Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Acura

image2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Is the redesigned 2014 Acura MDX good enough to remain at the top of the luxury crossover segment? We're testing one for 12 months to find out.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    "...the vehicle was provided by Acura."

Have you ever bought with your own money of Edmunds.com any Acura the last 5-6 years?
  • eclogiteeclogite Member Posts: 48
    "GPS-linked automatic climate control"? Why? That doesn't make any sense.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    Looking forward to reading about this one. My wife and I recently got an 07 sport with entertainment package and are loving it over our soon to be departed '11 crv. It's age shows in a few places from the tech standpoint (main one being no usb, for some reason on the sport they replace the usb with a 110v outlet instead of adding the outlet, makes for a useless 'aux' button on the dash) but still has a ton of features. I wish edmunds would do some more used car long-termers, maybe not the $3k lexus, but something in the $15k-$20k range pitted against a comparable new car would be an interesting read.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    This plugs the vacancy left from the outgoing CR-V. Please provide feedback on how luxurious it feels compared to the Infiniti and other competition. Also, worth the upgrade over a Honda Pilot EX-L? (that's a tough question, subjective)
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    The MDX was really the first 3 row luxury CUV. Since it's out, really only the Infiniti and Buick have joined the market. Having cross-shopped just about every 3 row CUV I would say that the last MDX had a much less useful backseat than either the Infiniti or the Buick. I would also say that the other Lambdas and the CX-9 have more useful 3rd rows as well. Would be curious to know if the 3rd row of the MDX has gotten any roomier.
  • rmhpmirmhpmi Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for another useless website "upgrade" Edmunds! Why, why, WHY can't you people leave well enough alone? Why?

It took me five minutes to find the link to long-term tests. Why? Why move car reviews to the bottom of the home page? So you can plaster another photo of KIA in my face?

Your site is getting as bad as R & T's.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
  • pgh111pgh111 Member Posts: 11
    Differences noted between my previous 2009 MDX Base and 2014 with Tech:
    - complication of routine tasks such as heated seats. Used to be able to blindly flip switch, now have to remove eyes from road for a few seconds to use touch screen.
    - air conditioner could not cool vehicle on 90+ degree days. I read that there is a new type of system for the a/c that eliminated a second blower motor for rear system. Never had an issue with 2009
    - routinely have issues with rear camera. Takes several seconds to turn on (find myself backing out without using it because I get tired of waiting) and it often times doesn't shut off. Have driven several times with a nice view of the passing pavement behind me. Acura said "things like that happen with new technology". My other vehicle which is several years old has no issues whatsoever with rear camera.
    - rear door opening seems to be smaller than previous model. Wheelbase was increased, but angle at which roof slopes seems to be the same, resulting in a smaller rear opening (top to bottom).
    - overall a much quieter and fuel efficient vehicle than our 2009 was. Cruising interstate is very peaceful and have noticed increase in mpg.
    - sliding rear seat is useful when you need a few more inches of storage in the rear
    - unbelievable that there is no power source in the rear, kids routinely used it for their video games, etc. only one accessible for 2nd row is in console, 2009 had one below the aux climate controls in second row. Unless they climb to the rear, where there is one in the cargo area.
  • franktwofranktwo Member Posts: 1
    We get 20.8 mph on I-75 driving at 75mph. Imagine milage at 60mph.
    Long trips are extremely comfortable with the MDX superior seat construction/cushion material combined with the MDX suspension and quiet cabin. We love every aspect of this car. Our only regret is that we did not buy the MDX Advance with the additional safety options (adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist)