Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Corvette Will Retain Leaf Spring Suspension

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Corvette Will Retain Leaf Spring Suspension

A leaked sketch of the new C7 shows that the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette will continue to use transverse composite leaf springs.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    "This may seem like old technology to some, but Chevrolet has proven over and over again that the transverse leaf spring can be used to great effect with the right design."
    This can also be said about the Mustang's rear suspension. Sure, it works but there are proven, better designs out there. Ford and Chevy is simply thinking about keeping the cost down, nothing wrong with that.
  • mej2mej2 Member Posts: 4
    Based on the Corvette's various stellar track times, I don't think a low cost proven design is a bad idea by any means for the suspension.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    I'm not sure if it's a cost issue or not in this case. The Corvette C6 had double wishbones all around, and almost everything was aluminum. And I can't imagine a composite leaf spring is particularly cheap. We're definitely not seeing the same sort of overt cost consciousness we find at the tail-end of a Mustang. I suspect they prefer it for packaging reasons.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Indeed I had always heard it was a packaging thing too.
  • tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    How do I see the other comments on this article?
  • tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    So now I can see that I can only see the comments after posting one. Edmunds, please do not kill the Inside Line approach to commenting on articles. This sucks.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    I'm not seeing the same behavior you describe here on Google Chrome and a laptop PC. I can see and read comments without being signed it at all. Yes, I have to click on the "Comments (6)" blue box to display them, but that's it.

I do have to sign in if I want to post, as I did in order to write this, but that was always the case. And I checked "remember me on this computer" so I don't have to sign in again.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• igeekoneigeekone Member Posts: 0
    ERRR... I've tried to give this a chance. But, burring comments behind a button and disabling comments from certain articles totally misses the point of a blog. We need community interaction, which cannot happen when you silence us.

Though, I like the rating system for comments. There is so much potential here but management is competent.
  • ford_hondaford_honda Member Posts: 9
    Off topic, but the comment section was superior on the Inside Line site.
  • formerlyformerly Member Posts: 0
    actualsize, the only real problem I have noticed with the site migration is that there is no way to post comments on the long term test blog.
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    I miss Inside Line. :-(
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    I miss Inside Line. :-(
  • theinsurgenttheinsurgent Member Posts: 1
    Test
  • elwoodzelwoodz Member Posts: 0
    Anybody else notice that it also has a pretty good skectch of what the front end could look like?
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    Elwoodz
    me too, now more hast been leakest.

SEESH, now I can finally get to the comments and comment. That was a hassle. Now, where is Straightline and ReadersRides... now to keep on searchings. gaaah. Well at least some of the regulars of IL have made it here.
  • mr_fusionmr_fusion Member Posts: 1
    Wow, GM. All of this great technology added to the next Corvette, but you're still sticking it out with pushrods and leaf springs.

It's really sad when all of the other sports cars (i.e. 911, Viper) have been using coil-over suspensions for years now. Even the C5-R and C6.R don't use leaf springs. What's the point of technology transfer from racing when you don't use a variant of the coil-over suspension setup from your very own race car? It's a proven setup!

Maybe the next Vette gets optional Recaro seats at least.
  • cz_75cz_75 Member Posts: 7
    Wow, I can barely see any detail in your tiny photos.
  • rh67_rh67_ Member Posts: 3
    Leaf springs - on a 2014 model....

This dinosaur should have been put out to grass 20 years ago.