Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• socrateasesocratease Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem and am just as frustrated. I own a 89 cherokee with 4.0 and have done everything you've done (accept, this time, replaced the ignition control unit). All the same symptoms you have, with this added: I'll go into McDonald's for five minutes to pick up a big Mac--turn off the ignition--when I come out-=it turns over and over and won't start. Wait about 3-4 hours (until it cools?) and it starts up. This, like you, happens very intermittently (once every week-to-two weeks). In the past it has done something like this, and I had the ignition control unit replaced and it worked, the last time it did that it was the camshaft postion sensor (spent a lot of money to find that out). So THIS time, I'm not too keen on guessing that it must be the ignition control unit (150.00, 75 used), even though I just replaced (again!!) the distributor pickup. Would appreciate any feedback you can give me on your situtation. PS I've been through it with the fuel pumps too--every time I had it towed somewhere when it wouldn't start in the past--it would start when it got to the garage. Learned that if the fuel pumps at fault, banging on the gas tank (where the pump is) will unjam it and the truck starts up. But this time, i know I have fuel pressure--you can check for sure by depressing the fuel valve on the fuel rail).
  • jeepster5jeepster5 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you...I bought a repair manual that 1) didn't explain this, and 2) the belt diagrams were for 2 other engines (4 and V6).
  • worleyguyworleyguy Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

I just wanted to add something that Sandisezz mentioned in their reply.

I bought a 3-row ALL metal, and I mean all metal, radiator for my '99 xj from

www.radiatorbarn.com

It was $140 delivered.
    It's the radiator Jeep put in the heavy duty (forrestry, police, etc) packages.

But a thermostat that opens up around 180 - 185 and you'll be amazed.
    This is what I have and idling at a stop light on a 90+ degree day, I'm still running below 200 degrees. Running temp is 210. It worked for me, may work for you.

One other thing, if you do the work yourself, you'll need what they call a Ford connection tool. It's a tool needed to remove the transmission line from the bottom of the radiator. The same kind of connections that you'll notice are on the AC lines. I got my tool at Harbour Frieght for $3 for 8 different size lines. I think NAPA carrys them too.

Anyway, good luck.

WorleyGuy
  • gandolf1974gandolf1974 Member Posts: 1
    You may also want to get yourself a Rubber BFH (big frigging hammer) I had to whack mine a few times before it would move. Good Luck
  • dhughes47dhughes47 Member Posts: 1
    Does the 92 Cherokee have a subpar A/C unit? It blows cold air (48 degrees) in AM when it's not so hot, but in the heat of the day, especially here in Phoenix in summer (116 degrees today), it doesn't really cool the vehicle down. My mechanic said it was full of freeon and suggested window tinting. Did that, but still not real cool.
  • audiodreameraudiodreamer Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1987 XJ with the 4.0ltr, and I'm just as frustrated as you. A month ago my crank position sensor went out. I replaced it with success, after installing a new coil, ignition module, cap, rotor, plugs, and air filter. About a week or two ago I started having intermittent starting issues. Its different from before, I get spark every 5 or 6 cranks and a strong gas odor from the engine. It sometimes takes a good 30 to 50 minutes of intermittent cranking before firing up. I leaning towards a camshaft or coil pickup sensor but not sure if its the problem. I'm pretty confident that its not the crank sensor again or the connector for it, but can't say for sure. I hope there's someone out there that knows of something that I can try. Thanks!
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Just how warm is "not so hot"? Here in the Ohio Valley it's usually around 65 to 70 in the mornings. An A/C unit can only take out so much heat at any given moment. My RV dealer told me this about an RV I once bought from them, this was a nearly new camper. The A/C unit will only blow air that is 20* cooler than the air inside the camper. Therefore if it is 90* in the camper when I turn on the A/C, then it will blow 70* air. Of course as the air inside the camper cools, then the unit will blow progressively colder air.

