Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW 530d First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in BMW

image2014 BMW 530d First Drive

BMW's 5 sedan gets a light makeover and a diesel option for 2014. Will it be enough to hold off its competitors for another few years?

Read the full story here

Comments

• canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    You folks ever plan on testing poor people's cars? I can buy 3 nicely equipped Camry's for one of these.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Good news we are getting the diesel. Otherwise.. must try.. to.. stay.. a..w..a..k..e.... THUD! Zzzzzzz.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @canddmeyer: I'm not sure exactly what you consider poor people's cars but here are some more affordable cars Edmunds tested in the past month... Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Mitsu Outlander, Nissan Murano, Fiat 500L, Sierra/Silverado, Toyota Corrola, Nissan Juke
  • joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    I love that they put the diesel in this and THAT diesel in particular. I've driven a 535xi fairly extensively and it's a total luxury car - it's no longer a sports sedan.

I'm very excited to drive the diesel engine at some point, but I'm just not as excited until it's in a more engaging driver such as the 3-series.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @joefrompa: Well remember the 335d? That's a sweet car, too bad people didn't buy it.
  • fortstringfortstring Member Posts: 111
    You know it's bad when you can't bloody tell the difference between the new 3 series' and the 5 series' rumps. Why is this cloning trend seeping out from Audi to the other luxury makes? :'(
  • wiizwiiz Member Posts: 1
    Have any of the drivers noticed this notorious pull to the right as pre LCI models had? A lot of 5-series' were lemoned all over the word. What are the real sale numbers after you subtract the returned to manufacturer ones. I myself went through an ordeal of returning the car through lemon law arbitration. Let me tell you: BMW of NA will not see my hard earned money in their sales numbers for quite a while.
  • davidnjdavidnj Member Posts: 1
    A few problems here. First, the 5.3sec 0-60 is for the European 535d. The US 535d is the European 530d, shown in the pictures. The time for it is 5.8sec.

Second, the car pictures is a Luxury model, a $2100 option with 19" wheels and Nappa leather upholstery. For some reason, the Nappa upholstery is only available in brown (shown) of ivory (impossible to keep clean).

The pictures shows BMW Adaptive LEDs, but doesn't talk about their main feature, the Adaptive High Beam. Or whether we get the Adaptive High Beam in the US. MB and Porsche have already brought it to the US, but will BMW?

Also Night Vision Assist with Dynamic Spot Light. Do we get it in the US? They could do a whole feature on that alone. For 2014 it recognizes people AND large animals. Afterall, most of us get night vision to find deer; not to hunt, just to avoid.

Finally, Traffic Assist isn't clear if its coming to the US, not available to November, and both Traffic Assist and Park Assist (and Integral Active Steering) are only available in RWD 5-series models. Apparently the xDrive models have hydraulic steering which is not compatible with those features.
  • bcambasbcambas Member Posts: 2
    "Each setting adjusts the steering feel, throttle sensitivity, transmission and, if they're fitted, the firmness of the electronic dampers. It works to good effect, though you quite often find yourself wanting a combination of softer suspension, say, and a sharper throttle. Configuring these settings individually, Audi-style, would be better."

It is possible to do this. One must export their driver profile to USB, then upload the profile to BMW's website. The driver profile can then be edited. One of the options allows only changes to the suspension settings when using the driving selector. Save the profile back to the USB drive, import the newly modified profile back into the car, select the desired setting (eg. comfort), then push the shift selector to the left to enable sport transmission settings. Now, you have sport transmission settings with "comfort" chassis settings.
  • bcambasbcambas Member Posts: 2
    "Each setting adjusts the steering feel, throttle sensitivity, transmission and, if they're fitted, the firmness of the electronic dampers. It works to good effect, though you quite often find yourself wanting a combination of softer suspension, say, and a sharper throttle. Configuring these settings individually, Audi-style, would be better."

The suspension settings can be separated from the throttle settings. Export the driver profile to USB stick. Upload file to BMW website. Configure settings to separate the two, and save the new driver profile back to the USB stick. Import the driver profile created on the website. Put the car into "comfort" mode and push shift selector to left. You now have sport shifting with "comfort" suspension.