Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

1303132333436»

Comments

• tony65tony65 Member Posts: 1
    you need to check the idle air control valve
  • famleof5famleof5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 tribute - If it sits outside on "cold days" for 8 hours it is hard to start. I have to depress the gas pedal 3 or 4 times befor it finaly starts? Only does it on very cold days 20 degrees or lower and only does it after it sits for about 8 hours?
  • woeismewoeisme Member Posts: 1
    can anyone help ? Want to check computer codes on an '01 Tribute
    is there a list of computer codes posted anywhere?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Wife and I have an 04 Tribute V6 loaded with leather, sunroof all the bells and whistles. We now have about 50,000 trouble free miles on this vehicle. We use it, or should I say, I use it as an SUV and not just a station wagon. It tows our water craft, visits the Cascade range for skiing and finding fishing spots. Great little SUV! very reliable. Time for tires however, the Continentals are ready for change out. I had some preventative maintenance done at a cost of about $275. I had the transmission flushed, brake fluid flush, steering flushed. Tribute runs like a champ and has proven to be very reliable! I would highly reccommend.. :)
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I'm looking at them for next year, its good to hear thanks !
  • mkl2209mkl2209 Member Posts: 5
    My grandson apparently ram-loaded a CD into the factory in-dash 6-disc unit of my '02 Tribute. Pushing the eject button brings about a 6-7 second delay (while displaying OUT), then the unit shuts off. Pushing the load button only displays "WAIT" (the part he didn't grasp at age 5!), then shuts off the unit.

Anyone have any tricks to release the CD's inside, or ever run into this predicament??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The tricks mostly work with single disc CD players, but you don't have anything to lose before going to the dealer or local audio shop.

How to Remove a Stuck CD
  • mkl2209mkl2209 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you!
    Let us know if pulling the fuse or anything else works.

btw, I deleted your duplicate posts - owners tend to read all the new posts in various discussions anyway.
  • timroxxtimroxx Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 tribute and the ac won't disengage. I push the button and push the button and nothing happens! If I HOLD the button it goes off, but as soon as i release it, it comes back on. Very frustrating in the wintertime. I just found this forum and you guys are great! Any ideas?? :confuse:
  • cartscarts Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tribute. Today during an oil change they informed me my left license plate light was out and that they would replace it for $12.95. Thinking it was not rocket science and that the price was outrageous, I declined. After I left I pulled into our local auto parts store and purchased two bulbs for $1.99. Easy, right? Not so...I cannot remove the cover from the bulb to get to it. I pulled out my Owner's Manual and it gives directions to remove two screws. However, my '03 does not have them. I guess the directions were not updated for that part, The lamps are covered by a plastic piece that has an arrow, indicating you might slide it to remove? I slid it, but cannot get it off. At the risk of breaking something, or being forced to pay $13, can someone give me a tip on how to take care of this? I'm no mechanic, but it sure seems like I should be able to do this. Any help would be great! Thanks. Diane
  • srvivor87srvivor87 Member Posts: 9
    New or enhanced for 2009(Tribute):

* New 2.5L iVTC 4 cylinder engine with 171 horsepower and 171 lb-ft of torque
    * Improved 3.0L V6 engine with 240 horsepower and 223 lb-ft of torque
    * New 6 speed automatic transmission
    * Three new exterior colors – White Suede, Brilliant Silver, and Sport Blue
    * Satellite radio on Grand Touring
    * Steering wheel audio controls on Touring and Grand Touring
    * Redesigned front and rear seats
    * Electrochromatic rearview mirror (Grand Touring)
    * One-touch open/close moonroof (Grand Touring)
    * Easy Fuel capless fueling system
    * Automatic on/off headlamps

New or enhanced for 2009(Tribute-HEV):

* New 2.5L 4 cylinder Atkinson cycle engine
    * Power-assisted ventilated front disc/rear drum brakes
    * Automatic on/off headlights
    * Standard satellite radio
    * Steering wheel audio controls
    * Dynamic Stability Control, Roll Stability Control and Traction Control System
  • mntxladymntxlady Member Posts: 1
    I recently changed my fuel filter due to stalling when put into gear. The car has run good since then - about 30 days. Now it is doing this again. I believe I put in 89 octane gas this last time instead of the 87 octane the manual says I should put in. Could it be a bad tank of gas? Is it safe to drive and put it in nuetral as I stop to keep the car running to make it back and forth to work until I get the cash to have it looked at? :confuse: :sick:
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Wife owns an 04 Tribute ES V6 4WD. Here in the Northwest we just had a 40 year snow/ice storm. 3 feet of snow. Tribute performed flawlessly. Approaching 60,000 miles, no issues. With Ford selling of Mazda shares, I feel the Tributes days are numbered. Mazda has the CX-7.
  • farnfarn Member Posts: 2
    Hi! re- codes for tribute there is a full set of them in the haynes repair manual
    zebedee England
  • bubba99bubba99 Member Posts: 3
    If you would check ny query at the bottom of the main page for Tributes you'll find the answer
    Pages vary depending on preferences and stuff.

I think you mean this thread?

