Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I apologize if this topic has been covered already, if so, please direct me.

I'm in the market for a luxury SUV, have looked at the Lexus RX300. I know I can get it for around $36k (AWD, Premium Plus package). Folks around Town Hall said I should also consider the MB.

I guess my question is, can one get an MB similary equipped for about the same money? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree...

All insights appreciated,
    TC
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    John/Kenyee/Anyone, what are some of the symptoms before the fuel pump died? I heard many of you had the unit replaced because it fails ... I too have a 99ML (beside, the windshield fluid container cracked on me) I'm virtually free of any problems with it. Since my Schedule B is coming up in 2 months.. if the fuel pump is unpredictable or without any symptoms before it fails, Can I just ask the service department to replace it anyway?
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Was browsing ebay and saw a spare CLK-GTR for sale... check it out=>

Wonder what it will sell for or if it will sell. There are only a few more hours before aution ends! No bids yet!!!

Frank

Cut and paste:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=532218234&r=0&t=0
  • gncgnc Member Posts: 27
    I am interested in receiving more information regarding the discounted extended warranty that several people have mentioned. Thanks!
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    tonychrys: Tony, Before I bought my ML320 I was on the wait list for a RX300 myself. Thank god I listened to others and did more shopping. I didn't consider the ML at first because of the bad CR reviews it had gotten. After reading this forum and discussing with several of the folks I found out that most of the problems were in the 98/99 MY vehicles and many improvements were made in the 2000 MY. I also did a compare on one of the inter net car places (Carorder.com I think) and compared the two vehicles. For 2000 the ML had Traction control, anti skid control, low range transfer case and a number of other standard features that were not even available on the RX for any price. Wanting a safe vehicle I next went to the Gov't and independent sites that do crash test, the ML Mercedes was/is rated number 1.

After taking all this into consideration and knowing the Lexus dealer wanted to add $1,500 to the MSRP., because of tight supply, I opted to deal for a ML and it ended up almost the same price (+1-2K). Not sure if you drove both yet but I felt the RX was a little unstable at highway speeds when you did a quick lane change and in cross winds, the ML felt a lot more stable, even my wife could feel the difference.

Now what you can deal for in your area may differ, but take the price quotes in from the on-line dealers and that is usually a good starting point.

I now have 7K miles on my 2000 ML320 and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Bottom line, it's your dollors and choice. Lexus has made some changes to the 2001 RX, but it's traction control still will not compare to the ML and if your tow anything the ML has body on frame construction and will tow 5,000 lbs Vs only 3,000 lbs for the RX, which is unibody construction. It's more of a passenger car construction then the ML is.

Whatever you decide enjoy.
    Really appreciate the input, thanks.

Just to answer a few points, towing is not important for us, so the capacity of most SUVs will suffice. Since you bought, the tables have turn and now it's the Lexus dealers having to knock $$$ of MSRP because of the MDX onslaught. Couple that with the Highlander coming out in a couple of weeks (what the hell was Toyota thinking? Talk about butchering your own market).

So really my big question is whether I can get an ML320 in the $36k range? I'm trying to do as much homework on my own, just wanted to hear some real world experiences.

We haven't drove an ML320 yet, but I don't want to waste the dealer's time if it's not in our price range we're looking for.

Thanks again for the input!

TC
    It all depends on the local dealers and if you are willing to do some internet shopping to find dealers who will deal. There is always a better time to buy and unfortunately this is not it at the very moment. The 2000 models just had some major discounts to clear them out... getting a fully equipped ML320 was very doable in the $36K range. Now that the stock of 2000 has been depleted it is now the 2001's the dealers are selling. MB offers no incentives at this time to clear out the 2001's because they are in the early sales year. If you can wait until July/August you would be able to pick up a much better value... End of years production and there will be some changes to the ML in 2002 that will also make sweet deals possible at the end of the year.

Anyway, the real way to answer your question is to configure the ML320 using the MBUSA build your own Mercedes feature and see what the retail price is. If you add all the available features to an ML320 the dealers cost (invoice) will be over $36K - somewhere between $38-$40K depending on if you get Skyview roof and all the option packages (less the Sport package that would certainly bring Invoice into the $40K's. So, if this is invoice you will have to pay more so dealer can make some profit. However, if you choose a base ML (once again, configure it yourself and determine what you can live with/out) you could get close to your target.

