Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• delmarvadelmarva Member Posts: 2
    Dealers seem to have plenty of the front wheel drives, at very negotiable prices, while the 4wds are much rarer. The front wheel drive vehicles drive well on dry pavement, but does anyone know how they handle light or moderate snow or ice?
  • ljbrenesljbrenes Member Posts: 2
    have a question for the Tribute owners: If I try to slam the doors in the front they will close without problems, but if I do the same with the back passanger doors they won't shut!?!? I am not sure if all tributes are like that or if is a problem in mine? do you have the same situation?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The Tribute (and Escape) is much roomier in the driver's seat than the SF is. I drove an SF and loved it, but the leg room for me (at 6'3) was terrible! I sat in an Escape the same day (Ford/Hyundai dealer) and it was roomy. But I did hate the feeling of the cheap door handles. It turned me off big time. It seems the Tribute is having some problems now though. Think I will wait until 2001 or 2002 to get one and hope everything is worked out then.
  • jnsumnerjnsumner Member Posts: 1
    Like ljbrenes, I have noticed that the back doors on my Tribute do not close as easily as the front doors close.
  • omnibudomnibud Member Posts: 24
    if the dealer replaced the battery and it is now dead, then the dealer has to inspect the charging system. this could be as simple as a loose wire, or as difficult as a faulty alternator, voltage regulator or worse, a wire grounding against the body drawing current at all times. typically testing the electrical components is no big deal, tracing a short circuit can be more fun......but with the warranty it's their baby, you'll just have to be without your car for a 'few' days.
  • linespersonlinesperson Member Posts: 1
    I received my mazda two weeks ago and have had NO PROBLEMS with anything. I live in Ajax a town close to toronto and we have received a lot of snow in the past few weeks so I can assure you that the Tribute handles outstanding. I would compare it to any 4x4 on the road.
    I will say one thing, I also own a Corvette and the gas milage IS CLOSE so I hope that it gets better.
  • ffriend125ffriend125 Member Posts: 3
    When I use the Intermit windshield wiper it makes a clicking sound every time it start wiping. Does any body know if this is normal or not?

Help Thanks.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    This is probably a characteristic of the relay that controls the intermittent wipers; my 626 does exactly the same thing.
  • patrickengrampatrickengram Member Posts: 2
  • patrickengrampatrickengram Member Posts: 2
    I have been in the same dilemma as most people that have posted here complaining of lack of availability
    of the Tribute, especially 4x4 with the abs and luxury package. I did happen to run across Brandywine Mazda
    in Pennsylvania last weekend, and they had over 30 Tributes in stock. They probably had at least 10 LX and
    ES models with abs and/or luxury package. Just thought I'd pass this on...
  • fredoiifredoii Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an EX and for the most part am enjoying it. When I did the purchase inspection of the vehicle there were no dealer advertisements on it at all. After I finished with the paperwork the and the vehicle was delivered to me I noticed that the dealer had put advertisement plates on the front and back of the vehicle along with the usual sticker. I did not give much thought to this since I was just happy to finally get the vehicle. In Indiana there is no requirement for a front plate so when I installed my plate I decided to remove the dealers advertisement from the front of my vehicle. Much to my suprise they took 2 wood screws and just screwed them into my bumper. Not only did they stick 2 unsightly holes in my new vehicle but it also stressed the plastic around the holes and puckered them outward. I called my dealer and he told me that they could get it fixed in their body shop and I would have to pay for it at cost. I told him that I would not pay for it at all. I talked to him today and he told me that they are trying to do something for me as a personal favor. Yeah, right. They purposfully damage my new vehicle to install their advertisement and I should pay to get it fixed. I have a feeling that this is going to get ugly fast! After buying my first new vehicle I do not think that I will ever do it again. I have been lied to and mistreated by too many salesmen and dealerships.
    It's just the relay working the intermittent function. My Protege does the same thing. I thought there was something wrong too, but my friend's Nissan Sentra does it as well. Totally normal.
  • johnperry2johnperry2 Member Posts: 2
    Why can't you cget that sunroof or ABS ??

