Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• smehdersmehder Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know what the rebates will be on the '05 Tributes in July?
  • trib2001esv6trib2001esv6 Member Posts: 2
    after i have my IAC sensor changed for stalling problem and PCM flashing/computer upgrade done... heard some annoying shuddering noises and hesitation during acceleration/deceleration.... the first Mazda service in one dealer was not able to fix it.... then brought it to the dealer where i bought it... and have the technician test drive it with me.... and found the noise is caused by uneven tire wear ...but Firestone doesn`t want to do something about it...

I HOPE THE DEALER/TECHNICIAN DID NOT LIE TO ME... they said he re-upgraded my PCM computer module... so far it fixes the problem.... NO LEMON this time...

ANY SUGGESTION FOR THE BEST TIRE... with AA grade... with less traction noise ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi trib2001esv6, and welcome to Town Hall!

First, uneven tire wear can be caused by a number of problems, including improperly balanced or rotated tires, or improperly and unevenly inflated tires, so there's no way to prove that the tires themselves were faulty - that's likely why they're not getting involved.

We have a couple of discussions dedicated to questions and advice about tires, so I'm going to suggest you visit one of them by clicking on my links:
    Ask Connor at The Tire Rack
    Tires, tires, tires

Good luck!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• doc1539doc1539 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at an 02 Tribute for our 20 yr old son. His previous Nissan was recently totaled in a rear ending accident that was not his fault. He wants something "cooler" this time since he will be driving it till he can afford his own next car!! He liked the looks a bit better than the Escape.

My concern is about all the problems people here seem to have had with this vehicle. We want something safe and reliable for him. Not something that will stall and die on the highway, which I read about. We ran a check on the VIN and it appears to have had all the recalls that were required taken care of. Does that mean it shouldn't have some of the problems people have mentioned??
    Are also considering a "safe" sedan for him.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    for Escape/Tribute. After having an 01 Escape XLT 4x4 with about 43,000 trouble free miles (mine) the wife wanted to dump the 00 Accord. She really like the styling of the Tribute. We bought an 04 Tribute ES 4x4 about a month ago now and its been fine. Granted its only been a month, but we have had it on several trips into Central Oregon and its been fine. Now that I can compare an 04 Tribute to an 01 Escape there are some differences. The Mazda feels tighter, more nimble, less road noise too. For those mentioning the V6 vs the 4cyl in the CRV... I can tell you. Get the V6! Mileage is about 2-3 miles per gallon advantage. However when you are going over mountains with a full load you will notice the difference between the power of the V6 and a 4cyl. Look at the weight of these vehicles vs HP/Torque ect.. Ford/Mazda made the right choice in having a small V6 available in these small utes...
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Will Mazda offer the '05 Tribute i with AWD and a manual transmission like Ford offers with the Escape?

I seems that the manual trasmission would fit with the "Zoom-Zoom" image that Mazda has been promoting lately. I prefer to row my own gears in smaller displacement engines ... and since Ford offers it on the Escape I don't see why Mazda couldn't do the same with the Tribute.

Just curious.
  • lynn1lynn1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in buying the new Mazda Tribute but am concerned about long-term reliability of Mazda. The car would be used for regular round the town & highway driving - no off-roading.

I saw 1 message on the board with positive feedback for long term ownership. Anyone else have any feedback on this top?

I am also looking at honda crv, but i'm thinking that mazda will deal more on the price so i'm hoping i can get the v6 for less than the top of line crv.

thanks.
  • norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    I have a 2002 ES V6. The tires still have plenty of tread. I've taken it in for oil changes, and they reset the computer for the one recall. But that's it. My old Mazda 626 had some problems after about 85,000 miles - clutch, distributor, abs sensor, but that was about it.
  • brennanleroybrennanleroy Member Posts: 1
    I need help!
    There is a hissing sound when the engine is running. It has gotten worse in the last week. When the brakes are depressed, it seems to kind-of go away. Obviously a vacuum leak, right? Is there a replaceable bushing or gasket on the interior side of the firewall.
    I had the brakes done a few weeks ago. But I don't think they touched the booster.
    Anyone heard of this issue?
    Thanks to all who respond,
    Brennan
  • otherplanetotherplanet Member Posts: 5
    2001 Automatic, 2WD, 90K miles, $8900. Is it a good deal? How many more miles I can drive on this truck?

Thanks.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    where is the spare tire located on a 2005 tribute?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Underneath the cargo bay outside of the vehicle. At least it is on the Escape anyway, and I'm assuming it's the same for the Trib.