I once had a Lincoln Town Car. It would blow 33* air while sitting still in the drive on an 80* day. Needless to say it had a GOOD A/C on it. Well, on hot days, those over 100*, it had a hard time cooling down a hot car. My '01 Cherokee doesn't have that good of an A/C, but it's decent. It has a hard time when it's hot too. Unless it's blowing warm to hot air, I'd say your A/C is doing as good as can be expected.
  • chrisf700chrisf700 Member Posts: 1
    I had a very similar problem with my 88 Cherokee 4.0. The truck would run fine, I would shut it off for a few minutes and then when I would try and restart it, the engine would just keep cranking, never turning over. I would wait a few minutes more and it would start right up. Occasionally, the engine would run at a very low RPM, very rough, and wouldn't be able to go above about 1000 RPM. This intermittent problem drove me crazy for quite a while, until one time when I couldn't get it to start I disconnected the MAP sensor. The truck started right up (running like crap). I ran out to the store and got a MAP sensor, replaced it and never had the problem again.
  • 98classic98classic Member Posts: 6
    I have a 98 cherokee classic (love it!!) i want to lift it probably 4.5" . kits available run a little high, especially with full leaf packs in the back. I have heard that you can use chevy 1/2 ton springs. just use my first leaf on my stock pack. does anybody know anything about this? thanks :confuse:
  • browningmanbrowningman Member Posts: 1
    As my temperature rises the fluid rises in my bottle it doesn't suck it in :mad:
    Yes you are correct, but eventually the thermostat will open the whole way and you will notice coolant coming from the return line. If you have an air pocket in the block, which I'm thinking you might from you saying the coolant was overflowing back out the cap. That air is going to expand a lot and it will push any coolant out that line back to the reservoir. It's going to keep doing that over and over until that air is out. Trust me, I know this system is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] that's why they don't use it anymore, but it is the only way that I have ever been able to get it to keep the coolant and not overflow. I think it took me a hour and a half of nursing the coolant little by little. If you have a consistent flow of antifreeze going into the reservoir, there will be no way air can get into the block, but if your Jeep is running and you pour a little bit of coolant in and it sucks it in with some air, you are going to have issues. I went through this for a long time. I replaced hoses, pump, thermostat, reservoir bottle, cap, rodded the radiator then replaced it, and after all that I still had coolant backing up overflowing out the reservoir cap. It's air in the block.

WorleyGuy
    I fixed my clanking noise in the front of my 99-Jeep XJ.

Apparently my sway bar bushings were extrememly worn at the chasis mounts.
    Looking at them while the Jeep was on the ground, they looked fine.
    Looking at the Jeep while it was up on jack stands, they looked fine.
    Until I jacked up one side placing the jack behind the front wheel did I notice that there was a gap between the bar and the bushing, enough to put a number 2 pencil between.

I bought 2 bushings - $5.50 each.
    Also, 2 sway bar bushing repair kits, which is all the bushings for the connection rods. - $8.50 each.

Total of $28 and a hours time, no more clunking and better handling.

I'm going to do this to my '90 XJ as soon as I can.
  • 71charger71charger Member Posts: 116
    I've been looking around a lot lately to buy another Cherokee. I can't believe what the dealers are asking for nice ones. Around here $3000 will get you maybe a 1990 with around 200,000 miles in not very good shape. I'm thinking of picking up a 92 Laredo with 165,000 miles and in overall nice shape for $2500. Does that sound fair? Edmunds TMV says that's dealer retail for that vehicle. I've had so much trouble finding a good one at a good price I think I might just buy it.
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Good info. Thanks for posting your fix. :)
  • mes0970mes0970 Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

I've got a 99 Cherokee Sport 4wd 4.0l with 139000 miles. Lately, the airbag light comes on while driving and the speedometer and the tach stop working. I've seen a discussion about this problem on another board somewhere? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Thanks

MES0970
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I drove a 1990 Model Jeep (one of our poor high-mileage county cars here in Podunk, VA) that had that problem. Of course there weren't any air bags in '90, so it was the check engine light that would come on and the gauges would stop working. There was also a "check emiss" light on too. That thing drove like a tank though. We have 3 '90 models, and I'd take one of them (if they'd fix the AC on them) over my '99 Explorer any day.
  • jeep1993jeep1993 Member Posts: 1
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.2 all-time 4x4. My voltmeter started reading high voltage, check engine light came on, and check battery appeared on the console display. Any ideas? I had the alternator check at a local parts store. It passed.
  • jeepgirl3jeepgirl3 Member Posts: 10
    I took my '94 cherokee into the shop for some new front brakes, the rotors were horribly warped, and it made the whole vehicle shake when braking between 55 and 50 mph. I have had new rotors put on once before. There was a recall on the rotors, and the new ones and labor were free. If you have had replacement rotors put on your Jeep and they seem to be warping a little too fast, you should check to see if they were recalled like mine. You could get new ones for free.
  • budsbuds Member Posts: 1
    The passanger window and window lock have stopped functioning. I don't find a fuse listed for either in my manual. I contacted Jeep and the service department rep. told me that she could neither tell me yes or no if they are controlled by a fuse. I would have to bring the car in and have a tech answer my question - for the cost of $105.00. Does anyone know what controls the passanger window and the window lock function. Thank you for any help.
  • thorsnakethorsnake Member Posts: 14
    I have a 99XJ to. When my passenger side window switch started acting up. The window motor stayed on and broke. It was 280.00 to fix. :mad: The old switch started to work fine after the motor/window assembly was fixed. The Jeep mechanic could not find anything wrong with the switch of course. But now the switch does not work again :mad: Just my contol on the drivers side. Good luck. I want to know what you find out.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I'm driving a '00 Cherokee Limited at the moment (over night test drive from dealer) and when I picked it up today, the passenger window switch would not work. The window would go down with the switch on the driver's door, but not the passenger's. I took it for a drive around the area of the dealership, and by the time we got back, it had started working again.

