Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• nrscasey25nrscasey25 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and the vibration while idling is driving me insane. My Jeep service center said it is typical of this model and the computer says there is nothing wrong with it. This is my 2nd Jeep Cherokee and the 1st one did not do this. You would think paying $30,000 for a luxury vehicle that you wouldn't have to vibrate so bad your hands feel like you've been operating a weed eater.
  • jgoodricjgoodric Member Posts: 1
    Recently, my 98 Cherokee Sport as been giving me problems when I try to start it. Every time I turn it over, I have to turn the key twice (on the first try, the car turns but doesn't fire) and on the second try, it starts right up. I have changed the battery recently, just changed the spark plugs last week and I am not sure where to look next. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
  • cluelessclueless Member Posts: 1
    i recently purchased a 2001 jeep sport in june . problems ever since. now i have a noise coming from the rear end when i first pull out. it stops after a few minutes. the only way i can describe the noise is, a bird chirpping. what is this? plz help !!!!
  • jeepfreedomjeepfreedom Member Posts: 6
    The heater core seems to be clogged and changing it is a pain. The fan blows fine, the AC works well, there are no leaks, but there is no heat. A mechanic I know said it would run about $800 (in NY metro area) because of the labor involved. Does anyone know of a way to unclog the heater core? I know there is a special brush made for just this purpose but I can't it anywhere.

Does anyone have any info?
  • jeeperjeeper Member Posts: 4
    try to disconnect the heater inlet and outlet hoses. connect air pressure or hose bib to blow out core.try to blow it out from outlet side ,in reverse. if you can clear enough to allow flow , you can proceed with more common chemical cleaners from auto parts stores to flush system. if there are no leaks then core should be sound enough for the pressure. i have had it work in past. it's just gunk and the low pressure in the cooling system wont push it through.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • gmattgmatt Member Posts: 1
    2000 Cherokee - The fan speed control and temp control work, but the vent system is stuck in defrost mode. Is there any other possibility for the problem other than a bad heater/AC control unit? The Haynes manual I have is worthless, and any tips on troubleshooting the problem would be appreciated.
  • jeepfan1jeepfan1 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to find out how i can remove the radiator. I have managed to remove the water pipes, but cannot remove the oil pipes leading to the gearbox. Does anyone have any ideas?

email:wengc@state.gov
  • timmer23timmer23 Member Posts: 24
    To give an update on the '90 electrical problem, it turned out to be the internal voltage regulator inside the alternator.
  • timmer23timmer23 Member Posts: 24
    Saturday night while driving my '95 Country with the defogger on, I began to smell an odd odor, like burning plastic. I pulled over and couldn't find anything smoking or the source of the smell, so I assumed it had come from the old car that was driving in front of me. I turned off the defogger and cracked the windows, and the smell went away after a few minutes. Later I turned the defogger on again and smelled the odor just briefly.

Sunday morning I started the Cherokee to let it warm up, when I returned 5-10 minutes later it was full of smoke and I could see an orange glow on the dashboard by the passenger side. The fire spread quick, and the Cherokee was fully engulfed by flames within minutes.

I am wondering, as the fire appears to have started from an electrical problem, is there anything I should try to get Jeep to do about it? Is anyone aware of any similar incidents or relevant recalls?

Here are some photos of the fire: http://www.timrivera.com/gallery/display_album.php?album_id=1
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wow, I guess it was fortunate that the house didn't suffer worse damage.

