Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• bls1bls1 Member Posts: 4
    I just replaced my trasmission gasket and filter.When I went to take the pan off I used a hammer and screwdriver and I put a dent (burr) on the housing(where the pan bolts to).I went ahead and put the pan on and it's not leaking.Is this a problem in the future?
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    It could be a problem. As the transmission body and pan go through their heating/cooling cycles, I'm almost positive they will expand/contract at different rates as I'm sure the tranny body is aluminum while the pan is stamped steel, I could be wrong though. That means any burr on either surface COULD slowly cut the gasket to the point where it will start to leak. My advice at this point is to just keep an eye on it, it may not ever leak. But since you've already put in back on, no since in taking it off if it's not leaking now.
  • rwebster100rwebster100 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Clocke
    HAve you made any progress on your freeze plug problem? I also have a 1998 CHerokee 4L. Leak - replaced freeze plugs - a few days go by - and leaking again!
  • oldtimer1oldtimer1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply, Dancerman. I,also, feel the tires are not THAT much over sized, but they apparantly are, as I have tried every position for the brake lines possible, and the lines still rub, either way, at 3/4 full turn. I'll take your advice and check off road suppliers for special hoses.
  • chrispagchrispag Member Posts: 2
    what is the difference between the command-trac and selec-trac 4wd systems? does one work better than the other?
  • masonjeep08masonjeep08 Member Posts: 8
    We just purchased a used 1993 Cherokee with 162K miles. It had been sitting for about a year, but was run every day before that. The oil had recently been changed and they charged up the battery before we took the car. On the way home we noticed a loud ticking from the engine after it really heated up well. Originally I thought they might have left some oil out, but it checked full and clean. I was teaching my son to drive the stick when it started having trouble starting after he inevitably stalled it a couple of times. Need less to say it finally quit for good just down the street from our house.

So far I have charged the battery, then replaced it. I recrimped the battery cable and have checked the voltage at the battery, fuse box, and alternator. It all looks fine. The car does not want to turn over at all. The battery cable wire get really hot when we try.

What should we look at next. Any advise/diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

MasonJeep08
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Here's some info from

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/jeepspeedfaq/

"The transfer cases used are all chain driven with aluminum housings. NP stands for "New Process" which is the brand, if you will. The newer ones are NV instead which stands for "New Venture". It is the same transfer case just a different name.

NP207 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.61:1 ratio low range - used 84-87
    NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used 87-01
    NP228/NP229 - "Selec-Trac" - 4Hi(full-time) - N - 4Lo (part-time) - used 84-87
    NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-01"

If you want to use 4WD on dry hard surfaces, I think you want Select-Trac. You probably can find more info on the each at that site.
    When you hit the starter, does it make any noise at all??? Can you physically turn the motor over by hand?? What was the oil pressure running prior to this?

Just off the top, I'd look at either a jambed up/locked up starter motor or a locked up engine. You should be able to put a socket and rachet wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt and rotate the engine fairly easily. The harmonic balancer is the large belt pulley on the bottom of the engine.
  • truaxmjtruaxmj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4X4 and the AC stopped working. It blows luke warm air. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I am told the next logical step is to recharge it with a can of R-134a. Here's my problem. I don't know a whole lot about vehicles. I have the can to recharge with but I can't locate the exact spot where it goes. Can anyone tell me where the service port is and what it looks like? Thanks.
    Well the saga continues. After replacing the battery and rewiring the wires at the terminal we finally have the car running. Not running well, but running. The starter seems ok, the alternator is putting out juice. The car is not over heating. It just runs really bad. We have replaced the spark plugs, new cap, new rotor. It is running very bad when it heats up. The engine still makes a lot of clacking noise from the rockers. The oil light comes on intermittantly ... It's off during idle, then comes on when we shift into 1st gear. I have given up on the home mechanic portion and taken to an expert. I'm still interested in hearing ideas, so that the shop doesn't take all of my money.

MasonJeep08
  • bls1bls1 Member Posts: 4
    My 95 Cherokee smokes when it is first runnning then it stops.What is the cause of that?
    Chapter 4: We had the car towed to the mechanic. Yep - blown #2 cylinder. Needs a new engine. Next question is we are $2000 USD into this adventure. Do we put a new engine into it or get out now and sell it for parts? What do you think we could get for a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with a blown engine? What and where can I get the best price on a new/used engine?