2001 tribute licence plate lights
  • hev1hev1 Member Posts: 1
    My engine was idling terribly - first I was told it was the egr valve which had a hole in it (I know hard to believe but they showed me). then i was told that i needed to replace the mass air flow sensor. After replacing these, the check engine light went out but came back on later that day and the engine still idles bad and the sound of air is even louder. They said that the brake boost needs to be done but could it be that the brakes need to be bled and that there is too much air? It also just had a tune up and a diagnostic.
  • jimkirvenjimkirven Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tribute with 32,500 miles. I had to relace the front rotors at 25,000 miles. Replaced front wheel bearings at 31,150 miles. I just had to replace the Fuel pump at 32,045 miles. Around 20,000 miles the #8 fuse blew and stranded me in traffic. When this fuse blows it shuts down all gauges, windows and locks the shifter in park. This fuse just blew again at 32,500 miles.
    Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?
  • fatcat01zumzumfatcat01zumzum Member Posts: 2
    Hello to all mazda tribute owners, I recently bought a 2001 mazda tribute(OMG) had I seen this forum I would of bought something else,anyway I first experienced the tranny shuddering When driving 40 to 50 MPH,I took it to aamco and had them check it out,they gave me 2 choices, 1)a shudder fix/ or have it rebuilt, of course I tried the shudder fix to see if this will help or fix the problem,nope that didn't work so I had them rebuild the tranny on monday,I should get it back tomorrow hopefully, the best part is that I'm taking the guy whom sold me the mazda to court because he lied to me about the mazda being in good condition and not having any major problems,I think that having a new tranny put in the mazda qualify as major problem,I also have experienced the cold start idling in the morning which recently started happening and sounds like somethings loose in my passenger front tire area,does any one have this problem and had it fixed? Thank you for any advice. :lemon: )
  • hadmazda42longhadmazda42long Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to tell you that the cold starts in the mornings is the air intake casket probably the lower one. It wasn't too expensive, but I had my uncle fix it for me. I just had that replaced this year. I don't know where to start with my tribute. I have had it for 5 years now & can't wait to get another car. The door handles tear up. I replaced the driver's side within about a year of having the car. Now the passenger side door handle is broken. I have a problem right now when driving down the road it shakes. We replaced the coil pack on cylinder one & the EGR valve & that didn't take care of it, BUT that is what the guy said the diagnostic machine read. The locks keep tearing up. Sometimes the back hatch doesn't want to lock & sometimes it locks & doesn't want to unlock. I keep reading other blogs & shaking my b/c I am having or have had the same problems. I will never buy another Mazda b/c of this car. I am going back to Toyota. I don't care what they have been thru lately they still hold up. I would advise any person with this car that is NOT long term.
  • fatcat01zumzumfatcat01zumzum Member Posts: 2
    Hey had mazda 42 long,I recently replaced upper and lower intake manifolds gaskets and the spark plugs my self I'm some what of a do it your self kinda guy,it saves me money that the mechanics wish they can pocket,and so far so good!!!next will be what ever is loose in the right front tire or suspension area, I'm getting a knocking sound like somethings loose,anyway u said that when u drive your getting some shaking going on, have u check on the motor mounts?? I've read that could be a problem with these mazda tributes as well so check that out and let me know how that goes,thanks again.
  • kornellkornell Member Posts: 1
    I've seen alot of "lousy mpg" problems people have been reporting, but I think (and am hoping) my case is slightly different. I don't know too much about cars, but I just bought a used 01 tribute ES 4wd that is getting piss poor city milage, and alright highway. I'm very light footed on the gas - I consistently get better then average millage in other cars, but for some reason I'm getting ~10mpg city, and 21 highway. One of the reasons I bought this car was because it had better then normal advertised mpg for the size SUV's I was looking at in my price range. The highway is fine, it'd be nice if it was better (I drive ~65mph, I'm not driving at 80), but I can live with 21, but does anybody have any advice for getting better city mpg? What parts do I need to look at, clean/replace? where should I start?

For reference, the car has ~94K miles on it, no gas smell, and is idling very smoothly. I've been using 87octane gas (which I understand is recommended?). The 'closest' things I've seen to my problem are dirty MAF sensors, but my understanding is that there is a smell associated with them? I can't really afford to get 10mpg, but I also can't really afford to sell the car and take a hefty hit on it.
  • stellarviewstellarview Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Tribute ES with 4WD/AWD and would like to get chains for it. I've never had a 4WD vehicle before. Do you buy 2 sets or 4? If 2, which tires get them, the front or back? I believe when not in 4WD mode it is rear wheel drive so I assume they would go on the rear but I'm not sure.
    thx
    Well, after I posted I went and googled chains on 4wd and learned that ideal would be chains on all 4 wheels but I could get by with 2 and the best place for them would be the rear. Just in case anyone else needs to know...
    Hi - I have the same year/make of Tribute as you and am getting ~14mpg in city (winter) and ~16mpg in the summer. I too am no mechanic but do notice the mileage improving once I've replaced the air filter and a fresh oil/filter change. Probably not it but are you keeping up on that?
    Beyond that I'll defer to others more experienced. Sorry couldn't be more help.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The Escape/Tribute is front wheel drive when not in four wheel drive.
  • ballparkfmballparkfm Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at buying a 2005 Mazda Tribute with 120k miles on it. It had a new Engine and Transmission put in it recently.

Anything I should pay attention to? Obviously I need to check struts, axles, radiator, fluids, oil, underneath the car, etc...

From what I'm seeing, it looks like it should not be surprising that a new engine/transmission was put in it. However, what things should I be aware of if that did happen? If my e-mail shows up or there's a way to contact via e-mail, do so.
  • 8737987379 Member Posts: 2
    Yes! It happens to my wife's 01 Tribute DX-V6 4wd as well. Always feels like Im driving a stick. I don't know if it is a problem and not sure if it's been like since we got the car from the lot. We would have noticed it right away.
  • 8737987379 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 01 Tribute 4wd to Midas in Fremont CA to be diagnosed because the check engine light came on. P0401 insufficient air flow it what came out to be according to their scanner. Replaced EGR valve. Paid $385 parts and labor. After it's been driven 1-1 1/2 miles light came back on so I took back the next. Drove it again, light came back on again and it went on like this for a week. I got tired and took to recommended shop and found the the DPFE and solenoid were bad. My question is...should Midas reimburse me for not fixing the car?