Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• nfldrocknfldrock Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the welcome, what would you consider good tires for the tribute?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ah, best let a Tribute owner reply. Or try a Search This Discussion. We also have a dedicated tire discussion (Tires, tires, tires).

Steve, Host
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I too feel you'll be fine. Just get either/or both a good set of tires/snow/studded tires for winter driving. The Continentals are not that great of a tire for traction.
  • murocflyermurocflyer Member Posts: 20
    Try ebay first. I got two for the price of one ($20.50) Make sure you look for part number 000-8M-G01 and you'll be fine. Just don't pay more than what it would cost new at the dealer including shipping and you'll both make out.
  • rfrfrfrf Member Posts: 31
    Does the ABS sound the same when it actually engages in a driving situation as it does during the self test?
  • mo4mo4 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Tribute V6 with 20000 miles. Gas mileage is awful, average 14-15, worst 12 best on real easy highway trip was 21-22. Going to sell it as mpg is so bad!!! Had it checked twice at Mazda!!!

Comments
    Wow, your MPG is bad. My wifes 04 ES V6 is averaging about 18 between city/highway. On a steady cruising speed of 75MPH I got a solid 23MPG.. Don't blame you for wanting to get rid of it with these gas prices...
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Has it always been so low? Do you have a lead foot? My 05 (AWD S with V6) is around 18mpg mixed and nearly 24hwy (and I do have a lead foot!)..
    These V6's are a blast to put your foot into.. and you will pay.... :P
  • andy05andy05 Member Posts: 2
    Just a heads up for anyone in the Indianapolis/Planefield area I strongly urge anyone considering purchasing a vehicle from Hubler Mazda West not to at this dealership, also avoid the service dept. I have a 05 Tribute and the engine had to be replaced at 4700 miles while on a trip. Needless to say the service I recieved was less than complimentry. It took 3 weeks for them to "fix" the vehicle and that was with the district rep involved. When it was delivered to me I took it to the dealership I purchased it at in Oklahoma, because it was delivered to me with body damage, a cracked winshield and the ABS light was on so I had them check out the workmanship. Now it has been in the shop almost 6 weeks with a laundry list of things wrong with it. From a exhaust leak, wrong coolant, oil leak because they had used an aftermarket one brake lines mis routed heater hoses mis routed
    heater hoses mis routed wiring mis routed causing the speed sensor to fail. Needless to say I have been in contact with the area rep for my area and the one over the indianapolis area. Im currently working on getting Mazda to buy back the vehicle. One way or another im getting rid of the vehicle and buying a NISSAN Pathfinder. Oh and If anyone needs to get in touch with the rep over the Indiana area I have his address and phone number.
  • j647j647 Member Posts: 4
    Where can I get a cargo cover? besides the dealer.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Ihttp://www.partscheap.com/forda.htm

They have the retractable cover at the lowest price for new that I have seen.

What I want to find is an Escape with the front end totaled, so I can get the recent rear storage compartment out of it.
    Wow! So in the 4700 miles that you owned the vehicle, your 05 Tribute was in the shop for approximately 9 weeks! That is crazy, and I do not blame you for asking for a dealer buyback. Sounds like this dealer needs to pick another career...
  • sloridesloride Member Posts: 1
    Have 2001 Tribute V6 with 40,000 mi. Have recently been hearing a barely audible low pitch ringing sound,similar to a ringing in ones ear. It happens at speed and idle intermittently and then goes away. My wife hears it also so Its not my ears. Can not pin point it, but want to say its coming from between the seats or center dash area. At idle I tap the brake and it stops. Some days its there others not. Have not taken it in yet, any one else or ideas?
    Dealerships can really make or break a deal. Why did the engine fail at 4,700miles? They should have given you a reason. These days engines just don't fail. Manufacturing of engines is completly different from 10 years ago. If your engine failed all the 3.0 engines should be failing in all Escapes and Tributes at about 5,000 miles. You still have a good case for the dealership to buy this vehicle back from you. Keep fighting, they will do everything in thier power to disuade you. Talk to a lawyer now....
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    talking to lawyer won't be helpful yet...unless you like giving them money for nothing..