MasonJeep08
    :sick:
    Probably worn valve stem guides/seals. It's not a terribly expensive job to have done. If the shop uses compressed air to hold each valve in place, then all they have to remove is the valve cover, rocker arms and valve springs.
    I don't know, what condition is the Jeep in? Is it worth it to you to spend another $2,000 on it??? Professionally rebuilt engines can be purchased in the $1,500 and under range.

If the rest of the Jeep were in really good shape, I'd say go for it. But then I'm a Jeep nut, and I'd rebuild and replace the engine myself. And I'd also know the condition of the tranny and t-case. There are too many variables for me to tell you what to do.

If the rest of the Jeep is in good shape, and depending on the mileage and what other goodies are on it, someone would give you $750 to $1,000 for parts or to build it up as a trail rig. If it's beat all to heck and has a ton of miles on it, then you might be stuck.

Good luck.
    Before you try this... you can visually check the charge by looking at through the sight glass (I believe it's below the compressor). With engine warm, turn A/C on, adjust to coldest setting and fan on highest speed. Keep doors open so A/C system doesn't cycle on/off. Let run a few minutes making sure the compressor stays engaged. Look in the sight glass. If refrigerant looks foamy or has bubbles, it is low. Also, at the compressor, the larger line should be cool and the smaller line should be warm. I'll go look at my '99 to find the charge port, may be same as '01. Keep in mind that if you need to add refrigerant, there is a leak that will need repair.
  • ryan99ryan99 Member Posts: 46
    hi all, I have a 99 Limited that i bought 4 years ago with 29k on it....this truck is great. just wanted to share something to save someone a couple bucks. I lost my high speed on my blower and went searching for the high speed relay....not under hood...so i gave up 4 awhile then found it after removing the glovebox...it was staring me in the face. when i went to pull it out the high speed kicked in! it was a loose connection that had been there the whole time i've had the car as i would loose the high speed from time to time. check this before you run out and buy the relay first....all the harsh bumps must have an effect after awhile...
  • bugs7bugs7 Member Posts: 6
    Would that also hold for the following? Drive car for awhile. Stop to get gas. Shut off engine. Attemt to restart and nothing happens. No cranking, no selenoid noise, nothing. Waint 10 to 15 minutes and then restarts. Help?
    What year is your Jeep?
    We are now down to either getting our money back from the woman we bought it
    from. (slim chance) or rebuilding the engine in my garage. Does anyone have
    a REALLY good book or manual for rebuilding the engine. It's an inline 6.
    It's been a long time 20+ years since I worked tore down an engine.

Thanks,
    Good news for you is Jeep I6 is one of the few engines left that are "old technology". If you have rebuilt engines in the past this should be a breeze. I have a Haynes repair manual that does a decent job covering the basic rebuild work. I'm sure there are others. Have you considered buying a remanufactured long or short block instead? It will save you a bunch of time and will have a warranty (autozone.com $1500).
    "dancerman" is right. If you've rebuilt engines 20 years ago, then the 4.0 I6 won't be a problem. Other than the computer and a few sensors, it is an old tech engine. That's why Jeep has quit producing it and why I LOVE it. I am rebuilding one now, well I'm doing a little bit at a time as I get the money. I've never done this before, but when I pulled it apart, I was amazed at how simple and straight forward this engine is! You can buy COMPLETE rebuild kits in the $500-$600 range. Those kits include everything except the head assembly, crank, block, water pump, distributor, exhaust manifold and intake assembly. Basically ALL the rotating parts.