I have to say, that this Limited, with 79k miles on it, drives like it was brand new. Heckuva lot better than my '99 Explorer with just 57k miles on it. However, I think I'll have to pass on it (probably kick myself later) because being a big guy, it just doesn't fit me. Darn shame too, cause it's a looker.
  • 98classic98classic Member Posts: 6
    My cherokee needs a front driver side door pins... i think. My fornt door sags just a little bit and it causes the molding on my driver side back door to catch . Anybody else had this problem? How do i fix it? the pin or the hinges, and does anybody know what tools to use or anything, I have read almost all of this cherokee forum, i have to say i am impressed with the knowledge i have seen. good job fellow jeepers! :)
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You won't kick yourself, the XJ just isn't that comfy for big guys. Try a grand cherokee, they're a bit more comfy.
  • marcusbearmarcusbear Member Posts: 2
    The front end of our Jeep met a light pole and lost. When I removed the bent bumper I found another piece of metal behind it and below the the radiator that I think it might be the lower radiator bracket. It is attached to the frame inside of the brakets for the bumper. Has anyone had any experience with removing it?
  • jeep23jeep23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport with 100,000 miles which has been a thrill to own for the past five years, however my electric system is showing signs of failure. I have no mechanical experience, so any help would be appreciated.

In the past year, three of my four windows have stopped working. One of them is an inch down and won't go back up. I noticed that the windows were failing because they stopped responding quickly, started moaning and finally gave out all together. I spent over $300 on a new window motor and parts for one of the windows, only to learn that this did nothing to solve the problem. I believe it could be a fuse as well, but don't know for sure and don't want to spend more money on a wild goose chase. I've run into other Cherokee owners who have experienced electical issues of the same nature.

My turn signals and rear window wiper work when they feel like, sometimes for days not at all, sometimes only for a few seconds.

Finally, my front door speakers don't work anymore.

Outside of the routine new rooters and brake pads I have not had any other issues to date.

Are the problems I'm having possibly related???

Thanks in advance for any input!
    For about two years, my rear wiper would blow fuses from time to time. The dealer said the motor was bad and wanted me to pay $300. to have it replaced. I decided to try something else. I replaced the 20 amp fuse with a 25 amp and have had no more problems for a year.
  • twarr1twarr1 Member Posts: 1
    It is the lower radiator support and also a structural component. It is spot welded to the front frame rails in several places and quite a chore to replace. If it isn't too damaged you may consider straigtening it instead of trying to replace it. If it is extensively damaged then chances are the frame rails are no longer straight either - definetely a job for a body shop equipped with a frame machine.
  • astemastem Member Posts: 6
    I need to make a decision on '01 Cherokee Sport 2DR/4WD(loaded) w/64,000 miles. It's seems to be in excellent condition. My concern is how reliable it will be. I drive 500 miles a week, about 99% being highway. The Cherokee will be great for me in the winter, but will the miles be a killer?? I keep hearing about break issues, but is that a case of basic repair work, or faulty design. I need help fast!!

Thanks
    Sounds exactly like the one I bought in February, only mine is a 4 door. I too drive many miles to work each day, about 42 miles each way with all but approximately 5 miles being 4-lane. I'm not too worried about the miles as I have 72k on it now. The 4.0L has a history of going over 200k miles without any problems and I don't know of any real tranny issues either. My wife works with a teacher that has a late 80's model with around 275k on it. And just this week I looked at a mid 90's model that had 253k on it. Both Cherokees are in really good shape for the mileage.

