Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tesla To Race in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

imageTesla To Race in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Edmunds has learned exclusively that Tesla, the electric car manufacturer, will enter the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2015.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    Had me goin for a minute there, nicely done Edmunds! There's no way this is real...
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    Interesting, considering how heavy the Tesla batteries are, which makes the cars much heavier than similar rides. I guess it will be heavier, and more powerful, than the other cars? I don't know the NASCAR rules on weight and power.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I'd have picked a company with a better sense of humor. You're so going to get sued.
  • bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    Meh. This April Fool's Joke isn't even a little funny. Something even SLIGHTLY believable is typically preferred so that it fools a few people. Who's going to fall for this?

*Looks two comments up* Oooops.

I was hoping to see you guys come clean today that the whole "Edmunds What's Hot" thing was one drawn out April Fools Joke. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • pommahpommah Member Posts: 71
    Wow. NASCAR getting sophisticated! This might draw lots of euro-pretentious fans from F1. Maybe they can take this to an international crowd. I'll bet the Monte Carlo set could get into it!
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    You almost had me!
  • bibdittybibditty Member Posts: 4
    Ha Ha.
    Very good April fools joke.
    I must admit it had me going until I realized the date.
    You know if this were true Nascar would lose 98% of there fan base.
    Me included.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    To be honest, I had completely forgotten about April fools until I came to the comments section.... But this was a really funny article, especially the paragraph about the NRA fans! Thanks for this Edmunds, its a good way to start the day.
  • ansibeansibe Member Posts: 7
    You got me! HA!

I completely believed this, even to the point of wanting to comment on how NASCAR was finally taking the technological lead, and how backward thinking the "Larry Lunchbox" comment was. But, the "tiny speakers" gave it away.

Good one.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    Funny
  • horsetailhorsetail Member Posts: 1
    Nice April Fools: the joke on NRA was a real BANG!
  • gba47gba47 Member Posts: 7
    I really hate April fools day, I really do.
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    Had me going at "Department of Energy, which is committing to a three-year, $62 million deal...". That part would be believable! LOL!!!
  • stan9_stan9_ Member Posts: 1
    HA HA - April fools! I like the part abt the factory being a "Czechoslovakian research facility" since that country no longer exists but is now two separate countries.

But when is NASCAR actually going to get a hybrid racecar?

Very funny story though!
  • ninjatom21ninjatom21 Member Posts: 4
    April Fools i think
  • cmfrancocmfranco Member Posts: 1
    Ha ha, very funny. April fools!
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    april fools
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    Oh, yeah...and I actually Wiki'd "Lidocad-daleoxide battery". How bad is that!?! :)
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    if you take away all the stuff about actually racing an electric car and just do like the rest of the cars the ones in nascar are 'based on' and paint/decal the body to look like the original it would have about as much in common with a nascar car as a Fusion has in common with the nascar version that says "fusion" on it....
  • kev_in_socal_kev_in_socal_ Member Posts: 1
    Why is the Department of Energy wasting $62 million of our tax dollars on a racing sponsorship? This makes about as much sense as the post office sponsoring Lance Armstrong's team for the Tour de France. As for Tesla, if they want to reach the Larry Lunchbox crowd then try doing it with a more efficient and less expensive battery system.
  • elktrykelktryk Member Posts: 1
    April fools, Edmunds. You had me going there for a while!
  • idarkmanidarkman Member Posts: 1
    And what will happen during pit stops?
  • joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    They should not be able to put the duracell name on the car if it's not using duracell batteries..
    Good luck Tesla hope to see you win soon
  • istrangelove_istrangelove_ Member Posts: 2
    really? no comments?
  • dprivendpriven Member Posts: 10
    Man, I hate it when I read April Fools' articles a week late....