Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• tlc8tlc8 Member Posts: 4
    Great, that's the info I needed. Thanks.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Mazda does not allow additional charges on the S-plan.

I do agree however that you should go straight to the fleet manager for S and X Plans.
  • g2y1g2y1 Member Posts: 3
    I didn't give the correct information in my previous post about invoice price. I am in accounting and when I see invoice I was thinking what was on the sticker. I actually paid MSRP for the truck. I forget that there is an invoice price and a MSRP price on cars. I apologize.

I got the sticker out and base was 21255.00 w/ perimiter alarm (115.00), rear bumper step plate (89.00), wheel locks (30.00) and luxury package (1090.00) = 22549.00 + delivery of 540.00 = 23089.00.
  • terrymcginnisterrymcginnis Member Posts: 9
    You got ripped-off BIG time. That final price..$25,099...Thats the price of the ES-V6 AWD with every option package included....Leather, ABS, InDash CD changer...all of it.

odie has it basically right, What they did was get you to spend more on the basically same vehicle you were buying in the beginning.

Man, this is ridiculous. Its a Mazda for crying out loud. Yes, I like the Trib...and I drove all 3 trims and was considering buying one...BUT...for what these idiots (YES, THESE MAZDA DEALERS ARE IDIOTS!!!!) are asking the consumers to do is incredulous.

The Hyundai Santa Fe buyers are in a similar boat...Extra charges,"dealer adjusted mark-ups", all that garbage.

It seems to me that Subaru and Honda are the only ones being realistic, fair, and honorable in the way they are treating their consumers.

Its only my opinion, and some of you may consider the Trib or Santa Fe worth the extra money and all the games...but I don't.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    From post #755: "It seems to me that Subaru and Honda are the only ones being realistic, fair, and honorable in the way they are treating their consumers."
    This may be true, I don't know. If so, is it just a coincidence that these two brands are the major players that have the oldest entry-level SUV designs on the market right now? Just wondering.

I'm curious what will happen if their next generation models are a hit.

Supply and demand...
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Let me say I have a '99 protege and I'm generally pro mazda, but there is no way I would put up with that kind of behavior from a dealer. When I buy a new car in December it'll probably be a 2002 CRV or a Subaru Outback...
    You are 100% correct. Supply and Demand.

If you were shopping for mini-vans, it would be exactly opposite. The Honda dealer would be gouging you for over invoice and the Mazda dealer would sell to you at invoice.

Face it, car dealers are businesses too. They are there to make money and when the opportunity is there, they will take it. New car sales are not the breadwinners anyway, so to them it's fair game.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    i'm not knocking the tribute. its probably the best by for your money.to answer your question my next car in 2 yrs will be either the audi a8 or or 540 series bmw. have not come to that point yeti'm in the process of bying a bigger home so will see when the time comes.i also agree with you about supply and demand.look at the acura MDX MOST DEALERS WANT OVER MSRP AND GETTING IT. I KNOW OF ONLY 3 DEALERS IN NY N.J. AREA THAT WILL SELL THAT SUV FOR MSRP.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    just started looking for my dad. SO FAR ONE DEALER quoted me 2% over INVOICE FOR THE ES.AT THIS POINT HE WOULD BE BETTER ORDING A 2002. I HEARD THEY HAVE SOME DIFFERENT COLORS.DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHEN THERE DO OUT? is there a price increase. thanks to all the zoomers.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    I was wondering if there are any compelling reasons to choose the Escape over the Tribute or vice versa. I've heard their differences are merely cosmetic. Should a buyer just go for the one with the lowest price?
  • u2powers1u2powers1 Member Posts: 2
    50000 mile warr Trib vs 36000 Esc.
    You get a cassete player w/6 cd changer in Trib: not so W/Esc. In the Esc you can get a power drivers seat without opting for leather.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Edmunds lists Tribute options for 02 includes power seat for 200 some dollars. Believe it when I see one.
  • walnitawalnita Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys-
    Bought my Tribute ES about a month ago. So far, it's been great and I haven't had any problems with it (unlike the majority of posts here??). Anyway, I had a question that I'm hoping you guys (and gals) could answer for me. It seems my fog lights only come on when I have my low beams on, but he manual says they also work with just the parking lights (but they don't). Does anyone know if the manual is a misprint or should the fog lights work with the parking lights?

