Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    I did a 3 car deal with Carriage House (down by the airport). It worked out OK. My overall impression is they are a little more willing to negotiate than the other 2 major dealers in town.
    All other things being equal, you should have more negotiating leverage acquiring 2 cars than 1. Throwing in the lease is going to make it a bit complex, though. With a trade and a lease there are a lot of hidden ways they can make money from you. You should get a competitive bid on the lease from a financial institution.
    If it were me, I would simplify things by selling the ML myself, price it as a win-win situation to move it fast. Not everyone is comfortable doing this, though.
    At a minimum, make the 3 car deal a competitive situation between a couple of dealers.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    How does the tailgate open? Simple...just like normal, but with a couple of added steps. BTW, this is a Canadian ML430.

Notice that the spare tire is a lot higher than the rear bumper. This helps to prevent the spare tire from pushing into the tailgate (breaking the glass) and causing significant damage - as with most other SUVs with rear mounted spare tires - in a rear-end collision with a car. Of course, the ML's car height/compatible bumper helps too. This higher up position helps to keep the glare down from other light truck headlamps behind. The disadvantage, of course, is the significant reduction in rearward visibility. A car behind you (especially those slammed Civics ) can literally get lost behind it. I suppose a reverse warning system (the Bosch Parkpilot won't fit though) plus a Fresnel lens would help with parking. The ultimate would be a rear mounted camera, similar to what many Japanese ML owners have.
    Yes, it has the auto leveling, but not the integrated foglamps (hence the foglamps in the front bumper).
  • swimmomswimmom Member Posts: 23
    Thanks Fred for the info. I was planning to swing this deal by all three dealers and see who came up best. I like the idea of trying to sell the car myself initially. An add in the paper doesn't cost much. Was there a particular sales person at Carriage House you delt with who was helpful? I have small children and would like to do a fair amount of this by phone and a contact name would help. Do you service your cars at Carriage House? We live in town and none of the dealers are particularly convenient. Thanks much for the info
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    Anywhere in Northern Hemisphere sells them for ML?
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    drew, yeah, saw some pics very nice.

dt77
  • andrewdejongandrewdejong Member Posts: 2
    Citykidd,

We never noticed one drop of water inside the
    cabin after rain or snow or cleaning ( and I use
    a lot of water !! ). The wind noise is a little bit
    louder then inside an other ML without the option. Most of the wind noise comes from the
    huge wind deflector. At high speeds you will
    notice more noise from the doors then from the
    roof. When we drive trough Germany to the Swiss Alps we often drive at full speed.
    Conversation is no problem even at this speed
    (+/- 190 KM/H). No rattles, no annoying noises.
    You can open the top earlier then the top of a
    convertible ( my former car was a CLK 200
    convertible). The wind deflector gives the ML a
    higher "look". A ML 55AMG chrome grill with the
    horizontal stripes can "compensate" the look.

In Europe taller 17" rims (same 5- spoke design as the standard 16" rims) with 275/55 tires are
    available as an option. Is it possible to order
    this option in the USA ? We have never seen
    this option when we visited the USA 2 years ago
    (and Canada last year).

Andrew De Jong, The Netherlands, Europe
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    A poster's email...

"Just a FYI and maybe update to your page I got my HID's from Hoehn MB in California at $600 each.
    The price you have from Clair is still correct ($637.50)."

DT
    I personally would not use the cheaper HID upgrade for several reasons.
    1. they can only correct so much with out changing the front light assebly which is "tuned for halogens and the despersion of the halogens
    This is nearly impossible without major reconstructive surgery. They could bend the metal, change the reflector, but it still wouldnt perform nor be as effective as the stock units
    While you may not get pulled over it will be glaring to the oncoming traffic and hazardous because much of the light is being directed wherre you dont need it (up in the air for example), thus decreasing bang for buck and effectiveness of the setup.

I have heard of people putting the aftermarket HIDs in their High beam compartment, but the problem is the flicker factor.

2. Definatly not warrantied.
    3. Definatly not Legal
    4. I believe that you would have to send your capsules in to them.
    5. The aftermarket HIds use Philips and are much bluer than the stock OEM. AFAIK, this can be seen in the former S-Class. Since the evolution of the HIDs mmost manufacturers are not as blue anymore.

