Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Redesigned 2014 Cadillac CTS Snarls With New 420-HP Twin-Turbo V6

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

imageRedesigned 2014 Cadillac CTS Snarls With New 420-HP Twin-Turbo V6

The all-new 2014 Cadillac CTS breaks cover with a not-so-unexpected surprise: a 420-horsepower twin-turbo V6.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    It's not as impressive when you consider most automakers are running (or have recently run) higher specific outputs on other engines (GM included).
  • cuselancer17cuselancer17 Member Posts: 53
    Shouldnt the ATS-V announcement be coming shortly?? While ill always be a sucker for V8's, this is exactly what the CTS needs. Having no option between ~330 HP and 556 was a really big gap. Cant wait for the new CTS!!
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    This engine sounds like it would be perfect for the ATS-V too. Greenpony - GM doesn't always go for the highest specific output - look no further than the LS series for evidence of that - but they generally deliver on torque and efficiency and the numbers provided here seem to back that up.
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Yeah, specific output is interesting, but hardly the most useful measure of quality. I'm interested in the weight vs. the V8 and the european rivals' turbo sixes.
  • rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    Please help me see things correctly.
    We're getting excited about another turbo engine? What happens in a couple years of ownership when you feel your power slipping away? Sure, they're awesome when new, but after 40 or 50k, they suffer from numerous boost leaks (many undetectable), "heat soak," and generally increased turbo-lag from the bearings slowly cooking.

We, the consumer are once again taking it in the shorts, starting with the feds' CAFE standards (telling a manufacturer what they'll sell) and in the end being offered the choice between NA 4 cylinders and turbos that become less fun to drive each year.

Please someone, help clear my mind and convince me to be happy about all this.
  • bizzle1bizzle1 Member Posts: 0
    That is one beautiful engine. A work of art. I can't wait to see the new CTS!!!
  • ramjrramjr Member Posts: 10
    sweeeeeeeet..... now just make the car cost under 50k
  • _driver72__driver72_ Member Posts: 13
    Surprised nobody at GM mentioned it and nobody at Edmunds did either, but my money is that this is also the engine that will be used for the Cadillac ATS-V.
  • tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    I think it's logical for this to be the ATS-V engine. If all the goodies only add 50-100 lbs (plumbing wheels/tires,etc.) this has the potential to be a very nice engine for the V. 420 hp/430lb-ft torque has the potential to move 3500 pounds of RWD vehicle quite crisply. If that car maintains or even betters the ATS handling formula, it will be a nice achievement.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    All I'm saying is that this engine is not special when placed in perspective in the marketplace. Turbo six cylinder engines are offered by BMW, Ford, Porsche, and Nissan (and probably others that I can't remember). Although GM is apparently proud of joining that club, that's hardly "laying down the law".
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Well, greenpony, this is a more powerful unit than the other turbo-sixes, save the Porsche. If I lived at high elevation, I may consider this motor, but I prefer the Corvette's new N/A V8!
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    jederino
    Don't forget the Nissan GT-R a v6 with 530hp or whatever it is these days.
  • hondafan1978hondafan1978 Member Posts: 2
    This would be a great engine in an Impala police cruiser version, or even the Chevy Caprice police car. I hope GM uses it alot, tuned differently of course depending on the application.