Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• domettgdomettg Member Posts: 55
    Anyone familiar with a technical service bulletin pertaining to wind noise around the doors of the Tribute?
  • happymisterhappymister Member Posts: 16
    When i purchased my new 03 ES tribute,I bought the extended warranty 7yr/100k for $794. At that time, I asked them specifically about the oil change and if i can use synthetic.. and they said. no.

go by the book for warranty coverage is their response. so not sure if its worth the risk to convert to synthetic.
  • alwaysedalwaysed Member Posts: 55
    As far as I know, no manufacturer's warranty is voided by the use of a synthetic. In fact, more and more upscale cars come with it in the crankcase (Corvette, etc.). The dealers want to sell you more oil changes, not fewer. But, frequent changes with a mineral based oil will be ok, as long you don't have temperature extremes or severe use.

Most service depts will tell their customers that the excess cost is not worth it, but they will agree it is a superior oil.
  • my02tributemy02tribute Member Posts: 2
    My dealer insisted that 5w30 would work fine and would only give me 5w20 for $10 more. I was finding that I was only getting 20 mpg max out of my car. When I visited another dealer he told me that you should only put the 5w20 in. When he did my gas mileage went up to 23 mpg. That's the only difference that I've seen. The manual says to ONLY use 5w20 and does not even make allowances for other types.
  • bigred74bigred74 Member Posts: 4
    How good a deal is this?

03 Tribute w/ rear spoiler, per. alarm & rear bumb. step plate for 19,416 w/ tax, title dealer fee.

List was 25,624.
    Traded in a '97 Cheev Cav LS, power everything 45k mi. They gave me 3,500, w/o looking at it, plus the 2,500 rebate, and my bro. works at the dealer, so he got me another 1,627 off.

Thanks.
    my comp is horrible at work
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The reposting bug is a feature of our software. Try clicking on Recent Messages instead of refreshing your browser.

Did you look at TMV for that Tribute? I don't think it's old enough for our Used Customized Appraisal button to work.

Steve, Host
    Steve,

The Tribute was new, the Chev Cav was trade-in. Sorry if my message was a little messy.
    Your message was fine, I got a little blurry while deleting the extra ones I guess :-)

Anyway, you can check the TMV links on the New and Used Car pages if you want to see how far off "average" you were.

More fun though, just to step away from the computer and go enjoy the new Tribute - congrats!

Steve, Host
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Hello everyone...I'm happy to say that we can once again have a weekly Mazda chat (for those of you who remember!)

The chat will be for all Mazda owners. We are talking with the folks at Mazda to see if we can entice a few of the Brand Managers to stop in every once in a while and participate (no promises, but we are working on it!)

I'm trying to find out from the various Mazda vehicle owners the following:

1) what night of the week would work best?
    2) what time? (please give the timezone)
    3) what would you like the chat to be called? (e.g. the Subaru chat is the "Subaru Crew" chat)

We hope to have the Mazda weekly chat going by mid-October.

I'll check the discussions I post this announcement in - but to not distract you with scheduling details, feel free to email me your choices at [email protected]

I'm happy this weekly event will be back.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Does anyone know if Mazda will be introducing a hybrid version of the Tribute (since the Escape twin is reported to be receiving this engine configuration soon). I like the idea of hybrid engine for the increase in fuel economy. In all the posts I have read about the Tribute the biggest gripe seems to be about the relatively small fuel tank and the limited range you can get between fill-ups. I prefer the looks of the Tribute to the Escape but could probably convince myself to get the Escape if the Tribute is not offered with a hybrid option.
  • wenreder1wenreder1 Member Posts: 26
    Oh please say it isn't so..........
    Did Mazda discontinue this color in the 2004 TRIBUTE ????
  • kfbauerkfbauer Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased an 04 in tundra - light green. It's a sharp color, we like it.
  • wenreder1wenreder1 Member Posts: 26
    .... it really makes the vehicle look so nice and "distinguished", especially with the two-tone (plastic body/bumper panels). There are more FORD Dealers down here (Valrico, FL) than Mazda Dealers, so I went to my FORD Dealer to check out an '04 ESCAPE.... guess what ?? FORD does NOT offer that color (Light Tundra).... never did in '03 and not in '04. I guess it's an "exclusive" Mazda color. On the test drive, the engine provides plenty of power and it handles failrly well, but that "titanium" (cheapy silver) plastic interior panels really make the vehicle look like a kid's toy !! Yes, I have read in this Forum about "veneer overlays", etc. but all-in-all for $23K the stock interior panels look worse than those in a "disposible" $10K vehicle. I'm still "right on the line"..... one day I wake up and want to run down to my Dealer and place my order ('04 Mazda Tribute), then I read so MANY "negative" and "problem" reviews HERE, and get so darn confused..... Thinkin' of KIA, but really want to stay "American" !!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Mazda Mania Chat
    Tuesday nights - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    This months allocation will be the first orders for the "re-freshed" 2005 Tribute....expect them to show up in Jan. 2004.