Steve, Host
  • ed96ed96 Member Posts: 20
    sounds like a vacum problem or the vent door is stuck in closed position
  • jeepbuffjeepbuff Member Posts: 2
    Just bought this car and noticed that it doesn't always like to start in Park. It is a 4.0, A/T, 4WD. Asked prev owner about it and he said that he just put a new NSS in it and that I should push the gear selector all the way forward; I have and it doesn't always work. I've seen this problem addressed in previous questions, but no answers. Any clues as to a fix out there? Other than that, we love the Jeep! Thanks.
  • dirtguy14dirtguy14 Member Posts: 1
    My 97 did the same thing when i bought it, A new fuel pump fixed it right away. Your symptoms are identical to the ones i had and basically indicate a fuel pump that is getting tired and can't build up enough pressure at first to get the thing to turn over. Try turning the key to the "on" position, not cranking, just so you can build up pressure, do this a couple times and see if it starts right up. If it does, and possibly if it doesn't, it's likely time for a new pump. Sadly you have to drop the tank to do this job and a new pump is not cheap but if you do it yourself, try to buy one that does not include the housing, just the pump itself, your mechanic/auto parts clerk will know what i'm talking about. Give or take $200 and 3 hours or so.
  • earlyhunterearlyhunter Member Posts: 1
    I started getting this loud knock in the front left tire area that only happens occasionally. It goes away if i apply the brakes even slightly then will start up again when i take my foot off the brake.Then it will just go away totally only to mysteriously return again another time??? any ideas thanks
  • jeepbuffjeepbuff Member Posts: 2
    RE: 1360 - Thanks for the feedback. I'll file that away for future use. I guess that I wasn't clear enough in my description. The car does nothing in Park when it does this.At other times, it will start fine. When it does it, it doesn't turn over at all. But if we put it in Neutral, it always starts. One of my buds came back with an answer from a mechanic who said that the NSS needs to be moved just a smidge counter-clockwise to fix it. He said that this is a common problem when the NSS is replaced. I have since pretty much homed in on the 'spot' that it seems to like to start. It also bugs me, tho, that it does not always like to go into the Park position at all and stays in Neutral until I move it around to find the right spot. As soon as the snow and cold pass by here, I will get under it and do some linkage checking. Remember when you could change a fuelpump in the parking lot and then go home?? Another improvement. Thanks again for your response. Jeepbuff
  • 34phord34phord Member Posts: 1
    IM LOOKING FOR ANYONE THAT HAS HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE COOLING FAN DRIVEN BY THE THE POWER STEERING PUMP THAT HAVE QUIT. MY 2001 WITH 33,000 MILS WHILE TOWING MY 18 FT TRAILER STOPPED WORKING HAVE YOU HAD THIS PROBLEM ALSO DID IT CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE OR DID THE REPAIRS CAUSE OTHER DAMAGE TO RADIATOR AND TRANS COOLING LINES BY AUTO TECK THAT DID THE REPAIR I FEEL THE FACTORY KNEW THIS WAS A GREAT PROBLEM AS 2005 HAVE A MORE STADARD WAY TO RUN THE ENGINES FAN EMAIL ME AT CARTERIORS@AOL.COM IF YOU HAVE HAD PROBLEMS THANKS RON
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    EMAIL ME AT ****

Please keep the discussion here so everyone can benefit. Doing otherwise defeats the purpose of a message board which is to exchange views, information and experiences.

tidester, host
  • jeepnoulijeepnouli Member Posts: 1
    Careful with the overheating engine - My 2001 Cherokee Sport 4x4 is in the shop now being repaired because suddenly I got a crack in one of the cylinders due to extreme overheating. I was not towing anything, the car is well maintained, and just a month ago had an oil change. My mechanic was surprised to see this problem but he says he has seen it before in 2001 Cherokee's. Chrylser is not being very cooperative. I am looking for people who had engine overheating engine problems. Knowing I took very good care of the car and at 2001 60k miles vehicle should not be having such major engine problem.
  • sscottisscotti Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I think also has a problem with the heater core. I have water leaking into the passenger side fairly contantly and a mechanic told me it might be from the core. Do you have any other info on how to fix it? I noticed that you buy the part pretty cheap on the net, but most of the cost must be for labor.
  • ili_93ili_93 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing something similar with my 2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4. Not overheating, but low oil pressure. My mechanic said that the cylinder head cracked, causing the radiator fluid to mix with the oil, causing the low pressure. He says it's a defect in the engine, and although rare he has seem it before. Unfortunately, the radiator fluid also leaked into other parts of the engine, and now it needs a new short block. My Jeep has 60K on it, and I have taken very good care of it. I have never towed anything, and get the oil changed regularly. The good news is that it is covered under warranty, as the vehicle was a certified used Jeep with Chryslers 8 year / 80,000 mile powertrain warranty. Hope this helps.
  • ndtommyndtommy Member Posts: 7
    All of a sudden, the parking lights on the '93 Cherokee Sport won't work. Bulbs are ok....turn signals work. I thought it might be the switch, but the rears go on when the parking light switch is engaged. No fuse that I can see.
    Any ideas?
  • davefewoxdavefewox Member Posts: 5
    has anyone ever put an audiovox aftermarket cruise control in a 98 cherokee sport? it looks straightforward except for the electical connections to the speedo sensor and tach. how would i find these wires without tearing the dash apart.
    thanks
    can anyone get me started with taking to dash apart to put in a stereo and replace the fan speed switch? it only works on high. i guess i'll do both while i have the dash apart.
    thanks
    captain dave
    i'd like to put a 2 - 3 inch lift kit on my 98 sport, but don't want to do anything to damage it? is 2 or three inches enough to put alot of strain on the drive shafts..do i need to use an adapter to lower the transfer case? is this all too much trouble to make it look a little cooler and run slightly bigger tires?
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Why waste your money on something you don't need. Lifts are for those who use their rides off-road. If you don't plan to leave the payment then forget it. Any time you add angle to u-joints you increase the loading and problems can arise. Case adaptors are typically for lifts greater than 3 inches. I wouldn't do it to a street driven Jeep.
  • bushmanbushman Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Jeep Cherokee Sport and today I put the turn signal on and the radio shut off and came back on, the "Check Gauges" idiot light came on and the volt gauge went all the way to 19 (max). The problem seemed to correct itself after I shut it off immediately and restarted it. I've had the blinker reset the radio before without the gauge problem occurring and thought it a fluke or coincidence. Now I know that isn't true.

