Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• Options
    hot4ridnhot4ridn Member Posts: 2
    1jimy1--
    thanks for the info on how to purchase a Tribute through the S plan. It was very helpful in conducting my research into which vehicle to get and how much to pay. Here's what I've found so far: After exhausting research, I'm going to choose the Mazda over the Ford. It would seem that they are not equals after-all and I've heard that, similarly equiped, the Mazda will out perform the Ford. I have yet to confirm this by personal experience.

As far as price is concerned: Apparently, those of us in the Gulf States region (South central and South eastern US) are having a hard time getting dealers to go below MSRP because they say their 1st and 2nd Quarter 2001 allotments are virtually sold and why would they willingly loose money. Even though several Ford Dealerships (some next door) offered me below invoice on XLT Ford Escapes, this didn't carry much weight with Mazda lots. And yes, I did speak to the right people at the Mazda dealerships. Soooooo.......

Anyone north or east of Oklahoma know of a good Mazda internet or fleet sales person who is willing to deal? I'm currently seeking a Desert Metallic or Chestnut Mica LX 4WD, Towing pkg, Premium Audio pkg, 16" alloy wheels, all-weather floor mats but NO moon roof and NO ABS. hot4ridn@yahoo.com PS How about those Sooners!!!
  • Options
    brenedbrened Member Posts: 1
    Purchased an DX AWD a month ago. Absolutely love it! So far I cannot say there is really anything negative and I am very glad I made the decision to buy it. Sifter on the column is not a problem and it didn't take me long to get used to it. I have all the upgrades, leather, towing, etc. etc. so I think it looks much more expensive than it was. I have had 3 people in parking lots ask me what kind of car it was and mentioned how much they liked the looks of it. This is the third Mazda I have owned and fortunately I have a dealer who has a suburb service kept.
  • Options
    sschumersschumer Member Posts: 19
    Earlier this week my wife and I picked up her new 2001 Subaru Forester S. I wanted to take a moment to share how pleased I was with this decision, and the positive buying experience involved. A couple of months ago I set out looking for a replacement for my wife's 1992 Honda Accord EX Wagon -- which has served us (and our two young sons, now ages 10 and 8) extremely well through 220,000 miles. We were looking to buy outright again, and the buying criteria was clear. In priority order, it was: reliability, safety -- based largely on all-wheel drive and air bags offered, cargo space, gas mileage, key features that had to include among other things a moonroof and leather interior, and price. Based on this, another Honda Accord Wagon would have hit the mark (except for the all-wheel drive). But since Honda no longer makes wagons, I began researching other small wagons and small SUV's. I spent a couple of months going through Consumer Reports, Consumer Guide, The Car Book, and a host of Internet sites that included Edmunds, Cars.com, Car and Driver.com, CarReview.com and others. What I learned was the Subaru Forester was far and away the best choice for us. It is clearly a better overall product than either the Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, Mazda Tribute or Ford Escape among small SUV's. What really set the Forester apart was its consensus top-of-the-class rating by Consumer Reports, Consumer Guide and The Car Book; its proven
    reliability; excellent customer satisfaction; all-wheel drive from most experienced manufacturer, along with a viscous limited slip rear differential; highest HP & torque 4-cylinder engine; best-of-class crash rating; best-rated handling and ride; larger cargo space; and 60 month/60,000 mile major components warranty. Key features that were also important to us but pretty much comparable to its competition were the 4-wheel ABS & disc brakes, side impact door beams, side airbags (except the RAV-4), moonroof (except for the CR-V, which doesn't offer one and can't have one installed -- Honda says they have to remove a roof beam, which would negatively affect the structure of the car body) and leather interior, gas mileage, price, heated seats, ability to use regular gas, a full-size spare, heated power mirrors, loaner cars for overnight service while under warranty and door-to-door shuttle service thereafter . Although I have to admit even the little things -- like the de-icing front wiper, integrated window antenna, multiple storage compartments, a rubber cargo area tray, subfloor storage, a dimming rear view mirro with electronic compass, and the easiest-to-open rear door (especially when compared to the CR-V) -- were advantages over the competition as well. I never would have bought the Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute -- neither companies have good reliability records overall, and these products are in their first year of production. The President of Mazda happens to be an old friend of mine, so I knew if I wanted the Tribute I could get a great deal. It
    wouldn't have been worth it.

I'll also tell you we considered a few wagons -- with the Subaru Outback and Volkswagen Passat coming out on top. Here, my wife and I simply preferred the SUV-style over the Outback wagon. And while the Passat wagon is a highly-rated vehicle, to get what we got with the Forester would have meant spending an additional $4,000 to get all-wheel drive, forcing us into the 6-cylinder model with much poorer gas mileage and a requirement to use much more expensive premium gas. All in all, I can't get over the outstanding combination the Subaru Forester offers in terms of reliability, safety, features and value.