Mazda is not accepting anymore 2004 orders for the Tribute.
  • zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    What changes can we expect for the "refreshening"?
    I won't have the complete details for a couple weeks or so...but one big change is the availability of the floor shift console....also Mercury will get an upscale version called the Mercury Mariner.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    That will be the one they should change long ago. Drove 03 ES V6 as rental for one week. Not only the column shifter looks like soccer mom, it also stands in the way for the other controls.
  • doggyworlddoggyworld Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone point me to a place which would have detailed instructions on removing the factory stereo and installing a new one? Or, if you could just write out how to do it, that would be great too. I don't really know much about how to install car stereo's, but I heard that it is not that difficult, so I would like to put an MP3 CD player to replace the factory stereo. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Also, I found this which looks alot like the same shape as my stereo, so I'm wondering if this is the same way you would remove it:

http://www.carstereohelp.org/stereoremoval/MazdaMPV3StrR.htm
  • melloyello27melloyello27 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have 2003 LX with Luxury Package, Perimeter Alarm, Rear bumper step plate and Cargo Net.
    Just the other day my alarm system went off.
    No one near the car or anything at all for that matter. I check the car and "thinks" there was a door open and wouldn't allow me to arm the alarm system or anything. The overhead lights were on and the door ajar light on the dashboard was on. After a while everything went back to normal and I was able to arm the car. This has happened twice. Any Ideas?

TIA
    Here is the info on the 2005 Tribute 's' model option packages

#1 6 way pwr seat, premium audio, am-fm 6disc changer, moonroof,cargo cover, overhead storage.

#2 6 way pwr seat, prem audio, am-fm 6 disc chagner, cargo cover, leather, black maple look center instrument panel treatment, leather wrapped wheel, overhead storage.

#3 pwr seat, premium audio, am-fm 6 disc, leather, cargo cover, black maple center, overhead storage, heated mirrors, heated seats, moonroof.
    I'm officially in the twilight zone.

Until now, I haven't had any need to use the 3yr/50,000 mile warranty on the Tribute (other than some initial minor fixes in 2001). However, I just had the transmission flushed for $82. I'm confident the Tribby will continue to function well until this spring when I decide to replace it with the Mazda3.

In the meantime, has anyone brought their Tribute in for a tuneup? When I had the tranny flushed, the service tech said not until 105k miles. I'm thinking I'll have it done at 60k or so. Any input is appreciated.
  • janny912janny912 Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my brand new 2004 Tribute LX (Merlot Pearl)last night. I think it's cute and I'm really excited about it. So excited, I didn't notice a "minor" problem until this morning as I almost locked myself out of the vehicle. I was warming it up before work and wanted to make sure the doors were unlocked - so I hit the unlock button on the driver side panel. Good thing I opened my window a little bit because it seems that my power lock/unlock button is reversed. When you hit the lock button it unlocks - when you hit the unlock button it locks. I'm bringing it in for service over the weekend. When I called the saleswoman told me she's "never heard of anything like that before" and neither have the guys in the service department. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm sure it will be a minor repair, but still, I've been a Chevy owner since I've been driving - this is my first Mazda and I'm a little nervous being that I haven't even had the vehicle for 24 hours.
    Mazda just announced 0% for 60 months on 2004 Tributes in the Northeast. Check your local dealers for other regions.
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    picked it up last night. the car has 10k miles, pretty much everything on it and is certified. only 2wd, getting the 4x4 wasn't worth it for me given the limited used i'd get out of it. very nice vehicle for the money, nicely equipped and so far happy with the ride. anything in particular to look out for? given that it went through the certification process all the components were checked (brakes, etc.)...thanks.
  • desertmandesertman Member Posts: 30
    It's now December 15, and I see no signs of the redesigned 2005 model - or any hint from Mazda that it's coming. Someone on this list said it was definitely coming this month. I'm thinking maybe January. It will be significantly better than the current model, that I won't waste my time shopping for a Tribute until it comes out.
    It doesn't look like the exterior for the 2005 Tribute (japanese model updates) is being updated significantly. If you can wait though, you'll get a floor shifter and possible NAV and HID!
    Mazda chat starts in ~2 hours. Link is on the left.

Steve, Host
    different date, same message :-)

Steve, Host
    Here we go again...

Mazda chat starts in one hour - link's on the left.

Steve, Host
  • jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
    You may want to try Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) for directions (maybe) and replacement head units and other components (definitely). I've used them for over 20 years now and the company's great. Not the cheapest, but they know their stuff.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Are side airbags/Safety Canopy going to be standard on the 2005 Tribute S? They are not listed in any of the option packages you outlined.
    the side air curtains are available as a stand alone option with all the option packages on the 'S' model.

