Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Ford Mustang First Look

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2015 Ford Mustang First Look

Does the all-new 2015 Ford Mustang deserve all the hype? We take an in-depth look at the changes to find out.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Well, I'm disappointed that they couldn't shave off a couple hundred pounds. But on the other hand, it looks spectacular, and shaving weight almost always means expensive materials and I would rather see the Mustang remain reasonably affordable. Can't wait to see one in person. I hope it drives as great as it looks.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    like the looks, but so much for the "World" Mustang. Width is the killer here. Wide cars only work in the wide open spaces of the US. Oh, and more weight. Remember the Southern Belle gag where she says "How nice!" and means something completely different? I'm saying it now.
  • mmmm4mmmm4 Member Posts: 8
    Might be my next ride if I ever put the E92 M3 to rest. V8 and 6MT is the only way to go for me. German cars are getting ridiculously expensive. Way more bang for the buck with this.
  • marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    Mustang and turbo just don't mix. It just doesn't sound right.
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    This Mustang is a Winner in terms of looks! Sporty and even classy too! Very nice dimensions going on. Pleasing to th eye, and yet not overwhelmingly macho. Good taste was used here, similar to European sports/y cars/sedans. I can't wait to hear how it drives and feels with it's new IRS!!! If they didn't screw up the driving feel totally, I see it outselling all 1/2/3/&4 series BMW's. And I'll for sure be thinking of trading in my 2010 GT for one of these. Wow, GREAT JOB FORD!!!!!
  • bizzle1bizzle1 Member Posts: 0
    That interior is to die for. WOW! I love it. The interior has a timeless and classic look to it. I feel giddy like a kid for this new Mustang!
  • cooper7rcooper7r Member Posts: 2
    I know it won't, but it needs to come in priced under last years model.
  • rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    Camaro enthusiasts rejoice!! All the hype and threat of this new Mustang...turns out to be mostly unfounded!
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I assume you mean the Detroit show in January. The 2.3 turbo looks like an interesting engine, especially with the power pack. Love the exterior styling, I'll reserve judgement on the interior until I sit in it.
  • pommahpommah Member Posts: 71
    I say kudos to Ford for a very nice update. I think they will keep their core customer base and expand it a bit - though I don't think they will pick up too many international sales, it's just too big and thirsty for much of that. I think they probably made the right call there from a business standpoint.

And as enthusiasts, we get a front engine, rear drive, its, manual 6-speed machine. Cannot complain about that. My bet is the turbo 4 will be a more pleasing sporty machine than the V-8 cars.

I see lots of special editions coming off of this platform over the years.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Definitely meaner and edgier. I was hoping for a little more dramatic changes on the outside to go along with the other improvements, though. We essentially will have a familiar-shaped car starting from model year 2005 all the way to probably 2020. I can't wait to see if the Ecoboost, in real-life driving, trumps the V6 for performance.
  • boff_boff_ Member Posts: 51
    Two emotions: joy that this car looks so great; schadenfreude at just how wrong Edmunds' "inside source" was about its weight and dimensions.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    as an owner of a somewhat modified 06 GT they have fixed pretty much all the issues i have with my car.

lowered the car, filled up the wheel wells (widening the rear); IRS, better brakes, reduced brake dive, better interior...

but the size and weight... i guess the size of my car isn't a big deal although i wouldn't mind it being shorter if they could keep the interior space the same. less weight is always great but that just seems impossible nowadays... they just can't help themselves!

as for styling... i'm just not feeling the front end (at least in pictures). i'll have to wait to see it in person but it isn't love at first sight.

i love the parts, just not the whole.
  • scottnsc2scottnsc2 Member Posts: 29
    I must be having my mid-life crisis. First, I liked the new Corvette styling (for the first time ever), now I'm drooling over a Mustang. Now to convince the wife.....
  • ed341ed341 Member Posts: 0
    I'm really pleased with the final design, especially the interior.

I'm sure Ford has left a lot of room for improvements in weight reduction with a Boss (or similar track ready version) and higher performance models. Use of more expensive materials like carbon fiber and aluminum can be justified in the upper end models and still keep the more basic models affordable.
  • jpk112jpk112 Member Posts: 12
    I like it!
  • aaronleongaaronleong Member Posts: 3
    A lot of folks are saying that it looks like a Fusion or Fusion coupe, but I'm going to be the first to say that it has a 2014 Mazda6 snout ( http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2013/05/01-2014-mazda6-lt-1369671254.jpg ), and a striking resemblance to a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe from the side ( http://www.carsshow.net/2013-honda-accord-coupe-concept-side-profile/ ).

What do you think?
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    Wider track isn't just for handling. It also increases the official EPA footprint, which eases the CAFE fuel economy target somewhat.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    actualsize, does the EPA footprint rule apply to cars too? I thought it was just for trucks.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    It applies to everything. Multiply average track width by wheelbase, convert to square feet, and you have footprint. Smaller footprint vehicles (cars & trucks) have higher MPG targets. There's a reason why many new cars are getting longer and wider, and this is it for the most part. Also why mini trucks are a dying breed, why no Samurai-sized Jeep is forthcoming. It may be the real reason why GM killed the regular cab short bed Silverado 1500 wheelbase altogether in 2014.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I like the 'three line' theme in the headlamp and taillights. Looks like they stole the Adidas logo.
  • isaaclisaacl Member Posts: 7
    It looks like Ford put a tuxedo on a cowboy. Its a good look. I was expecting something smaller, but hey, cant knock the automobile that sits before us. Progressive, svelte, looks kinda like the infiniti G coupe which is certainly NOT a bad thing.