Something else, too...while checking out my warranty info, I noticed that I have warranty information for Firestone and Goodyear tires (2 separate pamphlets) but have Continental tires. What's up with that? I've never heard of them. Should I be concerned?? Thanks muchly!!
  • mxmislmxmisl Member Posts: 8
    Hi:
    well i can't speak for everyone.
    i just bought a new loaded LX (only have 300miles on it), I find the fog lights only work when the low beams are on, and go off when your highbeams are activated.
    AS far as the continetal tires. I also have these tires as well, they are made by Goodyear. These are pure road tires, the good news is that they produce much less roadnoise than a hybrid tire(my friend has yoko highlanders on his tribby and its sounds totally different).
    i suspect the firestone pamphlet got into your owners book by accident. The goodyear warrenty is the correct one.
    Am i correct?
    frank
    tires are not made by Goodyear. Continental is owned by a German company. Very big corporation, they supply most European premium makes ( their premium series of course, not ours).
    Hi:
    i'll check tomorrow morning, but I believe my tires have this printed on them... Goodyear on the top and "continental SUV" opposite-at least thats I recall what printed on the side of the tire.
    Guess i best not say anything until i check again
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Continental Tires are a European company are a somewhat decent tire. I myself told the Dealer when I bought my '01 Escape XLT that I would not purchase with anything but Goodyear tires on it. It originally came with the Continental Conti-Trac SUV tires on it. The Dealer place Goodyear Wrangler RF-A (Rotation Free Aquatread) 60,000 mile tires on for me at no addition charge. You can the tire here. and believe me it handles very well on and off road (I had it up to the edge of the center cap in mud)

If you want to see a few more pics of the Escape go here

Http://members.aol.com/losttreasures26

Odie

I stand corrected.
    I checked the tires... in fact they are Continental Conti-trac SUV.
    They seems like good tires, and are much quieter on the road than my friends yokos.
    I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and find out why i recieved the Goodyear pamphlet in my new car booklet (and why i did recieve anything from Continental)
    Hi all:
    I wondering???
    So as mentioned above.... I purchased a V6-LX 4X4 that came w/ the factory installed perimeter alarm. I've read thru the car handbook, and find very little useful info on this alarm except on how-to lock, and unlock, and set off the panic alarm. So can someone explain to me what else this does. I've had many auto alarms which arm the doors and set the locks, chirps, then sets off when the car is shaken, hit, or broken into.
    This factory installed alarm does not go off when i violently shake the car (after arming the car)or try to open the door. Am I missing something? where is the blinking light shown when thr alarm is activated?
    Second, the upgraded stereo is good but average, the speakers are definately paper and sound it when i play at moderate volumes. Does anyone know what size speakers are in the doors and in the cargo area (i guess this is a subwoofer)? I can't really see thru the plastic grilles.
    Thanks in advance
  • winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    I just bought a liberty with the same type system. the owners manual is also somewhat vague on how the system really works. what I get out of it is that by some chance someone gets the door open, the lights & horn start going, similar to what happens if you push the panic button. but just trying the door or pushing on the vehicle apparently do not set it off.
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    Am seriously considering buying a 2002 Tribute but want to get the facts on mpg figures not from the advertisements, etc., but rather from YOU, the Tribute owners.

Also, if you have a complaint with the vehicle, what is it?

Please advise. Thanks.
  • onthehuntonthehunt Member Posts: 5
    I have been wanting a Tribute for a long time now but decided to wait out the first year model and go for a 2002. Today, I saw a Jeep Liberty for the first time and was truly impressed with the roomy interior, design, bigger engine, more options and price. I could buy a more loaded Liberty for a little less than the Tribute. Jeep offers different vehicle options independent of a package deal which is good. I'll know more whether I truly like it after I do a test drive. Mazda might have met its match with Jeep. Has anyone driven the Liberty? If so, what do you think about it? Thanks.
    Hi:

while i can't answer anything definitively (since i've only got 300 miles on my tribby).

