Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

image2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

The A/C in our long-term 2013 Cadillac ATS is getting a little stinky.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    nukedetroitnukedetroit Member Posts: 108
    No argument from me about how much anything from Gov't Motors reeks of dank and dismal failure... but in this case you probably only need to change out the cabin air filter.
  • Options
    kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    "Stinkiness can also be a sign of something more serious."

Certainly someone can come up with a funny response to this.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Have you tried closing the blast doors?
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    "Stinkiness can also be a sign of something more serious." "Okay, people. Listen up. The people upstairs handed us
    this one and we gotta come through. We gotta find a way to
    make this...[Holds up Ford cabin air filter] fit into the hole for this...[Holds up GM cabin air filter] using nothing but
    that.[Shows conference table covered in odds and ends gathered from around the office]" Points to whoever guesses the movie.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @hybris: "I am sick and tired of the entire western world knowing how my kidneys are functioning!" C'mon man, not even a challenge if it has Tom Hanks in it...
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    This is often the result of turning the car off while the A/C is running in recirc. When I pull into my street I actually kill the A/C and make sure the recirc is off so some fresh air gets flushed through the system before the car is shutdown.
  • Options
    cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    We haven't solved this yet? I haven't noticed any weirdness with my MZ6 yet but it's still fairly new. I run recirc most of the time but occasionally I'll turn it off.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Typically recommended to run the system at lowest circulation settings with fresh air all the time, especially after running recirc with AC.
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    @quadricycle I did the best I could off the top of my head that didn't sound completely unintelligible.
  • Options
    dino128dino128 Member Posts: 1
    To eliminate a/c odor, GM has a service bulletin.

1) clean a/c evaporator and treat a/c evaporator with an anti-fungal coating. This kills the fungus that is growing on the a/c evaporator fins.

2) program HVAC system to cycle the fan at full speed after car is turned off or install GM's EED (electronic evaporator dryer) module to the HVAC fan circuit. This uses to HVAC fan to dry the a/c evaporator fins after the car is turned off to create a dry condition that is less hospitable for fungus to grow.
  • Options
    jlh3jlh3 Member Posts: 14
    I think you can also spray Lysol in the intake of the system to kill the fungus.
  • Options
    johntoddjohntodd Member Posts: 1
    The 2014 ATS smell is extreme, the June 15, 2015 Service Bulletin was not successful. Cadillac should change suppliers immediately.
    Car was back to the dealer on 4 different occasions, they gave me a 2015 loaner which had the same odor.