1...in many cases the dealership may not be able to tell why the engine failed unless they completely tear it apart, and they won't be doing that. The failed engine will get shipped back to mazda and they will tear it down. Engines, like anything have a certain failure rate..for any number of reasons. We have found that if there is going to be a total failure it often happens sooner than later.

2. The dealership does not buy back cars. The manufacturer buys back cars if it meets the states lemon law requirements. one failed and replaced engine isnt enough to trigger lemon law. The consumer should keep detailed records of all service records and repairs. If the consumer has multiple repairs for the same item, then lemon laws may very well apply, but if the consumer does not keep all records it may not be easy...

3. Does the consumers state have arbitration or not? if it gets to this, then a lawyer may help..but they don't come free and many states don't require the manufacturer to pay for the lawyer...some states make lemon law easy for the consumer and some don't. The owners manual/portfolio should have a booklet that has each states lemon law info.
  • gaspig1gaspig1 Member Posts: 3
    I just recently purchased a 2001 Tribute ES. Its got the V6, leather, moonroof, the works.

I love absolutely everything about this SUV, although, I havent had a chance to try the 4WD out yet as we have not had any snow since I bought it.

My only problem with it is the gas mileage. I am averaging 13 MPG in the city, about 18 MPG on the highway. This thing is costing me a fortune to drive. I've tried fuel injector cleaners, gas additives and stuff like that. Nothing helps. Mileage has not gotten better at all. I drive it like a little old lady in hopes of improving the mileage.... nada.

Also, on occasion, when I start it, the engine revs really hard for about 30 seconds, its almost like the gas pedal is stuck down. It doesnt happen every time, but often enough to cause some concern.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?? Any suggestions on how to improve the mileage? At this rate, I just may have to get rid of it to get something more economical. :cry:
  • rsworderrsworder Member Posts: 1
    Anyone had experience towing a boat with a Tribute. Factory says rated up to
    3500 lbs but would it be safe and even able to get boat and trailer out of water
    with 2 wheel drive?

Ron
  • ryukyuryukyu Member Posts: 12
    I have recently looked at the Mazda Tribute and thought I found exactly what I wanted, but a couple of things are a little dismaying.

First of all, I want a manual transmission. No cruise control is available with a manual transmission. Does anybody have any experience with adding a cruise control, and if so, how is it?

Second, I can't seem to locate a 4 cyl, 4WD, manual trans. model within 200 miles of western NY. Are these that hard to come by? I really don't like auto transmissions, and unfortunately my options are very limited by wanting a manual, regardless of what manufacturer I look at.

Cheers!!
    4 cyl with 4wd and manual trans are very very rare in the northeast. We have several orders that we couldnt fill via locates and they eneded up ordering 2006's.
    Does that mean that they will be producing 4x4 with manual trannys in the 2006 model?
    I was told today that Mazda has discontinued them all together.
    Now let me ask this as well. How effective is the front wheel drive in the snows that we get up here in the northeast? How much better will a 4x4 be for this? Is it really noticeable or is it negligible?
    In other words, what would you prefer?
    I've had other 4x4 vehicles, but never had a FWD vehicle that I've driven in the snow and ice.
    When I began shopping for a Tribute back in November I initially looked at FWD 5 speeds. They were tough enough to find, but there were a couple within a short distance of me. I then decided to attempt to locate one with AWD The local Ford dealer had an Escape AWD with a stick, as did another dealer nearby. But Tributes were like hen's teeth. I did a search on Mazda's site from Florida to New England, and found one in Fairfax, Va. It was the color I wanted, and I ran over there the day after Thanksgiving, and got it. It's not as light on its feet as the FWD was, but I am pleased. The last time I did the search, there were absolutely none around. I just hit 700 miles on it (still need to sell the Honda), and apart from crunching 3rd gear from time to time, it is a nice ride. If that continues, I'll have it looked at. I nearly caved and bought one with an automatic. That would have been my first automatic in over 30 years. Thank goodness I did the search when I did.
    As for cruise, again, Ford gets the nod. You can get cruise with a 5 speed Escape. I asked the Ford dealership about purchasing the components from them, and having them do the installation. I was told the cost would be through the roof.
    I spoke to a local dealer and he told me that there were 2 Tributes available with manual, 4 cyl. and 4WD in the northeast.
    When he placed the call to find out about getting one he was informed that Mazda had bought them back and is discontinuing the production of these. So bottom line is that I can't get one. That leaves me wih having to decide to get an automatic (which probably means V6) or a FWD 4 banger with manual.
    There are several disadvantages from my point of view with the Fords. The warranty is not as good, and the list of standard equipment is not as good. The incentives right now are nowhere near as good.
    Tough decisions.
    Has anybody spent much time with a FWD model in the snow??
    Why is Mazda buying them back? I wonder if there is an issue with the vehicle I should be concerned about. Thus far, mine has been just fine, but again, I have hardly used it. Maybe I have another collector's item to park alongside the other ones I don't drive.....my driveway can't handle any more monuments.