I'll post what the longterm reviewers @ edmunds.com are getting on their tribute

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/44729/page007.html

Check the bottom of the page
  • winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    I own a liberty limited with the leather seats etc. and truly love it. had a tribute on order for over 3 months and cancelled because of all the problems I kept reading about and because the dealer just couldn't get it (they dont make enough of them compared to the escape), so I ordered a liberty. having compared the 2 in depth, the liberty winners are fit & finish, build quality, interior components being of better quality, 4wd system, overall toughness, offroad capability, towing capacity, quieter cabin, stronger suspension. the tributes pluses are acceleration, handling, braking (slight edge) and warrantee.

I believe ride is too close to call, MPG both suck and looks are up to each person to decide.
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    With over 8000 miles on my Tribute, I have had none of the major problems that are posted in these forums. Once in a while I get a rattle in the B pillar, where the seat belt attaches, and in the tail gate. However, they are not constant and they are not that loud when they do occur. Hey, it is a 25K vehicle, not 35K. I have thoroughly enjoyed my Tribute. I have only seen the Liberty in shopping mall parking lots, therefore, I can't compare the two.

As for gas mileage, I am a little OCD. I have recorded every tank since the very first. My overall mpg is 19.062. Now, my daily commute is at least thirty minutes each way of stop and go traffic (I really love I-95 at rush hour). Additionally, my wife gets better gas mileage when she drives . . . yes, I like to drop the hammer every once in a while. Email me if you have any other questions.
  • jdblainejdblaine Member Posts: 3
    With only 2500 miles we have gotten 24mpg on a trip w/ the aur conditioner on all the time. I drive to/from work semi-around town - just a few stops - and have been geeting between 19 and 20 consistently. The fuel light comes on with 4 gallons left in the tank though so I haven't had much range.
  • jdblainejdblaine Member Posts: 3
    I wanted a tow package on my 01 Trib but the dealer said it would be cheaper and quicker to go to a trailer place. There I got a hitch for $250. When I called the dealer for a price on the oil cooler I was quoted about $450. The dealer price for this, at least on the Edmunds page, is $355 which includes the tow bar. Is anything non factory installed much higher or am I trying to be had?
    is always cheaper than if the dealer has to do it. If you are going with an aftermarket hitch, just drop by a trans shop and have an aftermarket cooler installed. It won't cost nearly that much.
  • mikelpmikelp Member Posts: 5
    Johnmei...I have had my trib LX-4WD for about 6 months now and I have consistently had 20-21 mpg in mixed freeway/city driving w/occasional A/C.
    Never have reached 22 mpg yet.
    I did have a rattle in the hatch that was fixed by the dealer with some thick lube goo.
    I also had a crooked "MAZDA" plaque on the hatch that bugged me so I removed it.
    ALOHA FROM HAWAII EVERYONE...
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    Does anyone know of any dealer in the southeast that will accept the "s" plan on a Tribute?

I just bought a protege on the "s" plan. Most of the dealers I talked to wont budge on the Tributes. There aren't a shortage of them sitting on their lots.

All of the dealers in the metro Louisville area are selling Tributes at MSRP. Sorry I wont go there. I'm willing to travel if I have to
  • patomaspatomas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Tribute LX. When the air conditioner is on there is a very slight squeak that occurs every minute or so. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • lsutygerlsutyger Member Posts: 3
    Update on my 1 year old tribute:

Yes, it has been 1 year since I've purchased my Black fully loaded 2x4 2001 ES tribby. First, I had the model with 3 recalls. All 3 recalls went unfounded with no problems. Yes, it was an inconvience having to bring in for recalls, But being a 1st year model you can always expect one or two recalls.
    Two features that I would make improvement to on future models are: sturdier and longer sun visors and brighter interior cargo lights. These are very trivial items that are easy to live with.

So many posts I've read complained about flimsy door handles and how the gear shift obstructs radio controls; neither of these have been problems

After 11,000 miles the average mpg is 20.
    Now for the rest: Super responsive and peppy V6 engine, great transmission. I trailer twin Sea Doo's and have never been disappointed in towing & acceleration. Very comfortable interior including leather seating, plenty of leg room front and back seats. Great sounding audio system w/6 disc changer. Oil changes are super easy for the do-it-yourselfer.

Overall, this is a very fun and responsive SUV. Excellent ride, holds the turns like a sports car and if I had to do it all over again I would be purchasing the Mazda Tribute again. For this price range of SUV, You won't be disappointed !

P.S. : If you are looking for decent prices on Mazda accessories check out www.mazdastuff.com
    They have signifigantly lower prices that my local dealership would not match. I purchased the clear bug deflector and the cargo mat.