It used to be under the cargo bay carpet inside the vehicle.
    i assume it is under the cargo bay like the 05 escape, but i read on a web site it was still like the 04,,,, unless the info was wrong. the tire was moved outside to accommidate the hybrid battery on the escape,,i wasn't sure about the tribute since there seems to be debate about the tribute getting the hybrid model.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The spare is no longer inside the vehicle it is outside underneath the cargo area. Similar to the Escape.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    ...and the Mazda will not be getting a hybrid version of the Tribute. However, Mercury will get a hybrid Mariner in the future. Might be next year but I'm not positive.
    I Have owned an 01 Escape XLT V6 4WD for 46,000 trouble free miles. Wife like the Escape so much she wanted a mini-ute too. One look at the Tribute is all it took. We now own an 04 Tribute ES V6 4wd with just over 3K and its fine. Tribute seems more sporty and tight. Interior a bit nicer also than my 01 Escape. If your going to only use it around town, not for towing or hauling maybe the new 2.3 would be better for you?
  • smehdersmehder Member Posts: 18
    I just replaced my '01 Tribute with a '05. Like most of the changes, but it looks like there is only one auxillary 12V outlet, between the seats. On my '01 there was also one in the cargo area. I really miss this one as I used to use my portable air compressor to pump up tires. Is there another other than the one between the seats, that I haven't found yet?
  • karenp1karenp1 Member Posts: 1
    Trying to decide on buying the 2005 Tribute....but need help!! Does anyone have a 4x4 version?? We have lots of snow that we drive through- and the concern is- that the 4x4 is "automatic" not "on demand" which worries me- that it might not "kick in" until after I get into the real deep snow. I'm just worried I'll get stuck in our driveway before it goes into 4 wheel drive.
    Can anyone give a good testament as to their 4x4, and how well it is in the "tough stuff"????
    Thanx
  • dbmrktrdbmrktr Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2001 Tribute in late 2000 and have been pretty happy with it. I've got 55K miles on it and my mechanic indicated that I would need a battery and alternator shortly. I expected to get about 4-5 years from a battery but didn't expect to replace the alternator any time soon. Do you think its legit? Any idea what an alternator should cost with installation?