My HIDs are Hella

Personally I advise against these units. because of the safety factor also you would have to ahve a huge hole in the back of your capsule and if you want ot sell the ML.....

I would spend the money on other things maybe a V1 or a Parkpilot. While I did consider it for a while installing the HIDs on my HID unit 'High Beams' I have come to the conclusion that it is useless. If you want more light on the road get Xenon Driving lamps.

Mark,
    have a look at the motor and a close up of the corners of the units on my page:
    http://www.exconde.com/hidmod.htm

Robert
  • bon2000bon2000 Member Posts: 26
    @ guys bon
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    bon2000:
    Nope. It's not the "sport pkg". The "sport pkg" looks like an ML55 except for the hood.
    The M4 pkg is the "off-road look pkg" that was offered in MY2000 and MY1999. It consists of a stainless steel (trapezoidal shape) brush guard, stainless steel side runners (no steps), and mud flaps. MSRP was $1395 and you had to order it from the factory because most places did not stock it.
  • chicachica Member Posts: 13
    I normally just lurk on here because I hadn't really decided when or even if I was interested in buying an M-Class.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend out of town who offered the use of their ML320 '00 for my drive from AL to KY over the holidays. I think I may have fallen in love. What beautiful control and command of the road! I think the giddy-up is fine and don't want to lose any more mpg by getting a 430. My job search may lead me north soon & I may really want to go the SUV route.

I guess I will officially consider myself on the market. What I would like to hear is more feedback from '01 owners. I realize the model year changes weren't that significant but would really like to hear from current '01 owners and their take on the vehicle...likes, dislikes, quirks etc.

Thanks!
    chica:
    The steering change is significant for me. They added variable power assist (i.e., more assist at lower speeds). This makes parallel parking lots easier. The 2001 also has some autocentering so it feels more like other automobiles.
    If you can, I'd suggest waiting for 2002. Curtain bags should be std equipment. If you don't value that, there should be another fire sale at the end of the 2001 model year so you can get the 2001 at close to invoice. Inventories are building up because of the tanking stock market.
    Kenyee,

Thanks. I'm looking at your "What is New for 2001 MY" that was posted on the other discussion forum & I don't see a steering change. I had printed this out months ago though (I told you I was a lurker!) Am I missing something?

Do you own a 2001? I haven't seen that many posts from '01 owners in general.

I thought the turning radius was good on the 320, seeing out the back was a bit difficult. I didn't remove the 2nd row head rests.
    It's not on the official list. It was on Curt Rich's list or someone posted it in the mailing list. It's definitely there though. The steering system from the ML55 was put in all 2001 models.

Yes, I have a 2001 ML320 (built in Sept, but delivered in Nov because they held all 2001s). Jason (atomic80) has a 2001 ML55. Gary Sellani on the M-Class mailing list has a 2001 ML430. There are also a few folks on the list who have 2001 270CDIs.
  • rameshramesh Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks,

Does anyone have this problem?
    The dealer had one of the techs test drive with me and reproduced the problem, but they don't have a way to fix it. The problem goes away when I close and open the mirror, they have asked me to use it as a way to fix it!

I don't agree with the workaround.

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and if so, how did the dealer fix it?

Thanks.

..Ramesh
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    None of the dealers is particularly convenient for me, either. I haven't been in for service yet, but I will probably try the dealer near Roswell (the name escapes me). -- we'll see how it works out. Hopefully they will want my business and will try to build a customer relationship.
    My wife has always preferred to have service done at Classic Cars in Decatur, but I think this is because of habit more than anything else. I recently went through her service invoice history, and some of things they talked her into paying for made me a bit suspicious.
    I understand that Carriage House has a neat option for those who travel - you can drop your car off for service, they will take you to the airport and then pick you up. Haven't tried this myself, though.
    The guy I dealt with at Carriage House was Craig Whitley. We bought our previous MBs from individuals, so this was my first experience buying from a MB dealer. Given that I don't have a lot of experience, I thought he was OK to deal with. BTW, I did most of it over the phone.
    Good luck! Always be prepared to walk if the deal is not what you think is attainable.
    If I get an ML, I won't likely wait for the 2002. Although the changes look interesting, I'm sure the expense will be as well. I really liked the '00 I drove and would anticipate the same satisfaction with the '01.