Also the driver's window makes a grinding noise when fully up or down and won't stop automatically when I use the 'Auto' feature. I opened the door panel and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the thing even works. I have a Chilton's for my old '85 Jeep but it doesn't cover the newer models. The newer Chilton's and Haynes books don't cover the '01 model apparently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • benfegabenfega Member Posts: 2
    Vehicle first exhibited major hesitation when first starting out and set Check Engine light. In addition, each time it hesitates, it is blowing a 15 amp fuse under the hood. Engine codes pointed to problems with both oxygen sensors so I have replaced both as well as the fuse. Check engine light no longer comes on but vehicle continues major hesitation when first starting out....hesitation goes away after several minutes on the road. Each time the vehicle hesitates, the 15 amp fuse blows out. I am thinking that there is a short somewhere under the hood but I haven't had any luck tracking it down. Any suggestions on what it may be?
  • mcattmcatt Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking for a 1999-2001 Jeep Cherokee (NOT Grand Cherokee) with a sunroof/moonroof, they're rare but I see one every now and then. Was this a factory option or are they all after-market? Is it possible to retro fit one and not have it look cheesy?
  • dan99dan99 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 cherokee sport and I had the exact same problem today. The lights and stereo go out momentarily and the voltage gauge maxed out. I think the problem may be a short somewhere in the charging system. I have yet to figure it out. Let me know if you find anything on yours. Thanks
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Wasn't an option in 2001. I've got the 2001 catalog here from when I bought mine and there's no sunroof listed anywhere. Not sure I've seen a '99-'01 with one either. They seemed to really de-content these the last few years they made them. I remember seeing an earlier model limited with a factory sunroof. I would think a good aftermarket shop could put you in a nice one that would look good. Most can match the interior colors and everything.
  • dan99dan99 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 cherokee sport and I had the exact same problem today. The lights and stereo go out momentarily and the voltage gauge maxed out. I think the problem may be a short somewhere in the charging system. I have yet to figure it out. Let me know if you find anything on yours. Thanks
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I have a friend who has a '00 Sport that has a power sunroof. I Test drove a '99 that had a sunroof. Both were aftermarkets. A factory sunroof was not an option on these, but as mentioned above, the aftermarkets look pretty good. My friend's '00 doesn't have a sunshade, but the '99 I drove did, however headroom was GREATLY decreased with the sunroof, and the headliner appeared stretched on the one with the sunshade. One option I'd love to see on a 4 door sport is a 5 speed manual. I've only seen/drove one of them, and I kicked myself for not buying it. The automatic is very good though.
    Yes, check the headroom with a sunroof. I barely had enough headroom to be comfortable in my '01 (practically had to lay the seat-back down). In addition, if you're tall like me, take one for a good drive. I never felt the seat went back far enough to accomodate my legs. I loved my XJ, but it was not comfortable at all and mainly why I sold it to a friend after only 2.5 years and 70k miles. As Car and Driver reported, the front seat feels like a Kmart sofa. It would probably be fine for someone not driving as much as I was though.
  • benfegabenfega Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Cherokee Sport that had the same exact problem last Fall. The problem is that your battery doesn't have a good connection causing the charging system to overcharge to compensate. Clean the terminals on the battery with a wire brush along with the clamps on the end of the battery cables and this should fix your problem. Good luck!
  • mcattmcatt Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the legroom/headroom for sure (I'm 6'3). I wonder if it would be possible to find a shop that could/would move the driver seat tracks back 2-3"?
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I'm 6'1" and my hair rubbed the headliner, which annoyed me. Otherwise really liked the Jeep. But went with an Explorer instead, without the sunroof. That was 2 years ago, and now I'm even considering getting rid of it in favor of a Toyota Tundra, lol.