1. Mazda manufacturing have no sunroofs presently - they've run out.
    2. Mazda have run out of parts for ABS

iF YOU WANT EITHER OF THESE - BOTTOM LINE - YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE VEHICLE.
    Why didn't Mazda make enough parts to make the cars equipped the way most people will order them> That makes no sense at all to me.
  • ed_ped_p Member Posts: 3
    I'm one of those lucky people who ordered a fully loaded Tribute ES back in late August. So far, I've got nothing but a big shiny bus and subway to get around in. The last I heard Mazda was going to give a "gift" to people who have been sticking it out waiting. Anyone heard about that one?
  • johnperry2johnperry2 Member Posts: 2
    Here's the official answer from Mazda:

- the supplier to whom these parts originate from cannot ramp up
    with the volume of materials required - hence production is
    now behind - with backorders of your own.
    - when the initial production run began - market research was
    conducted as to the breakdown of cars that were going to be
    purchased - trouble is they miscalcualated the requirement for the
    AB3, 1LX packages.

The message from the VP for North America is ....

no special deals for hanging around

just patience .... personally i'm at the end of mine ....

John
  • smehdersmehder Member Posts: 18
    Just got my token gift from Mazda for waiting. It is a nice backpack cooler. Great gift, but no car to put it in. Why don't they take the Taurus sunroof for the ES?
  • edster1edster1 Member Posts: 12
    I just bought an ES off the lot. It has everything including 4x4, 6 cyl., ABS, moonroof, leather, etc. Must be a regional thing. I live in Central Ohio, and a large local dealership has 15 of them. No problems, but with only 450 miles on it, the gas mileage is lousy...anyone know if it will get better? Also, it takes a little extra to close the back door all the way..but it's not too bad. This is the first 4x4 I've owned...with snow on the ground, there is no other way to go..it's a blast!
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Around 3700 miles, mileage still is piss poor, fuel smell abated for the moment. I saying maybe 1 or 2 miles better then my 1998 Explorer Sport. The Explorer never got better and neither is this, lots of people claim otherwise.
    As far as I'm concerned a backpack cooler is an insult for the hard time this has put me and my family through.
  • skomitorskomitor Member Posts: 3
    I WALKED IN DRIVE OUT IN 2 HOURS WITH NEW TRIBUTE DX EVEN GOT A DISCOUNT. THE DEALER HAS DX~DX~AS IN STOCK. THE SALESMAN WAS GREAT ANY QUESTIONS EM-AIL AT SKOMITOR@HOTMAIL.COM
    JUST FIXING THEY HAVE DX LX ES IN STOCK JUST E-MAIL SKOMITOR@HOTMAIL.COM AND WILL TELL WHO HAS TRIBUTE IN NY NJ I WAS ALL OVER TODAY.BEFORE I GOT MIND TODAY
    JUST FIXING THEY HAVE DX LX ES IN STOCK JUST E-MAIL skomitor@hotmail.com AND WILL TELL WHO HAS TRIBUTE IN NY NJ I WAS ALL OVER TODAY.BEFORE I GOT MIND TODAY
    Re message #72
    Love your LX but bought a DX. Did you pay for an LX and got a DX? What's wrong here... Try buying an ES with luxury package moonroof anti-lock bracks side air bags,towing pkg. and factory installed alarm etc.. not a base floor model.
    I'll be spending my Christmas at home, my Mazda (ordered in late August) is still being built.
  • edster1edster1 Member Posts: 12
    RE Message 75 - I walked in and got a fully-equipped ES with all the options you mentioned...they are around...

RE #70..I have no fuel smell....but am only getting 17 mpg on the highway so far...do you know of anyone who is getting better mileage?
  • jahoffmeyerjahoffmeyer Member Posts: 3
    As of 3:00pm Central Time, we are the proud owners of a white, Ford Escape XLT 4x4 with every option besides the side impact air bag and the 6 disc changer. The best part of our deal was the price. We bought the Escape for $22,655.40. That's $392.60 under invoice price on the vehicle. I am so happy with the dealership and the salesman, that I had to hop on here and post who we dealt with to get this sweet deal, and the resources we used to come up with our offer.

Dealer: Adamson Ford in Birmingham, AL
    Salesman: Bob H, the internet guy, they'll know who you're
    talking about.

How we got this sweet deal. Well, we did our homework at www.carbuyingtips.com and got our invoice numbers from Edmunds. Bob, our salesman, was so cool that he called us back this morning after we blindly faxed his dealership the offer. He said he didn't have exactly what we wanted on the lot, but he told me what they did have and I entered the new figures on the offer.xls spreadsheet from carbuyingtips.com. We drove to the dealership, handed him our very minimal offer of nearly $400.00 below invoice, and without any hangling he said, "DONE!" The Escape now sits in my driveway and my wife and I couldn't be happier.