I'd also recommend the Haynes or Chiltons manuals. That are available at any discount auto parts stores for around $20. A factory service manual is the way to go, but those are considerably more. Since you have experience, the cheaper manual may be all you need. Really all you'll need are the tolerances and torque specs anyway.
  • riverbugzriverbugz Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: This is in regards to my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4.0L . I have a reoccurring problem that has been unable to identify and correct. When driving the vehicle it will (normally in 1st or 2nd gear) sputter or almost choke out while pushing the accelerator. With this you can hear a popping sound in the header or in that general area. A reoccurring O2 alarm also occurs even though both sensors have been replaced. This has been cleared many times and always comes back on when the truck is in the idle position. When I pull to a light it will at times idle rough then surge. I have been led down many roads to fix this problem and none of them have helped. I have replaced the following parts Ignition coil, plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor, throttle body and all the adjoining sensors (TPS, Idle air, etc). The computer has been upgraded, the timing has been set, and we have checked the vacuum lines, all connection to the injectors. I have run injector cleaner in the gas a number of times. Could this alarm and the performance problem be directly related? Or is there any direction that I have not gone to fix this? I have heard of other people having this problem and the answer seems to be ditching the vehicle. I DO NOT WANT TO. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ?!?!??! :sick:
    Sounds like your are having a problem with ignition timing. Did you have the ignition module tested? It also could be a problem with the top dead center crank sensor or the camshaft position sensor. We once had a similar problem with a GM car that turned out to be the distributor electronics. The mechanic found it by removing the distributor and testing it under load in a special test machine.
  • lutherphotolutherphoto Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Cherokee sport. It recently started making noise at the rear of the engine. A wobble-ish squeaking noise. It makes the sound when in park or at low speeds but I dont notice it when driving. There is a little oil around the bell housing but not much.

Any thoughts?
  • roger44roger44 Member Posts: 4
    My battery drains while parked more than 4-5 days. I replaced battery... dead 4 days later. I removed negative battery cable, hook volt meter between post and cable..I get 5 volts reading. I removed the Engine Control 30 amp fuze from the fuse box under the hood and the voltage goes to zero. Any suggestions? Is short in the line or in the ECM itself? Any other test I should run?
    I don't think the oil leak is related. Most L-6 engines eventually leak from the rear crank seal. How loud is this noise? I think I would have a mechanic put it on a lift and try to pinpoint the source.
  • lutherphotolutherphoto Member Posts: 3
    Its not too load. Its not consistent ether. Sometimes I have to really try to hear it and others its obvious as soon as I start it.

I didn't think the oil was related ether but I thought I should mention it just in case.
  • roger44roger44 Member Posts: 4
    I had squeeking type nois coming from same general location on my 92 Cherokee. I could hear it better as my driveway passed the side of my house....noise was more pronounced. It sounded to be intune with the drive shaft. Put on lift with tranny in drive...noise was coming from boot that protected the drive shaft spline where it extended into the back of the transmission. Lifted up the boot with a small screwdiver, some wd-40 and squeek went away. Have had to repete a couple of times as boot dries out. Hope this is your problem...easy fix.
    I think we have decided just to replace the engine. That is going to be the lowest cost method. Now .... I just need to find an engine. We called around locally and can't find an 4.0L MT for a 1993 Cherokee under 100K miles. We are looking to spend around $600 delivered. Any ideas?

MasonJeep08
    Well, I'm gonna make your day. You don't have to purchase one out of a '93 Cherokee. You can use the 4.0 out of ANY Jeep model, whether it is a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee or Wrangler. The engines are all the same. You may have to swap out some parts from the original engine, such as the fuel rail, exhaust manifold, ignition, etc.... I'm working on a '96 Cherokee 4.0 to put into my '95 Wrangler. The 4.0 is a wonderfully interchangable engine. :D
    You may have a hard time finding one delivered for under $600, but here's just one possibility I found on ebay.

link title
  • mrfurdmrfurd Member Posts: 1
    I have a dream of towing a 18'airstream trailer (3000 lbs.) with my 98 cherokee sport. It has towing hitch, and with weight distributing hitch supposedly can pull 5000lbs.

Can anyone with experience using a cherokee to tow give me any advice? It towing something this size a pipe dream or a real possiblity?
    Well, it's not a pipe dream if the Cherokee it outfitted properly and your driving style matches the load. I use my Cherokee to tow my Wrangler to offroading locations. I tow it on a 16' flatbed trailer that has brakes.

