Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Acura

Comments

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    We'll get the standard "if your mirrors are adjusted properly you don't need this" responses but it is still handy and on multi-lane freeways you never know when the car to the other side of the lane you are aiming for won't notice you signaling and moving over
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The woman who nearly hit me this morning could have used the beeping BSM instead of the 5 second blare of my horn. Also, the BSM only lights up when you turn on the signal or does it only provide an audible beep when the signal is activated. Most systems light the indicator whether the signal is on or not.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    The fact that you need to apply the turn signal makes it useless for the kind of drivers that need it most!
  • Options
    unrealdigitalunrealdigital Member Posts: 2
    It's good to hear the BSI works efficiently. I wish they would add their "lanewatch", because in our Accord I really like it in traffic situations as well. It's cool to actually *see* the right-sided blind spot and anticipate the traffic situation. Sometimes I just leave it on because I feel like it :P

It would have been interesting to hear about your experiences with LKAS and CMBS if you guys had an Advance to work with.
    Thanks for the blog!
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    All that [non-permissible content removed] would drive me nuts. The beeping and booping and flashing lights. That's feel-good stuff...if you're not paying attention and looking around, that's not going to make up for it.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    All of the electronic aids can be disabled if you want to purposely never use them. I like having those aids, as even if you're paying attention it's still possible to miss something. And if an alarm from the BSI helps to prevent an accident, that's great.
  • Options
    chuckie6chuckie6 Member Posts: 15
    allthingshonda & banhugh: BSI just lights up when someone approaches your blind spot. Most times you don't even notice it. But if you use your turn signal, or if you don't use the turn signal but start turning into a lane anyway, the BSI will flash and beep. And, fordson, it's not 'feel-good stuff.' It's useful for the exact reasons Donna stated: the thoughtless and inattentive morons who like to fly past people. It came in handy on my first test drive when I was on an unfamiliar road. It gave me a split-second faster heads up than I would have realized on my own ... and sometimes that's the difference between avoiding an accident.