My local dealer may still have a 4 cyl automatic AWD on the lot.
    4 cyl with an auto is a little tough but they can be found....

I have 2006's on order that have been accepted so they arent canceled yet.....but I expect the very limited availability to continue. If you want one you should get your order in by this thursday. This is when this months allocation runs...
    I was looking for the 4 cyl., manual trans, and 4WD. That's what's been discontinued.
    I drove a 4 cyl. auto trans today. I wouldn't really recommend it. It was pretty sluggish compared to the 4 cyl., manual, FWD. The auto with V6 was nice though.
    My issue is that I want a manual transmission so I guess I will have to settle for FWD instead of 4WD.
    The local dealer's guess is that Mazda has had problems with the manuals with 4WD. Makes me wonder about the Escapes with the same setup.
    I think the Mazdas are nicer than the Fords. Better incentives and better value IMHO.
    New question: Does anybody know why Mazda only offers cruise control with auto trannys? Is there any reason that the factory cruise won't work with a manula tranny??
    I contacted Mazda USA yesterday to ask about the 4 cyl / 5 spd / AWD topic being discussed here. I have an interest, since that is what I bought back in November. The guy I was speaking with checked with Product Development, and told me there was no buy back on those models. He did not have any information regarding any issues, and said he would contact me if he learned of any. Naturally I am still looking to investigate further. So if anyone has any concrete documentation regarding this, I would appreciate receiving it. Thus far, I have had no problems with mine, but then, I have not yet turned 700 miles. I did notice that the Denver, CO dealers have loads of 4 cyl automatic AWDs, but no sticks. So there must be something going on.