Try to give the dealer $1000 profit (over invoice) and see where it brings you... you need to be a good dealer yourself or shop the internet to see if dealers will compete for your business and lower their profit. If you find yourself way over.. meaning you could not live with a base ML320 then your out of luck for the moment and won't get the vehicle for $36Kish. If you wait for the end of year you will be able to buy at invoice or even below depending on MB end or year dealer insentive...MB has given $2-3K back to dealers at the end of year to clear for the new models in the past. So you might even get an ML UNDER invoice if you can wait and take the chance...

Good Luck!
  • drmhfdrmhf Member Posts: 29
    If anyone could tell me what they paid for a new ML320 it would be appreciated. Thanks
    I should have mentioned the Edmunds' price/option configuration page:

http://www.edmunds.com/newtrucks/2001/mercedesbenz/mclass/ml320.html

Start here and check the appropriate options you must have then click the configure button... this will take you to a work sheet for the ML and you can print this out...

If you could spend closer to $38K you could find a good deal on a nicely appointed ML...

Share with us what region you live in and we'll try to help guide you to a dealer who "deals."

Hopefully others who have recently purchased will share their pricing... but remember each deal is different and if you know how to deal and can take the shopping effort you will be rewarded... some people can do this others can't or won't... think you would be very happy with the ML so it is worth a try IMHO...

Take care - Frank

In addition to trying and help you guys I'm also trying to keep the ML forum in the "Top 10".... we are really slipping this week down to 10..almost fell off... where are you ALIGN (Drew!!) This is no time for VACATION!! GET TO WORK : )
    Yea, I priced it out already... without any incentives, it looks hard to get it down to where the RX300 would be. I gotta deal with the wrath of the wife on this one.

BTW, I live on Long Island, New York.

Thanks again.

TC
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I'm afraid you're not going to get a "loaded" 2001 ML320 for $36k.

As you've seen, an ML320 with M1 luxury and M2 convenience packages, the Bose audio system with the CD changer, sunroof, and heated seats MSRP's for $41,985, invoices for $39,092.

These prices don't include the M7 third-row seat option, or Xenon HID headlamps (you have to buy a very expensive sport package, adding over $4k to the MSRP). Metallic paint is another $485 MSRP.

Frankly, in absence of any MB discounts, I'd be surprised if you can get anything much lower than $40k for the above, unless you delete some of the options like the Bose. But not $36k.

It's the monthly/quarterly variations of the market. MB can price the ML320 at a premium and still sell well, and for many people, it's a much different vehicle than the RX. Right now Lexus is overproducing the RX300, cannibalizing itself with Sequoia's on the big, high end, Highlanders on the lower end, and facing increased competition like the MDX.

A couple of months ago you couldn't buy an RX that was very loaded for below $40k. Now you can get it down much, much lower than that. Lexus dealers can afford to do it because the RX has a ridiculously large spread between invoice and MSRP. Lexus throwing in discounts helps even more. MB dealers only have a $3k spread without factory incentives, and it's not like their holdbacks give them more than Lexus.

Always fascinating how the market turns. Right now the Lexus is the bargain priced vehicle. If you find that the RX meets your needs fine, you're in a good position. You'll buy a 2001 that has more key features (e.g. stability control, available HID's) than the 2000 model, yet you'll be paying less than end-of-year "discounts" on 2000's a few months ago!
    Your assesments are dead on. You pretty much confirm what I've researched.

Both vehicles are great. Both vehicles have done well on crash tests. Both vehicles have good resale.

But riddle me this Batman: why don't these things have rear glass that opens separate from the hatch!!!!

;-)
  • nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    I did get my with M1,M2,heated seats,Desert silver,Bose,sunroof for $40900 w/o tax.With tax and licen.plate,dest.charge $44060. I live in CHICAGO sub. Marcel
    And I had to wait 6 days to get it. Marcel
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    As discussed on the MDX forum, neither the MDX, M-class, or RX300 have it. I still think part of it is structural (improving the solidity of the roof in rollover, though the RX rollover pics recently posted here don't seem to show much of it). The rest of the reasons include cost-cutting, plus the increased propensity for squeaks and rattles of that arrangement.

