Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Corvette: A Historical Look at Corvette Performance

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette: A Historical Look at Corvette Performance

In the history of the Chevy Corvette, where does the new C7 stand performancewise?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Intersting, but you couldn't include a link to a googledocs sortable spreadsheet?
  • pommahpommah Member Posts: 71
    Sports cars have gotten too big and too unusably fast. You can only use a fraction of that power most of the time. Make it smaller, lighter, more efficient. Maybe a little bigger than a Miata with a baby V-8 yet 0-60 in 6 seconds and a wonderful ability to drive quickly on back roads. Move back to the 1960's model size when the wheelbase was nearly a foot shorter. Less brute force, more agility.
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    @pommah - so you're thinking BRZ-size with a bigger engine?
  • ryandigiryandigi Member Posts: 5
    That IS the Subaru BRZ and twin already. I sure would hope a v8 miata sized car or even a v6 (or large 4 cylinder) would be much much quicker than 0-60 of 6 seconds since the current miata is already at 6.5.
  • pommahpommah Member Posts: 71
    I have the Miata and BRZ at upper 6 seconds; so let's say under 6 seconds. GM made an all-aluminum 3.5 liter V8 back in the 60's; why not something that size in a ~100 inch wheelbase car? A very lightweight, agile machine with still enough oomph to have fun on an on-ramp without attracting the highway patrol.

Yes the new Corvette beats Ferrari's at a fraction of the price. But you can't drive these machines anywhere near their limits except on a track or at a very real risk of going to jail. To harness all the power these machines have gotten enormous, removing all pleasure of driving them on the lesser-traveled twisty roads, the only place one can enjoy spirited driving anymore.
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    Great list and photo selection. While clicking to the next picture (and not looking at the thumbnails), when I got to the 2014 it was almost a wow-factor moment. Try it. The more I look at the 2014, the more I love it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the chrome bar in the grille, but that's nothing a can of PlastiDip can't take care of.