Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 BMW X3 Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in BMW

Comments

• Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    2000-2005 Ford Excursion with either the V10 or 7.3 diesel or a modified and corrected I.E Bulletproofed 6.0L diesel.

All the room you want for the family and dogs and you can still park it in a normal parking space.

A suburban 2500 would be a good option if the used market out in California is a bit on the thin side for Excursions and if you HAVE to have a "New" vehicle.
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Scott, it is obvious you have no idea what it takes to drive somewhere with an infant. Forget the dogs, unless you buy a large minivan or a Suburban.
  • Options
    dmosdmos Member Posts: 8
    Scott,

How often do you expect to run into that usage case? If it's the odd trip a few times a year where the dogs + future child are going out with "stuff", why not look into a roof rack/pod? Then the stuff could ride up top, with the mutts separated from the child. Then the rest of the year your wife gets something that will accept child + dogs and not be any larger than necessary. This is how we get away with having a coupe and a wagon, while our neighbours and friends all have minivans or gargantuan SUVs.

See Dan's example with the CRV.
  • Options
    goober88goober88 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a ML is more appropriate! I bought mine because it rides better than a X5, and after all the stress that I have given the seats--I can safely say that the leatherette can handle anything.
  • Options
    f0xfire021f0xfire021 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 328 wagon that's about the same overall size as the x3, just with less head room. We also have a kid and a large dog, and find that it works just fine for long trips by loading most of our gear into a roof box and letting the dog have the hatch. 99% of the time we have a great driving little wagon that is more than spacious enough, and the other 1% of the time when we're going on a trip and absolutely need the space we pack carefully and deal with it. Have yet to have a moment where it let us down due to space constraints.