Brake issues could be a faulty design. However, that can be easily cured with some better aftermarket rotors and pads. But, I don't think you'll have any of these problems as they should be corrected by now.

BTW: I don't know your local market, but I paid $11,400 for mine. (Used Jeeps tend to sell over "book value" around here.)
  • tommyjeep94tommyjeep94 Member Posts: 12
    Hello, I'm new to the board. I have a 94 Cherokee Sport 4.0L. It did not come with factor tow package. I had a Class III hitch installed. I have been towing a 16 ft travel trailer RV with the original radiator. I have also installed an aftermarket trans fluid cooler. While towing, the coolant gauge indicates bet 210F and 240F. I I put on the AC, the gauge jumps to beyond the redline around +255F. I know that operating condition is too high. I have ordered a "rugged all-metal OEM quality" 3-row rad which states that it ideal for towing. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I have ordered a "rugged all-metal OEM quality" 3-row rad which states that it ideal for towing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds like a good start. The factory tow package included heavy-duty engine cooling, probably a bigger rad as you're ordering. The 4.0L does run on the hot-side normally, so it's always been a bear to keep cool when towing.
  • johnjreganjohnjregan Member Posts: 1
    Hello All, I am new here and appreciate the forum.

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee , 115K, great vehicle. I just replaced the ABS controller and that light finally went out (and anti-lock brakes work again) but today the "check engine light" came on. It still runs fine. I just did a 300 mile RT to the Oregon Coast last week. Any ideas/suggestions. My friend is a mechanic and will look at it later. Thanks,

It is so good to hear about Cherokees going 200K plus. That is I want with this one.

John
  • marcusbearmarcusbear Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info and confirmed my hunch. The bar was bent within 2 inches of one of the pulleys and has a 2 inch shear. It pulled the passenger side rail in a little bit. It's at the body shop now and will get out tomorrow. Luckily no major rail damage other than the end. It will cost $500 to remove, reweld the support and straighten the rail. Luckily it fit our budget. Since it is wide open I'm also replacing the water pump and timing chain and gears since it has 111K. Order a 3 panel radiator to help with the overheating.
    What's the gross weight on your travel trailer? And what type terrain are pulling it over? I'm currently setting my '01 up to pull a Wrangler on a flatbed. I've taken care of the tranny, I'm working on the trailer brakes and a controller. Next I'll tackle the engine cooling and may install an engine oil cooler if needed.
  • max21max21 Member Posts: 1
    1996 CHEROKEE SPORT--WHY DOES THE V-BELT SQUALL WHEN YOU PUT THE A/C ON. I'VE CHANGED THE BELT TWICE AND TIGHTENED UP EVERY THING AND NOTHING HELPS. PLEASE REPLY. THANKS.
    Is it a V-belt or a flat serpentine belt on the '96? Does it squeal continuously or only at startup. My '99 (serpentine belt) needs tightened every 6 months or so. When the belt is cold and the A/C kicks on, it squeals for a few seconds. But it's fine when engine is warmed up. Tightening fixes it. If you have it tightened to specifications then it may be that your A/C compressor is becoming difficult to rotate and causing the belt to slip.
  • koriskoris Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93' Jeep Cherokee Sport and recently the window on the drivers side has gotten off track I believe. The window is manual not power, but I know nothing about how to fix it. If anyone could help me out I would greatly appriciate it.
  • the1426the1426 Member Posts: 11
    I was replacing the radiator in the '95 Jeep Cherokee today. I believe I damaged the connecter on the transmission line that comes into the bottom of the radiator (driver's side). I'm assuming I'll need to replace the line all the way back to the transmission pan when I install the new radiator. Has anyone done this before?
    Many machine shops, farm equipment and heavy equipment repair facilities can fix hydraulic lines. I don't know what you've messed up, but I'd bet they can take care of it.
    No need to replace the whole line. Cut it off and splice a new piece to replace the damaged end. Use steel brake line and fittings from your local auto parts store.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I would like to splice in a new piece but I am having trouble finding the exact fitting to do the job. Basically he line goes from steel brake line to 5/8" rubber hose then to a funnel shaped quick connect fitting. The quick connect fitting clamps to a 3/8" metal stem on the radiator. Anyway, I can't seem to find that funnel shaped quick connect fitting anywhere. I'm wondering if I can get by with clamping the hose to the radiator fitting. I wouldn't think this line would be operating under too much pressure...
    Thanks for posting. Trailer GW is approx 2,500 lb. I'm pulling over roadways, mostly uphill one way (going to mountains - higher elevation). I put the new 3-row radiator in. I'll see how well this works this weekend when I go away with the trailer.

