Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW M3 and 2014 M4 Coupe Specs Revealed

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in BMW

image2014 BMW M3 and 2014 M4 Coupe Specs Revealed

Expect track-pack handling and blistering point-to-point speed from the back-to-the-future, six-cylinder 2014 M3, according to BMW.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I really hope M delivers on this one. I would love to add another M3 to my garage (well actually an M4). Personally, I am very pleased with the return to an inline-6. I actually wasn't a big fan of the old V8 after living with it. It sounded phenomenal and felt great when you really opened it up, but it had serious driveability issues for daily driving. It produced so little power down low I actually stalled it a few times. I hadn't stalled a car in years. I will be counting down the days until NAIAS.
  • marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    "While Audi Quattro and Mercedes-Benz's AMG divisions continue to pursue all-wheel drive, Biermann said the junior Ms will remain rear-drive, even into the next full generation."

So this implies that "non-junior Ms" aka M5 will get AWD in the future? Has BMW seen the light like MB has regarding putting down power to all four wheels? Say it isn't so!
  • lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    Looks to be a great car, just as the previous gen, and I can't wait to see the upcoming TT V6 420 HP, 450 FT LBS ATS-V go up against it.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Weight down to 3300 lbs? Let me think about that while I feed my pigs and get them ready for take off.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @agentorange: That's really not that bad... I mean, could it be better? Sure, but its down approximately 400 lb. from the last generation. That's actually great if you look at it that way! Also, manufacturers seem to be thinking about weight a lot more t
  • _driver72__driver72_ Member Posts: 13
    So as all of us BMW fans suspected, BMW got rid of the N54 engine and replaced it with the less tuner friendly, and less ability to make power N55 engine, in order to develop the new M3/M4 engine around the N54.
    Though I don't doubt the new M3/M4's engine is highly modified version of the N54, it should be considering the N54 came out in 2006. But it's ability to make more power than the new M3/M4 will come with is well known, but clearly BMW had to think utmost reliability, so forged internals is probably a given.
    Personally, I was hoping for a 3.2 liter I6 with twin turbos making closer to 450 hp. It's displacement would of been a nice homage to the E46 M3 and it's 3.2 liter I6
  • 06sti06sti Member Posts: 17
    Wonder why BMW chose not to use twin scroll turbos and stick with the old school single scroll turbo blades...
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @quadricycle I would be thrilled if they got the weight down to 3300 lbs. My point is I doubt they will get below 3500 lbs.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Seems promising. Looking forward to seeing it without camouflage and reading about the driving experience. Just gotta wait 7 more years for Edmunds to compare it to the all-new 2020 C8 Corvette. ;)
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @agentorange: Oh. Well I think they probably will. Though your average M3 (automatic, some options, and fluids) will probably be between 3400 and 3500 lb. when all is said and done, not 3300.
  • speed12silspeed12sil Member Posts: 23
    @quadricycle

It's 3300 with manual, 90% full fuel tank, no driver. It definitely will NOT weigh as much as 3400 lbs set up that way.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    RWD, light weight, two correct transmission options, and and Inline 6. BMW may have strayed from its core identity with the new name for the coupe, forced-induction on an M model, and artificial steering, but it retained some things that once made BMWs driver's cars.
  • softrose4you_softrose4you_ Member Posts: 14
    It will be interesting to see what the new Lexus IS-F horsepower will be and see if they can compete with the other car makers.
  • talonboosttalonboost Member Posts: 1
    I like it all. RWD = fun to drive and good corner exits, and lighter weight. Six cylinder inline - sweet. Single scroll turbos, well, probably saves 2 or 3 pounds in the front of the car. Lighter weight, excellent, getting too heavy is one place where the Evo X went wrong.
    The turbo idea in general is fine, I mean usually cars that are turbo from the factory have way more potential for increased horsepower over stock than normally aspirated cars do. So for example, a 2 liter 4 cylinder 4g63 can make 400 hp at the crank without even cracking a sweat, on stock internals, with stock rev limit, with only minor mods. This bimmer engine is 50% more engine than the 4g63. Should be an easy 600 hp there. Remains to be seen how much it would cost you to do that, but it should be easy!