Trailer brakes are probably the most important factor in this equation. 'Cause it don't matter how you get down the road if you can't stop when you get there, or when someone pulls out in front of you. Get a good brake controller. I suggest the Tekonsha Prodigy, but there have been some newer ones that may be even better. You don't want to skimp on the controller. Next, you already have the weight distributing hitch, so you should be good to go there. In addition to the hitch setup, you'll probably want to add sway control. A travel trailer can really push the tow vehicle around in high crosswinds or with passing trucks. My particular setup, the Wrangler on a flatbed, tows very straight with little or no sway. I can't say the same for my little 10' popup camper! What is your gear ratio? Mine is 3.55 and does ok, however I wish mine were 3.73 or even a 4.11. The frontal area of your trailer could cause it to wind load more at highway speeds, so a higher numbered ratio could be necessary. You won't know that until you tow it a few times. Next is the tranny. Change your tranny fluid often when you tow. Install as big of a tranny cooler as you can fit behind the grill. Mine is a B&M that literally covers half the radiator. Route the cooler lines so that the tranny fluid coming out of the tranny goes through the cooler first, then through the factory cooler in the radiator, then back to the tranny. Do it this way, or the fluid may get too cold in the winter. You don't have to install a tranny temp gauge, but I highly suggest it. A tranny temp gauge let you "see" just how hard you are working the tranny. Out on the highway with the tranny in "D", not "OD", my temps run very close whether towing or not. However, in town, or when climbing a steep grade, basically anytime the torque convertor unlocks, the temps will start climbing. Thats where you have to watch the temps. You'll cook a tranny quicker in those situations than any other.

Another factor is your location. If you're in the mountains or hills, then you may want to get another opinion. If you're a flatlander, such as myself, then the Cherokee should handle it just fine.
  • earthshaker1earthshaker1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all I hope things are going well for you, I have a ,95 Cherokee SE, with 225k miles on it, the other day I had my u-joints replaced, and the lube replaced in the the diff, yeaterday I heard a awful noise coming from the rearend, stopped and looked at saw nothing obvious, this morning I pulled the drums off the axle and looked at them (both) the inside of the left one had been rubbind on the backing plate and hence chewed the "rim " off the drum, I found some metal pieces in the drum removed them, and drove it home, on the way I heard the same type noise from the tight side, I haven't pulled the drum yet But I have a feeling it is the same problem. Is there any possible connection between the drum issue and the overfilling (IMO) the diff housing, allowing the axles to "float" in and out causing what I have described?
    No amount of overfilling would cause the axle shafts to "float". Those axle shafts not only carry the torsional load required to turn the tires, but also carry the full weight place on that axle.

What I'm concerned about, and you should be too, is what metal pieces came loose in the brakes. Those pieces could be vital to the operation of your rear brakes. Without seeing it for myself, I can't possibly tell you what it is. With that many miles on your XJ, you probably should replace everything inside the drum anyway. You can get a complete rebuild kit at AutoZone or Advance for around $50 for both sides. If the wheel cylinders have never been replaced, then this is a good time to do that as well.
    Just did the brakes all 4 completely on April 8th this year, I did the shoes and pads and the drums and rotors, so you can see my concern that the new brake drums are about a month and a half old are now junk, for all practical purposes, I am hoping that what ever is causing the axles to float is not related to the work done the other day.
    Your first post didn't mention recent brake job. My guess is either the drums were wrong ones or defective.
    Now the question is why did it wait nearly a month and a half later, after a lube change to show up? I will be getting with the mechanic that did the ujoint replacement/ diff lube change Tuesday, and see what is up. Thanks for your replies guys!
    The fact that a brake job was done recently changes everything. I'm with dancerman, the drum could be the wrong ones. Or, I'm thinking, whoever did the work didn't put the pieces back together correctly. Something's amiss to cause them to start eating themselves like that.

Get together with the guy that did the brake work.
    Well I found the problem, but can't fix it today, I will have a talk with the brake guy and chew his butt(me),the parking brake link (bar) fell out of position and lodged between the drum and backing plate why I don't know why 'cept that the little spring that holds it tight dissappeared, I am thinking dealer only item, unless one of you guys have a spare you can bring me lol, thanks for your help!
    Check with local parts store first. I'll bet Advance Auto can get these. Check their online store for correct part and then call your local store. NAPA is also good with brake parts. Good luck and glad you found the problem.
    DOH!!!!!(As Homer Simpson slaps his forehead)

I hate it when that happens. We've all been there in some form or fashion. I'm glad you found the problem and it was nothing major.
  • cwspeakscwspeaks Member Posts: 1
    All:

My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (2WD) has started idling VERY high on random starts. Anywhere between 2000 and 2500 RPM for about 10 seconds.

Goodyear and a Dodge/Chrysler dealership have hookup up the computers and can find nothing wrong. Chrysler tech conferred with a Jeep Service Dept manager (a 5-star dealership) and was told this is common in "older" Jeep models and is normal.