I have 3 friends who own Cherokees. A '93, a '00 and an '01. All 3 love their Jeeps. The '93 has nearly 230k miles and still going strong. The '00 has about 70k and the '01 has 40k. I don't think the '01 has had any problems, but the front passenger side fender flare fell off of the '00 as she was going down the interstate. I've seen other jeeps missing the same fender flare, is that a common issue?
    I don't know about moving the seats. I actually looked at transplanting a set of leather limited seats into mine because the power seat is much more comfy and goes back further. They're very hard to find though. Not many limiteds were built the last few years.
  • broneybroney Member Posts: 3
    Want to replace old yellow headlights with new ones. How do you get the old ones out ? Thax
  • archaeonarchaeon Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Cherokee Sport and I have had a few electronic ghosts too. The airbag light comes on and off sometimes and the twice the rpm and mileage guages just stopped working. They came back on when I turned on the headlights though. Do you think this can be the same problem.
  • archaeonarchaeon Member Posts: 2
    Another ghost I have in my 1997 Cherokee sport is that is won't go all the way into Defrost. Very little air blows out when it is switched there. I have checked for vacuum leaks and found one and fixed it. If I have it on just blowing (dash vents) it will work fine and then sometimes it will just make a whining noise and stop blowing out of the vents. It will still be working (you can hear it) it just isn't coming out of the vents. Then within a minute or two it will switch back. Two other things. Sometimes when it is blowing there is a went dusky kind of smell that only lasts for a minute or two. It is not a heater core leak smell. just like wet clothes left sitting too long. And the other thing is the heater/fan can be completely turned off and you will still hear it click from time to time like it is trying to switch the flap inside. Sorry this is so long, just trying to be detailed. Has anywone had this problem before or did I just get lucky enough for the previous owner to have dropped something down the vent. Opening up that dash is daunting.
    There are screws (requires a six-point bit I believe) in the trim around the headlights. Take the trim pieces off, then there are screws holding the halogen lights. If you really want to see better, swap in a set of Hella Vision Plus Halogens. It replaces the entire headlight and is a little bit expensive, but WOW is there a big improvement. Plus, the Hellas have a bulb inside that can be replaced instead of replacing the entire lens again.
  • broneybroney Member Posts: 3
    Thank you sebring95
  • tcarsontcarson Member Posts: 1
    also having problem with air conditioning
    did you find fix for your problem
    if so let me know
    thanks
    tcarson
  • robertp1770robertp1770 Member Posts: 1
    My neighbor had the same code "P0455" EVAP system leak (large). He replaced the gas cap, we erased the code, but it came back within a day. I pulled the canister off and looked it over for cracks, there weren't any. Took my vacuum pump and had my neighbor plug one end of the tube that runs from the canister to the pump in the engine compartment. I could not pull a vacuum, so we traced the tubing back and found some rubber hose that had cracked. Replaced two pieces of hose for $1 and erased the code. Every thing seems to be good.
  • kdunhamkdunham Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 Jeep Cherokee and am having the same problem, gauges go dead and the airbag light stays on. Doesn't seem to make a difference, however, am concerned that this may lead to worse problems. What was the problem? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks,
    Kelly
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    I replaced the stock sealed beams in my '99 Cherokee with Sylvania Silver Stars. They are many times better. A brighter white light and much wider beam. Reasonably priced, too.
  • jeepman1jeepman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I was driving my 99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 on the highway yesterday and out of nowhere the car began hesistating. Similiar to the symptoms associated with running out of gas occured. The car would go then hesistate, go then hesistate, (rev then drop, rev then drop). The car never fully stalled. After this occured, I let the car rest in my driveway for a few hours and then took it on a test drive to see if it happened again. I drove it around town and nothing happened. However, Today I drove it on the highway and after driving for about 15 miles at around 65, the same problems began happening again. It never fully stalled, but continued to do the same thing every few minutes. I'm thinking its fuel related. Any ideas?
  • domenico1domenico1 Member Posts: 1
    i would like to know if a 1994 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 engine, high output, comes from the factory with a steel gear or a plastic one (fiber). the reason is that i currently have 100,000 miles and would like to know if i should replace it or not.