Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

image2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

Somewhere between Los Angeles and Las Vegas I changed my mind about the Cadillac.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    So the fuel economy is important to you, but you would put regular gas in it, which especially in the Southwest temps, would pull timing and result in worse mpg. Check.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    I also consider the ATS the underdog, which is ironic since BMW is actually the underdog in terms of size compared to GM. Still, I like to pull for the apparent underdog, and this car is exciting.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @fordson1 +100 Putting lower grade gas in a turbo vehicle, especially one that will be exposed to SW heat, is a falso economy. It did not work for me in my last turbo vehicle and the laws of physics remain the same. This "premium recommended" ga
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Some people cannot handle paying an extra 20-cents for gas even if their engine recommends it, despite the fact its only a 5% increase at today's prices. Assuming no fuel economy advantage for premium in such an engine, it costs the average driver less than $75 per year.
  • Options
    bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    just weird how you mention socio economic and stigmas under the size category rather then the "looks category"

picking a size or category for what car to buy is the trickiest part mainly because at least half of the time there will only be one person in the vehicle its just how many people and how much crap you have to carry with you and how often is a good factor.

currently i drive a honda fit and have wife and 1 kid but i am joining the military and i know i will be moving every 2 or 3 years so i am going to need a larger vehicle because the more stuff i can carry with me the better the in-between moving experience can be. so i'm looking for at the minimum a full size car like a maxima but hopefully i can find at least a nice volvo or subaru wagon, or mini van or a decent sized SUV like a Tahoe. if i get a 2nd vehicle down the road i can get something with great economy like a hybrid but if i only have one vehicle because of moving i need as much utility as possible.
  • Options
    bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    you can't fault GM for making it so the engine can run its entire lifetime on regular fuel. the "premium fuel only" game is just asking for warrently headaches. how can the manufacturer prove you did not use premium. how can the consumer prove they only used premium? both sides lose and it just looks bad on GM
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @bassrockerx: If misfire/knocks are recorded in the engine ECU or they use a boroscope and can see that your pistons look like swiss cheese, it's a good indication that you've been using some really crappy fuel. This car might actually be a really good bu
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    We wonder why all these cool European market cars don't come to the US, then we insist on killing the performance and fuel economy just to save a few bucks in the short term. That's why we can't have nice things.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Everybody is saying it Phillip... You're changing the engine feel, power, and fuel efficiency for (as jederino pointed out) not much money. Not worth it in my opinion.