Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

image2013 Cadillac ATS Long-Term Road Test

The 2013 Cadillac ATS should have been a Pontiac.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    The author may have a point that to some Cadillac is about quiet and luxury (the XTS is there for that buyer) but Cadillac is going after the BMW driver. It is a trend, whether or not a good one, across the luxury brands. Witness the new Lexus IS and GS (along with the F sub brand), Infiniti and Audi.
    Cadillac was criticized when they offered luxury, quiet barges for having bad handling. Now they win handling tests and people criticize that.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Body cladding...took the words right out of my mouth. Legend has it that Bob Lutz once said that in order for Pontiac to survive, they had to broaden their customer base beyond people with barbed-wire tattoos around their upper arms. Didn't happen.
  • Options
    caramelo91caramelo91 Member Posts: 13
    @guy1974 The difference is that the ATS doesn't balance great handling and luxury as well as other competitors. The Lexus IS and GS now offer great handling and driving dynamics as well as still being quiet and comfortable. Luxury cars these days cannot a
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Killing off Pontiac ranks as one of the stupidest things GM ever did, right up there with the Cimmaron and the original V4/6/8 and diesel engines.
  • Options
    subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    LOL @ "add body cladding"! Nice entry, Kurt!
  • Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    "leather seats do not a luxury car make"

Especially when they're vinyl, which is what comes standard on the 2.5 and 2.0T. But that's true of Mercedes and BMW as well.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @bankerdanny: I think you mean I4, and not V4. As for the Cimarron, its not so much the car that was bad (even though it wasn't good at all, and a terrible value) but that it perfectly represents the worst of 1980's GM attitude, for which it was crucified
  • Options
    ttopjohnttopjohn Member Posts: 25
    Like it or not, the ATS is a modern luxury sedan. It's pretty well accepted that, particulary in this segment of hte luxury market, luxury sedan = BMW 3 series. What's left do decide is, which vintange 3 series do we build? If you want a softer bigger one, buy the one BMW is selling. If you want an E46 with new car financing/warranty and sweet Caddy styling, buy the ATS. But maybe the author will get what he wants - the ATS will not be a Pontiac, but it be a Buick in a year or so. And a Camaro as well.
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Does Edmunds' ATS have FE3 suspension? Maybe he would like an FE2 car better.
  • Options
    expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    I get it, though Pontiac had become a self-charicature for its last 10-15 years. I'm one of maybe 5 people walking the earth who really misses Oldsmobile.
  • Options
    salf1salf1 Member Posts: 1
    Well, clearly the "Photo editor" missed the point of the ATS. I have driven/owned most of the cars in this class (owned a 3 series, a G37 and an IS) and the ATS by FAR strikes the best balance between performance and luxury. If I want to "float" down the road I'll buy a CTS/XTS or a 5 series, A6, etc.