I will say that the FWD 5 speed was more lively than mine is, but perhaps not by much. I am sure the gas mileage is better with the FWD.
    I called Mazda USA today and did not get an answer, but the guy I talked to said he would look into it and give me a call back.
    I want to find out if maybe the local dealer just doesn't want to be bothered so he can sell something that's already sitting on his lot.
    When I hear back from him, I will let you kno what he says.
    I understand your concern and hope that this is just misinformation.
    I can tell you with 100% certantly that the folks at 1-800 mazda know nothing about product developement or anything else that is going on with the operational side of things....The only things they might know and the only things they can discuss are item's essentially found in a brochure.
    If you hear anything concrete, I'd appreciate that information. Who knows, maybe I have an EBay item here.... I ran it up to 4000 rpm today. I'll go for redline when it hits 1000 miles. It's averaging about 22 mpg. I guess that's not so bad, but I had hoped for a bit more. I would imagine the FWD would improve upon that by about 3 mpg. What I continue to find interesting is that the vehicle does not gain speed at all, and even slows a tad, while coasting down the "mountain" in neutral on the interstate. Keeping it in fifth gear in that situation is like applying the brakes. Aerodynamics plays a role with that I am sure, but I am wondering if the AWD system has lots of frictional component drag. As I am beginning to drive it in my normal style ( read: treat it like a fun car ), I am finding it is in fact a fun SUV.
    Do you have access to any information that you can share??
    I can confirm that mazda corp grabbed a couple of the few remaining manual trans tributes from dealers in the northeast region. I don't have any idea why.. We have not had any specific problems with the vehicle or the ford version that would call for something drastic like buying unsold vehicles...My guess is they needed them for something very specific that isnt related to mechanical problems with the vehicle. If it was mechanical the word would be all over like a bad rash.
    Does anybody know if the factory stereo in the 2005 Tribute have an auxiliary jack in the back? Or perhaps a CD changer port?
    I'm talking about the regular one with the four speakers.
    I would like to be able to hook up an iPod, and I'm trying to find the best way to do this, but it's not easy finding info on the factory stereo, particularly since I don't own a Tribute yet.
    Thanks for any info you can supply.
    By the way, the guy from Mazda USA called back and basically said they had no knowledge of the buy backs and could not find out anything either. I think it was BS because when I originally called he claimed that they had a program where they could look within a radius that I defined from where I live and check stock on a vehicle that I was looking for. When I asked about this after the call back, he said that he couldn't do that.
    I think audia8q is right though that if there was a problem, it would be out by now. I never got an answer about whether a 4 cyl, manual, 4WD version would be available as a 2006 model.
    As I put more miles on my "rare" Tribute, the 4 cyl, 5 speed 4WD, I am liking it more and more. While there is not a lot of reserve power, it will run 80 mph up the slight mountains between Frederick and Hagerstown, MD with no sweat. Just don't ask it to then accelerate to that speed from 60 mph in the middle of the climb. Gas mileage with about a 60/40 city / highway split is on the order of 23 mpg. I am looking for that to improve.
    Right now my biggest gripe of all things is the unbelievable amount of static shock I receive when getting out of the vehicle. It snaps and hurts like heck. Must be the tire compound I guess. I need to remember the procedure for getting out of a vehicle prone to that.
    The other complaint is the brake dust on the front wheels. Even though it is under warranty, I will probably switch to a ceramic pad.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I can remember way back when....you could purchase an anti-static strap that attached to the underside of the vehicle and (I guess) grounded the car against same.They might still sell same (Pep Boys, AutoZone)????
    I was thinking about those as well this weekend. Shades of JC Whitney
  • lothar23lothar23 Member Posts: 2
    After much searching, I found my FWD, Manual, 4 Cyl '05 Tribute. I wanted something roomy that would handle well in in the snow (and some minor off-roading) and would get good gas mileage. So far, I am only disappointed in the gas mileage (after 10K mi, I consistently get 24mi/gal, and that's probably 75/25 hwy/city). Best I've seen is 27, and that was all Hwy. Don't know what's going on there.

Handles great in the snow, though. A little too well, it's hard to play around.

I had cruise installed for about $300 through the dealer. A little steep, but I factored it into the negotiation at sale time.

Overall great ride, but I would love to know where the 29 mpg hwy is.
    I just picked up my new Trib tonight as well. Same setup as you.
    Just curious about the cruise. Is it a factory Mazda one, or is it an aftermarket cruise? I would really like to have the steering wheel controls instead of another stalk.
    It really is a very nice vehicle.
    Do the newest Tributes have the rear storage compartment Ford began installing on Escapes around December? I have not been by a dealer to check.

I rarely use cruise, but if I could get the "factory" setup for $300, I would.

I did finally install the bug deflector I bought for mine last year. Wouldn't it be nice if that increased gas mileage...... very doubtful. Based on my results to date, I doubt I'll ever see 30 mpg out of it, at least not in my local terrain. Next install is the casette deck I have laying around as well.

The vehicle is certainly more fun to drive now that I am nearly past my standard break-in of 1000 miles. I'll go for redline this weekend.
    I'm not sure what rear storage compartment you mean, but mine has the compartment where the jack is stored and a sort of pocket on each side with elastic netting .