With all this, I still had just a bit of hesitation before making the final buying decision because neither my wife or I had ever owned a Subaru. This is where Al Rowe, our salesman, came in. His professionalism, knowledge and straightforwardness in dealing with both of us made the difference. In sales myself -- 20 years with IBM as a salesman, sales manager and now sales executive -- I've learned a thing or two about salesmanship and the right way to earn a customer's business. Al Rowe represented Subaru very well. We expect this to be just the start of a long-term, positive relationship with Subaru of Morristown, New Jersey as we need to service our Forester along the way -- and look for our next car!
  • Options
    hobbybaashobbybaas Member Posts: 11
    Did anyone out there go for the Tribute test drive and submit the J. Crew gift certificate request? I did, along with a friend of mine, and it was postmarked before the November 1 deadline. Neither of us have heard a word! Both of us have copies of the filled out forms. Does anyone out there have a contact phone number or address? I have the address that the certificate was sent to, but I'm not so sure that I'll get a response.

I was so ready to purchase a ES Tribute, but I got so frustrated with the whole recall situation. I couldn't seem to get a straight answer from anyone associated with MAZDA. Really disappointing. I'm a 10 year Miata owner who would have loved to have been a Tribute owner, but MAZDA/FORD really needs to get their act together. Especially their customer relations. I don't want to bash MAZDA or the Tribute, as I was all ready to go. I wish all of you Tribute owners out there the best of luck. So many of you have not only been patient, but also very generous with your thoughts. Thank you!

PS. Bought a Lexus RX300. More $$, but one great car. I don't suggest that you test drive one, unless you are prepared to fall in love!!!
  • Options
    bclambbclamb Member Posts: 10
    I haven't received my J. Crew $50 gift certificate either, and the requested was mailed in time and properly filled out with dealer name and signature. Since then I bought an ES 4-WD with everything, and I've had so much fun driving it I completely forgot about the certificate. (Over 5K miles in 8 weeks). After visiting the MazdaUSA website I received an email offering a free video on the Tribute and that has never arrived either.
  • Options
    iam3iam3 Member Posts: 13
    sschumer writes:

"It is clearly a better overall product than either the Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, Mazda Tribute or Ford Escape among small SUV's .... highest HP & torque 4-cylinder engine ... best-rated handling and ride; larger cargo space ... I never would have bought the Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute -- neither companies have good reliability records overall, and these products are in their first year of production."

First of all, I would like to say that I think Subaru makes excellent cars... however, I disagree with several of these comments. First, although the four-cylinder engine does have the highest torque and horsepower, it falls short of other cars' V6 engines, or even Subaru's own flat-six. I'm not sure about the handling and ride as I haven't driven one myself, but I do know that the 0-60 time is somewhere above ten seconds (I think CR listed it as 11.1, but I could be wrong), which doesn't even compare to the Tribute's 8.7. I don't know where you're getting the idea that Mazda has a poor reliability record -- all Japanese cars basically have good reliability, and if you look in a magazine like CR you will find that Mazda has an excellent reliability history. For example, the Miata is really the most reliable roadster in existence.

The Subaru Forester is a great SUV, but I wouldn't say it's "clearly a better product" than the Tribute.
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Just to second what others said re: gift certificates for test-driving a Tribute... Mazda, you're cheating on us!
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    I think what she's saying is that the Tribute, mechanically, is a ford... and Fords have less than stellar reliability. I'm really suprised at how many Tribute owners post how their car is so much better than the Escape. It's the same car... sure, some styling differences, but it's the same car... the engines and all components are built at the same plants and both vehicles are put together by the same people/robots. About the most Mazda-unique part in the car is the radio. Therefore, if you feel ford quality is an issue, then buying the tribute would be a problem since it's a ford with a mazda badge. It's no different than the navajo. NOW, if you want to buy a protege, THAT's a great mazda. I'd prefer it over a focus any day. Yes, I understand that Mazda (owned by ford...) had a lot to do with the design of the vehicle, the fact of the matter is the engine is practically pulled off the "ford shelf" (contour family, right?). Again, I'm not trying to flame mazda, but in this PARTICULAR case (escape/tribute) they are the same car... it's really a matter of which one you like the looks of better and the dealer experience/warranty.
  • Options
    sschumersschumer Member Posts: 19
    iam3, appreciate your points, allow me to clarify. First off, I of course agree with you that the Forester's 4-cylinder engine (or anyone else's) falls short of any 6-cylinder. That's comparing apples and oranges. I simply stated the Forester had the most powerful 4 among its competitors. Someone who wants a 6 obviously gets more power, gives up gas mileage. As far as handling & ride, Edmunds states it's the best in its class and Consumer Reports said handling & ride were Forester "highs" (October 2000 issue). As far as Mazda reliability, I got my view from Consumer Reports' Annual Car Issue last April. You're right, the Miata's got an excellent reliability record. But the Mazda product line as a whole (i.e. 626, B-series pickups, Millenia, MX-6, Protege) is a bit spotty, certainly as compared to Toyota, Honda or Subaru. And for those that believe the Mazda Tribute is more a Ford than a Mazda, it only adds concern. Bottom line, I think the Tribute has a great many nice features. And for someone who might be leasing it for only three years, they might be very happy. But I was looking to buy and hold for 5-7 years, and in my case I couldn't recommend anybody buying a first-year product like the Tribute over a proven winner like the Forester assuming the Forester's features overall met that person's needs.
  • Options
    dcw7dcw7 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my tribute back.
    with 8000 miles they resealed the intake manifold.

