Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

image2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

We got a low tire pressure monitoring reading in our long-term 2013 Cadillac ATS.

Read the full story here

Comments

• goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    "They read as you see in the photo: 31 psi front and 30 psi rear."

The photo clearly shows 30 / 31 psi in the front and 34 / 35 psi in the rear. What are you talking about? or do I need a California prescription for medical MJ?
  • lsiii_lsiii_ Member Posts: 7
    You are reading the display incorrectly. It says Front Driver is 30, Front Passenger is 31, Rear Driver is 35 and Rear Passenger 34
  • robert4380robert4380 Member Posts: 8
    Man, I wish I could be an Edmunds editor and get paid to spit out blog posts before doing so much as the tiniest bit of double checking. Dude, that icon of the car in the central display is sideways. The front of the car is on the right, and the rear of the car is on the left. All pressures are within a pound or two of where they should be, hence the TPMS light remaining OFF. Even if the icon of the car was oriented up and down instead of sideways, the number on top (30) would be the front, not the rear like you say. TPMS issue? More like operator issue. Come ON Edmunds, this is basic stuff.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    This is one of the funniest blog entries in a loooong time!

The editor wasn't actually serious was he?

He was? Oh dear.....
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    And on top of that, he is under the impression that one of the rear tires is six PSI underinflated...but he decides to drive it 100 miles like that anyway. I think Scott Oldham's reign as editor in chief at Edmunds is one of the clearest manifestations of the Peter Principle I've seen in a long time. I don't know how this dude gets out of his own way every day.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    This is just embarrassing on a bunch of levels. I remember when Edmunds used to be staffed by, you know, car people.
  • robert4380robert4380 Member Posts: 8
    I know. Edmunds has been trying to be the go-to automotive resource for soccer moms instead of actual enthusiasts. Please, go on telling us how someone's dress will fit in the back of a trunk, because that info is sooooooo useful.
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    Are we being punked?
    I don't think so. I would SO LOVE to be the service adviser at the Caddy dealership when he comes in and shows me what's "wrong" with the car.
  • reddevilc250reddevilc250 Member Posts: 5
    lol.. u r so reading it wrong... the 30psi and 31 psi represent the front left and front right... and 35 psi and 34 psi represent the rear left and rear right tires....
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    A professional drifter like Scott has confused the driver's side of the car as the front from all the right turn drifting he does on his way to work. That would explain the tire issue with the Tesla
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    Obviously trying too hard to find something wrong with a GM car that his subconscious secretly likes.
    The best part is about going home after five hours of work.
    Scott has proven that the ATS tire monitor system is NOT foolproof. Thanks Scot!
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Aside from misreading the display, there is still the issue of the alert coming on when all of the tires are within a few PSI of spec. I think that's a bit too sensitive.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Wait nevermind, now I misread it, he said the light DIDN'T come on. My bad.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Where to begin. Scott, if you were so tired the next morning that you still could not tell which way the car icon was facing, I'm VERY glad that I was not on the road in SoCal that day. Now we know that the tyres were not that far off, so that is why the car drove OK. We should also remember that most readily available tyre gauges have about a +/- 5% calibration error, so the comparison between your friend's gauge and the onboard system is reasonable and within the combined errors. You weren't just tired, you sound like somebody close to burnout.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I guess I can see how people can make this mistake. But the level of facepalm I'm going through right now is pretty epic.
    Take a look at his Twitter feed - says on October 21 that he loves driving the car, but "the gauges look cheap and uninteresting." Maybe they look better if you can figure out how to read them - ?
    By the way, it's still a few hours later and my palm is still on my face.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Well Scott the one good thing come out of this is I am fairly sure this post has the highest number of responses I have seen since the closing of IL.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    You're not reading it right. the car image shows the rears are the readings on the left, fronts on the right--the car has mirrors showing on the right. No tire is off by more than 2 lbs in the original photo.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    darn website, if the comments automatically appeared at the end of the blog like they used to on IL, I wouldn't have posted the same shlog everyone else already did. Too lazy to have to hit comments tab before commenting. why keep them secreted off to the side?
    Let's give Scott a break. I mean his job, as an automotive professional, is to spend his time in and around cars all the time. This is what he gets paid to do. This is his expertise.
    So it is understandable that with that constant barrage of 'cars!cars!cars!' every freakin day, one day he may look at a graphical representation of a car and not recognize what he is seeing.
    That bit I get
    ;)

What I don't get is... what on earth did he think that weird, never seen before shape, in the middle of the tyre pressure read out was?

Hmmm, I wonder if he is also in charge of the TMV pricing on this site..
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i kept re-reading that post to figure out what in the world i was missing!

i see everyone else has already raked him over the coals enough so i won't pile on. we all make mistakes.

somebody buy him a starbuck's gift card!
    No, you need to pile on. The Editor In Chief could not figure this out over a period of two days before giving up and saying he will take it to a dealership for them to look at it.
    Wow.
    This was just dumb, but everyone gets hit by an attack of the dumbs once in awhile. My real issue is that he thought his rear tires were 6 psi low and he decided to drive the car 100 miles that way. That's just stupid and poor judgement.
    @desmolicious: No, but he did design the "What's hot" page ;)