Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Gets New 2.5-Liter Engine

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Gets New 2.5-Liter Engine

The 2014 Mazda CX-5 gets a new Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine on uplevel models.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bhysjulienbhysjulien Member Posts: 5
    Is Mazda still planning on bringing the diesel version over?
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    The 2014 CX-5 will be one MPG better than the new Rav4, which is one MPG better than the class-leading seller CRV

Is that enough to move the market Mazda's way?
  • datduudedatduude Member Posts: 1
    Love the design and sporty package. But surely theres got to be a little more on improvements? I can appreciate the ground clearance but the huge gap in the wheel well is so big that even with 19" wheel package, there still a huge gap. Would like more wheel selection to include black, which has been the new trend now for at least two years. What happened to the paddle shifters? Most newer vehicles since 2011 has become standard with automatics even with the automatic-manual shifter that is currently in the CX-5. I think consumers will agree that paddle shifters promote safer driving by keeping both hands on the wheel, and its more fun. Okay so the spare tire hidden underneath the carpet, cool but thats what road side assistance is for. Rather have hidden xtra cargo bins like in the Mini. But definitely the paddle shiffters need to be added. It is the best SUV out on the market, congrats on that.
  • gunnytoogunnytoo Member Posts: 2
    We were in the market for a new car and were considering a Mazda CX-5 but was not really that keen on the 2.0 liter engine. I told the dealer what we wanted and if it ever showed up to call us. Much to our surprise 8 days later we got a call from the dealer telling us that our car was just unloaded from a transport. Needless to say we went down to see a new 2014 Mazda CX-5 with the 2.5 liter engine, grand touring and with the tech package. We bought it on the spot.

How does it drive? Five days later we received a call of the death of a family member in Utah which is 750 miles southeast of us. We loaded up the new CX-5 and headed into the winter storms. We have driven this route dozens of times to visit family, but not in such poor weather. What a test for the CX-5. We negotiated freezing rain; snow and fog so thick you could barely make out the painted lines on the roadway for 100’s of miles.

This car was not only comfortable on this 14 hour journey but provided feedback from all systems, including the blind spot monitoring system and the built in navigation system. The all-wheel drive was stable and allowed the car to take corners at speed without drift or over steer. The 2525R55 x 19 tires give it a stiffer ride but less drift and better feedback to the driver. Once we reached our destination we encountered 1 ½ inches of solid ice and while slick, I had complete control at all times with no loss of steering or braking.

During our stay in Utah we encountered 18 inches of snow fall and the CX-5 managed that with ease and total control. In just 2 weeks after purchasing our CX-5 we put 2000 miles on it in the most serve and changing weather conditions. I don’t think I could have designed a better test for it than the one Mother Nature handed us.

Handling: Excellent. I like the way it hold the lane in a curve.

Power: The 2.5 liter engine is a real upgrade and nice response

Comfort: Heated seats with 8 way drivers seat and lumbar adjustment is very comfortable

Visibility: very good except pillars are a bit large however they contain air bags so a reasonable tradeoff

BSMS: Blind spot system does work very well but is prone to false positives. At least it is looking to your sides.

TomTom Navigation: It gives good directions once you can get it programed which is a problem. The software is buggy and the system needs an upgrade which is available from TomTom on line. The maps are also out of date but you get an update for free if you can navigate the complex process. I had to call TomTom directly to get it figured out.

Fuel economy: 26.2 MPG at freeway speeds (Ogden UT to Portland OR)

Audio Command: Works ok but does get confused with an iPhone and can lock up completely which requires a reset of the ignition or unplugging the iPhone. Mazda has some work to do here.

HVAC system: Loved the dual controls and the precise temperature settings.

Automatic wipers: Not so good; they tend to clean a clean windshield.

Adaptive headlights: Love them once I got used to them. They turn 15 degrees into your turn.

Fog lights: They are there but I can tell if they are on or off. They need to be brighter.

Sun roof: Provided comfortable airflow in the vent position at highway speeds

Would I buy another one. Yes I would.
  • gunnytoogunnytoo Member Posts: 2
    We were in the market for a new car and were considering a Mazda CX-5 but was not really that keen on the 2.0 liter engine. I told the dealer what we wanted and if it ever showed up to call us. Much to our surprise 8 days later we got a call from the dealer telling us that our car was just unloaded from a transport. Needless to say we went down to see a new 2014 Mazda CX-5 with the 2.5 liter engine, grand touring and with the tech package. We bought it on the spot.

How does it drive? Five days later we received a call of the death of a family member in Utah which is 750 miles southeast of us. We loaded up the new CX-5 and headed into the winter storms. We have driven this route dozens of times to visit family, but not in such poor weather. What a test for the CX-5. We negotiated freezing rain; snow and fog so thick you could barely make out the painted lines on the roadway for 100’s of miles.

This car was not only comfortable on this 14 hour journey but provided feedback from all systems, including the blind spot monitoring system and the built in navigation system. The all-wheel drive was stable and allowed the car to take corners at speed without drift or over steer. The 2525R55 x 19 tires give it a stiffer ride but less drift and better feedback to the driver. Once we reached our destination we encountered 1 ½ inches of solid ice and while slick, I had complete control at all times with no loss of steering or braking.

During our stay in Utah we encountered 18 inches of snow fall and the CX-5 managed that with ease and total control. In just 2 weeks after purchasing our CX-5 we put 2000 miles on it in the most serve and changing weather conditions. I don’t think I could have designed a better test for it than the one Mother Nature handed us.

Handling: Excellent. I like the way it hold the lane in a curve.

Power: The 2.5 liter engine is a real upgrade and nice response

Comfort: Heated seats with 8 way drivers seat and lumbar adjustment is very comfortable

Visibility: very good except pillars are a bit large however they contain air bags so a reasonable tradeoff

BSMS: Blind spot system does work very well but is prone to false positives. At least it is looking to your sides.

TomTom Navigation: It gives good directions once you can get it programed which is a problem. The software is buggy and the system needs an upgrade which is available from TomTom on line. The maps are also out of date but you get an update for free if you can navigate the complex process. I had to call TomTom directly to get it figured out.

Fuel economy: 26.2 MPG at freeway speeds (Ogden UT to Portland OR)

Audio Command: Works ok but does get confused with an iPhone and can lock up completely which requires a reset of the ignition or unplugging the iPhone. Mazda has some work to do here.

HVAC system: Loved the dual controls and the precise temperature settings.

Automatic wipers: Not so good; they tend to clean a clean windshield.

Adaptive headlights: Love them once I got used to them. They turn 15 degrees into your turn.

Fog lights: They are there but I can tell if they are on or off. They need to be brighter.

Sun roof: Provided comfortable airflow in the vent position at highway speeds

Would I buy another one. Yes I would.