it worked, no more fumes through vents.
    I had to leave it for a few days to let the sealer set.
    the rubber gasket that is on it was not a tight enough seal so they put a sealer on both sides of the gasket and let it set for a couple of days and it worked.
    this is what the corporate techs advised and it worked.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, in case everyone hasn't already noticed. Edmunds has started a Mazda Tribute long term test.

Later...
  • Options
    sschumer and jmatero's posts got me started thinking about the differences between the Tribute and Escape. Well... what exactly are they? Is the engine tuned by Mazda or is it a completely stock Duratec? I read in a Ford advertisement that the Escape's engine puts out 201 horsepower, compared to the Tribute's 200, so I assumed the two engines were somehow differently tuned after assembly.

As to the other parts of the car: the transmission is seemingly identical to the Escape's; the Tribute's suspension is different and designed by Mazda for better halding; brakes are the same; the interior was done by Mazda; and the sheetmetal/styling is obviously different.
    Is all that right?

I would think that the Tribute's handling would also be better, considering how they have more of a sporting heritage (RX-7, Miata, racing program) than Ford.
  • Options
    omnibudomnibud Member Posts: 24
    I must take issue with the statement that the forester is better than the tribute. I understand and agree that if it fits your needs better, then it is the better car for you.... but thats it. talk about apples/oranges comparison.
    lets get right to the point, drive both. which one gets up and goes, which one slugs along with the four cylinder mini cars. how bout cargo space.....hmmmm, lets see... towing capacity... handling, better go read consumer reports, don't bother driving one. styling, yeah this one is in the eye of the cupholder. 190 watt 6 disc in-dash, front/side airbags, enough rear seat room for adults, power moonroof/driver seat, abs, leather.......all for 25 grand. oh yeah, here's one, the roof rack has a 50 pound greater capacity on the forester. so if you line them up side by side.....you got one nice roof rack.
  • Options
    <<lets get right to the point, drive both. which one gets up and goes, which one slugs along with the four cylinder mini cars. how bout cargo space.....hmmmm, lets see... towing capacity... handling, better go read consumer reports, don't bother driving one. styling, yeah this one is in the eye of the cupholder. 190 watt 6 disc in-dash, front/side airbags, enough rear seat room for adults, power moonroof/driver seat, abs, leather.......all for 25 grand. oh yeah, here's one, the roof rack has a 50 pound greater capacity on the forester. so if you line them up side by side.....you got one nice roof rack. >>

Preach it brother
  • Options
    imantimant Member Posts: 1
    As a prior two time Subbie owner and convinced all wheel drive enthusiat(presently have Audi quattro) the Forester is a great buy. As my companion is buying the Trib we looked at the Honda SUV and Forester and she liked the Tribute. It has good looks and she can sit up high. Now does that rationale surprise anyone? Almost as good as reason as anything else.
    Now we've been waiting 3 1/2 months for our order to come in and Mazda reputation is somewhat tarnished from where this journey began back in september with all the recalls and defects.
    Still hanging and waiting.
    FWIW the Audi/VW product is so much more advanced and high quality that you do get what you pay for. Automobile magazine picked the Passat as their BEST family car of 2001 based on those attributes. Of course buying a car is a matter of opinion...as she said.
    Waiting to zoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    <<FWIW the Audi/VW product is so much more advanced and high quality that you do get what you pay for.>>

Yes, you get what you pay for... and you pay for quite a bit more. ;)

<<Automobile magazine picked the Passat as their BEST family car of 2001 based on those attributes. Of course buying a car is a matter of opinion...as she said.>>

I don't think it's fair to compare the Tribute to an A4 or Passat. As smaller, "high-performance" German sedans (or wagons), they lack the spaciousness and cargo area of the Tribute. Interestingly, the Tribute is also just as fast in a straight line (0-60 in 8.7 seconds) as an A4 2.8 Quattro Auto, and actually *faster* than the Passat. Of course there is the risk of rolling over, but the skidpad grip and slalom numbers are also comparable. Something to consider...

