Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Cadillac
The 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport has steering-wheel paddle shifters for its standard six-speed automatic transmission. You will not need them. Ever.

Read the full story here

Comments

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Cadillac sure seems to have a thing for BMW these days. The ATS is entirely targeted at the 3-series, and now they're pushing turbo sixes? Either way, I like it. I don't think that they need to be as driver focused as BMW, but bigger, comfortable cars with newer (heck, just not outdated) engines that produce good power just seem to fit the brand really well.
  • fortstringfortstring Member Posts: 111
    Vsport sure sounds vrroomy
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    When the old guys trade in their DTS they are going to be in for quite a shock! I did not see this coming.
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    Nice power. The car was already terrific. But I hate the grille. It's too many ideas in one. Doesn't seem to fit the opening. I'd have to run right out and get an aftermarket mesh grille. Oh, wait...at $70,000 I'd probably get cold feet anyway.
  • frank908frank908 Member Posts: 48
    I appreciate what this car represents, but I am one of those people that at this price-point, I am not necessarily buying cylinders, but most definitely the proper drivetrain architecture to go along with power increase.
    The XTS-V and this engine against a German rival? No
    The 14' CTS-V and this engine against a German rival? I think yes.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    "After all, the twin-turbo hardware brings three-digit gains in both horsepower and torque: 106 added hp and 105 extra lb-ft of torque.".....First, I was assured this site required no math....Second, I don't have the Cadillac's stock power numbers memorized, so knowing the marginal improvement doesn't tell me WHAT THE VSPORT'S POWER NUMBER ARE....and since the article doesn't give the actual ratings, after reading it I still don't know.
    Sounds like it soundly thrashes the Taurus SHO
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    @bankerdannyu before the line in the blog about the power increase it says:
    And this isn't just any V6; it's a 3.6-liter powerhouse that develops 410 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque.

Those numbers are better than the SHO.
  • engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    bankerdanny - The engine output numbers are given in paragraph 5: "And this isn't just any V6; it's a 3.6-liter powerhouse that develops 410 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque. General Motors engineers borrowed heavily from the tricks they learned from cars like the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 in the Camaro ZL1 and Cadillac CTS-V." I missed these numbers myself the first time I read the article. This is a very nice car, but the long rumored rear-wheel-drive flagship can't get here soon enough. Only then will Cadillac have a large sedan that can compete favorably with the best from Europe and Japan (and Korea) without making any excuses. I like the sport grill and wheels. I think they complement the car and make it more tasteful. The additional performance is also impressive. I still don't think this car looks like a Cadillac though. If you remove the signature grill, headlights and tail lights, it does not quite look like it is in the same family with the ATS and CTS. The proportions are vastly different (I will refrain from saying that they are wrong). It is a very nice car, but we are waiting from the true flagship.....
  • tim_bootim_boo Member Posts: 14
    If they were shooting for a BMW killer they missed! A nice car with more power, but still a front wheel car with some power going to the rear wheels. I think this car compares more to an A6 or S6. Interesting their real competior is the SHO and MKS twins which are not much competion. This car should sell well enough but is certainly a place holder till a real rear drive big caddy hits the streets.
    @noburgers and engineer: yes, I see that now. I read it twice before commenting and somehow still missed it.
    Speaking of Cadillac, I saw a black XLR last night (the retractable hard top was closed). All I could say is WOW! It could have been the Batmobile.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    That is Fugly!
    And also quite immature.
  • geipelizzygeipelizzy Member Posts: 4
    my neighbor's mom makes $80 every hour on the internet. She has been fired from work for six months but last month her income was $13650 just working on the internet for a few hours. more tips here www.Max52.com
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    I think Edmunds should just bill people the going advertising rate when they post these ads in the comments.
  • welshy3575welshy3575 Member Posts: 1
    $70K for this car not a chance, when you can get the Chrysler 300C SRT8 with 470 HP and the handling to back it up, plus the Chrysler is gorgeous, this car is awkward looking. If you're smart you can get a 300 SRT8 for the low $50K range and use that extra $20K for whatever else you want. The Normal Chrysler 300C with the 5.7 Hemi is darn close to these numbers and that goes for the low to mid $40K range plus sounds much better.
  • jdominatorjdominator Member Posts: 1
    I hate to say it but how can anyone think that a GM product is worth anywhere near $70,000. Just like dodge and it's Viper. What, they think they can compete with Ferrari now. How nuts!
  • rob204rob204 Member Posts: 5
    Cadillac has been using BMW as a benchmark since the beginning of the CTS-V or earlier. Nothing new there.

CTS-V, yes please. XTS--- pass, completely. There's better for less from Europe, Japan and... America! Plus, the CTS-V just KILLS this for literally about the same cost and is way bigger.

Besides, all this TALK about "we're sure" means nothing. Test it, then talk it over, not the other way around... Until then, it's an also-ran and nothing more.
  • rob204rob204 Member Posts: 5
    Also, @ bankerdanny. MT did test them and... the 2013 SHO weighs a bit more, is quite a bit larger, performed handling tests better(quicker figure 8, more Gs on skid pad) minus stopping(tested from 70mph vs 60mph), has a 365hp rating vs 410 and somehow ran 0-60 quicker, ran the 1/4 mile 1/10th slower, has a better economy rating, costs $20,000 less... Even the MKS costs less and offers more technology with essentially SHO performance.

It looks like the ATS needs a CTS-V for testing purposes.
  • normsky_normsky_ Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a used XTS Vsport Platinum forba really good price. New Premium VSport could bebhad for $10,000 discount or around low $50's. 

On a recent road trip on hilly PA Turnpike for 360 miles, I was an indicated 32.2 mpg...round trip. That is with adaptive cruise set at 65 mph and tire pressures at 40 psi. I was impressed with 4,200 lbs being propelled by AWD seeing that kind of fuel economy. 

The VSport is a looker turning heads at every corner!

I'm currently working on an ecu tune that will fill in the dips that Motor Trend found on their dyno session with lower 91 octane. The VSport has really woken up and is approaching 550 lb-ft as it is tuned.
  • normsky_normsky_ Member Posts: 9
    Edmund's neebankerdanny said:
    "After all, the twin-turbo hardware brings three-digit gains in both horsepower and torque: 106 added hp and 105 extra lb-ft of torque.".....First, I was assured this site required no math....Second, I don't have the Cadillac's stock power numbers memorized, so knowing the marginal improvement doesn't tell me WHAT THE VSPORT'S POWER NUMBER ARE....and since the article doesn't give the actual ratings, after reading it I still don't know.bankerdanny said:
    "After all, the twin-turbo hardware brings three-digit gains in both horsepower and torque: 106 added hp and 105 extra lb-ft of torque.".....First, I was assured this site required no math....Second, I don't have the Cadillac's stock power numbers memorized, so knowing the marginal improvement doesn't tell me WHAT THE VSPORT'S POWER NUMBER ARE....and since the article doesn't give the actual ratings, after reading it I still don't know.
    Edmund's needs to do a full review with road test data. Preferable with 92/93 octane as Motor Trend has found the computer controls the knock sensor with tight reigns.