Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Detroit Auto Show: 2015 Volkswagen Golf R (FAQ)

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2014 Detroit Auto Show: 2015 Volkswagen Golf R (FAQ)

The 2015 Volkswagen Golf R is a high-performance hatchback that will arrive in dealers in early 2015.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• generebgenereb Member Posts: 3
    The big (as yet unanswered) question is whether or not the stability and traction control can be fully disabled. I love hot hatches (currently own a Focus ST), and I've heard great things about the GTI and Golf R. As a regular autocrosser, though, fully defeatable stability control is a must, so I've always had to scratch VW hatches off my shopping list.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    "How Many Body Styles Are There?
    The 2015 Golf R will be sold as a four-door hatchback only, rather than offering a choice of two or four doors as is the case with the current Golf R."

And yet, the photos right above this statement with the caption "2015 Volkswagen Golf R Picture" show a 2 door car...
  • engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    Normally, this is the part where I would inquire about the future availability of the Scirocco R sports coupe, especially since the Golf R will no longer be available as a 2-door. Instead I think that I would probably be wasting my time. Perhaps Volkswagen will continue to tease us with more road tests of a car that will not be available in the U.S. I would like to think that perhaps the elimination of the 2-door Golf R might be a prelude to the introduction of the Scirocco coupe, but I don't want to get my hopes up, only to be disappointed. Oh well....
  • marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    I'd rather have an R wagon - preferably a Passat R wagon. Now that would be cool. I like hot hatches, but for those with a family, it's too damn small.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Engine specs look good on paper. AWD should give it a real performance edge over FWD predecessors. Will be interested to see test drive reports. And pictures of the 4-door, not the 2-door which won't even be offered in the US.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    This is a VW - crankshaft hp specs = what's found at the wheels, torque even higher. 330 hp and 340 torque at the crank, if history is any indication. Evo is competition? Golf R is near-luxury HB; Evo is brilliant-performing ham can.
  • jkavanaghjkavanagh Member Posts: 26
    Enlightenment can be found in the photo captions, gents...

@genereb - see caption for photo #4
    @banhugh - see caption for photo #1 (the photo you're referencing)
  • stonehammerstonehammer Member Posts: 5
    but... can you turn the traction/stability control OFF?