Rich
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    I have seen some info on the 2005 Escape and assume the Tribute will get the same upgrades.
      1. 4 wheel disc brakes
      2. Center rear seat passenger will get 3 point seat belt and a smaller than usual head rest.
      3. Floor/console trans shifter.
      4. Changes in front and rear facias and different headlights and guages.
      I got some of the info from edmunds and from a Ford rep at the Omaha auto show.
      These are all changes I have wanted to see and feel the wait was worth it.
      Anyone have any thoughts on the proposed changes for 05? How soon will the 05 arrive at dealers? anyone seen one? anyone order one?
    The 2005 Tribute is ready to be shipped to dealers....but there is going to be a slight delay to reduce the remaining 2004 inventory. Mazda will have a big timing advantage over the 05 Escape and 05 Mariner.
    audia8q - Why is Mazda so totally mum about the new Tribute? There has never been anything about it on their website, not even in the Upcoming page. Nor were they at the LA or Detroit Auto Shows. In contrast, the Escape was at one of the shows and is featured on the Ford website. As a result, I know a lot more about the Escape than I do the Trib.
    Another question for audia or anyone else: According to Edmunds, the 2004 Escape V6 has an oil change interval of 3,000 miles. The 2004 Tribute V6 has an oil change interval of 5,000 miles. Given that these vehicles have the same engines and presumably the same transmissions and other mechanicals, why do they have different service intervals?
  • ferry11ferry11 Member Posts: 1
    I am doing some research for Tribute ES, 2004. It looks like 2005 is about to show up the dealers. Should I wait for 2005 until the 0% APR ends(March 1, 2004)? Overall do you guys recommend Tribute and lastly, I was given a quote for ES 2005 - "The list price is $26,809 and the Internet price is $22,535* plus your state tax, tags and freight". Is this a good deal? I also read about this fuel hose/smell problem, anybody knows if this is a potential problem for new Tributes or was it for the old ones? Pls. let me know since this will be my first brand new car purchase.Thank you.
  • kevriakevria Member Posts: 14
    I picked up the last 2003 Tribute LX 4x4 in the North East for 200 miles around and am finding that it has lousy gas mileage. My normal commute averages 35mph for 8-12 mile stretches with a total of 3 stop lights and 2 stop signs along the total 25mile distance. Both of my last 2 fillups have shown that I am only getting 17.9mpg. Any ideas, I thought it was 18/23 for this vehicle.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    I have to give up my Golf diesel... avg 80 mph with 3 adults, full trunk, a/c on, 50 MPG....

Cant wait for the escape hybrid... thats the onlyt way ill even consider one of these suv pigs...
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Saw the 05 at the Philly car show. New tail lights and only minor changes to the headlights. Ford did a much better job on the Escape's headlights. Overall shape is the same. Not much overall improvment in looks.
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    I have owned 2 Tributes..01 & a 03. The mileage sucks in the winter. We had -42 with -60 windchill last week & I was struggling to get 21 mpg(17mpg US) at 70 mph. It has warmed up to -10 & mileage is back up to 24 mpg. In the summer I routinely see 26-28 mpg Canadian on the hiway(22-24 us mpg)
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I am thinking about buying either an Escape or Tribute but will be moving to an area soon without a Mazda dealer close by (but there are several Ford dealers).

Will a Ford dealer repair a Trib under warranty, or even at all?
    Mazda is giving no indication that it exists or that it's coming. And the dealers are wildly ignorant - they have no clue, and seem to think it's months away. It looks like the Escape will come out first. Some are reporting that the Escape had already arrived at dealerships.
    I have posted numerous updates about the 2005 Tribute....they are built and waiting to be shipped. They will be shipped when the supply of 2004 is reduced. It could be tomorrow or a few weeks from now. But its not far off. We got brochures and marketing stuff this week.
    When are they going to put it on their website, with specs, etc? They don't even have it on their Upcoming page, and it's days or weeks away.
    They will put it on their website when the 2004 are reduced....that is up to consumers. If the consuemrs buy alot of tributes this weekend, I suspect they will ship soon.....if not they will hold them longer. It's all about the sales. It makes no sence to ship the 05's and then force mazda to add additional incentives to the 04. There is no huge pent up demand for the 05 yet and the Ford and Mercury versions are not appearing soon either. The Mercury Mariner wont even show up until the fall.
  • markregelmarkregel Member Posts: 32
    I currently own a 2003 DX (4-cyl). I love everything about it except for the engine. Unfortunetly the noisy and underpowered 2.0L engine spoils it. Basically it's a great car with a horrible engine. The 2005 model has a new 2.3L 153HP engine and EPA 24-29MPG.
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    I am looking at buying an suv. Has your purchase of the tribute been a good decision or would you go with the competition if you were to do it over. I've looked at jeeps, toyotas, mitsubishis etal. Can you recommend the tribute as a good choice to purchase? Thanks.