I called to ask if anybody knew if the factory cruise would work with a manual model. They said they didn't know, but that I should talk to someone in parts. The guys in parts had no clue. They said tat they guessed not because Mazda didn't offer it as a factory option. When I asked what they thought would keep it from working, they said they didn't know. Anybody know of any good reason why an aftermarket one would work, but not the factory one??
    When Ford moved the spare tire to the outside this year, they did so in order to provide space for the battery pack on the hybrid Escape. That eliminated the compartment under the load floor in back, where the tire had been. That was one of my "complaints" with the new design, in not having a sizable hidden storage area. And apparently others felt the same way, because in December, Ford began to offer an optional under floor storage compartment on the Escape, on all but the Hybrids. When I checked to see how that was accomplished, I saw that under the carpet in mine is a board of sorts to which a 3 inch thick or so piece of styrofoam type material is bonded. That entire structure bolts in in four places. It looks like they simply designed a shallow bolt-in tray with lid to take the place of the piece I now have. So it can go into any 2005 model. I was not sure if Mazda has begun offering it as well.

As for cruise, it is offered on the 4 cyl 5 speed Escape from the factory
    Well, my Tribute has the same thing as yours under the carpet. If it is offered, it was never brought up to me. Maybe it's available in the S and not the i models?

I already checked witha local guy about putting a Ford Escape cruise in the Tribute and he said it would work, but that he can't seem to be able to get the kits from Ford.
    Does anyone know if you can install a CD changer with the factory radio??
  • nfldrocknfldrock Member Posts: 5
    I was thinking of getting this for my trib, does anyone know what colours they come in? I asked the dealer 2 days and they have not gotten back to me yet.
  • mphxazmphxaz Member Posts: 27
    I've got one on my 05 Trib and I'm only aware of it coming in the dark grey. You can see one on the mazdausa web site under Tribute accessories.
    :)
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    i noticed the sant fe and crv have front and rear sway bars while the tribute has front only. does anyone make a rear sway bar for the tribute? would the lack of a rear sway bar have any effect on the rollover test the gov't performed? they said the escape/tribute/mariner tipped and lifted a rear wheel. do i have all of this correct? just curious
    thanks
    I purchased my Silver 05 Mazda Tribute S V6 AWD (leather, sunroof, heated seats, auto-dimming mirror w/compass, 6 disc changer) back in November and wanted to provide a quick update now that I have close to 6K miles....

So far, I have not regretted my decision to purchase this vehicle for a second. It has handled all of the inclement weather mother nature has thrown at it and has had no major issues to date. The only problem that I had was with an airbag light which came on. Dropped it off at the dealer on my way to work and they gave me a loaner for the day until they replaced the sensor.

