets these kinds of posts. Big deal.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Hey guys, back of Schremp. Under his leadership there has been some decent new products. Look at Chrysler and Dodge. :-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Tiger2doll hit the nail on the head.

"Still, consumers' perception of declining quality over time is chiseling away at Mercedes' stellar reputation."

Mercedes' Head-on Collision with a Quality Survey (Business Week)

It'll be a few more months before the next JD Power survey comes out. Hopefully MB will start heading back up the chart.

Steve, Host
  • chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    I had the distinct pleasure of working for nearly 20 years in a highly regarded computer design and manufacturing business. The company easily attracted top talent from top schools. The company was so good that it did little marketing
    of itself or its products - hot products and hot
    support brought the company to over $10B in annual
    sales. We made stupid mistakes every day but had
    the brains to recover, and learn from the mistakes. As time went on the mistakes came faster and we lost the ability to recover. What once was a mistake that was exposed to one customer, became exposed to many customers. The company is gone now, with the good parts being
    acquired by other businesses.

M-B may be facing the same latter-day issues. Making mistakes that are clearly evident to the
    marketplace. Something changed in the corporate
    attitude that allowed the continuation of production on vehicles that had known problems
    that are visible to the customer. That same attitude ripples down to the local dealerships and local service advisors. My advisor is a likeable person but isn't service-orientated; I ask questions several times before I get a decent response, I get crappy loaner cars, I pick up
    a dirty car, and there is never an apology. When I take our Lexus in, it's a whole other world, even though both dealerships are owned by the same family.
    What's wrong at M-B? Start with fixing the attitude and most other things will fall into place.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I changed my airfilter and noticed a round electronic piece bwtween the filter and the connection hose? if this is it, can i replace the "mass airflow meter" myself?? it's causing the check engine lite to come on. if i can do it myself and buy the part online i can save myself $120 (local service dealer quoted $320 to fix it)

excuse me but i'm not "bashing" MB,... as far as smarts, i must have some to keep my MB buying job, i bought MB to last me 10 years as other long time MB people said (especially the diesel owners). MB let me down, and i can afford anything and i can also afford NOT to buy MB. I hate to see such a great vehicle and company (potential) slide away. Do you think i bought MB to bash it?, i had faith in their history of quality, safety and service and am lost to MB"s future because it let me down (and by jd powers many others). I wanted to have a great MB product, proud to drive one, a great experience, but MB is slipping, and why is that.....sorry for the opinion and passion. next time anyone asks for "an opinion" on the ownership experience i'll just paste in the business week article and say "no"
  • adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    Our 02 ML-320 has now been in the shop for 61 straight days (it arrived the week before Thanksgiving) for accelerator hesitation and a transmission that downshifts at will. This is the third time for the two problems...the first time was a week and the second time two weeks.

Our dealer has said MB folks from both Houston and San Fran have been to fix...but here we sit.

Have contacted (in writing) MBUSA both the second and third time...all we have gotten back is a form letter.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to deal with MBUSA? We did sent a Texas Lemon Law notice back when it went in November...and another last week.
  • joeindenverjoeindenver Member Posts: 31
    It seems I stumbled on a way to make my ML un/lock from more 20 yards away - as opposed to the more typical 8 feet. Rather than trying to press the remote in one's pocket or in your hand by your side, simply raise it over your head and it works much better! Must be a line of sight thing or something, but it sure does help...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The rest of us point the fob at our chin; it's getting to be a pretty well known technique around here!

Steve, Host
  • tiger2dolltiger2doll Member Posts: 39
    Hi,

I have a 2002 ML500 with Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires. Is there a certain way to install the tires - is there a direction of rotation which needs to be taken into account when installing the tire on the wheel ? I noticed that there is a small (D> arrow symbol before the DUNLOP on the sidewall - should the tire be installed such that the forward motion of the vehicle is in the direction of this symbol arrow ? The 2 right tires on my ML are setup this way but the 2 on the left are such that when the care goes forward the arrow points reverse ? Are my 2 left tires installed incorrectly ?

Regards,
    Rahul
    They're not directional. To rotate, you're supposed to move the rears directly ahead to the front, and cross the fronts to the rear.
  • hockeymom5hockeymom5 Member Posts: 22
    Hi, especially to Tigerdoll2. Sounds like we have the same dog for a car.