Good Luck!
  • fdefulviofdefulvio Member Posts: 47
    I recently attended a Jeep 101 test drive event in the Philadelphia area. We were able to test drive the Liberty on a constructed off-road course which was more than I would have ever expected any 4 wheeler to handle. Very steep hills, a row of 12" diameter tree trunks, very large rocks. The Liberty ate it up! I can guarantee that the Tribute could not handle this course.

On the road course, the Liberty handled well with a smooth ride and nice tight steering. I don't think it is quite as fast as the Tribute.

The Liberty has a very interesting interior which I felt was a combination of good quality and some very cheap pieces. The glove box is absolutely junk, the radio buttons are very cheap feeling, and the mounting brackets for the seats are all exposed. This was all on a top of the line loaded model. The rear cargo area is not very large.

I stopped at a Mazda dealer on the way home to look at the Tribute, and was much more impressed with the quality of the Tribute interior.

I don't think I will ever have much need for any serious off-roading, so I'm more inclined to go with the Tribute.
  • smehdersmehder Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know of a rack that mounts to the existing cross bars of the Trib. that I can use to mount a bike and kayak? I know I can buy a Yak bar to add to the existing cross bars, but that sounds like duplication.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Just wanted to update everyone on the Tribute status...for 2002.

the 4 cyl model will be very short lived in the model year, to increase v6 production. So if you want one, get it now.

4 cyl production for Europe was cencelled. This will free up 15,000 units for US. The V6 will be the only model offered in Europe and it does not sell well compared to the 4cyl. this to slow down demand and increase more profitable US sales.

At this point...we have been told only 35% of Tributes will be built with moonroofs. 50% max build capacity of ABS brakes...side airbags will be an on/off problem also..no solid build numbers yet.
    We have been told to expect a increase of availability around the 3rd quarter of 2002, until then there will be product shortages and many more orders than the ability to build will continue...the extra units and ramping up of suppliers to build more units should be working by then.

rich
  • zalenskizalenski Member Posts: 2
    We brought our 2001 Tribute LX home on July 27th. We now have 1000 miles on it and no problems to report!
    We love it and everyone we've shown it to has loved it. We're averaging about 20 mpg, with a lot of stop/go city driving.

For those inquiring about cost, we paid about invoice ($23,100 w/ taxes and destination) for ours, in Wisconsin. It also has: hitch pkg, audio pkg & ABS side airbags/brakes. Supposedly, someone had ordered it, but bought something else after waiting too long. It was their only Tribute on the lot.

It was really hard to find 2wd/automatic in silver/black/blue in our region. Most of our choices were 4x4's with the beige interior (personally, blah!).

I'll check back in a few months!
    Good luck to future buyers, sounds like it could be tough in the next year...(#786)