Don't think this was a simple task. We've been car shopping for over 6 months, but today's deal was as easy as pie. Last night we went to close on another Escape at a different dealer, and they had finagled the numbers to make us think we were getting a deal, but they were actually having us pay MSRP. There is only one name for a car buyer who pays MSRP, "SUCKER!" We came home and fired off 10 offer faxes to Ford and Mazda dealers in the area, Bob called this morning at 8am, and the rest is history.

Moral of the story: If you live in Birmingham, AL, and want an Escape, call Adamson Ford and ask for Bob H., the internet salesman. But, only do this after you've done your homework on the car and know exactly what you're paying and why. He'll cut you a sweet deal.

Now I just have to call the other Ford dealer and rub their noses in it. Actually, I guess I need to thank them for forcing me to take my business elsewhere.

Merry Christmas,
    JC.
  • ginger18ginger18 Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I just received the greatest deal ever. We have been searching all over for the Mazda Tribute Lx, we finally found a dealer that had all models and colors available. When we picked up my new car on x-mas eve, they delivered it with a big red bow on it. We spend Christmas eve, driving around and visiting friends showing off my best Christmas present. It drove superb. I was the envy of the neighborhood. If you like to know how i got this sweet deal email me at saturnblue64@hotmail.com
  • faulh1faulh1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Tribute V6 ES. At 1200 miles my gas milage varies between 10-13 miles/gal city driving. They say one should not check milage this soon but I know of another driver with an identical model who began at 17 mil./gal city driving. Anyone with a similar problem? Otherwise I love the car espicially since I am 6' 7" and the head and leg room is more than adequate.
  • marskstlmarskstl Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone gotten their oil changed yet...the dealer I bought mine at doesn't have 5w 20 oil yet...suggested using 10w 40....any suggestions??? Mazda customer realtions said the dealers should be able to order the oil...the dealer said they can't....Do you think it is a problem to get my tribute serviced at a dealer other than the one I bought it at?????
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    ? 400$ below invoice for an Escape ?
  • tronsrtronsr Member Posts: 46
    The Ford dealers have the 5-20 Motorcraft oil and it is also sold at Walmart.
  • jrfishjrfish Member Posts: 10
    My dealer service manager told me that although the book says to use 5-20 oil, they do ALL of their oil changes with 10-30 (they do not carry 5-20) for all their trucks as well as the Tributes, due to the specific climate conditions where I live. I called Mazda customer relations, who did not have a better answer, and they simply called my dealer and spoke to the same guy I had spoken to. My truck now has 10-30 in it, but I'm going to get in writing that the dealer and Mazda said this was OK and will honor any warrantee work relating to use of this oil weight. The service manager does not believe that this weight will be a problem, but if any of you know any different, please let me know....
  • 1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    See what local Ford dealers are using in this Ford designed engine. I'll bet they carry 5w-20 and use it as specified. Another consideration is the oil filter. It is probably designed with a finer structure to catch smaller metal particles during break in. A heavier oil will open the filter bypass sooner as the filter loads up. See if your Mazda service manager is the only service manager in your area doing this.
  • ddeemoddeemo Member Posts: 8
    5W-30 is a much better substitution than 10W-30 or 10W-40 and is readily available. 10W-40 would be a particularly bad choice on an engine recommending 5W-30. Cold starts and Filter Bypass could be major problems with the heavier oils. A 10W-30 or 40 would be heavier across the entire temperature spectrum and would not be a recommended substitute for any climate condition anywhere in North America.
  • ddeemoddeemo Member Posts: 8
    Picked up my Tribute LX w/ ABS, Tow and Audio Pkgs last week. Had to forgo the Moonroof to get it now vs. March/April time frame. Paid $270 below invoice with no added "Processing Charges" using Mazda S-plan.
  • stuart15stuart15 Member Posts: 2
    #79 - I also am having the same experience with gas mileage. My truck is going to the dealer tomorrow to get checked. One of the reasons I bought the Tribune over some of the other SUV on the market was because of the supposedly better gas mileage.
  • csapm3csapm3 Member Posts: 6
    The problem with the mysterious fuel odor is a porous gasket between the upper and lower intake manifolds. I spoke to my service advisor and he explained that the gasket on some Tribs did not cure properly. What we smell is the residual vapors in the intake when the engine is turned off. The fix is to reseal the upper and lower manifolds and let it sit overnight to allow for proper adhesion and curing (as for the overnight part, he said I'm entitled to a loaner car). Out side of that, I do not have any problems except for 2 inoperative grid lines on the rear defogger. This session used to be informative and cool but all the whiners, cry babies and pessimists showed up and ruined the party. There are alot of "misstatements" here by authoritative persons sounding like Mazda engineers. I have had my Trib since Labor Day and love it. It has truck height but not a truck ride, it has truck power but car fuel consumption, it has plenty of romm for me, wife and child but I can still maneuver in tight parking lots. As for the recalls, Two pertained to my truck and nothing needed to be fixed upon inspection.