Also, the Tribute can do some utilitarian things that the A4 and Passat wagons can't do. I realize that many people aren't buying cars based on their pure "usefulness" (I want a fun car too!) but... would you really take your shiny new Audi skiing? Volkswagen recommends not towing with the Passat... another advantage for the Tribute.

What's my point with all this? Yes, German cars are better. I don't think anyone will argue that. Germans always have been, and probably always will be, masters of the craft. :) But when you consider its price, efficiency, usefulness, performance, and "fun to drive factor" the Tribute is hard to beat. :)

<<Waiting to zoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm >>

Me too. The dealership warned against revving the engine past 4000 for the first thousand miles. Oh well.
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Yes, there is a one hp difference... that can be attributed to marketing, or (probably) slightly different ECU programming. Mechanically they are identical... part for part. When you hear "suspension if different" that is NOT REALLY true. From a purely mechanical standpoint, the differences are most likely shock/strut valve and possibly spring/bushing rate related. The suspension components (arms, links, etc.) are all the same. Same deal with steering... if there IS a difference, it is only with the steering pump pressure, etc. the pump is the same. So drive the two... perhaps there is a SLIGHT difference in handling... SLIGHT at BEST... but they are the same vehicle. Again, the engine (except cover) and the rest is the same... same hands put it together... even same part nubmers I bet
  • Options
    djipdjip Member Posts: 1
    jmatero Where did you get the data you posted. I have not exactly researched the Tribute/Escape so if you can reference your material.... any help would be useful. Being interested in the Tribute, I want to find as much positive/negative feedback I can. I am traditionally not a Ford fan and said I would never own one, but the fact the Tribute & Escape are EXACTLY the SAME is not comforting. I knew the engine and trans were the same but ASSUMED the suspension was entirely Mazda. Any info would help!
  • Options
    ddeemoddeemo Member Posts: 8
    Mazda & Ford have made an effort to differentiate between the Tribute & Escape. They are attempting to target different customers and changes are made to suit each group. Although there is overlap when 2 vehicles are similar, the differences still exist. You might as well say that the Lincoln LS and the Jaguar S-type are the same (except for the $10-15,000 price difference). These are both built on the same platform and have the same engine design just different tuning and sheet metal, although built at different plants.

The Tribute has 200 Hp and 200 LbFt , Escape is 201 Hp and 196 LbFt torque. The engines are tuned slightly differently (different engine management chip) for slightly quicker power on the Tribute. The transmissions are programed slightly differently for sportier response for the Tribute. The suspension pieces are nearly identical but the Tribute has sportier handling with firmer ride, more controlled lean and quicker but less assisted steering.

Small changes can up to a very different feel. If you drive both you will find that the Escape is more of a cruiser and the Tribute is more of a sports car feel. Neither is a true sports car but both handle and accelerate very well compared to any SUV this side of the BMW X5.

While both vehicles roll off the same assembly line, Mazda seems more concerned with vehicle quality. The final quality control checks and adjustments are not the same on both. Also Mazda insisted on the same type of robots as those used on the Japanese built Millennium to reduce quality control problems.

Ford / Mazda have been quick to fix problems on these vehicles which has lead to a perception of a major problem. Most of these recalls have been for relatively few vehicles or minor flaws. Any new vehicle will have a learning curve, no matter who designs or builds it. Many Japanese cars have relatively fewer problems here because they are found and fixed in the Japanese market before being introduced here.
  • Options
    cherriocherrio Member Posts: 2
    I am soliciting advice from anyone that could contribute. I am confronted with a decision to buy a fully-loaded FWD Tribute ES at MSRP or buy a nearly-fully-loaded 4WD ES (minus only the Perimeter Alarm [a $115 option], Step Plate [$89], and All-Weather Floor Mats [$70]) for only $400 more (which basically comes to about $600 below MSRP).

I don't have a significant reason to have a four-wheel-drive (live in SE, relative smooth terrain, no beach nearby) and have no significant attachment to the options I would forego if I choose the 4WD.

