Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Fine-Tunes Vehicles for U.S. Tastes, Including 2015 Golf

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

Comments

• tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    How about they bring over some of their more interesting vehicles (Golf R, GTD, Scirocco) instead of worrying about a couple degrees of temperature in the HVAC?
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    The temperature setting should be the air temperature of the cabin, not the temperature of the air coming out of the vents. Sorry, Germany. And throttle mapping should be linear, despite what anybody else says. Sorry, America.
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    I remember when I first bought my 2007 A3 I commented in a product survey that I didn't like having the cruise control on a stalk hidden behind the wheel. In 2007, a group of Audi factory people called me to talk about it .... so it took VAG 7 years to decided to change this. Actually, in the end I grew to prefer the cruise control stalk versus having 50 zillion buttons on the wheel, like on my current Focus.
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    And greenpony, you are correct that it is completely stupid to calibrate the HVAC such that the temperature coming out the registers matches the control settings. As an analogy, check out the temp coming out your home's registers the next time your furnace is running.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I like cruise control on the steering wheel; cool- high flow air, and a stronger throttle tip-in. Guess I must be 'merican.
  • imawildcat99imawildcat99 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 4 VW's over the course of 22 years, and I enjoyed them specifically because they were not designed for the majority of American taste.
  • tbavistbavis Member Posts: 7
    Cruise control should be usable without having to look - a stalk is much better than buttons on the steering wheel.
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    Sure, now they change all those things! I complained about all of those things on the VW I sold. Here's 2 more- a separate clock with dedicated buttons, and ability to run on low octane regular gas. OOOH, and a lever to recline the seat- not a dial! Thanks.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    I'm not really sure if this is good news or bad news.

On the one hand, it is quite understandable that VW wants to "know" their customer, and in this regards, it is encouraging to see them make adjustments in order to popularize their product ...

...however, the danger with such a strategy is that it risks alienating their existing customer base, particuarly those who were attracted to the Marquee for the very reason that it _differs_ from these Americanocentric preferences.

So this is a very slippery slope, because changing too much to cater to the American mainstream also means that the Marquee is sacrificing its cache and differentation: it is choosing to become a simple transportation commodity product which erodes their ability to charge more (which ultimately reduces Corporate profit margins).

--------------------------

Anecdotally, I've found that BMW is following a similar strategy of changing themselves to appeal to more American customers.

While shopping, I did a test drive in a 3er and found the very same "too much too early" nonlinear throttle mapping to be present. When I returned from my test drive, I overhead some other perspective customers gushing about how 'peppy' the car was, but when the BMW Rep asked me how much I liked it, I told him that I didn't. I specifically and literally said: "The Throttle Mapping is Wrong."

Ultimately, these are the sorts of design philsophy attributes which we typically consider to be "intangibles" yet which exist and motivate us to be repeat customers of a particular marquee for the longer term.

BMW lost that sale....

-hh