Another question: What degF thermostat should I use. I had a 160F. I took it out and replaced it with the standard 195F. I'm leaning to split the difference, say 180F. I also had a problem with the T'stat housing cover. I gushed water when I first put it back on. I then applied permatex in addition to the paper gasket. I think I over tightened the bolts - now the cover weeps from what looks like a crack in the cover body. I'm getting a new cover today after work.

Any advice helps.
    I just replaced a rad in a 94 cherokee. At first I did not properly connect the bottom trans line fitting that connects to the bottom of the rad. What a mess! (Another story for another time.) There was a plastic connector clip the connected the flex hose to the rigid metal trans line that runs under the rad. One has to be very careful to get this plastic connector clip to lock the flexible rigid metal lines together. (Don't get tranny fluid all over your driveway - like I did.)
    Thanks for the tip. How did you ever get the line disconnected from the old radiator. I had the hardest time with that one - which is how I ended up damaging it...
    Clamp should work.
    Those cast aluminum housings are really easy to over tighten and crack. I fully expect to crack one every time I change a t-stat. I would try the 180 or 185. I'm afraid the 160 would be too cold during the winter months. I have a Wrangler that I offroad on the weekends. When I bought it, the factory 195 was in it. While I didn't have any real problems with it overheating on the trail, the temps would run 210 to 220 all the time. I replaced it with a 185 and have been very happy. I also installed an electric fan at the same time. With lots of slow going and sometimes working the engine pretty hard, the temps never climb much higher than the 1/4 mark. The fan cycles off and on, even on long hill climbs. I'll be changing the coolant in my XJ sometime soon, whenever I get around to it (you know how those things go), and I'll be putting a 185 in.
  • vela1vela1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 91 Cherokee. The maintenance required light is on. I do not have an owners manual and Chilton says nothing on it. Does any one know:
    1. is it some thing like needs oil change?
    2. O2 sensor needs check etc!
    3. how to reset it.
    Thanks
    Scott :)
    The bottom trans connection to the radiator also utilizes the plastic connector clip to join the flex trans hose to the rad. To disassemble, "pinch" the plastic connector with channel locks or pliers; while "pinching" rotate the trans flex connection back and forth and applying pressure to pull apart. One almost needs three hands to do it. The plastic connector can get chewed up by the jaws of the channel locks, so be careful.
    Well, I did over torque the bolts of the t'stat housing (cast aluminum) and cracked it. I put a new housing on last night and looks good. I also put in a 180 degF t'stat well see how the XJ does towing this weekend. I should be OK with the new 3-row radiator, tranny fluid cooler, and 180 degF t'stat.

RE the elec fan you added to your Wrangler, did you replace an existing one? The XJ already has an elec fan in addition to the belt-driven fan. Is it a more powerful fan? Can you adjust the temperature at which it come on? Questions...
    Yes, I replaced the factory mechanical fan. The Wranglers only have one fan, unlike the XJ's. For the life of me, I can't figure out why DC put a mechanical fan on one side and electric fan on the other. I would have gone with two electric fans. In fact, I may do that to the XJ at some point in the future.

The electric fan I put on the YJ is off a late model GM car, some smaller car like a Cavalier or Sunfire etc.... I doubt it's any more powerful than the mechanical one, but does pull more air while the engine is idling. Since I'm puting together parts for an engine swap in the YJ, I didn't go to any great lengths on the fan thermostat. I got one at AutoZone for $17. It's one of those that has a sensor you attach to the radiator itself. It measures the air temp flowing through the radiator, rather than the coolant temp directly. It is adjustable, and once I fooled with the settings for a while to find that perfect setting, I have all but forgotten about it. One thing I did extra while wiring the thermostat, I installed a three position switch in the dash so I can run the fan in one of three modes. I can run the fan on auto where the thermostat cycles if off and on. I can run the fan continuously. (When I installed it, I thought I may have to use this mode when doing long hill climbs, but turns out the auto mode can handle it. However I still use it to cool the engine down.) And finally I can turn it off all together for situations such as a deep water crossing. I have two indicator lights also wired into the system. An amber light cycles off and on with the fan in auto mode, and a red light comes on when I turn the fan on.

Sometimes my passengers not familiar with the setup get a little concerned when that amber light comes on, and REALLY concerned when they don't see me flip the switch to continuous mode and that red light is on. :P