The plus side of a lift-up gate is that there's no tailgate that gets in the way of the cargo area. The downside is when you need to carry long materials.
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Last month I traded my 98ML320 on a new leftover OOML430 that listed for $46540. The dealer also activated and installed the aux. inlens driving lights (worth $50/$60). Sold vehicle to me for $41500.00 and gave me NADA trade-in on my 98 w/ 40K needing tires and brakes. I also got an additional $700.00 contribution toward the trade-in from M/B. This was garnered by having my service writer call MB and complain about the various rattles and problems with my 98.
    Thus, I got approx. $5800.00 off. Although I gave up Tele-Aide, (I have it on my other car and have never used it)it cost less than a similiarly equiped 01 ML320 without the added features of the ML430, navagation, 17" tires and of course the V-8. I thought it was too good of a deal to pass up. I am very pleased with all the updates, especially the interior, now more mercedes-like, and of couse the scheduled maintenence. The only downside is the mileage.
    All I can say, if you can find a leftover 00ML320 somewhere, you should be able to get into your price range. Best of Luck.
  • mikestaleymikestaley Member Posts: 35
    In Maitland FL there are several 2000 ML 320's in the 38K M1, M2 Bose.

They would work with you.

Mike
  • cheapdannycheapdanny Member Posts: 12
    Stop by Silver Star Mercedes in Long Island City.... I got my 01 320 M1 Sunroof Bose with a $2000. off invoice. Roberto Garcia, was my sales rep.

Danny d:)
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    Here in the Boston area, Clair was willing to take off 2% of the MSRP on 2001 ML320s, and no discounts on ML430s. Foreign Motors West was willing to give a free lo-jack or $595 off any new MLs. This was one month ago.
  • buck45buck45 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any problems with the front door speakers in their ML? rattling excess vibration etc?
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    I have been hanging out over by the E class site of late, They are alittle slower over there, by that they are not doing 40-50posts per day.

But I was curious as if you ever resolved your service problem a few weeks back. I believe you have had a noise emmiting from your front end.

Oh I found your wallet under the seat! Ha ha.
  • djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    dt77,
    I can't find your post on this problem. Can you re-post?
    TIA
    David
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "FRIDAY FREEWAY"
    Car Chat
    Date: Every Friday
    Time: 5-6pmPT/8-9pmET

About This Chat
    This chat is an open chat with hosts and members with similar interests to meet, chat, play trivia and talk cars (or whatever you
    want to talk about!) This is YOUR chat...come join in!

Click here!
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/chat/freewaychat110300.html

We look forward to seeing you! I know that I'll be there :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

P.S. Frank, I wasn't on vacation ;-) Just busy...
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    It happened to ML320 2K but the dealer fixex it for free. It was happen when I have about 7K miles on it. What years is yours?
  • guy22guy22 Member Posts: 7
    I have been having problems with the MCS recently and have been getting different answers from the dealer. First he told me the dash unit was the problem and would order a new one. Before it came in he told me there is an electrical problem with all 2kML's with the Nav system and the factory is working on a fix. Doesn't do me any good since I have no idea when it will work again.

The unit will lose power when the car is shut down and will not come on line again.
    Have you heard anything like this or have you heard anything from your sources?
  • citykiddcitykidd Member Posts: 4
    Andrew,

Thanks for the response re: the power skyview top. I'm definitely looking into adding it (it will just mean custom ordering the car since most dealers don't seem to carry many ml320 w/skyviews on the lot).

Since you live in Europe you might be the perfect person to ask about the skyview top leaking during the rainy season. Any problems that you know about? Can you also tell me if the windnoise is unbearable on the freeways?

Thanks!
  • djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    Biker5,
    Mine is 430 00 model , and this noise is intermittent, starting from about 10K. Initially, the dealer thought it was brake-related but the noise came back even after they replaced the pads.
    It is annoying and sounds like fingernail scrarching the chalk board.
    David
  • sscookesscooke Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of my ML55 in August and the performance is awesome,
    having owned a RangeRover 4.6 as my prior vehicle there simply is no
    comparison. The only problem I've recently encountered has been with
    the windows jamming and refusing to close. The dealership, after no
    help in the sales dept., referred me to service who said just at my
    dealership only there were another 6 ML55's with the same problem and
    this is a known defect with the switch.