Handling in snow & rain was very comfortable, I was very impressed. Love the rain sensor on the back windshield.

What do you all think about the Navigation system? I didn't have the CDs to check it out. ;(

Thanks for the input Ken.
  • dagilldagill Member Posts: 13
    Had quite a bit of snow over the New Year and had a great time on the 320. Took Drews and Kenyees suggestion and found a nice big ball park close to Valley Forge Pa and took it for a spin. Had own a c280 and a Lexus but the ride with the ESP etc was awesome, ended up spending 90 minutes rocking and rolling instead of the 20 minutes intended. Had a bad accident when the c280 skidded 2 years and thought I should get use to the handling of the ML. Tried to avoid braking, instead kept foot on accelerator and let ESP etc used its brawn. It was splendid. The ML did hesitate before accelerating when the blinking ESP came on. Only major headache I have in the ML is the wind noise and rattle somewhere near glove box. Built July 2000, bought Oct, has 3500mls.
    Happy Happy
    Hope you guys/gals had a wonderful New Year.
    Dagill
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    chica,

The pricing is not likely to go up much if any with all the competition in the market place it is getting harder and harder to clear inventory. Just a short while ago the ML had a significant waiting list - Now you can get one perhaps the same day or dealer can locate and trade with another local dealer. Of course, you can custom order any ML configuration and wait a few months to get it but this is not nearly as common any more.

There will be many more SUV/SAV models to contend with in 2002 - the VW, Porsche, Audi,Acura, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, Infiniti.... the list goes on... pricing is going to get more competitive!!

Waiting is the thing and if you need it now then now is the time to buy...

Good Luck!
    thanx for your input.
    I'm leaning towards not doing it.
    since there's uncertainty as to how long i'll keep the ML and as to whether i'll remain in the US, i'll prob either just stick to my Hella Optiluxes (which i like quite a bit =) or just go all out and retrofit with the one you got. how much are they going for now ? and sorry if i'm asking this again, is auto-leveling a pain in the a55 to do ? sensors and all ?

dt77
    I'm back in LA now, man, missed driving my ML. and I'm greeted with rain ! in focal ! I really canna drive in snow.. but oh well.
    I took a turn on to my street and drifted' a bit =) ESP intervened and even reduced throttle. (I was on gear 1 whole time).
    bats as close as I get to snow a.
    how sad. =)

dt77
    The HIDs are $600 through Hoehn MB in California...

If you dont know how long you will keep it dont bother wit the HIDs may not be worth the time or money.

As for the Auto Level, dont worry about that it really isnt all that necessary if they are aimed properly.

Robert
  • rikarika Member Posts: 8
    I'm interested in ML320,2001
    I want CD(6CD Changer) Do I need to get them through a MB dealer? and whats the cost? Or can I ask them to through them in for a deal?
  • mlx52mlx52 Member Posts: 72
    I just got done applying the, for the first time, a coat of lexol cleaner and conditioner. It took me 3 hours. I never knew how much leather is in the car until I had to clean all of it! Do any of you think that I applied it to soon considering my car is only 1 month old? Other that that my car is great. I'm having the glovebox and rear seat rattle fixed on Thursday, the service manager was very nice and seemed very concerned about my time and getting the rattle promptly fixed. And said that if I came back on Thursday he would have a loaner and would fix the car in a few hours. This type service is wonderful and is much better than my old Chrysler dealer's service. Mercedes has just won a customer for life, just by their service people!!

Jamie
  • jrfoxtxjrfoxtx Member Posts: 4
    Ramesh,

My left mirror ('01 ML-320) also shakes so much at highway speed that it is a problem. I fold the mirrors regularly, so I don't see this as a fix in my case.

I can't imagine being annoyed enough by the shaking to endure dealing with my ineffective and indifferent service writer until either the mirror is dangling from its wires and scraping the side of the truck or until my "A" service is due in 7000 mi.

