Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How to Shop for Car Insurance

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageHow to Shop for Car Insurance

Learn how to Shop for Auto Insurance and get the coverage you need at the best price. Includes tips for getting Online Quotes and choosing a reputable Car Insurance Company.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    aderader Member Posts: 8
    8/3/2011

Stay away from Progressive Auto Insurance. When I called to speak with a representative and specifically asked her NOT to process my payment with my Visa card information on file, she went ahead and did it anyway. She did not tell me she was processing the payment, she did not give me any sort of authorization number and I specifically said i wanted to make the payment online myself so that I could print out proof of my payment. These people are reckless and irresponsible with their customer's private information and when I called in to address the issue, they showed no remorse. I've canceled my auto insurance with progressive due to the mishandling of the VISA card information which they were not supposed to keep on file - but did anyway. These guys just do whatever they want and help themselves to money out of your bank account. Their customer service reps have an abrasive and arrogant attitude. I shopped around and got a better deal at All State who treated me with the high level of customer service and professionalism that I used to get at Progressive but it now appears they don't care about their customers or privacy of information. They also had the nerve to charge me a $50 cancellation fee after having messed me around so badly... Stay away.
  • Options
    c_lachnitc_lachnit Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.This story and another Edmunds article, "10 Steps to Buying Auto Insurance" http://www.edmunds.com/auto-insurance/10-steps-to-buying-auto-insurance.html point out how important it is to check on how the insurance company is faring with consumers by looking at consumer surveys and reports filed with state insurance departments. It also helps to let a company know exactly why you've taken your business elsewhere.

--Carroll Lachnit, Features Editor, Edmunds.com
  • Options
    johney2johney2 Member Posts: 1
    Fantastic work guys I’m a die-heart fan of your web site.
    CIRS
  • Options
    tomlove1248tomlove1248 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question that I am trying to buy a NJM Auto Insurance but after submitting my application they reject my application because i have 2 accidents report run by lexis Nexis. Now the truth is first accident was happen in 2015 and it was a small fender bender and was my fault. and then second happen in 2016 and also fender bender but was not my fault but since the driver took off from the scene and we are unable to track the driver so my current insurance pay the damage. can some one advise me how i can proceed in that situation and also what are the limitation of claims with NJM insurance. seems like they are very strict on the claims. Please advise someone. :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2016
    Have you talked to someone on the phone and described your situation?

Looks like NJM has a good reputation - maybe they are stricter than others about claims regardless of fault?