Given that I live in NJ and the temperature has recently been in the
    single digits I wasn't amused, have driven 10 miles with the window
    jammed down to find that a recall hadn't been issued!

Any other 55 owners had the same problem?

Tim
  • bon2000bon2000 Member Posts: 26
    okay guys--the front bars and running boards that you guys show do look good but what am I do8ing wrong? What's the I and II difference and looking like the sports package????what does that mean. I still think the art front guard is the absolute sharpest around if it can be had....maybe I would rather have none...but not sure. What's all the hype about the ones looking like the sports package? Why what does that have?
    Remember I am the one who purchased the ml320 and wanted sports package and salesman told me it was not an option GRRRR now I suffer and now I hear 2002's (mine is an oi) will look like sports package on all of them. I am PISSED--AND YES I AM SHOUTING. I wrote Mercedes about this and can't wait to hear their replies. Please post a picture of all brush guars, fender flares, running boards etc on one sits so it is easier to compate without jumping all around. Also any pics of new 2002 yet? Compare on same page with 2001 with sports package as compared to ml55--pPlease.... I am furious my salesman was such a dope and knew nothing....cause neither did I. I bought truck for safety and perfect size for me and wonderful ride (but did inquire as to making it look soupier???) Now I am the one who will probably suffer on resale. GRRRRRR
  • kckwokkckwok Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to add the external rear tire carrier to my ML320. I have heard that it is only available in selected dealerships in the US or else I would need to get it in Canada. Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost (both in US and CAN?) And if it was brought in the US, where can I get one?

If possible, please give a breakdown of the involved costs (i.e. wheel, carrier, labor...e.t.c.)

Thank you!!
  • swimmomswimmom Member Posts: 23
    I am new to this forum and am about to embark upon a somwhat complex transaction and would appreciate any advice. I plan on trading a loaded 99ML with 19,000 miles and purchasing an 4matic wagon with E2 and leasing a new comparabley equipped ML. To make a very long story short, we need to lease one car for tax reasons. We own the current ML outright and plan on buying the wagon outright.

I live in Atlanta and purchased our current ML from a local dealer. Not enamoured of them but no serious complaints. Any recommendations on dealers who deal in the Southeast would be great. Should I expect a decent trade for the current ML (its in good shape)? Because we are buying two cars is it better to try and negotiate everything as a package or do it one at a time? Has anyone got any experience with leasing an ML ?
    Thanks
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    bon2000:
    I just got a copy of the M-Class Accessories Collection catalog. You can see pics of the Type I and Type II brushguards, and also pics of the side runners that came w/ the M4 pkg (they added steps to these runners compared to the M4 pkg ones). I'm checking into pricing of the Type II brushguard + skidplate; install is supposed to be $$$. :-P
    Go to www.mbusa.com and fill out a request for it. You'll get it in the mail in a few weeks and it will answer most of your questions on what things look like.
    No info on the 2002 facelift yet.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    The rear tire carrier is ONLY avaiable in Canada. It looks a bit goofy as I would prefer the one like on the G-Class.

You HAVE to go to Canada to get it, and even then I believe it costs around $3500 with the tire, rim, carrier and different rear suspension (to compensate for the added weight. This doesn't include installation. Although if one were to get it I dont believe that installing it would be that difficult (It would be like the trailer hitch); the suspension adjustment is another story.

One BIG negative is that it makes it even harder to see out of the back of the ML. The middle seat headrest does this to (I removed mine) , but much worse.

BTW No dealer will install it because it isnt something that is allowed in the US, plus MB wont allow it.

Robert
  • scott902scott902 Member Posts: 46
    I was in a coworkers, jeep 97 and it had two spearkers mounted on the rear interior roof,it sounded good, but unable to hold a conversation from the rear passengers to the front. Was thinking of installing on my ML.