Would I be foolish for passing up the better deal on the 4WD? Are there any other differences between the FWD and 4WD that I should consider? Gas mileage? Added maintenance to 4WD? Any more known problems with the 4WD that the FWD hasn't had? etc.

Any input over the next couple of days would be appreciated.
  • Options
    <<Neither is a true sports car but both handle and accelerate very well compared to any SUV this side of the BMW X5.>>

Even compared to the X5 itself. :)

The Tribute is faster in both 0-60 and quarter mile than the X5 3.0/auto. It also had a higher slalom speed.

The more I know about my Tribute, the more I like it... :)
  • Options
    adamjraeadamjrae Member Posts: 65
    The Tribute and the Escape ARE the same. It's doesn't matter if something is "tweeked", It's still the same. The main components are the engine and transmission. Those are the same in both the Tribute and Escape and they are made by Ford.

Also people are saying things like it's more of a Mazda because it was designed in Japan. Yea whatever...FORD ENGINE, FORD TRANS, BUILT ON FORD LINE BY FORD EMPLOYEES. IT'S A FORD WITH A MAZDA STICKER ON IT. Now Mazda is a great company but I see them turning into another Mercury.

"While both vehicles roll off the same assembly line, Mazda seems more concerned with vehicle quality. The final quality control checks and adjustments are not the same on both". -HOW CAN THIS BE TRUE? The Tribute and Escape had the same recalls for the same things. The quality checks are the same no matter what. When they build the Tributes they use different quality inspector then when they build the Escape? NO Ddeemo that's not true.

The Escape/Tribute is a piece of junk. Anything that has 5+ (5 for Tribute, 6 for Escape) recalls from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is simply not worth it. Also the 5 recalls the NHTSA put out are the same for both!
    FUEL:THROTTLE LINKAGES AND CONTROL
    STEERING:WHEEL AND COLUMN
    WHEELS:HUB
    FUEL:FUEL LINES FITTINGS AND PUMP
    VISUAL SYSTEMS:WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE:PIVOT:DRIVE ASSEMBLY
    This only proves that they are the same. Mazda is a wonderful company with quality cars only if Ford would keep out of them.
  • Options
    tsctomtsctom Member Posts: 9
    >> The Escape/Tribute is a piece of junk. Anything that has 5+ (5 for Tribute, 6 for Escape) recalls from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is simply not worth it. <<

>> Mechanically they are identical... part for part. When you hear "suspension if different" that is NOT REALLY true.<<

I'm getting a little tired of this whining by people who sit hunched over a computer screen, have never driven the car, and have never been in an assembly plant, let alone an automotive design office.

The recall issues have been handled in this forum, logically, on many occasions. Speculation and guesses regarding the similarities/differences between Escape & Tribute are irrelevant; drive them, and decide for yourself. Discuss with us your impressions based on fact, not some dreamed up nonsense.

I'm a mechanical engineer, worked in the auto industry for 15 years, and am VERY impressed with the Tribute I bought.

It is spacious, fun, quiet, and drives with similar personality to that of my Miata.

I suggest the whiners who spout these useless proclamations without any supporting data or evidence (even empirical) return to whatever segment of internet geekdom they came from, and the rest of us spend time productively discussing technical issues related to a very well engineered and enjoyable vehicle.
  • Options
    fell123fell123 Member Posts: 3
    Hi--I'm new here. I've been waiting for my new Tribute since the beginning of November. Today I was just told by my salesperson that my Tribute is awaiting ABS parts and is not even in the production line yet. My question, anyone have any clue how long it takes to get these parts and when I can possibly enjoy taking ownership of this new vehicle? Attn: Bobmazda---maybe you would have some kind of clue? Or if anyone else has recently received their Tribute would you mind telling me how long you waited?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    darmadarma Member Posts: 2
    I, too, have been waiting for my Tribute. I've been waiting since October 10th and have been told today that the vehicle is still not even on the production schedule yet!

I am enormously frustrated, but after reading this bulletin board, I can see I'm not alone. (small concession).

However, after shopping and reshopping, I am convinced that what I want is absolutely the Mazda Tribute. I ordered the LX model with ABS, moonroof... pretty much loaded... and have been told the consequence is a very long wait!

I have yelled at my Mazda salesperson (who happens to be an autobytel dealer)... and then made up with him several times. He's getting no information from his sales rep... and Mazda will not "allow" him to give me his sales rep's phone number so I can get some idea of a delivery date, nor will they give him any reasons why, when... and have pretty much told the dealer to just let the customers cancel their orders (as he tells me most have done). No wonder the car manufacturers are facing cut-backs. They don't want to sell any vehicles..!