- Jim
  • jrfoxtxjrfoxtx Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to the list for instructions on how to disable the panic button! I had set off the alarm folding the key, putting the key in my pocket, turning the key in the ignition, sitting down in the house with the key in my pocket, and on and on. The panic feature would have been more useful to me if it required pushing and holding a recessed button to sound the alarm.

I had to print the AAM setting and give it to my service writer after he 1) said he would research the issue, then 2) told me the panic could not be disabled. I was happy to provide the information, but I could not get my service writer to return calls and set up and appointment for the work. It took the intercession of the service manager to get the job done, and the experience lowered my expectations for and satisfaction with MB Houston/Greenway.

I disagree with having a customizable interface and not letting the user pick the options that s/he wants (e.g., panic button, aux. driving lights/fog lights, DTR lights). The BMW approach of setting the options for key #1 and for key #2 as part of the make-ready and delivery suits me better.

- Jim
    We're off the list. That was the last straw :-)

Interesting auction indeed! I see there were no takers though. I guess the price tag wasn't "appealing" enough. You can buy a whole lot of ML55s (not to mention all of the other AMG vehicles many times over) with that amount of money.
    WRT the fuel pump/FSU, I can only recall maybe 3 or 4 cases (mostly on pre-'99 MLs) where the pump died completely. Mine didn't fail, but I was getting inaccurate readings that didn't correct themselves after parking on a slope. The needle also dropped off rapidly after the 3/4 mark. The first time, they didn't replace the FSU (despite my instructions to the contrary) and did some electrical test instead. It was only the 2nd time that I went in that they replaced the unit with the newest version. I really wanted to say "I told you so!" ;-)

Have a look at Wolfgang's page: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/badgas.html
    The Xenon headlamps are now available for just about the price that you can buy the lamps from your MB dealership's parts counter.
    Yes, that problem has been reported a few times in the past. I'm guessing you have a pre-'00 ML? You may have a loose panel or a defective speaker.
    I've had zero problems with the MCS on my '00 ML. There have been a number of cases of the MCS freezing (mainly in GPS mode, I think), and a couple with the sudden shutdown. I believe the fix was to replace the MCS unit. I certainly haven't heard/read what you dealer has told you about all MCS's having problems. Did you (or your service tech) check the fuses? If one is loose, it may explain the problem.

Good luck and please keep us updated!
    As Andrew said, there have been very few problems (none leaking that I know of) with the Skyview roof. I recall that one of the posters here had a problem with the motor, but that was replaced and the roof worked as usual again. FYI, the rain drops hitting the roof are a little noisier than with a standard moonroof, but I think you can probably live with that :-)
    Yikes, fingernails on a chalkboard? It's that noticable? Any luck yet with the service department?
    Great pictures, thanks!

WRT the tires, the Dunlop Grandtreks on the ML320 are identical to those on the ML430. The larger 17" wheels and lower sidewalls and wider tire contact area give the ML430 a slight edge in handling, but the ride is firmer, particularly on rougher roads. It is a small tradeoff that many would gladly take though.

On another note, the high performance '02 BMW X5 4.6is that made its debut today comes with 20" wheels! Wow! And I thought the ride in X5 4.4 V8 with the Sport package (19" wheels + Bridgestone Potenza performance tires) was really firm already. This must be even more so...

BTW, you're getting the weird formatting (codes substituted for the apostrophes) in your messages because you're using a word processor to type your text. I suggest you use an ASCII compatible text editior, such as Notepad, if you wish to compose your messages off-line.
    The M4 package includes chrome side runners, a brushguard, and mudflaps. The Sport Package basically consists of ML55-like bumpers, rocker panels, as well as different wheels. They're completely different.

Robert's '00 ML430 here has the M4 package (the M4 package is discontinued for MY01, BTW):

This is a picture that Ken took of a '01 ML430 Sport Package (it doesn't come with the chrome accented grill though, that was added):

Hope you understand now!
    Unfortunately, installing a remote starter on an immobiliser equipped vehicle is not easy. They will have to take one of your keys and place it somewhere around the ignition area (basically permanently disabling the immobiliser). Only then can a remote start be installed.
    Does closing the moonroof shade make a difference? Check with your dealership WRT the seals.