Marcia
  • barbarah1barbarah1 Member Posts: 9
    I just ordered my loaded 2002 ES V6 4WD Calypso Blue Tribute yesterday. The agreed upon price was $25,600 ($900 below MSRP)including the side airbags, luxury and tow packages. It was the only one in the Chicago area that is on it's way in the color with the options I wanted, all but one. The perimeter alarm is not included. Not having purchased a car since 1988, I am unfamiliar with what I should due in terms of an alarm system. The dealer has never installed an aftermarket Mazda perimeter alarm. The cost should be $69 for the alarm and approximately an hours worth of labor to install. They are estimating the entire cost will be approximately $150 to install it. I live in Chicago and live across the street from the train and on a major street. My concern with alarms these days is that the vibration of the train and traffic that this alarm will be going off all the time. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the route to take as far as getting an alarm that won't be a nuisance? I simply want an alarm that will go off if someone tries to break into the car (i.e. open the door with the alarm activated) and not simple vibration. Also, the dealer said that if the perimeter alarm is installed by them, I will be able to use the same remote as I would use for the keyless entry. If I go elsewhere, it would mean an additional remote. Are these my only options?
    Hi:
    I have the perimeter alarm on my tribby. I have to say its really nothing. IN my experience, it only goes off if the doors are opened. It does not have a sensitivity switch or any way of triggering if your vechile is bumped, jostled, or banged.
    I believe its sole function is to sound the horn and flash the lights once someone has broken in and opened the door. The only way i have been able to set it off is to open the door from the inside (i sat in the car, activated the alarm and then gave it 1 full minute, i opened the door-then it sounded-i suspect it works on a voltage detection-the dome light comes on). So when combined w/ your magical key it proves additional protection.
    Personally, its a very average, if not blasse alarm, it doesn't set when you close the doors (you have to activate it each time), it doesn't chirp to inform someone who has bumped into your car that there is an alarm present...
    so it doesn't do alot of things an aftermarket alarm does. But if you want a quiet alarm system, its probably for you
    enjoy
    I think breaking glass will set it off. Maybe you could test breaking a glass bottle in the car.
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    I saw a couple of 2002 ES models at the local dealership. The new green and titanium metallic look very sharp! They both had a lot of options and were over $26K, which is out of my price range.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    What does the Calyspo Blue look like?
    Based on your feedback, I think the perimeter alarm will be just fine. Any thoughts about the fact that it's an aftermarket installation and the dealer has never installed one before? I'll also check out some aftermarket shops that install alarms and see what features they offer and at what price. I appreciate your opinion.
    Calypso Blue is one of the 4 new colors for 2002. It replaces the Galaxy Blue Metallic from last year. It is similar to that but a little darker. I think it's nice. The Titanium is a classy looking color. It blends nicely with the bottom moulding. It was just a little too much grey for me. I wanted something less bland. The other new colors for 2002 are the Dark Titanium Mettalic, Light Cypress Metallic and Glacier Silver Metallic.
    Along with smehder above, I'm also looking for a way to mount a kayak and bike to the existing crossbars on a Tribute. Anyone have any information on this?
  • salem23456salem23456 Member Posts: 1
    have seen a couple 2002 tribs on lots in the past week--salesmen seem not to know much about any differences btwn the 2001 & 2002 tribs--can anyone help?? thanks-this forum is informative and interesting!
  • smehdersmehder Member Posts: 18
    Are barbarah1 and I the only bikers/kayakers with tributes? Or are we the only ones that need help finding fittings for our tributes? any help out there???
    The DX and DX V6 now included standard 16" alloy wheels, remote keyless entry and privacy galss. All trim levels have new front bucket seats with adjustable headrests. The DX model also has the rear bench seat with adjustable headrests for 2002. DX V6 production will end on 9/30/01, increasing LX and ES availability. Anti-lock brakes are standard on the ES and the side airbags remain an option. Powertrain is unchanged. Interior: new higher quality floor mats are standard and added driver seat adjustable lumbar support (LX/ES). 16" alloy wheels are standard for all trim levels. ABS(AB1) is now a stand alone option for the LX trim. Side air bag package(AB2) is available along with the ABS package. 6 way power driver seat for LX trim. The popular equipment package is deleted for both the DX4 and DXV6 models. Deleted ABS/SAB package. Offered as stand alone options. Trailer tow package now includes "flying M" receiver cover. New side step tubes added as a port installed accessory. Large cneter console for DX V6 added as a port installed accessory. New colors included Dark Titanium Metallic, Calypso Blue Metallic, Light Cypress Metallic and Glacier Silver Metallic. Carryover colors are Classic white, Chestnut Mica, Desert Metallic and Mystic Black.
  • mikey235mikey235 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    I've got the factory rack on my Trib. and am able to use Thule mounts on the factory cross bars. Thule makes a lot of different sized mounts to fit factory cross bars and you may need to experiment with what works if they don't list the Trib. in their parts/fit book. I got mine at an REI where they let me take different ones out to the parking lot to find the right fit. Sorry I can't remember the Thule part number, but I think I ended up with some that we're supposed to fit a Ford Explorer.
    Another option, which might make for a sturdier rack, would be to find some mounts that grab/fit onto the side rails. Then use Thule or a Yakima cross bar set and remove the factory ones. I've found that the factory cross bars aren't that "tight" and definetly aren't "bomber". And the Thule or Yak bars could extend out farther to accomadate lots more gear.

Good luck!

BTW, I'm the guy who hates my Door/Light/Sticky Ignition chime and no one responded to my request for info on how to disconnect this annoying feature. One more time, HEELLPPPPP!!!!!

..........Anyone?.........Anyone?........Ferris?
    (Gotta Love Ben Stein!)

Trib On,
    Mike