How long should it take a car manufacturer to recognize a production problem and correct it to deliver pre-sold vehicles? Am I missing something here?

I would love to hear from anyone who might know what the heck is going on.

This is very sad customer service on Mazda's part. They should at least be communicating with their customers on the status of the their orders and making some sort of concession in return for their extreme patience.

So, I remain... anxious, but waiting to zoom, zoom, zooooommmmmmmmmmm!
  • Options
    #1 I have driven the Mazda Tribute. I was one of the first 10 in my city to drive one. I knew more about the Tribute than the dealer did so I do my homework. I never said the Tribute was not a nice riding SUV. IT IS a nice ride.

#2 I actually had one on order from Mazda using the Mazda S plan. I thought at first it was more Mazda than Ford but while waiting for it (5 weeks went by with dealer telling me it's being built just to find out they were not honoring the plan) I canceled the order due to increasing recalls from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and poor communication from the Dealer/Manufacturer. I'm glad I never bought a Tribute.

#3 I have been in an assembly plant in Detroit where I used to live. I knew a few people that worked on the assembaly for Ford and Gm. They really we not the brightest light on the christmas tree. They were there for the $$$ and that's all. Sure you get paid good money and it takes a year to work on a car line but are you doing a quality job? I no longer live in Detroit and drive 2 foreign cars. I now see how some people are blinded into the buy American syndrome. I also had a close friend that just went to the Grand Prix plant. He said when that break buzzer sounded if a worker was in the middle of tightening a bolt they would lay down their tool and walk off the line. There is quality for you.

#4 "supporting data" What do you want me to support? I'm sure I've proved myself more than just a "whiner".
  • Options
    Mazda isn't a "Ford division" any more than Jaguar or Aston Martin are. For that matter, you might as well say that Lotus is just "a divison of GM."

<<FORD ENGINE, FORD TRANS, BUILT ON FORD LINE BY FORD EMPLOYEES. IT'S A FORD WITH A MAZDA STICKER ON IT.>>

FORD ENGINE TUNED BY MAZDA, MAZDA SUSPENSION, MAZDA STYLING, MAZDA INTERIOR. IT'S A MAZDA. AND STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS. PLEASE.
  • Options
    twbauertwbauer Member Posts: 3
    After much deliberation about spending the money on a Toyota 4-Runner, ( I own a toyota pickup with 103,000 and still running great with normal keep up) I decided not to, and order a Mazda Tribute. I was told the same thing as everyone else about the 4-6 month wait. After work one day I decided to call around the area just to see if there just happened to be one around. To make a long story short, I called many dealers (Wisconsin and Minnesota), and eventually did find a Loaded AS 4X4 with Luxury package (moon roof), and ABS. Exactly what I ordered from the factory, but I get it now.... not next July!!!! The only thing is that it is black, not silver. Not a bad sacrifice to get the vehicle now.
    By the way, I'm a recent college grad, and if there are any other gads out there, the Mazda grad program will let you defer the payment of your loan 6 months. (for a high interest rate) But, at the end of the 6 months, you can refinance the loan with any bank (for a good interest rate and no extra cost) and have a decent down payment. (save during the 6 months)

My 2 cents worth on the recall deal
    If you think about it, the recalls that were made were for fairly minor things. I realize that a recall in general doesn't happen if there is not a for sure issue with the vehicle, but come on... making your decision based upon a wind shield wiper recall is a little harsh. To each his own, I guess, but make sure you drive the vehicle before casting judgment. I have been pleased with everything I have seen so far... I pick up my new tribute tomorrow.... 3 days after calling dealers. Bottom line..... LOOK AROUND.... they're out there!!!!!!!
  • Options
    guidrypguidryp Member Posts: 7
    I just checked the warranties offered on the Tribute in Canada.

All real Mazdas have a 5 year powertrain warranty, but the Tribute only gets a 3 year Powertrain warranty.

You figure it out.
  • Options
    I must defend myself

"divison of ford" - I never said that anywhere in my posts. Please do not quote me for what I have not said. But it is true that Mazda is controlled at least 30% by Ford.

Typing in all caps...well I went overboard. I won't do it again but the caps for the recalls are copy and pasted from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site. It's not my text.

All Mazda? How can it be all Mazda if it's built on a Ford line by Ford employees? Just because it says Mazda on the outside emblem do you really think Mazda makes it? Do you think Mercury makes the Mercury Mountaineer? No it's the same mechanical parts as a Ford Explorer with a different cosmetic look. The Tribute is has the same mechanical parts as the Ford Escape with a different cosmetic look. It's still built by Ford with Ford parts.

