Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe Starts at $41,425

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in BMW

image2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe Starts at $41,425

The 2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe, which targets the 2014 Cadillac CTS coupe and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class coupe, starts at $41,425, including a $925 destination charge.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe Starts at $41,425" I nominate this for Edmunds' top joke of the month.
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    Wow, how disappointing. All the spy shots, the concept and the disguised test cars looked promising. Just like they did with the X5 they managed to make the coupe less attractive. The front-end is not aggressive, nor is it elegant. And rear quarter is homely as any Toyota. What a let down.
  • seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    Competing with the Cadillac CST coupe and Mercedes-Benz E-Class coupe? How about the forthcoming ATS coupe, the C-Class coupe, and the Audi A5, I think those are more directly comparable to the 4 series. Possibly even the Infiniti G coupe, but A5 and C-Class certainly, CTS and E-Class are both larger and aimed somewhat at a different customer than the old 3-series coupes tended to attract
  • majin_ssj_ericmajin_ssj_eric Member Posts: 49
    Love the car but the new naming scheme is stupid. Not sure 435i will ever grow on me...
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I'm still disappointed with the growth spurt BMW is putting the 3/4 series through. Two generations ago this was the size of the 5 and 6. Making the cars bigger satisfies the people who complained about tight back seats (Hello? Don't buy a compact!) but adding size and weight moves the cars away from the 3 series' original character as highly tossable small cars.
  • fortstringfortstring Member Posts: 111
    The front end is better executed than the sedan (er, 3 series..), and the price is right if you consider that the direct competitor is most likely the Audi A5 (even the same different naming scheme); so, the cost is comparable, taking that into account. Compared to the Swedes' and Japanese (sedan) stablemates, of course it's a little overpriced, but the 4 series will probably do well among the Audi A5 buying crowd, that are into that kind of image anyway. Not personally my cup of tea, but there probably exists a market for it.
  • brickyardsbrickyards Member Posts: 0
    I'm disappointed in the 4 series. I think it's going to be all about the 2 series.
  • upshift11upshift11 Member Posts: 10
    Back end looks like the 5 which looks like the back end of the 7; handsome, neat, and well integrated. As for the front, the bottom lip looks like that guy on the rocket sled receiving wind blast! It just doesn't look good at all -very disappointing! The interior looks well executed though. So, it may come down to the sweet inline 6 for some buyers vs. the sleek and sexy exterior of the Audi A5. And yet, the next iteration of the C-class could very well steal the show for those who don't need a stick. It could be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • cuselancer17cuselancer17 Member Posts: 53
    "At the same time, as a true BMW coupe, the new nomenclature brings the new BMW 4 Series Coupe in line with the larger 6 Series and 8 Series Coupes."

Was it just me, or did anyone else find the most interesting part of this story an 8 Series coupe?! Did i miss a story about a coupe 7 seires? an 8M Gran Coupe would really be something...
  • pommahpommah Member Posts: 71
    Over 40 bills for a car that looks like a Hyundai, only less reliable.

I'm sure it drives nice though.
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    I agree with dfelix in that it is a shame that the car is not nearly as aggressive as the early pics teased. That said, it is as expected from an evolutionary standpoint. The one thing that I really don't like is that scoop trim on the front fenders. Looks tacked on...like something from Pep Boys. :(
  • joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    Regarding this car's size and handling, let me disclose I DD an e39 m5.

I had read all the reviews on the f30 in terms of steering letdown, body roll, etc. etc.

I recently drove an f30 328xi automatic for 175 miles over 24 hours. Let me say that if you haven't driven the f30, you are missing out on something special.

The 328xi is perhaps the least sporty model. It doesn't have a sport suspension. It has the most parasitic drivetrain loss. It has the worst power to weight ratio.

And I'll be darned but it blew me away. First off, the f30 chassis is one of the stiffest sedan chassis you'll ever drive. It embodies the "bank vault" german's have been famous for....and becuase of this, they tuned the struts and springs a bit more softly. You get a bit more movement than previous generations but a whole lot of composure. No jarring, exceptional ride quality while still being very connected.

Second, that despite not having the sport suspension comments about this car's steering being "lesser" are bunk. The steering is great for daily driving and even 7-8/10ths driving. Maybe at 9-10/10ths does this car's steering fall short of the BMW 3-series standard. Maybe.

The 2.0 turbo engine is a gem for a daily driver. Economical, powerful everywhere by DD standards, and makes ok noises. It's a 4-cyl. It's 240 hp. It's not a rocket ship nor does it sound like a v8. The auto trans is also better suited for the 2.0 turbo - the more gears, and shorter gearing, helps keep the engine in a great place all the time. And it's a super responsive engine.

The only thing a little dissapointing is that some parts of the interior of the f30 are cheap. Door pockets are too flimsy. The dash is "OK". It's padded and soft touch but the color of it is not that appealing.

After reading all the reviews of this 3-series and then actually driving one for 175 miles through all situations, I can't help but feel it's been put down far more than it deserves. Spectacular car. Can't wait to drive the coupe, but the sedan would be my choice.
  • justaske96justaske96 Member Posts: 4
    ...all that hype and it looks like part of the front bumper fell off. yyyyyyyawn. "another one bites the dust" comes to mind. and the exhaust pipes on the rear bumper(with or without m-sport) just look puny. ok, im done.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    4-series targets C-class coupe, not E-class.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Usually my slight-OCD-ness would love the consistent naming strategy, but 428 and 435 just look weird. The 3 series has among the best brand equity in the automotive world. I just don't think its worth throwing it away.
  • melohormelohor Member Posts: 4
    yes, disappointed. it's still a 3 series coupe, no match comparing to Audi A5,S5 and MB E coupe. to me, it looks cheap without those chrome. i'm sorry, if they want to set it apart from the 3 series, change the front and rear to be different like Audi did with the A4 and A5.