I drove an '01 Volvo XC wagon for 36,000 miles- too small an engine, no room for one's legs- not big enough for my enormously tall teenagers that got taller when I owned it. Switched to an '01 Sequoia for 55,000 miles- hard to keep on the road at speeds, really troublesome vision, tippy, too hard for me to drive all of those miles in- too much like the truck it was meant to be for me to keep it. But, it never, ever once had a problem, it ran like a top. I never had one thing to say to the service guy except "change the oil, please"- an amazing experience.

Switched to an ML 500, used, put 30,000 miles on it. It is a blast to drive, hugs the road, powers through snow. So far, the right headlight has been replaced three times, all new chassis and harness put in, and I was without a headlight off and on for five months while this went on. Then, the dome lights and door locks were possessed, making a nightmare out of a long nighttime drive, ending up with the thing honking and beeping away in my driveway late at night. Last week it was the engine coolant light, with all new radiator hoses and the oil pan leaking- an emergency on the way to work. I have only had the car since March, and this is some serious stuff.

This week, it will be a different car. I might just get a new Highlander, and be done with it. Not much fun to drive, but hey, it would work when need it to, like each and every day. What a mess Mercedes is. It's really too bad- it was fun to drive the thing when it worked right. I don't think that it is safe anymore because it is unreliable late at night far from home too often, or rushing to work, missing a headlight yet again when one is tired and driving in the rain. I, like you, go to work each day (a long drive), have kids and a spouse, dogs, and just cannot fit a routinely malfunctioning car into my life.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    MB's quality has gone down quite a bit in the past few years. If you are looking for a safe, reliable, and BIG SUV, the only one I would suggest is the Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX470. The only drawback is the price.
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    MAC320, I read your self-indulgent response to Tiger2doll's opinion about the quality (or glaring lack thereof) of the M class jalopies that MB has used as a pretext to swindle the hard-earned dollars of the poor buyers (I happen to be a very dissatisfied owner of a '99 ML320).

I wonder what precipitates your undying loyalty (feel free to infer pig-headedness) to a product that has clearly disappointed enmass. Perhaps, you're a feckle little servant of MB and therefore feel the need to vehemently attack people for voicing their opinions by spewing sarcasm and questioning their intellectual capabilities.

You miss a very key basic point. Every manufacturer has quality issues - its the magnitude and management's handling of issues that matters, particularly as it relates to a so-called luxury brand that charges a premium for engineering and quality.

But there again, Daddy probably equipped you with a car and you can drive on merrily. We will pray for you and hope that someday you see the light.

All the best!
    See! You’re a miserable, bitter little man. Some of your ilks own this group (e.g., “pretext to swindle the hard-earned dollars of the poor buyers”). You’ve made my point. And, “feckle” you say? Maybe you meant “feckless” (Oh, how I hate to rewrite dross gabble).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you guys want to exchange insults then take it to email and keep it off the boards. You've been warned.

tidester, host
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    I don't know where all the heat comes from. My wife has a 2002 ML & while I find it pretty dull, it certainly has been trouble-free. In 2 years it has never been to the shop except for routine service.
  • anibalbanibalb Member Posts: 193
    Hello all,

Gees there is a lot of unhappy ML owners here. I just wanted to add that I know 4 owners of 2001 ML 320's and they are all extremely happy with the cars. I guess there are extremes here. You either love them or hate them. Maybe the ones here are just lemons or at least very sour oranges....
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    As with any product, there will always be quality issues - I accept that. What matters is how the manufacturer responds to issues when they rise. On that score, I would give MB a big F. I can only base my opinions on experience.

My '99 ML320 consumes 1qt/1000 miles - which is about a quart/month. MB's response is that 1Qt/650 miles is within acceptable limits!!!