Do your thing Ford.
  • joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    The front looks like the Fusion with I think looks dated.
    From the windshield back it is a great looking car.
    Ford cut corners by using the Fusion front end sad.
    Was not worth the wait they talked about an all new yet borrower styling form existing model of Ford.
    Disappointed
  • 300zxguy300zxguy Member Posts: 1
    A long time Mustang fan, though never owned one, I mostly like what I see. The interior certainly looks higher quality, just not sure I'm sold on the design (though still worlds above the miserable Camaro interior). I dig the side mirror mounts, very nicely done, looks much more elegant than the typical way door mounted mirrors are done. I kind of wish they kept the "hockey stick" painted B-pillars, if for no other reason than it would make the profile more uniquely Mustang - seems like almost every car and truck has blacked out B-pillars for quite some time now (someone has already commented that the side glass looks like the Accord coupe). Lastly, not sure about the body side crease continuing behind the rear wheel well. This same element looks pretty bad on the Taurus. It doesn't look to bad here, in photos, but its the kind of think I'll have to wait to see how it looks in person.
  • mobiusstripmobiusstrip Member Posts: 3
    So this car's still a major fat-[non-permissible content removed], and the convertible will be even worse.

GJ, Ford.
  • joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    Not impressed. the claim of an all new Mustang is a fizzle by using the basic front end from the Fusion they took the unique look Mustang had and scraped it.
    Ford claimed it would be lighter nope, smaller nope, all new nope.
    From the windshield back it looks great but it will only make Camaro sale stronger.
    Sorry Ford you missed on this one.
    actualsize, thanks for the info. It was enlightening. They must have added the "footprint" into the legislation as a sort of loophole to (sort of) get around the ever-increasing fuel economy regs. So the trend will be to move wheels to the corners like a Formula-1 car; interesting.
    I guess having owned a Mustang is as good a qualification as any to judge this latest incarnation, so here's my two cents. I was fooled by the rumor mill into thinking this version would be something completely different, so my first reaction was one of disappointment. I was underwhelmed. The front doesn't look like a Fusion; it looks like a Taurus. The rear looks, well, different... although I've always been more partial to the notchback or traditional coupe style over a fastback. Granted, apparent improvements have been made in terms of interior design and suspension design, and the rumored boost in V8 power as well as a new turbo 4-cyl are exciting, but overall I'm not so sure I'd rather own one of these instead of a '14.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    So they detuned the V6 so they could sell more eco-turds.... Then watch as it loses power every year and dies an early death.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    Could they put the dash controls any lower? Maybe put them in the back seat? Ford really wants you to take your eyes off the road I guess, so you can crash it and buy another one!
  • tomsjaytomsjay Member Posts: 14
    As some comments said the basic design dna is borrowed from Honda design that is a good thing . All the creases from profile accord coupe then fitted with trademark head and tail lights and grill.
  • justnizjustniz Member Posts: 1
    Well done for finally getting rid of the live axle - tech directly copied from a 16th century ox-cart. Maybe in another 20 years or so you will eventually get rid of the 1950's era McPherson struts. Wake up Ford, its 2013 already. where are the independent dual wishbones that every even half-decent European car has been getting as standard for decades?
  • cbrandi_cbrandi_ Member Posts: 40
    Looks like its time to start buying American again. We are making some fine cars and this Mustang is one of them. I also love the new Vette. We're all bored with German cars and German anti-American attitude. Every time I go there for business I get these subtle put-downs about how we're declining. I'd be proud to drive a Mustang, and in truth the Germans would as well.
  • zx2manzx2man Member Posts: 1
    I wouldnt "rejoice" quite yet. This is the only article I had read where the mustang gains weight. Every other source, including Ford themselves are saying its lighter than previous model. So until I see the car on the scales, I not believing anything. Its pretty much getting a Boss 302 v8 440ish hp. It has bigger valves,better cams,intake mani, higher flowing head and forged rods. If your a Camaro fanboi, stick with it. Its a great car.
  • harrywildharrywild Member Posts: 2
    Not sure how I feel about this Mustang! It not the car that was on many Mustang concepts! It pretty much the same old, design as the 2005 model. The interior looks a little more up to date but still has the retro looking center dash.

I may just wait to see other sport cars! I kind want to have a nice, luxurious sport car - especially with an upscale interior and feel. This Mustang looks great on the outside but inside still kind of rough looking. Have to see it in person to draw a conclusion on however.
  • mph1970mph1970 Member Posts: 1
    It's beautiful, I love American sports cars so I might be biased.
  • shelbygthshelbygth Member Posts: 2
    "The end result is a car that is instantly recognizable as a Mustang."

I know of no Mustang that has a body line/crease in the rear quarter like this design has. They did the SAME thing with Taurus. Looks ridiculous - like it has a dent. Very out of place. Front end looks like a Mitsu Lancer Evo/Ford Focus and others with the wide gape. From the side, the belt line looks very similar to the Camaro. All manufacturers/designers are copying each other. No individuality whatsoever. I hope the aftermarket folks can come up with some good looking body kits. It's gonna need 'em.
  • shelbygthshelbygth Member Posts: 2
    Meant to say "Fusion" vs. "Focus"....
  • 67mustang0767mustang07 Member Posts: 1
    THEY FINALY FIXED THE CUP HOLDERS!
  • carjack1carjack1 Member Posts: 1
    Wonder if they could make a one off for like a $100k with aliuminum chassis and carbon fiber and go head to head with z06. 3300 punds 700 hp and racing shocks!
  • davidred15davidred15 Member Posts: 1
    Getting mixed information about the curb weight here. http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015-ford-mustang-goes-on-a-diet.html