Otherwise, I've had no problems with the car. Did have to replace brakes and tires in the 35K mile range. Overall gas mileage with the V6 has been 19 - mix of highway and city driving.
  • dcgdcg Member Posts: 4
    Yes! My 2004 /same model does the same thing. dcg
  • kmm1974kmm1974 Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering if anyone owns the 4-cyl 2005 Tribute? I'm thinking of buying one future and would like to know what others think of it compared to the V6. Thanks.
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    I gave up/sold my 2001 mazda tribute es-vg, had only 43000 miles on it. We had our share of problems, the worst and most irritating was the rattles, which got fixxed with the lubricant that only lasted abt 2 months. I was liek maybe im driving my vehicle rough, WRONG, i have a 2001 maxima that i love putting through it paces, and its as tight as a drum, knock on wood. It was a good car, and for the 4 x 4 comment, its a good system it will help u on the slippery stuff - has the transfer of power to the front wheels, and 05 models have a electornic instead of clutch system which takes half the time now to catch the spinning wheel. LISTEN HERE: upgrade ur tires - we got the duelher a/t which had an agressive thred - could tell the difference rite away. Hopefully all u tribute owners stay happy, i just feel like this car was a shine car - dont think it can last beyond 90k miles, b/c of all the cost cutting that went into it when it launched(just look at the plastic, and look under the car prob already rusted. BUT one thing i must say is that it is amazing to drive - u forget abt everything else when u go into the corners
    Why do you say this?? I have an 01 Escape XLT 4x4 V6 that has 46,000 trouble free miles and it is still "solid"? I use it to visit the skii slopes and tow my two watercraft along with visiting my fishing spots. We were so happy with the Escape, the wife liked the Trib so we bought an 04 Trib ES V6 4x4 and with just over 4K it has not one issue. Sorry for your bad experience...
  • zmariezmarie Member Posts: 6
    Looking to buy an 05 Tribute-S 6 cyl (husband insists on the 6 cyl). My question is, does one really need the more costly 4x4 or is it something that good marketing has lead us to believe that we need? I have been driving small front wheel drive autos for many years and with good tires have had minimal difficulty in snow...living in southwest lower Michigan. Don't do any off roading nor do I plan to. From what I understand insurance also goes up for 4x4 vehicles. So far I am looking at the above auto with cloth seats and side curtain air bags and we are at about $22,000 using the a supplier discount. I have owned 2 Mazda Proteges, both built in Japan, with no major problems, so I am hopeful that the Tribute will give the same level of carefree ownership. Any and all comments welcome.
    Sounds like you really don't need the 4x4. If you have been driving front wheel drive vehicles all this time in the snow the Trib will handle just fine. The extra weight of the V6 may help some in the snow. May want to buy some studded tires just in case. I don't know about any restrictions of chains on the front wheel drive Tribs. What is the price difference between a 4x4 and 4x2 Trib V6? Resale may be a bit better on the 4x4?
  • jaydevjaydev Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone offer suggestions on the type of front brake pads for an 03 Tribute ES V6 - 4x4? I have only 24,000 miles on the vehicle and the dealer told me the front brakes are shot. The rotors were also beyond repair and they replaced those under warranty. However, I did not want to pay for the same junk brake pads from Mazda.
    Checked out Mazda's site and the price difference between 2wd vs 4wd is $1500. Checked on the insurance difference and it amounts to about $20. every six months. I have thought about resale as well, but barring unforeseen problems, at this point I or my husband would be driving the car for 7-10 years. He drove his old Corsica for 15 years and I have had my Protege for 7, so we tend to keep our vehicles for the long haul. I have to wonder how often the 4wd is used if one is a careful driver and drives for conditions...is the added cost and upkeep for the system really worth it? To my knowledge most minivans are fwd and they seem to get around ok...there are a lot of them on the road at any rate.
    By the way, the price I quoted in my first post included the $2000. Mazda rebate as well as the supplier discount.
    Thanks for the response.
    if i were you i would buy the FWD tribute and save the money. if you have had minimal transpotation problems with your current autos there is no reason to expect anything different with the fwd tribute. one advantage you have with the trib aver your cars is the trib has more ground clearence, less apt to drag on the snow or get hung up. buying the fwd over the awd is the fwd will get better gas mileage,,fewer moving parts to service or replace, lower purchase price, and lower insurance costs. add all these up over the time you expect to drive the auto and you will find it's a good chunk of change. i beleive the push of awd is over done.my therory is if it's so bad out that you need awd,4x4 to get somewhere ,,,, you don't really need to go anyway. stay home till the weather/roads clear. i bought a 00 chevy silverado 4x2. i told the salesman that i thought 4x4 was over sold in many cases. he said yes and he knew of many situations where people had traded in 4x4 for new 4x4 and had never engaged the 4x4 system. he felt it was a case of "keeping up with the Jones's". now if you live in a rural setting, no paved roads, have livestock to tend to, then maybe you should consider 4x4. otherwise forget it and put the money back in your pocket.
    i am glad to see you want the side curtain airbags. good choice.
    rah
  • jenfavrejenfavre Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 trib, just got it 3 weeks ago. i love it! one odd thing though, the trip odometer keeps reverting back to the overall odometer every time i turn off the car. if i want to see the trip odometer, i have to push the button again when i restart the car. is this normal??
    Sorry that I can't answer your question, but I do have a few questions for you if you don't mind.
    Did you purchase the v6, and if so what kind of gas mileage are you getting? Could you give a ball park figure on what you paid for your Trib with whatever options you had added?
    I think that I have decided to add option 1 with side curtain air bags to mine which will take me to about $23,000 taking advantage of the $2000 cash back.
    This is common with both the Escape and the Tribute. Don't forget however that brake wear is based upon how a person drives the vehicle. Don't go to the dealership! they will put on the same garbage and for 2x the price. Call around get quotes. I have heard Raybestos puts out a great quality, low dust pad along with rotors and for less$$ than a dealership. Ask a Midas or Meinke or Pep Boys shop for a quote...
  • jenfavrejenfavre Member Posts: 2
    i purchased the v6 FWD with option package 1 and the homelink mirror. it also came with foglights, side boards and the rear bumper step. i paid $24k out the door. i think the figure was close to $22k before tax, license, etc. shop around and get the best price you can. then take it to your dealer. that's what i did and they gladly matched it. i don't drive very much at all (under 5000 miles/yr) so i don't expect to get good gas mileage. being that i've only gone about 500 miles total i can't really estimate. i think i got around 300 miles on my first tank. i'm still working on the second.

if anyone has an answer to my previous question about the trip odometer, please let me know. it's driving me batty!
  • lanceflancef Member Posts: 8
    Zmarie, we purchased the V6 and are getting the advertised MPG of 20 city/25 highway. Love the V-6 power.