I leave the readers of this board to arrive at their own conclusions. I will confess, I was a huge fan of the ML, and recommended it to several friends - some are happy, some aren't - but I can't ever in good concience recommend any MB product ever again, based on this experience.
  • joeindenverjoeindenver Member Posts: 31
    I'm looking for some advice on the following items:

Winter wiper blades - going to Montana for a few weeks and I'm thinking that this might be a good idea : )

Winter tire package - I've been very happy with Blizzak products in the past on my other cars - Tire Rack has a set of tires - but on 16" rims, thoughts? Will call them eventually but wanted to know if anyone else was using this combination - or could suggest something else. The stock Dunlop 5000s, while fine in dry/wet conditions don't do too well on snow and ice - especially if going around a curve...
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    You might want to take a look at Mich. Cross Terrains. I have them on a 99 ML430, and they have been very satisfactory in fairly heavy snow, plus they wear well in year round use.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    I replaced the OEM Dunlops(garbage..slipped all over Michigan roads worse than a rear-drive sedan) with Michelin Cross-Terrains and it became a whole new SUV. I actually thought of the ML320 as an SUV rather than an upright rear-drive sedan with supposed 4wd and DSP. Go Michelin Cross and you'll wonder how you even drove with the OEM Dunlops.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    My wife's 2002 ML320 has been a trouble-free vehicle until recently. Noticed the brake light coming on - indicating excessive wear on the brake pads.

Was I ever shocked to learn that in 29K miles, we needed front and rear pads replaced. Given the hilly stop & go driving conditions in Atlanta, I'm not terribly surprised.

I am surprised that the brake pads and labor for fr & rr (excluded from no-charge maintenance plan) ran $600+ (incl tax)!! I feel totally ripped off. Labor at $105/hr x 2 hrs + $320 for pads + extraneous fees for the garage (lube, etc.).

This seems outrageous, but interested in other experiences from this seasoned board. I have a call into the Service Mgr to discuss (not avail when we picked up the car yesterday).

Would love to engage him with some ammunition based upon other experiences. I'll take the car to another Dealer if I have to...

Comments are welcome!
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Hate to tell you but at dealers price those figures are within norm, not just for Mercedes but is average for premium brands for an area like Atlanta.

The ML will make you forget that you are tossing around a 5,000lbs vehicle, hard braking will chew pads quickly especially in big cities like Atlanta where one cant afford to go easy at leisure, lots of hard braking suddenly many times at high speed down to crawl.

Next time you can shop around for the pads and find an independent shop and save some money, just remember the OEM rear pads have a built in wire sensor, the vehicle uses that to indicate when the pads are getting thin. Some Benz organizations online offer excellent aftermarket pads and parts.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    thor8 has got it right. We're now driving 5K lb SUVs around with double the power of cars of ten years ago and brakes are one of the weak links.

$600 is about normal for a both axle brake job at the dealer. A good indepedent shop will be about 2/3rds this.

BTW, in all probability, you didn't need both front/rear done. There is a wear sensor on one of the front wheels and one of the back and the light will go on if either makes contact. Typically, the fronts wear the most, so it is likely your rears might have only been 1/2 or 2/3rds as worn as the fronts.

Further, I've discovered that the Mercedes wear sensors are incredibly conservative. On my 2000 ML, the front sensor went off at 28K and I had the fronts replaced. The rear sensor went off at 38K and I had them replaced. The light came on again at 55K, and I decided to change the front pads myself. Low and behold, when I inspected the pads, there were about 60% worn with easily another 10K miles or more before hitting the wear limits. I've been driving and monitoring them for the last 5K and they're still well within limits.

If you just take it to the dealer when the light goes on, you could be throwing away near half your brake life. And I suspect the dealer is just doing the rears for good measure, when they easily might go another 25K. Between these two factors, more than half your brake life probably went out in the dealer's trash bin.

- Mark
    Thanks for the insight! I certainly realize that pad longevity is in question with these heavy vehicles. I specifically asked for the wear percentages on front and rear and they indicated that we were down to 0% and 10% (F/R) remaining.

No way to doubt them... just seems that $600+ is high for the job. Regardless, my wife and I enjoy this vehicle and it has proven to be very reliable and versatile. Love the solid feeling on the road - she feels safe in Atlanta traffic.

One interesting note, My 2003 BMW 530 SP maintenance program will cover brake pads. Will come in handy based on the "spirited" manner in which I drive it ;-)
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    My 02 ML320 needed pads around 30k then again at 38,000. It needed them all around and rotor too. I questioned how I needed pads in 8,000 miles. They 're-examined' the fronts and said I don't need those. The estimate went from $1000 to around $200. Big change knocking off front pads and rotors. $1000 every 8000 miles, to me, is more than excessive. And no sensors came on, ever. This doesn't mention the fact that I've had quite a few warranty claims including leaking oil, leaking coolant, among other things. Thankfully, I traded the vehicle.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    My suggestion is to get the pads from on-line stores. Got both front and rear for a total of around $150 (on sale). Both were MB factory pads. Took the ML to a very experienced local shop and the labor was $60 x 2 (front and rear).
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I wanted to add my 99, 430ML has over 60,000 miles on it and never had a brake job yet and still a good bit of pads left, I attribute this to two factors, lots of HWY miles and a life time habit of anticipating braking at all situations.

