Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra: Details Before 2013 Detroit Auto Show Debut

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Chevrolet
image2014 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra: Details Before 2013 Detroit Auto Show Debut

GM doesn't get tricky with new-generation Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra: three body styles, three box lengths and a V6 and two V8s backed by a six-speed automatic.

Read the full story here

Comments

• zeleezelee Member Posts: 1
    1 photo? I can't say if i like it or not with 1 photo.
  • trmckintrmckin Member Posts: 10
    As expected, the chevy version won't win any beauty contests but the sierra is sharp. Look forward to some real world testing to see if they improved the rear diff logic for those of us that live in colder climates. I'm actually excited that I have 3 good choices when it comes to domestic pickups when I start shopping next summer.
  • jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    Pretty boring redesign.
  • yamahr1yamahr1 Member Posts: 9
    "Edmunds says: GM plays it safe with its new generation of full-size pickups. The market will determine if the General should've taken more risks, particularly with styling."

Leave it to Edmunds to take the most negative spin it can with any new GM introduction. They probably had this alternate version ready just in case: "Edmunds says: GM takes risks with its new generation of full-size pickups. The market will determine if the General should've been more conservative, particularly with styling."
  • rocket_rocket_ Member Posts: 1
    holy crap the new blog format is awful.
  • formerlyformerly Member Posts: 0
    One can hope that some day, evidently not today, automakers will make truck noses more aerodynamic instead of the bluff bows favored nowadays.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Ehhhh. Hate the squared off wheel wells. Just lowered my expectations for the Tahoe.......
  • ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    For some weird reason the silverado is just screaming Colorado Colorado. I feel like I see too much Chevy Colorado in the design doesn't blow me away as I as hoping. Interior screams Ford Super Duty real bad nothing seems to 1 off from what I've seen or read about. Put a 7 speed dual clutch auto and be a first (leader) and then buyers will come.
  • ricciwilsonricciwilson Member Posts: 1
    What is NEW here? Not happy or excited because I'm waiting to replace my 2001 GMC Yukon! Not looking forward to see this design on a redesign Yukon, or the other 3 though Cadillac should do something exciting with the Escalade as usual! Should be called a light re fresh!!???
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    One of the few GM interiors that doesn't look like it came out of an '88 Beretta...
  • rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    Looks like they just slap on some after market headlights and called a day. Major fail
  • vizcarmbvizcarmb Member Posts: 13
    Man Step!!!
  • fordfrenzyfordfrenzy Member Posts: 2
    It looks a mess
  • plrider4578plrider4578 Member Posts: 5
    Nice wheels and that's about it. Interior is an epic fail; same cheap plastic bubble buttons from the Camaro. The nav/stereo/hvac unit looks like my daughter's Leap Frog. The exterior and wheel arches are too squared off. I'll wait for the new Tundra.
  • ferrari4meferrari4me Member Posts: 0
    So Inside Line has been killed off by the equal of a badly written dealer brochure?

Gone is the humor, well written prose, and the relationship with readers.

Now Edmunds has become just another tool for consumers looking to squeeze another $125 off their next Camry purchase!

Hope you guys enjoy bankruptcy court cause that is what happens when you abandon your market!

I'm outta here!
  • mustang5507mustang5507 Member Posts: 2
    Ford and Dodge (Ram) haven't taken huge chances with the styling of their trucks in years. They have all been evolutionary - why should GM be any different? Sharpening the needlessly round edges has given this truck a more elegant look, and the interior looks great. Hopefully the engines are more competitive. Especially the 4.3L. That's at least 2-3 generations behind the times.
  • rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    not very promising on paper or in pics, so far...
  • bigsky_klxbigsky_klx Member Posts: 0
    Horrid design,

I have been a huge GM fan most of my life, especially the trucks, but this is terrible.

What changed? Who designed this thing? GM constantly gets bashed for plain generic trucks. So what do they do? The come out with an even more generic truck.

The interior is even worse.

I didn't think the 2007-13 good get any worse, boy was I wrong.

Sorry GM, I am no longer a customer.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    They sure are scared to do a major exterior change. Too bad, this look is outdated. Get some balls gm.
  • bestjinjobestjinjo Member Posts: 7
    I seriously don't know what they were thinking. Being redirected from a modern website with large images like InsideLine to www.Edmunds.com, is like going back in time 5 years. This is an awful experience now. Whatever they were trying to do to bring together an enthusiast website and a website for the average auto buyer is not working at all. Keep them separate or figure out how to redesign the entire website to work properly.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yes it really sucks, Edmunds has been going down hill for years, now they're getting rid of IL, forget it. Moving on to something else.