Any comments
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    got the AMG grill looking for $12.95 =) i did it this morning. took about an hour.

here are the "transformation" photos...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1440183&a=10802450
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Looks good! I did something like that when I first got my ML. However, watch out for the top bar on the grill, and the 2nd (middle) bar to a lesser extent. Both can get pretty hot from the engine, and the problem I had was that the heat was making the adhesive break up. A couple of small sections of the grill started popping up every 2-3 months. After re-doing the stripes twice, I gave up and bought the real grill :-) I think my mistake was that I used aluminum body tape and that adhesive backing didn't work too well (our sorry autoparts place - Canadian Tire - didn't have anything else). Your pinstriping tape may be better.

P.S. We need a cat as one of the tools? ;-)
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    you are absolutely right. one of the stripes popped up a little bit as soon as i placed the grill back, the section where i had to bend inward. the tapes weren't thick enough. i'll fix that by taping more at the bent area tomorrow morning. will update you guys how it works out.
    Do anybody know anything about remote starter for ML class ? Thanx for help. MARCEL
  • dk14dk14 Member Posts: 1
    98 ML320

I experience wind noise when my moon roof is closed. The noise is eliminated by applying upward pressure on the glass. Has anyone with a similar problem been able to improve the seal?

Also, what is the best brand, in terms of quality and price for new all season tires? 255/65/16. I do not take me vehicle off road.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    reported to dealer and he said it's a common problem and there is a fix for it. replacing fuel filter. he was vague about it, but something to do with pressure build up. replaced under warranty. I think a week or two later, something happened which made me believe that while they were fixing this whine, something was not attached correctly. something to do with fuel line cub one day ML couldn't start and fuel spilled from tank area. senior etch at my dealer confirmed if it' attached correctly, it would NOT come loose.

When I return to LA, I will get a print out of all work done on my ml, do a little investigating and maybe ill bring the issue up to the proper people. I believe the technicians were negligent.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
    i'm looking into installing this ... comments ?
    http://www.xenonhid.com

what i don't like about is the fact that there is no autoleveling, and i would retain the original headlamp assembly (patterned). They claim to be beam corrected and for more than half the price of the FULL retrofit, I might just do it. Rob, how much again ? like $1300 ? hey, i'm just a student that would have to pay for this outta his own pocket money so =)

distributor for this philips made HID is in LA so, i might check it out...

dt77
    00 ml430
    some people of compared the whine to fingernail stratching chalkboard ? um, mine wasn't that bad ... =)
    i dunno, haven't closely looked at my neighbor's, but how does the trunk open? it looks like it's attached to the bottom of the ML's frame and comes around the bumper and upwards towards the rear windshield.

doesn't look like the trunk is easly opened ...?

dt77
    www.xenonhid.com

I don't seem to able to pass the FAQ and info page. The web page is wacked??!! How much do they want it for? The whole conversion kit doesn't seem to be able house entirely inside my ML headlamp assembly... if you have ever change a bulb, you realized that there is no much room to for any other things especially if you want to put the "cover" back....
    done a bit searching... they're selling these kit everywhere... and everyone is copying everyone's else claims, chart, FAQ and even the converted 430ML pics

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/start.htm

http://www.jbcsafety.com/HID/hid.html

http://www.xenonshop.com

Does anyone of you know do any of these vendors has a specific kit for ML, one that would allow u to put back the "back cover" for the headlight assembly?
    btw, who makes the HID xenon 'bulb' for the MB cars ? the xenon headlamp assembly is made by HELLA ya ?

dt77
    ya, i also saw xenonshop.com selling them too. so far, jbc has the cheapest and they are beam corrected. if i'm not wrong, xenonshop charges more to have it 'corrected' -- watever that means ~! I'll definately hold off and see how the installation goes and stuff, emailed with a guy from jbc and he said he's 'done' more that like 30 conversions ..something like that and even offered to let me check out HIS ML which has it ... might take him up on the offer since he's in LA too ...

from the looks of the pics @ xenonshop.com, it looks like putting the cover back may be a problem ...

jbc lists $599 and xenonshop lists $590.

dt77
    dt77
    sorry, xenonshop sells them for like $620.
    SPP sells them for 590.

dt77
  • markml55markml55 Member Posts: 6
    I don't think they have the leveling motor in them
    and they don't appear to have the built in fog lamp toward the inner canthus. Does anyone know if
    they do have these components ?