I would also add that the proper description for the ML would be several bugs rather than unreliable, but since new I never had an issue, I know of many who never had any and then I read here of several owner complaining, it is my understanding once the initial ML issues are resolved the vehicle goes on problem free.

From my personal use I would not trade my ML for any other SUV other than a Touareg V10 diesel since I use my ML a lot for towing, mostly a pair of jet skies (about 3,500lbs) or a 5,500lbs 24ft fishing boat on tandem axles, many times on steep and slippery boat landings or deep sand conditions at the beach, the low range is a plus from heaven when you really need to strain a load out of a hole or a hump. Both as medium size SUV’s are rated at 7,500lbs and I for sure don’t want large SUV or truck.
    85% left on our first "A" service about a month ago (i.e., about 12K mi.); and, two rear pad jobs and one front pad job on our '00 ML430--it never did need new rotors during the 78K miles we drove it before trading it in.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I have a 2002 ML500 and had the rear brakes replaced at 18,000 miles and the fronts currently have 30% left at 27,500 miles. The light didn't come on for the rears but the dealer said that I only had 10% left. Since I was getting ready to go out of town and on a 4,000 mile trip, I didn't want to worry about brakes. I think the bill was around $250.

Michml320.... my OEM tires have been great. They currently look barely worn at 27K. When I was driving across country when the ML was new, I ran into a heavy snowstorm in Oklahoma. My ML was as sure-footed as a tiger! I was absolutely amazed at the handling and "NON" slippage. Other cars/trucks were off on the side of the interstate while I was just trucking along.

If the Michelin cross tires are better than my Dunlops, then I must be able to climb up a side of a building! LOL! My OEM's have been great.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • hockeymom5hockeymom5 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks, Kiiwii for the suggestions on a new car- those were too pricey for me to get into as I am taking a bath on the Mercedes- cannot get any kind of trade on it because too many are being sold. I purchased an '04 Acura MDX yesterday and will take possession this week. I owned the used '02 ML 500 less than one year.

As I filled my tank up this morning and drove away from the gas station (more than $30 in the tank), the gauge read about a quarter full! How am I supposed to know when I am running out of gas? Last week, when my coffee cup holder broke off for the second time, the part said "Made in Mexico."

I loved driving the ML, but there were too many trips to the repair shop for my schedule to accommodate. I didn't have too much wrong, mostly little things, but for this kind of expenditure, more than one trip a year is too many.

So, good luck to you guys left on this board. The Acura isn't quite the vehicle the Mercedes is, but it might be a whole lot less hassle.

The ML has one of the finest engines out there, is a magnificently engineered and designed vehicle. It is like driving a rocket ship. The engine will go forever- the fundamental construction is awesome, and I felt like I would be safe if I wrecked it. But, MB outsourced the construction too much without regard to QC. Unfortunately, its quality on the minor stuff is very poor, so I won't be bothered with Mercedes ever again. I will never buy a GM any more, and now Mercedes is off my list forever, too. Hockeymom
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Just a quick question for you Hockeymom, why wouldn't you buy a GM again?

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • afifafif Member Posts: 10
    I have a '01 ML320 in which I would like to install a roof mounted entertainment unit (LCD screen that flips down). I was told that this may be an issue because of the moonroof. Has anyone had any experience trying to do this?
  • diesel11diesel11 Member Posts: 21
    Gardencar, here are my thoughts on the ML350:

1. Towing is definitely superior to the RX330. You can tow with the Lexus, but not as much as the 5000lb the ML350 can. I personally don't use our Mercedes to tow at all, but maybe others on the M-class board could give their experiences.

