Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Detroit Auto Show: 2015 Ford F-150 (FAQ)

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2014 Detroit Auto Show: 2015 Ford F-150 (FAQ)

The 2015 Ford F-150 is an all-new full-size pickup truck that will arrive in dealers in the fall of 2014. Here are all the details from 2014 Detroit Auto Show.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    Disappointed that the new 9-10 speed auto transmission is not offer here, yet
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    The weight savings are excellent and the engine choices are interesting, but why does Ford have to be in the race for overwrought, overtall, overchromed front end styling? The Superduty is a terrible looking truck and this redesign is encroaching on it. Too much crappy plasti-chrome on a six-foot tall grill.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    The look is very aggressive. It will probably look great with big tires on it. The problem is that without big tires, it looks like they are trying too hard.....

I don't really understand why you need 4 different engine choices and yet one transmission fits all.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    @emajor Well, it isn't just styling. You need a lot of airflow for the radiators (and AC condensor and intercooler and transmission cooler) if you're going to tow well over 11,000 pounds.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    500rwhp
    They need the engine choices because there are folks who simply will not buy a truck with a V6 no matter how much better it is than the V8. Eliminate the V8 and they lose a lot of customers. Besides, the V8 and EB 3.5L V6 are used in other vehicles so they aren't reducing efficiency by offering specialized engines.
  • gregnvgregnv Member Posts: 9
    Aluminum for a body seems a bit exotic. While I never owned an aluminum bodied vehicle, the only Edmunds test I can recall with one led to long and costly repairs as such bodies require specialized and expensive repair work. (just remembering the long term A8 http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a8/2012/long-term-road-test/wrap-up.html )

Seems that maintenance costs may suffer with an aluminum body, and that may be important on a work truck.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Will a 2.7L turbo engine really deliver fuel economy gains in a full size truck? Seems drivers will have to dig deep into the boost much of the time to propel such a vehicle forward. I wouldn't be surprised if real-world fuel economy is no better than the NA V6.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @darthbimmer "Seems motoring journalists will dig deep into the boost much of the time just because they can and then whine about the mileage". Fixed it for you. :-)
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    When does Ford's contract with the external door keypad supplier expire?
  • karbuffkarbuff Member Posts: 34
    Nice updates. Gotta wonder about the front mounted camera on the grill under the oval. Blind spots are supposed to be on the side and back. Maybe the black box can record that front end collision for your insurance company?
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    This article repeated states, "An all-new 2.7-liter Ecoboost V6". It's a 4-cylinder.
  • rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    All weights listed here are from manufacturer's website. Model is crewcab 4x4 with 6ft bed. Averaging the Ford's current 3.5 ecoboost with their 5.0 V8 vs Chevy new 4.3L V6 with their 5.3 V8:

Chevy: 5244 pounds
    Ford: 5723 pounds

Ford claims up to 700 pounds weight reduction on their popular crewcab 4x4 6ft bed model; so the new 2015 weights in at around 5723-700= around 5023 pounds. A difference of around 221 pounds between the new Ford and Chevy.

For comparison, the new 2015 GM Colorado is about 900 pounds lighter than the Silverado per GM, so it weights in around 5244-900=4344
  • trmckintrmckin Member Posts: 10
    @themandarin - regarding the door key pad... I hope never. Sadly, it's one of the best features on any vehicle I've ever owned.

As far as the article goes, when i read the press release from ford, I understood the FX4 version is going away and it is n
  • ed341ed341 Member Posts: 0
    I don't even know where to put this comment, so here will have to do. I have seen images on Yahoo of the WRX Sti, 911 Targa and many other interesting cars have been revealed at detroit, and yet I find no mention of them on Edmunds! Whats hot top news story: The Titan is being recalled. Get it together, this site is a joke.
  • trmckintrmckin Member Posts: 10
    http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/detroit/2014/

911 and WRX are very low volume in comparison to trucks. You could combine the 2 vehicles and not touch the sales numbers. Most sites post articles that get hits. F-150's generate web traffic. The others are niche vehicles. The titan is about to under go a full redesign and adding a cummins diesel so people are looking for titan news. It's really just simple supply and demand Ed... Cater to the majority. I'm sure the others are fine cars but you aren't going to get any major news article on this site or many others (unless its a suby or porsche fan site) when the best selling vehicle of all time is shaking things up. To say edmunds needs to get with it is a stretch. There are some pics of the vehicles you are looking on this link though.

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/detroit/2014/
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Aluminum is an expensive metal compared to steel. I'm all for the weight savings, but if that means tacking another $3,000 on top of a very pricey segment, it might put it out of reach for some.
  • tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    Neighbor just bought a 2014 F150. Looking at his new truck in his driveway then the 2015 pics here, I would think I'm seeing the same truck less a few "tweeks and tucks" here and there! The Atlas pics were awesome, but we all knew we were not getting that style! Keep the cost same as a steel bodied bed and cab! I don't care what the MPG or HP rating is, I would never want a 4-banger anything in a full size truck turbo or otherwise! Hopefully just a mis-print in the article, lol. I hope the physical changes look better in person, then compared to my neighbors 2014.
  • majin_ssj_ericmajin_ssj_eric Member Posts: 49
    Great looking new F-150! Best looking Ford truck ever in my opinion. Wish the interior wa a little less blocky but still looks nice. This, the new GMC, and the new Ram all look very promising...
  • ed341ed341 Member Posts: 0
    trmckin - I'm not saying those vehicles are more or less important than this truck, I just didn't know where to put the comment. Over at Motortrend there are images of all the new vehicles at Detroit to click through on the main page. I'll be over there, instead of the giant ad that is Edmunds.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    dodgeman07 says "This article repeated states, 'An all-new 2.7-liter Ecoboost V6'. It's a 4-cylinder." . . . . . Looking at photos of the engine, it surely looks like a V6.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    darthbimmer,
    "I wouldn't be surprised if real-world fuel economy is no better than the NA V6."

That's exactly what they are looking for. The EB 2.7L V6 will have better power, torque specifically, than the NA V6 so if it gets the same gas mileage as the latter then the owner wins.

dodgeman07,
    Read the official press from Ford. The EB 2.7L is a V6 not an I4.

trmckin,
    I agree about the keypad. A lot of people who never had it make fun of it but it is very useful and basically they're just jealous.
  • joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    Aluminum body mean no more rust. That is a real winner there. saving weight is secondary to me I'm tired of the rust.
  • mitt_zombiemitt_zombie Member Posts: 27
    The F-150 is now officially a car for a yuppie to drive to the office in. Drive it on a worksite if you dare.
    Aluminum is an expensive metal compared to steel. I'm all for the weight savings, but if that means tacking another $3,000 on top of a very pricey segment, it might put it out of reach for some.

Ford took the workingman's truck and turned it into something people will be scared to park at the supermarket next to other cars....
    Aluminum body mean no more rust. That is a real winner there. saving weight is secondary to me I'm tired of the rust.

I have a 99 Honda I drive in the winter when it snows, not a speck of rust on it... What are you buying in the 21st century that still rusts out?