Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in BMW

image2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

The front suspension of our 2014 328i xDrive Gran Turismo employs a subtle trick that is only visible if you pop the hood.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• s_hladneys_hladney Member Posts: 6
    Dan,

I enjoyed this write-up very much. However, I could hardly keep myself from laughing when I got to the term "performance nuts." It sounds like a term that the adult-film industry uses for their star male performers!
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    @s_hladney: You should take these performance nuts seriously. Many lives depend on theses performance nuts protecting the stud from loosing pretension (in threaded connections).
  • shindig4shindig4 Member Posts: 0
    This was a great post. I enjoyed learning about this facet of automotive engineering. Thanks!
  • craigistcraigist Member Posts: 29
    Nice post. Does this work because the same total 'relaxing' is spread out across more area with a longer bolt, thus losing less clamp force?
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    I love these engineering posts.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Dan, thank you so much! Very good info!
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Excellent write-up. Worth remembering this lesson the next time we go to the auto parts store looking for some nuts in a plastic box, versus the proper nuts found at the dealer. On safety-critical parts like suspension and brakes, it's not worth taking a risk.