2. With respect to reliabilty, we have never had a problem, but we did worry about this issue when we bought the vehicle. The reason we went with the Merc over the RX330 was that the reliability of the 2003 had improved significantly in CR. Also, the 350 is 6-7 yrs into the model cycle, which is enough time for Mercedes to figure out the bugs. The vehicle als comes with satellite standard, which has a mechanic function. Mercedes will come to help you out if there ever was a breakdown. Lastly, we have an outstanding Mercedes dealership and sales rep, who when we bought the vehicle included his personal cell-phone# should any problem arise. (this is not a sales pitch, he has honored this for others we know).

3. Concerning the purchase of a used one with 40,000 miles, this is a tough one. I know my dealership has used ones from 2000-01 with this mileage. If you were to do this, I would stronly suggest a Starmark warranty.

Overall, I love the ml350. My wife is the primary driver, but on trips I drive it a lot. Very safe, satellite, great off-road, yet excellent on-road. Extremely comfortable seats on long trips.

Fred
  • gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Thank you very much for taking time out to anwer my questions. I hope you continue to enjoy your ML350. You are probably right about the 7 year cycle. We will consider the ML350 when we are ready to get rid of our Explorer.
  • ottersden2ottersden2 Member Posts: 3
    Hit 28K miles on my ML320 and the brake sensor is lit- and beeping. Very entertaining….
    Dealer quoted the usual- Front brakes and rotors $330 in parts and $270 in labor to install.
    I've seen a couple of the postings- and I've gone researching on the web for a better deal on the parts.

How do I determine what the chassis number is?
    Which are the OEM brake pads- there seems to be a couple of choices out there.
    Plus- we need the rotors. Do we also need to buy the sensor? What parts do we really need to purchase?
    Lastly- what goes into the brake job? Do we have to remove the hub to get the rotors off? Should this be much different from a regular brake job? Just curious.
    Please let me know if anyone has any insight. Just can't stand to give the dealer so much to pad their pockets.
  • will1will1 Member Posts: 2
    Any thoughts on what it means if I smell gas on the dipstick in an ML430 with 120,000 (highway) miles? Also sometimes smell gas faintly inside the car after starting it cold. Otherwise nothing seems wrong; oil changed w/ Mobil 1 every 5k miles; spark plugs were changed as per schedule at 100k. Recent fuel pump replacement. Will getting the error codes scanned tell me anything?
    My wife's 2002 ML320 just had a brake job performed at our dealer... was $620(incl tax) for parts and labor. Just under 28K miles. Only f/r pads - no rotors required replacement. You should ensure that you really need rotors. Also, our rear pads were about as worn as the fronts, so be sure to check them.

The sensors are required to activate the wear detector lights on the dash. Would only recommend an authorized MB technician to perform this task.
    While you certainly need the proper experience and tools, there is nothing particularly special about the MB brake wear sensor system, nor the brakes in general. As brake pad replacement goes, the ML is fairly straightforward.

- Mark
  • mmhmmh Member Posts: 9
    I am considering purchasing an ML 350. I am currently torn between the ML and the MDX. Has the reliability of the 2004 improved over the previous years? Thoughts/comments?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Even Consumer Reports rates the 2003 M-class as "average" in reliability. The 2004's should be as good if not better. Definitely an improvement on previous years.
    I think things have gotten a little better, but I don't think the ML is close to the MDX on reliability, which is top of the heap. Get the ML only if really prefer the MB AND you're willing to put up with an occasional glitch or two every year.

- Mark
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    It's 40K now and I have had so much replaced on this car that I either have a good one now or the stage is set for an on-going saga. I just got the car back from a warranty service and some major stuff got swapped out again. Things like; the driver's seat, several electronic control modules, both fog lights and all 4 wheels! This is an '01 Sport model with wheels that I rarely see around, but when they started to peal after about 2 years, I thought I should complain. To my surprise, they readily replaced all 4 (only the front ones were pealing). I can't help but think that when they called and said I needed REAR brake pads AND rotors, that maybe this car was so expensive for them that they had to 'hit' me for something. The sensors had not yet indicated a problem, but I shelled out the $600 anway, wondering if I would ever be back. The service guy curiously accompanied me to the clerk (to make sure I paid? Or perhaps to pull me back from attacking the clerk upon being given the bottom-line charge for a free warranty check-up?) Yeah, they tried to hit me for tires too and told me there were no other substitutes but the original make(?!) I know there are others, and so do you guys.