1. I just don't buy the fact that an 02 Jeep is old enough for the computer to start making the idle race like that.
    2. This could not be a NORMAL function of the car.

I believe the computer diags are saying there's no problem but obviously SOMETHING is off.

For his part the Jeep Service guy told our Dodge/Chrysler service tech that one could replace all kinds of Idle Airs etc and it would only make a marginal impact on the symptoms for the dollars lost.

Anyone have experience with this type of symptoms? Suggestions and input from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chuck
  • robertm7robertm7 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to locate the oxygen sensor for my 2001 Cherokee Sport 4x4. Can someone tell me how many there are and the location
    First thing I would check is a vacuum leak. My '95 Wrangler likes to pull the brake booster line off when I'm offroading. When that happens, it will idle around 2k rpms. In your case, it sounds like it could be an intermittant leak. Crank it up and wiggle the vacuum lines around and see what happens.

Second thing would be too make sure the throttle plate is returning to its fully closed position everytime. If you've got a lot of carbon buildup inside the throttle body, it's entirely possible the throttle plate isn't returning to it's idle position when you take your foot off the accelerator. Corrosion on the return spring or other parts of the throttle body/throttle cable could also be the culprit. Also, check to make sure the cruise control and transmission kick-down cables move freely. They could be binding up at random intervals.

Third thing is the Idle Air Control motor/valve. It's located on the side of the throttle body facing the engine block. If you're standing in front of the Jeep looking at the throttle body, the IAC valve will be at the 9:00 position, the Throttle Position Sensor will be at the 12:00 position and the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor will be at the 3:00 position. Take the IAC valve off and clean it with an approved cleaner.

Keep us posted.
    Well, you have four (4) of them. The catalytic convertors, yes there are two (2) of them, are positioned on the exhaust manifold. The first convertor serves cylinders #1-3 while the second serves cylinders #4-6. Each convertor has two O2 sensors, one before and one after.

You probably won't be able to see them from up top. So slide under the Jeep and look up at the drivers side of the engine. Look for two metal canisters about the size of a coffee can. The two lower O2 sensors are really easy to get at, the two upper ones could be a little more challenging.
  • phishlips1phishlips1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 98 Cherokee. I received the same SCAN tool code (P0135 - O2 Sensor malfunction). I was about to change both of them, and then I read your message. I was wondering if you had any luck fixing it since you posted your message. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • faithis4loversfaithis4lovers Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone. i'm new on here, and clueless when it comes to cars. I know... awful. anyway, i was wondering if someone could help me out here. the other night i turned on my lights and they flickered a bit but stayed on. as i was driving home they kept cutting out and i had to push in the headlight switch a little bit to keep them on. then about halfway down my street they went out. now they won't turn on at all. the fog lights work, but not the headlights. also my highbeams won't stay on. i basically have to drive holding the light switch. please help me out, i tend to work nights and i'm stuck on this one. i checked my fuses and all is fine with them. thanks!
  • dbraswelldbraswell Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 jeep grande cherokee. I appear to have a bad TPS. do you know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty?
  • maggielmaggiel Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone could help me solve this problem. I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. It runs beautifully and likes the cold weather. However, it seems to need some work now due to wear and tear. It started making a clanking noise whenever I made a sharp turn to the right about a year ago. After several repairs to fix this problem with three mechanics, including the replacement of ball bearings and u joints, the noise is still there, and suddenly now on the left side. In fact, the noise shifted once in a while, from left to right and vice versa. After the last repair, the noise continued on the right side for a few days, only to shift to the left. The repairs, according to the mechanic were only to the right side, but when I left the garage, the noise was still the same on the right, and now shifted to the left. I'm wondering if it's something else, but mechanics just keep repairing something they assume is making the noise.

The last repair (the replacement of u joints and right side ball bearings) cost me $1,100 cdn, and now I'm back to square one. I'm wondering if anyone here knows a good mechanic in Toronto (Ontario, Canada) who knows Jeeps inside and out. Also would I have recourse in court for a job done to repair something that didn't need repair, although the mechanic may claim the parts needed replacement. I would assume many parts of my old jeep will need to be replaced eventually, but if I do not request the change, then why would mechanics assume I would have to pay for their mistake?

Anyway, what other parts make a clanking noise when the wheels are turned?