I own a 91 Mazda Protégé and there is no Ford in it. I love that car. I love Mazda. When my Protégé dies I plan on buying another Protégé only if it has not been touched by Ford.

The main thing I'm trying to say is the quality of the Tribute/Escape is poor. 5 recalls in 6 months is not a good record. Sure there are a lot of cars out there that have recalls even the best of them. But 5 recalls and it is only 6 months old? Some say -well it only affects a small amount out there they fixed the problems so soon-. True it does only effect a small amount of the Tributes out there but the fact is if the quality and workmanship was taken seriously that wouldn’t have happened. This makes me judge not the car but who puts it together, designs it, writes the instructions for assembly, and quality check. Will there be more in the future? We will find out.
  • Options
    sjohn3sjohn3 Member Posts: 5
    I totally agree with twbauer. If you are waiting for a Tribute that you ordered, you will continue to be frustrated. In my opinion it would be much less frustrating to compromise a little on the options or color you want and go ahead and buy one that is on the lot.

I found that if you check at the end of the month that most dealers will usually deal more. I would think that this time of year would be a good time to buy a car.

I did not get exactly what I wanted (I wanted ABS, Tow Package, and FWD), but I love my new SUV. I have forgotten that it is not my "ideal" because it is so much fun to drive. Quit waiting and find something close to what you want... nothing in life is ever exactly the way you want it anyway.

Also, adamjrae... if you are so down on the Tribute, quit torturing yourself at this site and go post somewhere else where you can be positive about something.

Everyone that rides in my Tribute loves it!! Zoom!
  • Options
    guidrypguidryp Member Posts: 7
    I am in total agreement with Adam. I have owned two Mazdas (Miata and 323 hatch), and they were both exceptional cars. I was more impressed with my 323, since it had a real hard life and returned perfect service. Mazda makes bulletproof drivetrains.

Somehow my brain stopped working last year and I bought a new Ford Zx2 with the 2L Zetec engine. What a piece of crap (these were my thoughts before my tranny went at 6000 miles).

I think the Tribute is fabulous, but the tranny is a known weakness. Having assembled on a Ford line is indeed another worry. I may still get one, but I definetley will factor the 7year warranty into the price.

As I said in a previous message, you have to wonder why Mazda (in Canada) has 5year power train warranty standard, except on the vehicle with the Ford drivetrain. This is not confidence inspiring.

Peter
  • Options
    <<I think the Tribute is fabulous, but the tranny is a known weakness. Having assembled on a Ford line is indeed another worry.>>

Yes, Ford isn't exactly known for quality. After all, the company *is* American... ;)

At any rate, the reliability can't be much worse than my '86 Jeep Cherokee.
  • Options
    nwwoodsnwwoods Member Posts: 21
    Please read the topic "Ford Escape vs. Mazda Tribute" starting around post #35 and all following posts discussing the Supply Chain.

Upstream, there are many different parts and suppliers. Downstream, Tributes are sold, serviced and supported by an entirely different network than the Escape, and the warranty is longer (in the U.S.)

In some regards, you might say all they have in common is that they happen to be built in the same place by the same workers, and that they share numerous Tier 1 and some Tier 2 supplier components.
  • Options
    tclyatttclyatt Member Posts: 7
    Love the American solution. If you can't have what you want now, whine. My 7 year old is past that.

Two questions:

Has anyone any experience using studded tires on TribScape? Any binding of the drive line?

Has anyone any experience towing 3000 lbs with TribScape? Uphill acceleration? Emergency braking?
  • Options
    darmadarma Member Posts: 2
    tclyatt: God forbid, anyone should use this bulletin board to air frustrations and ask other Tribute experts for their constructive thoughts and suggestions.

but, thanks to sjohn3. I appreciate your suggestion. I will start my call-around.
  • Options
    ral8610ral8610 Member Posts: 2
    I am contemplating purchasing a Mazda Tribute ES 4WD V6 and would like to know if anyone has taken one off-road in the sand such as the Outer Banks of NC.
  • Options
    kchampkchamp Member Posts: 1
    Ford crop. cut production of the Tribute so they could make more Escapes. Ford has final say on prodution they think if Mazda does not have the product the public will buy the Ford !

At this time the production of Tributes with moonroofs has been been cut to only 20% as well as less than 1% with ABS.

In response to the 4x2 vs. 4x4 .. if you can get a good deal on a 4x4 you will get the extra cost back at resale time .. the gas millage is rated the same and there is no extra maintance cost.

The good news is ... the Mazda store in Brandon FL ( high volume tribute store) has 30+ Tributes in stock and ready for delivery !