Regarding tires, consider the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek TG35s, the Michelin Cross-Terrains, as well as the Pirelli Scorpion S/T tires.
    There is a store in Vancouver that deals with high end car/boat/RV video & audio equipment. They also sell rear mounted video cameras (I assume mainly for RVs), but I suspect they would work for other vehicles as well. You may want to see if there is an RV store around your area that has the same products. Of course, you'll need some kind of (LCD?) screen to monitor the rear area. Here are a couple of rear cam pictures that the Japanese ML owners have installed on their vehicles. Very intriguing...

I wonder what that little box-like thing is next to the right roof rail? Looks like a GPS antenna.

3 hours? That's even lengthier than my cleanup/condition jobs, and I thought I was pretty slow already :-). Yes, there is a fair amount of leather to cover, more than one would think by just looking at the interior. I actually do a double coat of Lexol conditioner on some areas; let the oils penetrate for a couple of hours after the first coat, and then repeat. Wipe off the excess after with a soft, dry cloth. Result is great smelling and soft leather seats/steering wheel.

Please keep us updated as to how your service goes! Best of luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Man when you post you POST!

Anyway WRT the X5. Did you hear of the X5 Coupe? I thought that that one would be interesting.
    The two taillight assemblies, for instance, are not symmetrical. On the right side, there is no C-pillar: the right-side door window continues
    smoothly into the rear window. Everything near the driver is oriented toward the driver making the X coupe more of a 1+3 seater than a traditional 2+2. There is also a turbodiesel coming out and a 750 hL hydrogen powered V12

Robert
  • kingscorpiankingscorpian Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2001 ML 430 with map cd # 7 New England US and map cd # 9 Southeast US. Any one interested in trading map cd # 8 Mid-Atlantic US or any other Cd please email kingscorpian@hotmail.com
    Kingscorpian- What do you think about the nav system? Are the CDs made state by state where you would have to switch them when you cross the border? From what I understand, when you buy, you are only provided the CDs for that state/region, correct? Do you find it accurate & helpful?
    This is just a question out of curiosity because I don't intend to get them but is there really room for 3rd row seating?
    I see the trip computer was "enhanced" in the '01, anyone know the difference? Does it do an accurate job & telling you how far you have left to go on the fuel in your car? I would love for the comp to do this because I always feel the need with any of my cars to see just how far the car will go on empty. I know, it's crazy & bad for the car.
  • cheapdannycheapdanny Member Posts: 12
    Hey all,

The type II Grille Guard if purchased separately does not come with the skidplate. The cost of the skidplate (chrome) cost around $400........ouch! Also not available yet?? The brackets for fog lights cost around $20. from Clair parts.

I haven't been too impressed with the Bose system and would like to enhance it somewhat, perhaps by adding a set of tweeters. Any suggestions or possible upgrades?

My 01 ML 320 has been great on snow and pavement, only minor complaints about the Bose stereo upgrade. 700 miles and growing. Thumbs up on the heated seats too...lol

Danny d:)
  • rameshramesh Member Posts: 6
    Hi Jim,

Thanks, for the sharing the info. I have the same feeling that they are going to wait for it to drop before replacing/fixing it.

I spoke to the Service Manager (Smythe European - San Jose) and he said that he is willing to replace the mirror but he was very sure that it was not going to solve the problem.

Yesterday, I noticed that the right side mirror has started shaking now!

I have 2500 miles on it (bought it in Nov).

Oh well..

..Ramesh
  • guy22guy22 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the follow-up on the MS. The dealer replaced the unit with a remanufactured one saying this was the standard procedure. It appears to be working so far.

Have you or anyone else heard of using re worked/used parts from the dealer? I'm not sure I like this and plan to contact MBUSA.
  • guy22guy22 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry, should have been MCS
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    David,
    Can you hear the whinning even if you are driving? if you are, it could be something else not fuel filter,,,, My suggestion is if there is onother dealership in your area check them out and get some opinion.. Your 430 is still new and they should fix it. I am just lucky here at SO Cal that I have a very helful service tech., even I did not buy my ML from them. They treated me good. I mean very good.