M
  • 1ToBeOn2Wheels1ToBeOn2Wheels Member Posts: 1
    I miss the full-screen, hi-res photo option the old blog format used to have. I can barely tell if I like the interior or not because the photos are so small. :(
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    Terrible interior.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    please go back to original blog format, i freeking hate this
  • ed124ced124c Member Posts: 0
    I don't like or dislike these trucks, but I have to say: this mild reflash is just not going to get Chevy/GMC a lot of new customers. Chrysler realized their only way to sell their trucks was with eye-popping style. So, they did it. Sure, Ram is in at least third place, but they are making a profit. GMs pickups are resting on their laurels (if they had any), and they have been doing this for 10-15 years.
    I had a laugh when some blog said that GMs new V6 would be designed to be a truck engine only. I guess that is a snide remark about the VERY popular Ford EcoBoost V6, which of course is used in other vehicles. Perhaps GM should wait and see what buyers will buy-- before they immediately begin bragging.

I was hoping for a nice, close rivalry between Ford and GM. But now it seems like it will be slow business as usual-- for GM anyway. I can hear thousands of pickup buyers heading for the Ford store after seeing these photos. What a shame.
    Okay, here is the good and the bad, in reference to my post above:

1. It was posted immediately.
    2. All my paragraphs were mashed together into a stream of sentences. Should be interesting to see what it does with this post. Ah, well, just more things we have to put up with, I guess.
    I give up. They shoved everything together again. But not THIS post!
  • legimelegime Member Posts: 4
    This truck is GM's answer to the future? Say what? SAME truck IMHO. NO turbo. NO CNG fuel option and NO diesel?

GM you represent the past.
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    My god. an actual dedesign.
    I didn't know that those existed.
    (Dedesign->Design->Redesign)
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    Cannot see pics when commenting, that sucks.

^There was an empty line left here.
    I changed to a new line now.
    This line is indented.
    the following is in forein characters (こんにちわ車)
    Lets see which ones went through...
  • dmax6dmax6 Member Posts: 1
    looks like crap compared to the Dodge Ram
  • winomasterwinomaster Member Posts: 2
    Gm used to tout their "Hydro-formed" chassis members as if this was something great. But, that meant that they were stamping out the frames instead of very expensively welding up a box frame as Ford does. The averave customer has no idea what any of this means so they are led to believe that Hydro-formed is something good.

Since that seems to have fooled the customers so well, now GM is back at it with their ads that trumpet the use of "rolled"steel in their trucks. Any steel that is not cast, is "rolled" steel. The people that run this site, Edmunds, co-operate in this sham by suggesting that "rolled" steel is a superior alternative to stamped steel. I'm sure these jackasses understand that all stamped steel starts as rolled steel.

GM has such contempt for the public and are certain that the media will not call them on their advertising statements. Now, of course, they are not lieng to the public. What they say is true. But it is nonetheless intended to deceive. And if the media was not so corrupt, they would be being called on this...I dare say, rediculed on this point.
  • winomasterwinomaster Member Posts: 2
    GM has had a tradition of styling their cars and trucks handsomely. And this placed them squarely in the middle of the market. Ford has seemed not to spend as much on styling their cars. People that know trucks well, have for decades said buy a Ford for work, buy GM for style. And that formula has kept the two companies from competing too much head-on. Dodge for some years has pursued a strategy of styling their trucks more outlandishly in an attempt to draw customers from that pool of buyers that find mainstream styling too tepid. That is an approach Chrysler has used at times over many decades. Witness the huge finned cars they sold in the late 1950's. The problem is that when GM sees Chrysler having success selling more exaggerated styling, GM takes it as a signal to move their styling toward the more contrived look that is having success at Dodge.

What GM seems not to understand is that the true signal is not what is going on in Chrysler styling, but what is happening in the economy. When the economy is bubbling at a fast pace, buyers are going to prefer more exaggerated styling. To follow Dodge styling as a signal from the marketplace is a fundamental mistake. Today, though, we don't have that boiling economy. But the current success of Dodge has GM confused They think the marketplace is signaling that it wants the more exaggerated themes seen in Dodge truck styling. So, GM is hedging their bets with a mismash of traditional GM styling themes and the newer Dodge exuberance.. Someone in GM management is believes the risk of ignoring Dodges success it to much in a segment that produces such a large proportion of GM's profits. To my eye, styling of GM's trucks has been taken out of the hands of the stylists and subjected to excessive control by the "suits"..