4x2 , 4x4 , DX,LX,ES, moonroofs , ABS , best colors !!
  • Options
    phengpheng Member Posts: 5
    After waiting patiently for 3 1/2 months, I finally got my tribute yesterday. Base LX-V6 sunfire red for $20,150, I was thinking of cancelling the order due to long wait and poor communication by dealership but I'm glad I didn't.The red color looks really sharp. So far no problems (fumes etc.) For those of you dying to get your tribs, be patient...it's worth the wait!!Anyway, anybody knows if it has a remote trunk release? Dealer told me there is none but I read in the specs here at edmunds.com that it has a remote trunk release.
  • Options
    Hi Pheng, congratulations on getting your new LX-V6. In answer to your question, I know that my ES-V6 does NOT have a remote "trunk" release, and the remote does not lock or unlock the rear hatch, it must be done with the key. I hope your dealer pointed out there are only two key entries on the tribute, the driver's door and the rear hatch. The front passenger's door does not have an exterior keyhole so you can't open it with the key, only with the remote or from inside!

Have a great time with your tribute, and check out the Yahoo Mazda Tribute Owners Club at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/mazdatributeownersclub
  • Options
    okwxguyokwxguy Member Posts: 1
    Be careful using the information here on Edmunds as the gospel. It also says that the passenger air bag can be disabled...and it can't (at least I haven't found it on mine). Also, the pricing can be different for MSRP (but that should be expected since automakers change things at the drop of a hat sometimes).
  • Options
    hornmichhornmich Member Posts: 2
    ral8610: I have taken my 4wd DX out on the beach at Fort Fisher (outside of Wilmington, NC.) This is a popular spot for the 4x4 crowd down here, so there are tire tracks up and down the beach. My Tribute had no difficulty as long as I stayed in the tracks of others. When I drove across "virgin" sand, there was no problem either.
    If, however, you are in the ruts already formed and you want to get out of them, it is very difficult to climb out of them. Some of my friends who own larger trucks and SUV's (i.e. Yukon, Expedition) said that they have similar results with their vehicles.
    I was very impressed with my Tribute's performance on sand. I did make sure to put the transmission in the lowest gear and engaged the 4WD before heading out.
    I plan to take my Tribute out on the beach alot more when warmer weather arrives.
  • Options
    fultontfultont Member Posts: 13
    Hi-

I am in search for a ES 4X4 tribute in white fully loaded. Willing to travel east coast or ship it from other locations.. Can anyone advise of any dealers who may have one..

Thanks
  • Options
    ral8610ral8610 Member Posts: 2
    hornmich: Thanks for the response. One question -- what engine do you have?
  • Options
    Your remote should unlock (but not open) the rear hatch. It takes 2 clicks.

The first click of the remote unlocks the driver's door. The second subsequent click unlocks all pass doors and the rear hatch.
  • Options
    According to the financial report filed in Japan, 2000 was a good year for Mazda.

Profit was over 250 million USD.

With the success of the Tribute and the MPV, and the excellent quality of the 626, Miata and Millenia, here's to a banner 2001 for this fine company!
  • Options
    To tsctom, where did you get your tribute? The US tribute does not have a remote that unlocks the rear hatch. The second push of the remote does unlock the remainder of the passenger doors, but that's it. You still have to use a key to unlock, or lock, the rear hatch. Perhaps you have a Canadian model, I don't know about them, but the US models do not unlock the rear hatch with a remote.
  • Options
    djomahadjomaha Member Posts: 2
    I actually have a U.S. model Tribute and I too am able to unlock the rear hatch with the remote. Perhaps you need to check your manual as I believe that is the way the feature is supposed to work. I'll have to check, but maybe there is a way to set the rear hatch so it won't unlock with the remote. Barring that possibility, I would guess that you have a faulty rear hatch. I'd certainly look into it as using your key to unlock it every time seems like a pain (we are spoiled these days aren't we? :) ). Good luck.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 8
    The Escape's grill looks like it's smiling. I'm getting 4x4 V6 Tribute w/sunroof @ auto(wife).Anyone want to give me a guess on the price and when should I buy?
  • Options
    rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    page 54, Unlocking the doors:

"Press this control to unlock the driver's door. The interior lamps will illuminate. The flashers will flash twice to confirm the vehicle is unlocked.

Press the control a second time within three seconds to unlock all the doors."

Notice that it says, "...unlock *all* the doors." That statement would include the rear hatch.

bclamb: Since you posted *twice* that the remote of your ES won't lock or unlock your rear hatch, it would seem that the remote system of your ES is in need of servicing. The remote of everyone else's US Tribute seems to work as the manual states it is supposed to.