- Love the heated leather seats. The seats in this car are more comfortable than the seats I have owned in more expensive vehicles. The leather so far still looks brand new and seems to be of good quality.
    - Stereo sounds great, and while it is not quite as nice as the Bose radio in my 02 Nissan Altima, I have no complaints. The sub woofer sounds good, and I like the 6 disc changer.
    - Cabin layout. For a "compact" SUV this vehicle has a ton of legroom and cargo space. I have had to use the vehicle for hauling multiple times, and it has come in handy. Many of my friends are shocked when they ask me how much I paid for it after they have ridden in it. Love the big sunroof, and use it all the time.
    - Fit and finish. Overall, no complaints. Not one rattle, squeak, or weird sound coming from the vehicle. As I said, the leather is of good quality and seems to be wearing very well. I find the plastics to be of good quality, but could do without the black marble-like trim.
    - AWD and seating position. Although our winter was not as brutal as past winters, I loved the way the Tribute handled the snow, ice, and rain. I live up a pretty steep hill and this vehicle has no issues negotiating the climb (as opposed to some of my neighbors, and my Altima!). I love the fact that AWD kicks in whenever you need it and am very impressed with this system. I have been offroad in my friends 05 Escape, and these things have no problem with moderate to mild offroading.
    - Seating position. This is my first SUV, and I have to be honest, I love sitting up higher in this vehicle as opposed to my Altima. This was supposed to be my wife's vehicle, but I have been primarily driving it since purchase and I really prefer sitting up higher. Can't imagine not owning SUV's from here on out...
    - Handling and performance. Love the V6 and although the mpg could be a little better, I would not trade it on a 4 cylinder any day! This thing moves! I was surprised how quick this vehicle is (my Altima is very fast with a 245hp V6 engine), and how well it handles. One of the primary reasons for purchasing the Tribute, after driving everything else, was the handling and power of the V6 engine. The automatic transmission is flawless and does not have any issues trying to hunt for the right gear. Love to drive this vehicle, Mazda did a great job in engineering this vehicle. Zoom zoom is no joke!
    - Looks. I think the Tribute is an attractive SUV and has a good mix of ruggedness and curves. I struggled with the bland styling of the Honda CRV, and Subaru Forester, and really am happy with the looks of this vehicle. I think this vehicle will age well, and still look good in three years.
    - Value. With the incentives, I was able to purchase my loaded Tribute for less than the Escape, CRV, and other vehicles in its class. This vehicle, to me, was the best balance of features, functionality, roominess, cargo capacity, and performance for the money...

Dislikes:
    - MPG. Okay, I know I bought a V6 and while I am averaging between 18-21mpg, now that gas prices have gone up I wish the vehicle had a 5 speed auto transmission to help improve both performance and mpg. Like I said, I still would not trade it in for a 4 cylinder, and the hybrid Escape is still too much $$.
    - Placement of the seat heater switch. C'mon Mazda.. You could have placed these switches in a much better location. I am now used to the location, but still think this is poor engineering.
    - Sirius radio. The term "Sirius Ready" is a joke. It costs several hundred more dollars to actually receive the Sirius signal and then the monthly fee. They should wither reduce the cost of the antenna/receiver, or include it to really make it ready.
    - Radio controls on the steering wheel. I am spoiled with my Altima. I still hunt for the radio controls in the Tribute and think this would be a great addition.

So far, those are my only complaints, and are pretty mild. I am really impressed with the Tribute, and am very pleased with my purchase. Browns Alexandria Mazda (Alexandria Virginia) has treated me wonderfully and I definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a Mazda. Set the price on the Tribute through their Internet sales manager and was able to buy the vehicle at 4K under invoice (after 4K in incentives). They also gave me Kelly Blue Book value on my trade-in, after some negotiation. Service department has been friendly and courteous.

If you are shopping for a small SUV, you have to drive the Tribute..
  • pokerqueenpokerqueen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Mazda Tribute LX and I have been experiencing the stalling on it. Had it in the shop 5 times for it and talked with Mazda consumer rep. Does anyone know what my options are?
  • sweswe Member Posts: 8
    I've been trying to get mudguards for my 2005 Tribute, dealer tells me that OEM rear mudguards where available for the 2004 Tribute, but nothing shows up for 2005 on their computer.

I like to get the molded kind for both front and rear with the color matching my unpainted graphite grey bumper and moldings.

Does anyone know a good brand that would fit and a good place to have these installed? (I'm not much of a mechanic)
    I live in the Vancouver (Canada) area and if anyone can give me some pointers it would be really appreciated.

THANKS
    Wait! don't buy aftermarket Please! In my experience it is rare aftermarket add-ons fit right or look right. I own an 04 Tribute ES with Graphite gray bumpers/molding. I see no real reason why the 04 would not fit the 05? The main body design was not changed as far as I know and can see. Just some minor tweaks here and there by Mazda. See if the parts person is willing to let you hold an 04 mud guard up against your vehicle to see if it will fit. Ohterwise, keep hunting and looking around the internet. They will be available, its only a matter of time. I put on Mazda molded mud guards on my wifes Trib and the look and fit great...