Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Acura RLX Full Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Acura

image2014 Acura RLX Full Test

Can Acura's new flagship keep up with the big names in the midsize luxury sedan class? We've just tested the 2014 RLX Advance.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    haro13haro13 Member Posts: 4
    Guess Acura failed to wow again...
  • Options
    dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    @haro13, the Lexus GS, supposedly "wowed" the competition with its improved driving dynamics but it's not anywhere close to being competitive in terms of sales. The 5 and E are outright dominating this segment and the RLX doesn't drives as well
  • Options
    empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    1. Few are looking to spend over $50k, much less $60k for an Acura FWD. There are few reasons to get this over a TL for $20k less. 2. It's not much to look at, unless large, lumpy Honda Accords turn you on. 3. This car doesn't know how to be a luxury sean or sports sedan, so it is neither. 4. Acura has all the cache of a Twitter account.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Acuras have always been puzzling to me. The first gen Acuras, Integra, Legend and of course NSX, were great cars. Why they walked away from the Legend name is still a mystery to me. The brand seems to have lost it's way. They have nice interiors and drive pretty well, but they are the automotive version of desert camo. They just blend into the background.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    A pleasant, innocuous & tepid sedan for those who want to spend $60K on a pleasant, innocuous & tepid sedan. Are there many people like that?
  • Options
    gofortheneckgofortheneck Member Posts: 42
    I figured LA out in a week.

But Mr. Riches can't find is way around LA - which is based on a straight-forward grid system - and we're supposed to think he will say anything about cars we can respect?!

Here's a tip Eric: blog about cooking and you can stay in the kitchen. And if you knew anything at all after 15 years of living in LA, you'd know LA "natives" are called "Angelinos".

My oh my! Edmunds' "What's Hot" has hit a new low with this guy!
  • Options
    eric_leric_l Member Posts: 7
    Why is the RLX even mentioned in the same sentence with the GS, A6, and 5-series? The RLX is a larger vehicle, with interior room akin to the XTS, Genesis, and even the Lexus LS. Those would be more its direct competitors rather than the midsize sports sedans.
  • Options
    autosocautosoc Member Posts: 7
    Nice car -- yes. Standout - no. Enough to steal shoppers from Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi -- probably not. It may steal a few from Hyundai or Lincoln, but not enough to leave anyone awake at night. Moreover, if people are willing to spend $60,000 on a car, does fuel efficiency really matter? Acura -- the Accord v6 is faster! Get a rear drive, sub-4 second 0-60, 8 speed tranny with a svelte, less polarizing design, and then you will be ready to compete. The 80s are over. Be of good cheer, however, you are in good company with Lincoln and Volvo.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I agree that the nav screen should be higher res on the RXL than the Accord, but I don't think that larger is really necessary.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    gofortheneck, before launching into a personal screed, it really helps to get your intended victim's name right. Erin Riches. Not Eric. She, not he, is one of the better writers & reviewers on the Edmunds staff. And if you cannot recognize a light-hearted segue into a complimentary review of the car's navigation system, and use it to fly off the handle, it is small wonder you didn't get the author's name right.
  • Options
    haro13haro13 Member Posts: 4
    @gofortheneck I live in LA area.. and yes.. this is that kind of city.
  • Options
    twistedridertwistedrider Member Posts: 4
    One more reason to think Honda's management team has their head up their behinds. This does not compete w/the aforementioned brands named in the article and this review is spot on. It just reinforces my thinking that they are just trying to overcharge and cash in for their mediocre products based on the Honda name. Sorry, Honda I'm not falling for it. Maybe someday there might be an about face, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    oaklandfan78oaklandfan78 Member Posts: 1
    A pretty fair review, but it's too early to call whether it will succeed or fail. The RLX does offer an alternative in the luxury segment for those who value comfort, reliability and a decent amount tech over the performance offered by its competitors. Enthusiasts seem to be critical of the car though, but given Honda's reputation, I would say performance is good-enough to appeal to the market.
  • Options
    exnevadan_exnevadan_ Member Posts: 25
    @gofortheneck

when you go for your own neck, look between you legs because your head must be well up your a__. Ms Riches (female) is one of the best reviewers/writers out there - very insightful and fair, not obsessed with one make/model per se (Madzasp
  • Options
    screwball71screwball71 Member Posts: 26
    The Accord EX V6 matches the RLX in terms of safety, refinement, build quality while surpassing it in terms of acceleration, performance AND it is much easier on the wallet to maintain.

Acura fixed one complaint of the RL (size), while taking away what made the RL standout in the first place (SH-AWD).

Just trying to understand Honda's logic with the RLX is giving me a dayum headache. It's almost as if they actively looked for ways to make this car dead on arrival, which it is.

Then they're changing the TL to the TLX because they don't know how to not mettle with things that aren't broken. The 3G TL was the best looking car on the road south of Exotics during it's production run but they HAD to mess that up.

If the 5G TL doesn't hit the ground running like the new RDX, and (the now long in the tooth but still competitive) MDX then Acura will be crushed by the end of the 2010's. WATCH...
  • Options
    mattster1mattster1 Member Posts: 5
    Wow. Sure they took the last generation of product on a path a bit too weird, but at least vehicles like the RDX were (formerly) packed with technology, drove amazing, and were worth owning over vehicles like the CRV with which they shared a platform.

Trying to recover from the styling errors of the past, this ultra-conservative/boring counter reaction isn't going to make things better. You're in trouble when mid-90's Volvos and stand out next to your offerings, and it's difficult to differentiate the car from a Hyundai or Suzuki.

Matters are not helped by the fact that the badge engineering is coming through full force with the latest round of product; from the center stack of this RLX shares with the '14 Odyssey to the now ubiquitous powertrain that will no doubt also find it's way into the next gen minivan as well the question must be asked: what warrants the upgrade from a basic Honda? The German stores are pretty tempting these days, and while this might be a great upsell for current Accord owners it's sure no aspirational vehicle. I expect that it's unlikely Acura will retain many current customers with this redesign or with that of the new RDX or MDX.

They need to snap out of this quick, Acura has had a short but great history and I know I'd like to see them stick around.
  • Options
    zeniffzeniff Member Posts: 7
    gofortheneck, when people talk with you, do they often find it frustrating to stay on the topic?

I find it amusing that you correlate one's directional sense is directly to an ability to judge the merits of a car.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I am baffled that anyone would try and use a sport mode in traffic. Sport modes to me imply use on a reasonably quiet piece of twisty road.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Interestingly gofortheneck shattered the record for most number of thumbs down for a single comment. We love Erin even more than the Tesla fanboys love the Prophet Elon!
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I think gofortheneck needs to re-register. I suggest his new user name be MrOwned.
  • Options
    thedonald1thedonald1 Member Posts: 1
    Front wheel drive Acura for 50 to 60 k? If they sell 10 of these, I will be surprised.
  • Options
    sj1417_sj1417_ Member Posts: 5
    It is only your opinion that Riches "is one of the better writers", just as he was only giving his opinion. Your point is no more valid than anyone else's.
  • Options
    dysonludysonlu Member Posts: 1
    What's wrong of being similar to an Accord? The latter trumps some of the so-called luxury cars out there. For instance, the Accord has fewer visible black plastic parts on its exterior than some of those "luxury" cars/SUVs.

People who brings up the "Accord argument" obviously are more into the brand image and the ego boost that the badge may provide them than the actual cars. They probably haven't even seen this one in person.
  • Options
    jtiendajtienda Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased 2014 acura rlx, had a 2011 .
    this 2014 is amazing, ride , electronics and up todate tech is the best
    I have seen and I looked at lots of high end autos, this is a beauty!