For everone who is blabbing and putting truck down out there - state the facts or go elsewhere.
  • joinmijoinmi Member Posts: 2
    I'm down to deciding between a Tribute or Santa Fe. Question for those with Tributes -- do you ever get used to the shift lever on the drive column or is it a constant annoyance. It seems overly long and blocks the radio. Thoughts are appreciated.
  • thegrapeguythegrapeguy Member Posts: 2
    This forum was my nightly home for the last month
    as I toiled over the decision to buy an SUV. I leaned towards the Mazda over the Escape, CRV, RAV, Xterra, etc. But the negative feedback really tested my nerve to step to the plate and plunk down some serious money (to me). I drove them all and since I had a serious accident a month ago I needed safety, power, vision, towing,
    ABS - you get the picture. In the end I still
    couldn't plunge until one night at Mazda the rare (for Upstate New York) ES with luxury, towing, ABS-side airbags rolled off the truck without someone's name on it. I plunked a refundable deposit on it, settled damn near MSRP ($25,375)
    and that night continued surfing the edmunds site
    to only find more negative, some positive comments further tormenting my decision. Getting no sleep last night I dragged myself to Mazda with serious jitters and signed my life away.
    I took a final test ride of course before I signed
    and I took that Tribute thru slush, snow, ice,
    turned hard around snowy corners, gunned it on the highway, slammed the brakes hard and felt the ABS stop me straight and finally knew - enough
    research, this SUV was it! It was fun despite the
    simple interior, yeh I payed too much, yeh I could still have problems (and will let you all know about them) but this car was strong, straight and just plain fun! I then learned that there's an 800 222 5500 (hit prompt #4) where Mazda customer service can trace your Vin# and tell you the history of the car. Mine was released on Dec.12 from the factory with no recall notations justin short "it's ready to rumble" The road ahead is bumpy but I'll cross those bridges when I come to it.
  • thegrapeguythegrapeguy Member Posts: 2
    In response I didn't notice the shifter being in my way - I was having to much fun. Also once your in Drive and playing the radio or CD I would
    focus on driving because a drunk driver hit me a month ago and thank God I was focused because I believe that my last second swerve to the left saved my life otherwise it would have been totally head on. My passenger side of my Acura Integra was demolished. Sorry to get spiritual
    on you but I think in the end both cars would work for you. The Mazda is more money, less warranty, most likely stronger, most likely better resale but I sort of feel that 5 years down the road having stepped up to the Tribute
    I will be in a good position to trade up or sell it for something good. Hyundai maybe but I'm biased - my wife and I had a Hyundai Excel and it was a nightmare. However there's people out there
    who are having a nightmare with the Tribute.
    I believe there's fate involved go with your heart
    and research, test drive, research! If you get close to a Tribute and need advice EMAIL me at
    thegrapeguy@yahoo.com
  • ydissacydissac Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Tribute ES on 11/29/00 and I love it, unfortunately it has been in the shop twice already! The first time oil was leaking by the rear tires and the service dept. said I needed the main seal replaced and this time (oil continues to leak) I need a rear differential seal replaced. Apparently there is a national back order for this part and I will be without my car for at least a month. I've been given a loaner (protege) but it is certainly not comparable to the tribute. What should I do? Who should I contact? I'd appreciate any advice.
  • bclambbclamb Member Posts: 10
    I have a Tribute ES-V6, 4-WD, it's 8 weeks old and I've put 5,000 miles on it. (Yes, I love to drive it, but if I don't slow down soon I'll use up the 50,000 mile warranty in less than two years). So far I have found only one problem with the Tribute. When I apply the parking brake, the dash brake light comes on as it should. However, the next morning, when I turn the ignition on, all of the dash warning lights illuminate properly, then when I start the engine they all go off, INCLUDING THE PARKING BRAKE LIGHT, even though the parking brake is still engaged. Fortunately, I've only made one short trip where I had the brake on without noticing it, but this is a problem that I will take to my dealer tomorrow. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