Ours was a 2005 Mazda Tribute S FWD with the following: package 2, side air curtains, side step tubes, cargo net. Price: $21,600 before TTL which includes the $2000 rebate.
    Thanks to all that have responded to my questions. Keep it coming! It is really helpful to be equipped with this info when you head to the dealer. From what I see I'm thinking I should give no more than $22,000 for V6 FWD with option 1 and side curtain air bags. We do get our share of snow here, but I think that the FWD will get around just fine.
    Again, thanks to all that have taken the time to respond to my questions. The information that you have supplied will greatly assist us in our effort to get the most bang for our buck in our negotiations with the dealer.
  • jchandrajchandra Member Posts: 12
    Just picked up my 2005 Mazda Tribute V6 FWD last friday. Overall the quality seems to have increased over my 2001 Tribute. The ride is much smoother and quieter. Love the sunroof and the 200 watts 7 speaker system.
    I want to get rear mud flaps; but the dealer told me that there are none available for the 2005's in the Beige colour.
    Does anyone know if this is true. I live in the GTA Toronto area.
    Any comments welcome.
    he meant right now no mud guards are available. It may take 6 months for parts/accessories to catch up to the 05 line-up. Keep searching the internet for OEM parts you can get great deals. Also, most dealerships will match internet prices if you prove to them it is OEM. They will add on any shipping charges also....
  • rsanclementersanclemente Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Tribute is around the 34k miles and today I went for the regular maintenance and inspection. They found the brake pads to be 20% and they are going to change them. But the dealer told me that besides changing pads, they have to change the brake discs too because the brake system of the tributes when replacing brake pads need also to chage discs everytime. Its the first time I have ever heard this. I think is "BS" can anyone advice me on this?
    Stop!@!@ don't go to a dealership for brake jobs! They charge you $100's of dollars more than a Midas or Firestone...
    Yes, it is true that both the pads and rotors on
    Escapes/Tribs need to be changed. The factory ones are not the greatest. However, you can get aftermarket pads and rotors installed for much lower than at a dealership. The dealership will put on the cheap factory stuff so you will have to do this again in 35K miles..
    Shop around.. Hope its not too late...
  • lauraslauras Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased 2005 Tribute that was used as a demo model, it only has about 5500 miles. It came with a 6 cd changer. The other day the speakers stopped working. I don't get any sound when trying to use the CD or the radio. It can scan for and find radio channels and the CD works fine but just no sound. I tried checking the fuses, they all looked OK. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks in advance.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Does anybody know what are the current rebates on '05 Tribute? Edmunds doesn't show anything but the $500 current college grad, OTH carsdirect shows this "Special Pricing Hurry-Offer expires" link with no specific details; their price is about $1,400 below invoice.
    This should be covered by warranty ... I'd let the dealer worry about it (and take advantage of Mazda guaranteed alternate transportation while the're working on it!)
    I canot remember what the button sequence is on the radio. Look in your owners manual for the CD/Radio and you will find a sequence of buttons to push to test speakers..
    Looks like the $2000 rebate expired for the 05 Tributes; (mazdausa.com). It appears that the Ford Escapes still have the $1500 rebates going.
    Interesting...
    I'm just trying to understand how one would explain carsdirect.com "Special Pricing Hurry-Offer expires" $1,500 offer below INVOICE ?
    Side note: when I bought my Mazda Millenia S in July 2000, Edmunds was NOT showing $4,000 rebate in effect at that time.
    What do you think, lancef?
    Thanks for the suggestion but I could not seem to locate the page in my manual that you mentioned. Can you help me out? I would appreciate it.

I have made an appointment at my dealer here in NJ but I have to wait 3 weeks in order to get a loner car. (Which I think is ridiculous and they conveniently forgot to mention when I was purchasing the vehicle).
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    I got my 02 Tribute at East Coast Mazda, in Hasbrouk Heights. They use rentals as loaner cars, so there is no wait. Where did you buy your Tribute?
    I bought my Tribute at Grecco Mazda in Denville. The next nearest Mazda is in Wayne which is about a 45 minute drive in the opposite direction of where I need to travel.
    Don't know! That's why I checked the current rebates on the Mazda USA site. Sometimes Edmunds lags a little on the current rebate offers.
  • norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    I am kind of disappointed that they dropped the 4 wheel lock button. My 02 Tribute has this feature and I have only used it once when I didn't want to slide sideways since I was parked on ice on a slant and didn't want to hit the other vehicle. The lock isn't required for snowy roads etc. It's for getting unstuck or pulling another vehicle out of a snow bank. It locks all wheels so that they all turn at the same rate, and this can't be done on corners with traction. If you're not on dry sand, solid ice, etc. then it causes problems when you turn your wheels. I guess too many drivers were using this feature and thought their vehicle was skipping and bumping for no good reason, when it's really because they shouldn't have locked the wheels, since this prevents you from turning on dry on non-super-slick surfaces. It's too bad that drivers didn't understand this feature so it had to be dropped.
  • vangroovyvangroovy Member Posts: 5
    It got dropped in favour of a new faster system ,not becasue people couldn't work the old system.You won't even feel the new system enagage its so fast/smooth. I can't get my wheels to spin no matter what surface on my 05.

Tried grass, wet pavement, gravel, looking forward to snow.