Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet SS Brings Rear-Wheel-Drive V8 Splendor to Daytona

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet SS Brings Rear-Wheel-Drive V8 Splendor to Daytona

After a 17-year absence, Chevrolet brings back rear-wheel-drive V8 sedan power to the masses — not just the police — with the debut of the 2014 Chevrolet SS.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• beecee1beecee1 Member Posts: 8
    This Could Have Been The PERFECT Reinvention Of The 2011 Impala SS, But NOO! smh There Hasn't Been A Real Impala Since 1996, And Then GM Had The Audacity To Take The Impala Name, A Name With Such Historical Automotive Significance, And Slap It On An UGLY Front-Wheel-Drive Bucket In 2000! I Do Like This Car, But The Dodge Charger Still Looks Better! smh@GM.com
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Looks like a winner for GM & Chevrolet. Certainly a nice competitor to the Dodge Charger. I'm looking forward to the write ups & road tests to come.

Don't forget about us car guys living in the north east. Give us optional AWD with the V8 & Sport Suspension please!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ddorseyddorsey Member Posts: 0
    NO MANUAL. G8 looked better. no sale.
  • frank908frank908 Member Posts: 48
    Four photos Edmunds? Autoblog has 20 I think....
  • rallye350rallye350 Member Posts: 13
    Sure would love to see an AWD variant with a manual transmission show up in a couple years when my current lease expires!!!
    ddorsey - the "NO MANUAL" thing used to bug me, but not anymore. I know there is no truer connection with a car than a slick shifting manual transmission (like in my 2001 Prelude Type SH). The harsh reality is that the take rate on manual transmissions is so low, that it is difficult for manufacturers to justify the extra cost of development/crash testing.

My Prelude was my daily driver for 9 years. I love it. I love driving stick. But I'm really glad that I can drive my manual transmission car when I want to and not because I have to.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• vrooomf1vrooomf1 Member Posts: 28
    Lame version of the Holden! Why can't they get it right?
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    What's not to like? Well, it's still a Chevy.
  • fandswfandsw Member Posts: 37
    Very interesting....The question is if it is in reality a rebadged G8 with newer engine or is it an improved next generation structure with new engine. Looking at the pics my guess it's the former.....
  • markrt06markrt06 Member Posts: 4
    The first 5000 of these will move off the lots very quickly, no doubt.
  • slickersdripslickersdrip Member Posts: 4
    Well there goes any hope I had to pick up a G8 GXP with a six speed for any semblance of a reasonable price in the next few years. I foresee a J curve in resale for those now.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I surely won't be able to afford one. But I'm glad GM is making the effort. I still think it should be a Chevelle SS though.
  • john1168john1168 Member Posts: 10
    What's not to like you ask? I'll tell you. 2 things. 1st, NO LT 1. Second, the front end. Particularly the big lower front grill and the area around the foglamps. Everything else looks fine.
  • stillwalkingstillwalking Member Posts: 4
    I really like this car and hope it sells well for GM; enough to produce more variants like a limited few with manuals, maybe some AWD versions. If you ask me what's not to like - the name. I really would like THIS to be the Impala and for scrap that other car (maybe they will scrap that other car since they will have this and the Malibu). GM's 3.5 (or 3.6...whichever it is) V6 is a great engine choice for this for the low end. So that's what I want Chevy to do: Make this the Impala with RWD and AWD V6 options, RWD and AWD V8 options, and a RWD V8 with an optional manual
  • markstipmarkstip Member Posts: 4
    I like it, but the SS name alone for a sedan, not really! This should be the Impala SS. The 2014 FWD Impala should be the Caprice.
  • jscionjscion Member Posts: 0
    There is no doubt that this is a nice looking vehicle, but the exterior styling is more on par with mid-sized family sedans than something on a performance sedan. I could mistake this for a restyled Malibu easily.
  • samster231samster231 Member Posts: 26
    " the "NO MANUAL" thing used to bug me, but not anymore. I know there is no truer connection with a car than a slick shifting manual transmission (like in my 2001 Prelude Type SH). The harsh reality is that the take rate on manual transmissions is so low, that it is difficult for manufacturers to justify the extra cost"

Normally I would except this argument, but given the fact that the manual Camaro exists, could this powertrain have been put into the SS without too much extra time/cost?

Maybe later.
  • _driver72__driver72_ Member Posts: 13
    So why is it the same 415 hp rating and engine that was used in the Pontiac GXP from several years ago?
    Come on GM, either use the 426 hp version from the Camaro SS or really get people's attention by dropping in a slightly detuned version, say 440 hp, of the new LT1 (on a side note I think it's silly of GM to name the new engine LT1....again, after doing so twice before).

