Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Acura ILX Coupe Is Dead

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Acura

image2015 Acura ILX Coupe Is Dead

An Acura ILX coupe was once in the company's product plan. Have slow sales of the ILX sedan altered those plans?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    I'm still in a daze after waking and finding myself in an alternate universe where a small 'luxury' Buick sells well and a small 'luxury' Acura doesn't.

Honda/Acura used to be on fire and now they have only been able to coast through some big misses on the momentum of prior hits.
  • dibbyddibbyd Member Posts: 10
    When asked to comment on the current possibility of an ILX coupe, Acura Public Relations Manager Chuck Schifsky responded, "We do not *focus* on future product or our product planning process for potential models."

There, fixed it for ya. And this is coming from a 2012 TL owner.
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    Another source reported this back in August, that the ILX coupe was dropped.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/08/acura-tlx-to-get-45-mpg-hybrid-ilx-coupe-dropped.html
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    They should have introduced the coupe first, and perhaps never done a sedan. Then there would be a clear differentiation from the similarly-priced TSX, and a clear reason to buy an ILX. Although there have been reports that the TSX is going away or moving upmarket, it didn't happen fast enough.
  • sjw91_sjw91_ Member Posts: 19
    Everyone seemed to like Acura a lot more back when they had just the Legend and Integra. Back when they actually had names for cars...
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I think Acura ILX is Japanese for "Even more overweight and under performing Civic." At least back in the day the Integra was something different and went well. Now Honda/Acura are following the GM badge-engineering model.
  • minghiminghi Member Posts: 24
    Thank GOD. I hated the ILX when it came out. It was probably the worst value for money entry level luxury??? car ever introduced.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    The Integra/RSX was just as much a badge-engineered Civic as the ILX; in Japan it was the successor to the Honda Quint and like the Quint sold with Honda badges through Honda Verno dealers while the Civic was sold at Honda Primo dealers. The ILX has the same or better power/weight ratio than the Civics with the same power train.
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    Having driven an ILX, I can understand the slow sales. While the top of the line one is pretty quick, that model is only available with a manual transmission...a big hit against big sales numbers. Overall, the car has nice styling and really good available feature content, but at a price. Also, it's lack of decent driving refinement is also an additional sore point. To make things even worse, the automatic with the base engine was just plain SLOW! Not fitting of an entry level car of any premium brand, let alone the near premium badge that Acura remains to be. Acura needs to step it up on refinement, styling and get it's performance image back before it's too late!
  • rasguetano1_rasguetano1_ Member Posts: 6
    This strays from the topic a bit but I'm sure its one that is discussed at Edmunds and probably all sites that deal with cars. What is the future of sport cars and sporty cars? I think Honda's pretty clear abandonment of enthusiast cars shows that people in general are not interested in them unfortunately. I think from here now our choices among those types of cars will dwindle. Has Edmunds ever thought about the doing an article on the future of the hobby? Road and Track is doing one although the young person they choose to participate lives in NYC. Thats like trying to get Rush Limbaugh to like President Obama.
  • garrymgarrym Member Posts: 27
    rasguetano1, You maybe right, perhaps a large portion of the younger generation is just not into cars. I look around and see many young eyes focused on their eye phones. Young people I interact with (19 - 23 years) either are not interested in owing a car or if they do, it's cheap and simply A to B transportation. Perhaps Honda believes they're right in moving away from spsorty cars. But then to what? Suzuki recently announced their departure from North America, the other Japanese automakers have nothing cheap and fun to drive for young people. What's happening out there? I've give credit to GM and Ford for doing something to attract younger buyers.

At one time I liked a number of Acura products and had the pleasure of testing a Type R Integra way back. Now a little older, I see no real driver's cars at Acura or Honda or Toyota. There is hope at Nissan with the new Altima.
  • vroom2vroom2 Member Posts: 3
    The ILX is not a bad product and is no more badge engineered than the Acura Integra. Instead of spending R&D dollars on a coupe they should focus on making the 2.4 engine standard and offering it with an automatic transmission (preferably a 6 speed). Then make sure that all the infotainment options are available on all models. Whoever thought that offering the only decent engine with only basic infotainment and a manual transmission should be fired.
  • b_thunderb_thunder Member Posts: 2
    And they wanted to sell a car that's really a sub-par car for a Honda brand as a "luxury" car at a premium price? Honda needs a reality check! This is NOT Integra or RSX, this not even a "plain" Civic the way Civics were in the 190s and 1990s.

Actually, i think all ILS versions will be dead a lot sooner than the end of its "natural" product cycle.
  • silverraritysilverrarity Member Posts: 2
    I was waiting with anticipation for the ILX to come out but unfortunately the Manual Shift is NOT being offered with Naviagation so they lost my business
  • carl0vercarl0ver Member Posts: 0
    ..to no one's surprise at all. yeah you go honda.