Should I trade it? Well, this car is worth as much as it's ever going to be, and I can't believe how little that is according to Kelly Blue Book! This would be easy to figure out if I didn't enjoy driving the ML. But I really do.

Another thing that bothers me was the fact that there were only TWO new MLs in the lot when I took it in for service. Both of them were a light powder blue color I'd never seen before. In the past there have always been many new MLs. This time the majority on the lot were used and most of them were '02s.
  • tiger2dolltiger2doll Member Posts: 39
    Hi All,

A quick update on my 2002 ML500 with 20K miles :

1) Got the FSS "B" Service done yesterday.

2) The Front & Rear Brake Pads and Rotors had to be replaced at a cost of $1350.00. The pads had 1-2 mm remaining and the Rorots had 2 mm remaining. The Service Adviser convinced me to change both the pads & rotors. I have a 18 mth old and expecting another one in a couple months - so wanted to have the brakes in tip top condition. I don't know if it was needed but it gives me peace of mind.

3) The Rear Cupholder had to be replaced 2nd time.

4) The Door Panel on the Front Right side door had become loose from the bottom. They had to replace all the clips holding the panel to the door.

5) The radio volume keeps going up & down randomly only when listening to FM stations. This happens once every week. Its fine when listening to CD's or Tape or AM radio. Dealer could not replicate the problem. They said that the Automatic Noise Cancelling feature (which makes the volume go up & down based on noise level) had been turned off during "A" service.

6) The estimate to add the 3rd row of seats was $5000.00 - has anyone got it added after the purchase ?

Take care and Happy Motoring !!

Rahul
    $1350 for a brake job at 20K. Wow.

While your desire to have good brakes is admirable, don't let it cloud your judgment and throw good money away. I'd be VERY skeptical that there was a need to replace all four sets of brakes and all four rotors at 20K. Especially the rotors - bad rotors at 20K would be grounds for replacement under warranty as they should last through at least two or three sets of pads.

On the 3rd row seats, it is typically cheaper to trade for a car with the seats already there than to add them.

- Mark
  • 04redtahoe04redtahoe Member Posts: 17
    My ML320 went through pads and rotors constatly in only 39k miles. At one point, they stated I needed pads after only 8k miles. I questioned it but OK'd it. They later stated they 'looked again' at the pads and they could go some more. I'm convinced that MB dealers scam on pads and rotors everytime you bring in the vehicle for warranty or scheduled maintenance. Get used to having them tell you that you need $1000 pad/rotor jobs pretty much every FSS. Mine had too many problems and I was sick of the brakes so I traded it.
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    I'm starting to see a trend. I did not expect to need brakes at 40K - never mind rear brakes & rotors. I've never had a car that needed rear brakes before 75K. But they claimed it is the traction control that makes the brakes work harder - OK, but they hit me for rotors too, and this with what must be the softest pads in the industry. Listening to others here I think I'll now buy the conspiracy theory.

They must be scamming us.

Radio volume - I have had 2 control units installed because of this auto volume up or down on FM. It just did it again the other day, out of the blue driving along, volume goes up to the top. Scares the heck out of you.
    There are a lot of factors working against the customer on ML brakes: heavy truck, soft pads, over-aggressive pad warning light, and pushy dealers wanting to do high-profit brake jobs prematurely.

At 49K, the dealership said I needed new front pads and rotors - $675 with all the extra fees and taxes. Warning light wasn't even on yet. I drove on. At 52K, the light came on, and I checked the pads - still had 30+% remaining. I drove on. Finally, at 60K, I replaced the pads, but left rotors alone as they looked very smooth and mic'd within spec. Brakes work great. The pads could have gone perhaps another 3K, but I would have been starting to risk scoring the rotors.

The pads cost me $75. It took a few hours, but man-oh-man, $75 is a lot less than $675.

- Mark
    My truck had done 53K miles when the dealer said that I needed new pads. The warning light hadn't yet come on. They said that it will be activated in the next 3K to 5K miles. I was planning on making a copule of long trips and didn't want to deal with th e light coming on during the trip so I went ahead and changed all four pads. Didn't have to touch the rotors. I could probably have gone 60K without changing.

I dont' understand why people have to change brakes at 20K. Obviously the 4ETS does play a part as it uses the brakes to prevent wheels from slipping, but even then....
    Does anyone know who makes the Mercedes Shop (Service) Manual?