So far, I've received a new owners manual for the Tribute (the original left out some info on child restraint anchor points), and one recall notice concerning the windshield wiper linkage. Maybe we can get it all cleared up soon. The Tribute has been a fantastic driving experience so far, and with 5,000 miles on it, the gas mileage is averaging 20 mpg.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I don't have a Tribute but I have a CR-V. The colume shifter is no problem unless you like to manually upshift and downshift.
  • omnibudomnibud Member Posts: 24
    from what i've noticed, the only thing the lever really blocks is vision of the rear defroster light. you simply cannot tell if the defroster is on or off and it is not of the auto-off design, so yeah i've driven for a while with it on. my feeling is if this is the only thing keeping you from deciding between a tribute and the sante fe, then go for the hyundia with the floor shift.
  • sjohn3sjohn3 Member Posts: 5
    I have had my Tribute for a little over a month and continue to love it. The shifter is not a problem for me. In fact, I kind of like it now that I am used to it. For me, it seems to block the "on light" on the defrost button more than the radio. That is an inconvenience because the defrost does not appear to go off automatically. I have to look under the shifter to see if it is on or off.

We have had more snow than usual for this time of year (like most of the country), and the Tribute has done great in it! I am so glad I went ahead and bought it to have in the snow.
  • bclambbclamb Member Posts: 10
    I just used the rear window defroster on top of the Smoky Mtns. in 6" of blowing snow drifts, and the defroster does go off by itself. It apparently has to cool down for a few minutes before you can re-activate it, but it does go off on it's own. So, guess the long gear shift lever hiding the defroster light doesn't really hurt after all.
    Mazda sells internationally so they designed the shifter on the column to keep the floor clear because in many countries people want a bench seat in front to hold more passengers and so they can all get out of either side of the car. In crowded older foreign cities the streets are so narrow that you often have to park right against a wall, so you can't get out that side. It's very practical and several years back many american cars had column shifters and bench seats.
  • jeanb3jeanb3 Member Posts: 1
    i have been waiting in new york longisland since Sept 9 for a basic dxv6 anyone waitng this long and did u pay sticker price?thinking of changing soon to sante fe or escape
    Retail selling through the extensive services of a commission salesman, a fancy showroom, and a lot full of new cars is expensive for the dealer and therefore for the buyer. But if you prepare yourself to just order the car from the factory through the fleet salesman with no haggling or negotiations it takes just 10 minutes and both you and the dealer will save a lot of money on these retail services you don't use. If you try you yourself can generally do this using the Mazda S Plan. (see Post #86)
    Telephone only the fleet salesman at various Mazda dealers until you find some that are willing to factory order you a Tribute through S Plan. S Plan is voluntary to the dealers. Then go to www.eaa.org and pay $40 through your credit card to become a member. This entitles you to participate in Ford's Partner Recognition Program (including Mazda) at that site. Go through the steps on that site and the linked Mazda site to get the Personal Identification Number (PIN) for S Plan. You might have to "give them a reason that you might go outside the Ford family and buy a competition's vehicle"…just say that Ford manufactures Tribute and owns a controlling interest in Mazda. You will need to take this (PIN) to the dealer with your membership card to order your Tribute under S Plan. Call the fleet salesmen who agreed to order under S Plan, tell them you have the PIN and ask them what additional dealers fees they are adding to the S Plan cost. Then go to your selected dealer prepared to order from your fleet salesman. Don't use any retail services. Give them about $100 earnest money deposit on your credit card, have a manager sign the order, and have them mail you a copy of the DORA (so you can track delivery later). Then wait through winter until spring.
  • doublewingdoublewing Member Posts: 16
    The problem with the various intake manifold theories is that, in operation, there is a powerful vacuum in the intake manifold. The vacuum is greatest at idle. Now if there is a leak, it will be a leak INTO the manifold.

I have the fuel smell problem in my ES, which worsened recently, so that I smell vapors in the car while waiting at a light, unless I turn the vents off. This cannot be a manifold leak.