Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Audi A3, S3 Sedans Debut Ahead of 2013 New York Auto Show

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Audi

imageNew Audi A3, S3 Sedans Debut Ahead of 2013 New York Auto Show

Audi takes the wraps off its all-new A3 sedan at a private preview before the 2013 New York Auto Show.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    Nice looking car, but based on pictures, I'd give it to the CLA, both exterior and interior. The CLA is just more expressive and doesn't look as staid.
  • smudge12smudge12 Member Posts: 19
    Looks like a sexier Jetta, which isn't saying much. I get that Audi's design philosophy is supposed to be no-nonsense, but I think they take it too seriously sometimes. They should occasionally let their imaginations flow like they did with the R8 and apply it to their mass-production vehicles. The interior is nice though.
  • rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    I had a friend back in Germany who was an assembly line inspector at the Ingolstadt plant. Of course, he was able to buy an Audi at an employee discount of some sort. I believe it was 1992 or 93, but he had a 100 (If memory serves correct) Quattro coupe, which was a hatchback. I swear, this A3;s profile reminds me a lot of that old Quattro. Just remove the rear doors and you'de have almost the same thing, in profile. I loved his Quattro, for it was very unique looking and had great build quality. I like this new thing, but I'd be scared to even make the 120 mile trip to look at one in person for being dissapointed. I bet it would be trash quality. After all, the parent company think that in order to make something half-way affordable, you fill it with cheap, rattley components, and with a VW sourced engine, well, use your imagination.

But, nice looking car. A little throw-back design language which they could use in one model.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Looks sharp in the pictures. Clean design and compact size remind me of the original A4 brought to the US in the mid 90s. Current A4 has inflated in size. But that's how so many car companies are managing models today-- take a great compact, grow it bigger, introduce a new model to do what the old one can't do anymore.
  • fortstringfortstring Member Posts: 111
    "I bet it would be trash quality."

A Jetta is one thing, but what makes you so confident that Audi would put "trash quality" into the cabin of a luxury compact? The Edmunds man said in the video preview that interior quality is just as impressive as the larger Audis, no less, so your comment comes off as way off the mark.
  • rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    ." A Jetta is one thing, but what makes you so confident that Audi would put "trash quality" into the cabin of a luxury compact?
    Not to offend, but the trend lately seems to be that a car designed for the NA market ( in other words, more affordable for those who lately get jazzed over Kias) will have quality shortcuts and not even noticed. After reading these comments for several years (when there was Inside Line) it seems many posters here don't notice, or even care that soft-touch door and dash surfaces are going away, so long as there's plenty of "tech stuff" to look at. So no, I'm not "way off the mark," until we get to see and feel in person.
  • 330i_zhp330i_zhp Member Posts: 55
    "so long as there's plenty of "tech stuff" to look at" - You've got a point there. Features do have a way of masking overall quality. That said, it's obvious that there is a strong market for this kind of production. At the end of the day, the game is all about money and that's one way to do it.