Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013-'14 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Part of Global Recall of 1.6 Million VW Vehicles

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

image2013-'14 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Part of Global Recall of 1.6 Million VW Vehicles

Volkswagen of America is recalling the 2013-'14 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid and the 2009-'11 Volkswagen Tiguan as part of a larger global recall of 1.6 million Volkswagen vehicles.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    "The car works, but you lose drive. You'll basically coast to a stop." I just love the spin by spokespeople. My definition of a car that actually works is a car that is actually driveable.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    "The car works, but you lose drive."
    Then the car DOES NOT work. Drive is kind of important to drive the car.

Changing the fluid sounds like a quick fix that in the long run will not work but good enough to get past the warranty. And I thought synthetics were more capable of handling high heat than mineral based oils.
  • juan_mxjuan_mx Member Posts: 2
    It is not heat, it is the sulphur.

I found this statement from VW in Australia regarding the DQ200 seven speed DSG:

"Conductive deposits, caused by sulphur in the gear oil and an inorganic thermal stabiliser in one of the plastic components, can cause a short circuit in the mechatronic unit of the gearbox. This can cause the clutches to open and the gear disengages. The effect is a loss of forward propulsion. Steering and braking systems, and all other vehicles systems remain fully functional."

It seems they picked the wrong combination of oil and plastic.
  • jxr944jxr944 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased 2013 Jetta Hybrid with DSG gearbox and am experiencing stalling condition when entering lanes of traffic and needless to say it is a very dangerous and scary experience. To date I have driven approximately 1300 kms and mostly city driving. Vw is recalling vehicles to correct the problem by changing the gearbox oil. I have not received any recall notice from VW in relation to this condition nor is my local VW dealer aware of such a recall. My concern is, how does changing the oil fix the corroded internal electrical components of the gearbox?
  • vhha64vhha64 Member Posts: 1
    Just experience the same problem with my Jetta 2012, less than 9K miles, clutch broke and VWoA said must likely is wear and tear and is won't be covered under warranty, to check on that I have to authorize put the transmission down to check, a week pass and the outcome was that was not a manufacture problem and won't be covered, I was NOT happy, but agreed to pay 2K for the fix. Unfortunately doesn't end here, the Lindsay Dulles just call me to tell me that after testing they believe there is an issue on the transmission sync and to confirm will have to agree to take out the transmission to find out the problem, which si going to cost me another +$2K, so not sure what I am going to do, but for sure never going to buy a VW.