Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Feds, Safety Advocates Fight Over Rearview Camera Recommendation

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageFeds, Safety Advocates Fight Over Rearview Camera Recommendation

The federal government said it will add rear-view video systems to its list of recommended features in the New Car Assessment Program, but safety advocates see the move as a stalling tactic.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    It will be interesting to see how they reconcile rear visibility rules with rear impact structures, roof pillar thickness and styling.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Even with a rear view camera, my wife managed to topple our garbage cans. The government can mandate their inclusion but can't mandate their use. In this case I'd suggest backup sensors as a useful compromise that doesn't distract your eyes from your mirrors and/or rear window.
  • empowahempowah Member Posts: 70
    I don't get why more vehicles don't have backup sensors or cameras as standard equipment. I was in China this summer, and noticed that nearly all cars had parking sensors. They were as ubiquitous as power windows and A/C; you found them not just on luxury sedans and SUVs, but Corollas, Focuses, Polos, even on cheap cars from local brands.

It's not like they're expensive or advanced technology, yet they're so useful.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I want the camera (in the mirror) and some proximity noise - the noise saved me from hitting a pole in a rental car a few years back.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    I agree with empowah, the technology is downright cheap anymore. But I guess since people don't demand it they won't automatically include it. -- and agentorange, has a great point, we've styled and regulated ourselves into cars we can't see out of. Not long ago it was only SUVs that people couldn't see out of. Now it is cars of all sizes. And it isn't just rear view for backing up. No matter how you adjust the side mirrors on some cars there are still blind spots that can hide someone on 2 wheels.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    +1 to greenpony and empowah. One thing I've noticed with backup cameras is that you tend to pay attention to the screen and only the screen. Sensors on the other hand let you concentrate on backing up as usual, but emit loud noises to make you stop if you