I would also lose the lower front fairing with LED lights if you plan to sell a police version of it, as those will get ripped off the first time a cop has to jump a curb in pursuit.
  • 6speedcarrera6speedcarrera Member Posts: 0
    The real question is: Will GM committ long term to this car? Will GM develop a bit of corporate patience and give these cars a chance to be developed and improved? Witness the "GTO" and the G8, or if you want to go way back, just when they started getting the Fiero right, they killed it.
  • trav187trav187 Member Posts: 4
    I agree with everyone else saying that the entire Chevrolet design team should be fired, terminated, axed, etc.. They literally have no imagination or motivation to create anything cutting edge or risky (thats where they fail, because they have tried risky, but failed miserably in doing so).. This looks like a freak'n Malibu.. The only decent looking car they have at the moment is the Camaro, and thats a stretch. If I was a Corvette fan, I'd be disgusted as well. They need to ditch the giant GOLD Chevy logo and modernize it.. Chrysler and Ford are light years ahead of them, this coming from a former Chevy fan..
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    So, do I have to post a NEW comment every time I want to read the comments on an article?
  • neusp33d2neusp33d2 Member Posts: 1
    The upper grille looks a bit weak
  • joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    Well it's just another Aussie import for GM like the GTO and G8.
    I truly hope it's a flop, if they are going to sell a Chevy SS it should be US made not imported.
  • louverinelouverine Member Posts: 1
    The problem with this car, is that the body design is about ten years too old. The body says government issue, which this car is since it is just a police issue Chevy Impala, with a different body. Chrysler has been doing this car for about 10years its called the 300. The 300 despite all of its other issues is a good looking car. Chevy needed to knock it out of the park with a grand slam but it only got a double. Chevy go back and redo the body please, you need a car that grabs the public's attention, not the attention of undercover cops and the Highway Patrol.

Also with gas approached $4.50 a gallon in southern California I would want a car with superhandling and a bullet proof v6. Just ask toyota why it keeps getting the hits. Chevy please here this not every buyer for your cars has a mullet or a badge and listens to Sweet Home Alabama.
  • trav187trav187 Member Posts: 4
    Off topic, but seriously, I can't even begin to explain how badly I miss the former INSIDELINE website. "Whats Hot" just isn't cutting it for me. It seems so incredibly luke-warm and content-starved.. Life goes on I guess.
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    So this was the next Pontiac G8. Lol!
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I could day a lot of different things about this, but it'll boil down to just this: Another RWD V8 sedan available in our market, that's a good thing!
  • blueprint1blueprint1 Member Posts: 22
    Car mags will love it, fanboys will cheer it and the market will ignore it. If it's a niche car intended for niche volume, then so be it, but just like the G8, this car doesn't convey the "right" image for GM right now. What they need is a Camry-fighting Malibu, not a 400+hp gas guzzler.

PS website is still awfull.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Cant wait for the SS Charger SRT8 comparison test.
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    I really want to see this car fail, because I want to prove a point to the "V8 RWD everything" car enthusiast, and because I'm a greenie. Yet, I really want to see it suceed because It's so awesome!!!
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    By the way, how do these LED strip DRLs function as real foglamps. Through my experience, LEDs tend to be darker than conventional lights, so I don't really know how good they'll be as fogs. Any Benz owners out there?
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @jpnpower: Simply put, they are only DRLs. They are for others to see you, not you to see with. They also dim once you turn your actual headlights on. You will get no useable output.
  • 00negro00negro Member Posts: 1
    ...no manual trans. I knew it was going to happen, but man.. I was hoping for a miracle. Looks like the G8 still is relevant in my book.
    samster - you are correct about a manual being readily available from the Camaro which the car shares a platform with, but aside from the time which would be minimal, the cost of crash testing alone might not justify the 5% or less take rate expected of a manual transmission car.

• elroy1030elroy1030 Member Posts: 1
    Lack-luster styling.....
  • bunkeibunkei Member Posts: 1
    This was the top candidate for my next car, but the lack of a manual transmission is a deal breaker. The rest of the car looks impressive; standard 19" wheels, 14" Brembos, auto park assist, HID headlamps, etc. Oh well .. perhaps for the 2015 MY they'll add a manual option.
  • flchris1037flchris1037 Member Posts: 1
    No manual transmission? That just might be a deal breaker for me. I have a G8 GT, and I absolutely want a manual transmission after having the automatic.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    They should have made this a Buick. The Buick team has better styling design and it could have been a great pinnacle luxury car for Buick.
  • rogern1967rogern1967 Member Posts: 1
    Please, please...make a 6-sp manual option....make it an extra cost option fine...but offer it. I don't buy automatics!
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Styling looks very Subaru, and quite bland.
  • john_walkerjohn_walker Member Posts: 1
    Who would buy a car that leaks oil in marketing pictures? Does it come with cat litter for your garage?

• 06speed606speed6 Member Posts: 8
    Why couldn't they put a bit of style into it? High HP LOW MPG is a tough sell these days. Enthusiasts want something more than performance. Generic looks have little staying power. Everyone knew a 1990's Impala, it had a certain je ne sais quoi.
  • 06speed606speed6 Member Posts: 8
    Hmm, I was waiting for this, and now I will buy the Cadillac ELR, it has the LOOK and MPG. The SS isn't for a $4.25 per gallon world.
  • ever12ever12 Member Posts: 22
    Needs a manual.
  • luigi837luigi837 Member Posts: 2
    does the 2014 Impala SS includes the posi-tractions ?
  • luigi837luigi837 Member Posts: 2
    does the Chevrolet Impala SS includes the posi -tractions ?
  • coloradogurucoloradoguru Member Posts: 1
    Always critics,... I'm just glad that my American pride automobile has went back to its roots with rear wheel action. I loved my CTS, and love my two Colorados. Plus my z71 suburban. But this is a sleek sleeper. I don't want it to look fast, I want it to be fast. Catch you sleeping!!! Thank you Chevy, for you guys listened to our cries!
  • coloradogurucoloradoguru Member Posts: 1
    Always critics,... I'm just glad that my American pride automobile has went back to its roots with rear wheel action. I loved my CTS, and love my two Colorados. Plus my z71 suburban. But this is a sleek sleeper. I don't want it to look fast, I want it to be fast. Catch you sleeping!!! Thank you Chevy, for you guys listened to our cries!